To Trust Medicine or Not?

Ariel56

Just be careful about not changing people's diagnosis and giving medical advice. That should be done by medical professionals.

Just be careful about not changing people's diagnosis and giving medical advice. That should be done by medical professionals.

You naively place far too much trust in medical professionals. I know for a fact that most of those diagnoses were established solely for the purpose of making money. The DSM is basically a book with checklists a doctor can use to categorize a person so he can write a number on a healthcare form and get a paycheck for it. It's all bullsh*t. It has nothing to do with actual factual information as they often will push square symptoms in round holes to give you a diagnosis for insurance and then you are labelled through life. You should be aware of that. Once you get a 'diagnosis' there are ways it can be tracked and I have known people who have had problems come up because of labels that were given simple to get a paycheck. Those labels then alter the way a doctor views the patient and their reporting of symptoms. You have no idea just how dangerous psych labels can be. They do you no favors and you are naive if you think they do.

You naively place far too much trust in medical professionals. I know for a fact that most of those diagnoses were established solely for the purpose of making money. The DSM is basically a book with checklists a doctor can use to categorize a person so he can write a number on a healthcare form and get a paycheck for it. It's all bullsh*t. It has nothing to do with actual factual information as they often will push square symptoms in round holes to give you a diagnosis for insurance and then you are labelled through life. You should be aware of that. Once you get a 'diagnosis' there are ways it can be tracked and I have known people who have had problems come up because of labels that were given simple to get a paycheck. Those labels then alter the way a doctor views the patient and their reporting of symptoms. You have no idea just how dangerous psych labels can be. They do you no favors and you are naive if you think they do.

Starlitegirlx,

I'm sorry you have been hurt so much. I have too, more than you could quess. But I'm not at the point where I have given up all hope on the medicall profession have been hospitalized over 50 times in the ast 20 yrs on Psyc wards. I have seen my fair share of bad treatment, but there are a few good stories I could tell you about. I have met some jerks for doctors. But I have also met a few gems. Last Nov I spent 2 weeks down at John Hopkins hospital for evaluation and treatment. My doc was Psychiatrist Karen Swartz. She is head of the bipolar unit, as well as women's health unit. She also has a second degree in public health. Dr Swartz and her team talked to me not at me, always asked what I thought. The first thing she said to me was you are on too many meds. She wanted me to come down to the bare minimum. They stressed exercise, good eating, talk therapy and some alternative treatments. She was not a pill pusher. She had genuine passion for what she did. People came there from all over the world. She took away more meds than she gave. I saw her re diagnosis about 5 people who came in with bipolar. The night I was going to leave my son was in a rollover car accident, I was 2 hrs from home. She stayed up the whole night with me as updates kept coming in.

My comments were just restating what are in the rules, nothing more.

Again, I am sorry you have been so hurt

• Moderator Emeritus

I started this topic because the original topic, "Ode of Thanks to Altrostrata" was an inappropriate place for an argument about whether or not to trust mainstream medicine and psychiatry.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

My comments were just restating what are in the rules, nothing more.

Those rules are not SurvivingAntidepressant.org rules. I think you must have us confused with some other forum.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.