Ariel56 Need to get off Seroquel

Ariel56

I have Bipolar 1 disorder, classified as treatment resistant and rapid cycling. I am on many Psyc Meds, But need to get off Seroquel as quickly and safely as possible. I take from 200 mg to 300 mg daily. Along with it I take total of 1000 mg Metformin Daily to protect against diabetes, common with this med. I have been on the med for about 7 yrs and have gained ,80 pds. Do to this I now have severe blood pressure. Taking 3 meds for hiigh BP. The weight gain at the age of 56 is affecting my health greatly. Nothing I try on the med allows me to lose weight., If we're not for Seroquel's very bad side effects I would stay on it because it is one of the only meds I have taken that helps my very bad bipolar symptoms.

I just got out of the hospital for severe depression and mixed symptoms including severe agitation and irritability along with increase in internal anxiety. My doctor wants me to switch over to Latuda while getting off Seroquel.

I don't know the best way to get off Seroquel, and I am not sure about the Latuda. Also, how do I handle the bipolar symptoms off it.

Has anyone gained as much weight as I have from Seroquel. Did you lose after being off ?

• Administrator

Welcome, Ariel.

Here's a topic about tapering off Seroquel http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tapering-off-seroquel/

We recommend a 10% taper per month to minimize withdrawal risks.

The atypical antipsychotics are notorious for weight gain.

See this article about a recent study that says they're not worth the risks to people over 40 http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/Schizophrenia/36126

In a randomized trial, there was a lack of significant improvement in psychopathology and a high cumulative incidence of metabolic syndrome (36.5% in 1 year) and of serious and nonserious adverse events (23.7% and 50.8%, respectively), Dilip Jeste, MD, of the University of California San Diego, and colleagues reported.

But there's been growing concern about cardiovascular and metabolic issues with these drugs -- particularly olanzapine (Zyprexa) -- and the FDA has issued a warning about cerebrovascular adverse events and a boxed warning about increased mortality with their use in dementia-related psychosis.

There also are few data on longer-term use of these drugs.

So to compare the long-term safety and efficacy of the four most commonly used atypical antipsychotics -- aripiprazole (Abilify), olanzapine, quetiapine (Seroquel), and risperidone (Risperdal) -- the researchers assessed 332 patients over age 40 who had schizophrenia, mood disorders, PTSD, or dementia.

Patients were followed for up to 2 years and the researchers looked at several outcomes, including primary metabolic markers -- such as body mass index, blood pressure, fasting blood glucose, cholesterol, and triglycerides -- as well as adherence, psychopathology, and adverse events.

Overall, they found a higher incidence of serious adverse events with quetiapine (38.5% versus 19% for the other three drugs, P=0.002), so it was discontinued halfway through the trial....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

When you have time, I'd like to know more about your Bipolar 1 diagnosis. What led up to that initial diagnosis and how was it first treated?

So often in a person's history I've noticed that they were put on strong antidepressants and kept there for months to years, then taken off the drug too abruptly, which usually leads to agitation, anxiety, and depression. Most doctors diagnose these symptoms as a relapse or "unmasked" Bipolar when in actuality they are a result of being removed from the drugs too quickly. If you have a history of starting, stopping or switching drugs without careful tapering off, your current symptoms may well be the result of repeated drug withdrawal or drug side effects rather than Bipolar. To the best of my knowledge, true Bipolar is extremely rare and is often self-limiting without treatment.

I really hate to see people taking these drugs and suffering such terrible health problems. :(

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Silver Star

No there is no question about my diagnosis, I have strong family history of the illness. My mother who committed suicide at the age of 49 ,an uncle , two cousins, and a great uncle. My first episode was when I was 8 yrs old, my ,first depressive episode. In 9th grade I developed a much more severe depression so bad I never went to high school. I was given Maoi's but never took them. I was unable to leave the house for a very longtime, due to some psychotic symptoms. As I reached my 20's things resolved I started to resume life with a setback when my mom died. There was no mention of bipolar yet. In my 20's and into my late 30's , except for some mild anxiety I had no symptoms. I developed a great career, Manager systems Analyst at a Major teaching hospital. I was married had a son. In my late 30's, due to stress, I start to become depressed again. I would say before this I was hypo manic much of the time..I was put on Prozac and had my first full blown manic episode soon after. I went out on long term disability and it has been a nightmare of multiple hospitalizations, multiple suicide attempts. Over 50ect treatments. When I had my first manic episode my family was looked at and mom was finally diagnosed as well as myself. I went to John Hopkins Hospital last yr for 2 weeks for evaluation and treatment. They said I was the worse case of rapid cycling they had ever seen. There main goal was to get the cycling under control and put me on Lithium again. Unfortunately I developed severe diarrhea and had to stop. I haven't taken anti-depressants since I was diagnosed almost 20 yrs ago. I just finished some experimentally IV Ketamine infusion treatments. These were self pay. They worked very well but I ran out of money. They only drawback with Ketamine is it does not last long enough. I need to get off Seroquel quicker than you are saying. The weight issue can't wait.

Also after the Seroquel I need to taper down a 12 yes 12mg Atiivan daily dose prescribed by my PDOC.

Hi Ariel,

It is important, IMO, to be judicious and rational when making decisions with potent medications such as these.

I used to take seroquel, at around 1000mg/day, and I put on a lot of weight. It inspired a lot of food cravings for me. I ate a lot of sweets, ice cream, that sort of thing. My highest weight was about 235lbs. I currently weigh around 160 and I need to regain some. I did not experience high BP but I had horrible lethargy and somedays could barely get out of bed. Fatigue was by far my worst side effect. I lost so much life to lack of energy on Drugs.

It took me a while to get off some of my medications, but I am still taking some. I currently take benzodiazepines and am balancing my need to go fast with my need to go slow.

On this forum, we recommend individuals taper cautiously, especially at first, to avoid unforeseen, destabilizing withdrawal which is not well understood by psychiatrists.

Please take a look around and familiarize yourself with some of the topics which may ring some bells of familiarity for you.

Welcome to the forum.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I here what you are saying Alex, Wow ! Someone who understands about the Seroquel. Yes I have a lot of fatigue and lack of ambition, too. It is hard for someone who use to be active and enjoyed doing things so much. I was known for being creative and coming up with so many ideas for projects and following thru on them. People in my neighborhood would constantly stop if I was outside gardening and remark and be impressed by what I did with plants, I would be out there as soon as it was light. Now if I do anything it feels like a chore. I'm 56 but I know it's

not my age that is doing this. It is a circle of depression/mixed/manic, more meds, more weight, harder to do anything, shame about the weight, so more depression, and round and round.

I have been trying to get off the Seroquel for awhile now. I was off it totally for a little time. I went into a horrible mixed state and attempted suicide. There is NO DOUBT I am bipolar, I know so many people are labeled that, I have seen that during my many hospitalizations. But, I am in that small percentage that has the genetic loading plus life experience that activated the disorder.

I need to lose at least 80 pds. My health is going down hill from the weight. From past experience, for me, any dose of Seroquel prevents me from losing. That is why I need to get off totally as quickly and safely as possible. I am even considering Gastric Bypass. Crazy isn't it. But I want to get off Seoquel first and try losing first. Someone was trying to convince me about Adipex, I am so desperate I listened. That would be a disaster if I did that.

The other concern is what do I take in place of Seroquel, my doctor is suggesting Latuda, from what I have read it is only slightly better than Seroquel. There was a point about 10 years ago when I was off all meds and tried to convince myself I didn't have bipolar 1. It was good for a little while. I started out hypo manic , that was grand. But soon that developed into out of control mania requiring hospitalization for my safety. I was so manic I did not see it, I thought I possed super powers. Lithium doesn't agree with me. I take high potency fish oil and other vitamins. I take Tegretol, but it real doesn't do much for me. Tried all the atypical anti-psychotics, they all caused bad akathesia.

I feel so concerned about my physical and mental health. It almost feels life is over for me, it is if I am just existing.

Any ideas ?

I feel fortunate but also let down.

I was recently blessed to have 11 'experimental' ketamine infusions for severe bipolar depression. That is treatment resistant. After 2 yrs of bringing him all the research data on ketamine for resistant depressions, my PDOC partnered with an anesthesiologist and surgi center to offer this non FDA approved treatment to people like me.

Ketamine infusions have been being used off label for refractory pain patients for about 10 yrs. This is when scientists started to look at its properties and a possible role in other areas including the worse cases of depression. I should state this now , KETAMINE WILL NOT BE THE FINAL ANSWER, but it has spurred the most exciting and revolutional brain research in 50 yrs. Being an Nmda antagonist working on the glutamate system in the brain. The ACTION of this type drug is nuero regenerating. It has been proven to repair NUERONS damaged by other depression treatments and the effects of the depression itself. I am just summarizing a lot of the research articles I have read. They are available on the internet.

There are some new drugs in Phase 3 clinical trials that have come out of the research on ketamine. As I said their action in the brain is nothing like what existing anti- depressants work. They work within hours, instead of damaging the brain, they repair damage in the brain.

The ketamine treatments I had in the surgi center, were miraculous. I came back to life. My husband was astounded. Now the letdown, and I knew this, the affect of ketamine wears off.

This varies for each person. I seemed to get 10 days. This is on the low side. Also, they are self pay being non FDA approved. I ran out of money. That taste of life I haven't felt in years has given me hope for those new meds on the horizon.

As I said all the info I related here is summarized from many research articles and clinical trial data I read. Also from my personal experience.

I am not advocating anything, I am just wondering, if anyone else has had ketamine infusions and what was your experience. Also, has anyone else been reading up on this amazing new research.

it wears off -- that means it's most likely not neurogenerative.

sounds like pharma hype. Drugs that make you high will certainly make you feel good...ketamine is a rave party drug that is highly addictive too.

I'm sorry you got your expectations and emotions played with...that's the part that makes me the angriest...it's very hard to do that roller coaster...I got off a long time ago

healing generally takes time...a lot of time...

pharmaceutical "miracles" likely come with a high cost...

I personally would never consider ketamine...and most likely any drug coming out of pharma for the psyche in our lifetime.

I've written about ketamine some on my blog. I also write a lot about self-care strategies for long-term wellness...no miracles.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Really REALY !!!

I don't mean to be disrespectful but did you real read EVERYTHING I WROTE. KETAMINE IS AN ANESTHETIC USED IIN THE BATTLEFIELD ON OUR SOLDIERS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T

CAUSE RESPIRATORY DEPRESSION AND THEY CAN BE OPERATED ON QUICKLY !!!! DID YOU KNOW THAT !!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PATIENTS WITH A HORIBLE PAIN SYNDROME THAT CAN HAVE LIVES BECAUSE OF IT !!! NO ONLY THAT IT IS S RAVE DRUG !!! COME ON ...

.ALSO DID YOU READ THE PART THAT THE JIST OF WHAT I WAS SAYING WAS NOT ABOUT KETAMINE BUT ABOUT THE INCREDIBLE RESEARCH THAT IS GOING ON BECAUSE OF IT !!

IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES REPAIR BRAIN TISSSUE, CAN I POINT YOU TO THOSE RESEARCH ARTICLES !!! WAKE UP PEOPLE GET REALLY EDUCATED !!!

I AM NOT LET DOWN NOT BY THE TREATMENTS THAT GAVE ME THE FIRST RELIEF IN YEARS! I I AM LET DOWN BY MY INSURANCE COMPANY THAT WON't PAY FOR IT !!! I NOW CARRY HOPE FOR THESE NEW MEDS BEING DEVELOPED. BECAUSE I TRULY HAVE BAD BAD BIPOLAR DISORDER, and there are no drugs currently available that can help m

severe depressive episodes without giving me horrible side effects and really don't work or make me manic. THERE ARE NO DRUGS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE THAT CAN HELP ME FROM ATTEMPTING OR COMMITING SUICIDE LIKE MY MOTHER !!! I LOOK FORWARD TO A NEW MED ON THE HORIZON BECAUSE OF KETAMINE THAT WILL REPAIR MY BRAIN DAMAGED BY ECT AND OTHER TREATMENTS?

HYPE REALLY HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT !! HOW DARE YOU !!!

ARE YOU GOING TELL SOMEONE WITH PARKINSON'S NOT TO TAKE THESE NEW REVOLUNTARY MEDS THAT WILL POSSIBLY CURE THEM

ARE YOU GOING TO TELL SOMEONE WITH HORRIBLE LOU GEHRIGS DISEASE NOT TO TAKE THEM

ARE YOU GOING TO TELL AN ALZHEIMER'S PATIENT NOT TO TRY THEM

ARE YOU GOING TELLING ME ME DON't TAKE THESE MEDS AND HAVE MY LIFE BACK AND HAVE MY BRAINED HEALED FROM THE ILLNESS ITSELF !!!!

IGNORANCE MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT BLISS !!!

DO YOU PROMOTE SUFFERING WHEN ON THE HORIZON IS REAL HOPE ?????

I HAVE BEEN POURING OVER THE RESEARCH FOR YEARS NOW, PLEASE DO NOT BELITTLE WHAT I AM TRYING TO SHARE !!

HOPE HOPE HOPE

HAVING AN OPEN MIND IS A GREAT GIFT !

ARY

DID YOU HEAR ANYTHING I WROTE OR WERE

YOU JUST RAMBLING!!! I WOULD REALY BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING !!! I HATE CLOSED MINDED PEOPLE !! WITH PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS !

DOES YOUR VIEW OF WELLNESS HELP PEOPLE WITH LOU GEHRIGS FROM DYING ???

PLEASE ANSWER I WANT TO KNOW

Capitalization of letters generally means someone is yelling in internet dialogue. I won't respond while you're yelling. I did not intend to offend you...it's clear now that we come from different perspectives. I have no desire to change yours. So take care.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

NO not yelling , just passionate and wanting to make sure you see everything I write. Because your original post seemed to point to the fact that you had not. I know many people who write in caps, never knew that means yelling ???? Where is that info from ?

Also, Giak

I'm not concerned about diff in opinions, but your first post back contained some false statements, If you are going to post back on an important topic you should now of what you talk.

Ariel,

Almost all of the posters to this forum experienced extremely negative reactions from drugs. Most of us, at this point, are understandably leery of them.

For me, I've learned a lot about how the body is affected by psychoactive medications and I've learned that the body reacts to these compounds in ways that are reflect a short- and long-term response. I've experienced extensive suffering as my nervous system adapted, over time, to my medications so that eventually they were extremely damaging and, worse yet, getting off of them became extremely tough because of this adaptation. I must be very careful now what I put into my body.

It sounds like you feel that ketamine was helpful for you.

It is important to realize that most posters here are physically or psychologically unable to take potent psychoactives. After the ordeal I went through I realize now that I prefer to heal without a reliance on a drug. So I am not willing to take them.

In any event, it's important to be respectful to other posters on the forum. We tend not to use the all caps or extensive exclamatory punctuation.

I hope, from the browsing on this site you've done, you can see how earnest we are in supporting people who wish to, as safely as possible, taper themselves off medication. That's the way we help people. There are other forums dedicated to discussing pharmacological approaches too, so don't feel confined in gathering info and seeking support.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this nightmare. We've all been through terrible ordeals and know a lot of the pain you speak of.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Hello, Ariel, I merged your topics. Only one topic to a customer in the Intro forum, and we don't have a forum to discuss experimental psychiatric treatments.

In fact, the position of this site is that we're highly dubious of all these high-tech treatments, including drugs, as they tend to generate iatrogenic complications mistaken for relapse or emergence of psychiatric disorders.

In short, this is a site for tapering off psychiatric drugs and dealing with withdrawal symptoms, not for discussing what drugs or treatments to try next. Because of our own experiences, we're wary of the party line coming from psychiatry about psychiatric disorders. We know that in many, many cases, the doctors were full of cr*p.

I can see many markers of iatrogenic conditions in your history, particularly whatever was called "treatment-resistant." I can see some places where you've been told some questionable things about bipolar disorder by your doctors.

There is a lot of controversy as to the validity of bipolar diagnosis in general. There are people who "unpatient" themselves and deal with their symptoms without high-tech interventions and find they do a lot better.

If you've run out of drugs to take, you might consider non-drug interventions. This doctor might be able to discuss them with you http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/page__view__findpost__p__28225

We will be happy to support you in your Seroquel taper, but we can't advise you about what drug or treatment to try next.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

And you don't think I haven't been hurt. Not only my disorder but by the suicide of my mother when I was 22.

Again and again I say the take home is not I say not Ketamine. It is the greatest research in 50 yrs. that could generate meds that will not hurt people. That will see less causilities to suicide.

Like I said this is far reaching

Currently Lou GEHRIGS is a horrible death sentence would you tell someone like this don't take this new med because it could hurt you no you tell them they no longer have a death sentence.

My suffering has been immense, Every Psyc med that exists with terrible side effects and no relief. Over 50 ECT treatments that gave me permanent memory loss. Multiple serious suicide attempts. Loss of all my family and friends. A life of nothingness. I have been disabled on disability for 20 years.

As I said I know what I'm talking about if anyone should be weary it should be me. But this time for once I am not. If you prefer to wallow fine, I'm not and I have done the research. This is the real thing. At least read about before passing judgement.

• Administrator

All the same, this site is about tapering off medications. Most people here are quite adverse to getting tangled up with psychiatrists again. You may not find the discussion you want here.

Alostrata

Are you saying I don't have bipolar, well then I must be from mars. Are you a doctor, have you observed me over the last 20yrs. I have tried all the non drug treatments. Unfortunately they don't work. Would you suggest an insulin dependent diabetic stop their insulin. Tell them they are not diabetic and take some vitamins instead. Where you there when I had my first episode at 14 severe depression with psychosis, Wasn't on any meds at all then. Took 5 years to resolve, never went High School because of it.

Just wondering what your background is that you can make such off the wall comments.

You are right this site is not for me. Did you read my history I am With no DOUBTS bipolar. Family genetics and all . I probably know more about bipolar than anyone. Like most true bipolars I am very intelligent actually tested as a genius. So your condescending tone is unacceptable.

Before my disability I was in medical research at one of the nations most well known and respected teaching hospitals in Philadelphia.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ariel - no one here will diagnose or undiagnose someone. If you go to Gia's blog you will see she has a pretty comprehensive history of taking heavy psych drugs over a long period. As do many of her contributors.

From what you have told us in your history your first manic episode was secondary to taking Prozac. So, whilst you may be genetically predisposed to developing the disorder, it was the drug that turned the switch?

I have discovered over the last few years that there are differing viewpoints on psych disorders and their treatments - my eyes were particularly opened by reading 'Anatomy of an Epidemic'

I wish you well in your quest to get off seroquel.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

you don't diagnosis what did you just do ! You all think you know so much but is obvious yo do not. You are just like me suffering from either a major psychiatric illness or the affects of the treatment from one. Are you a doctor ? I would never be so bold to tell you or make comments as to what your problems stem from or not. Do you know becoming quickly manic on an anti depressant along with an earliy in life episode are hallmarks of true bipolar disorder. I have not taken anti depressants since than , 20 yrs, so what has caused all my Manic episodes since ? Oh sure you have an uneducated answer.

God says you all did not pass the test. He says you are doing your members a big disservice. You keep them in extended misery. You even ask them to give you money.

You pass judgement without the correct knowledge. God doesn't even do that. You all brought me misery by your Diagnosis that are not diagnosis. Your cultish answers. I came to this site and found a bunch of robots repeating the same c...p. You are all so negative , could not take my message of hope. I feel sorry for you and sorry for me to think I found something real.

I know hope exists for me, but certainly not here. Shame on all of you!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started to taper my Seroquel 4 days ago. I have been on it for 7 yrs. My dose 200 to max of 300mg daily.. I'm down to 150 mg daily, it has been 4 days now. I feel great much less sedated, sleep less, which is good because I was sleeping too much. In 3 days I'm going down another 50. Great within a month should be totally off. Can't wait! Than I can dive into my weight loss program.

Anyone that has been on Seroquel probably knows what I am saying about the weight. Too bad it has nasty side effects because it really helped my Bipolar 1 symptoms. Especially the strong suicidal feelings and dangerous mixed states and the can't move depression.

I'm upping my fish oil dose that I take daily and making sure I meditate and do yoga daily. I am also scheduling more Reki appointments. All this in anticipation of being totally off.

Wish Me Luck

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad that you're feeling better and I certainly do wish you the best of luck.

I moved your post here because it's about your progress through withdrawal. Only one Intro to a customer and it's a lot easier to track this way, sort of like a journal. The Tapering discussion is for more general information and questions about tapering.

When you want to post again, just locate your Intro and click on the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page. Thanks.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

No one is probably going to read this because I have been a total b....ch.

I just started to taper my Seroquel 4 days ago, but for the latst 2 to 3 weeks I go between these horrible irritable and confrontational moods. To thinking God is speaking to me, .Then to deep deep depression with suicidal feelings. I am pushing everyone away from me.

I am afraid this will only get worse as I go down on the Seroquel. Believe it or not my 'normal' self is very kind and quiet.

• Administrator

You may note we recommend a taper of 10% per month, quite a bit slower than the tapering schedule you've started.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum/

One reason is so that you can tell the difference between withdrawal symptoms and any background symptoms you have.