Dooter - Tapering off of Lexapro

Dooter

Hello, I'm Dooter - I've been lurking around this site for the past couple months or so. I've gathered a lot of very useful info from here to help me in my journey to be free of A/Ds, specifically Lexapro.

I think my main reason for wanting to be free is my general frustration with psychiatrists (at least the ones I've dealt with - I've had 3 different doctors total). I'm tired of their condensending responses to me when I've had side effects, I'm tired of them handing out A/D's like candy, I'm tired of them not being up front with me about the side effects and how I would become so dependent on the drugs, and I'm tired of the general lack of respect from them - waiting for hours sometimes in the waiting room for them - the last dr I had didn't even bother to show up to work the last time. That was when I decided I'd had enough, and I walked out.

So, I am going at this Lexapro taper without being under the guidance of a medical professional. A little scary, but that's where I am at with it. I have 2 months worth of 20mg tablets left. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make them stretch - I might have to look into an overseas pharmacy to purchase more so that I can taper slowly enough - I've never tried that route before, so I'm a little anxious about that.. Ideally, I'd like to find a doctor I trust to help me taper, but I just don't think I will find one.

I am scared and hopeful at the same time. I am scared because I know what discontinuation feels like, and it's the worst thing I've ever felt. It felt like I was going insane and might never feel right again, along with the horrible flu-like symptoms that plagued me for months, constantly. I am scared I will feel all of that again at some point during the taper. I am hopeful because I remember the person I used to be before A/D's - I had energy, I was a healthy weight, I enjoyed sex, and I had a personality and had feelings. I am hopeful that I will regain those qualities once again and no longer just be a shell of my former self.

Currently, I am dissolving my 20 mg Lexapro tablets in 20 mg of distilled water, then using a graduated syringe to measure up my dosage. Pretty easy, but I would have never known how to do that without the invaluable info on this site. :]

I am currently at 10.2 mg/day, and I am only just now starting to feel the slightest waves of lightheaded-ness. I probably wouldn't even notice them if I hadn't already felt what discontinuation was in the past - now I am hyper-aware of the symptoms, which is probably a good thing because I'll know when I need to slow down before things get out-of-hand.

I'm sure I'm leaving out info, not on purpose of course - if something isn't clear, please ask!

It's nice to meet you all!

Wellbutrin XL (summer 2005 - winter 2005) - horrible digestive side effects

Paxil (winter 2005 - summer 2007) - Worked okay, but Dr. switched me to Lexapro when I became pregnant

Lexapro (10 mg/day) (summer 2007 - spring 2008) - quit cold-turkey after feeling good and thinking I didn't need it anymore. HORRIBLE discontinuation symptoms, anxiety/depression returned as well.

Celexa (20 mg/day) (summer 2008 - winter 2008) - didn't really work, went back to Lexapro

Lexapro (20 mg/day) (Winter 2008 - current)

*** Tapering of Lexapro began in Oct 2012 ***

reduced by 25%: 15 mg/day for a month

reduced by 20%: 12 mg/day for a month

reduced by 15%: 10.2 mg/day for 2 wks

updosed back to 11 mg/day - 12/14/12

very few of us have anything resembling competent medical supervision because it pretty much doesn't exist...so you're not alone in that.

I did well with simply having a doctor who listened to what I needed and prescribed what I needed as well...

have you considered that you will most likely need a prescriber? unless you have a stock of the stuff you do need a doctor to keep it coming until you get off of all of it.

oh...if you're having withdrawal symptoms for the first time it's a good idea to hold your taper until the symptoms remit completely.

best to you...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Hi GiaK,

Yes, I plan to hold at the 10.2mg/day until the lightheaded-ness subsides, however slight it may be - I don't want to push it. Actually, should I hold at 10.2 mg/day, or should I go back up to the last dosage that I didn't feel any symptoms on, which was 12 mg/day?

And yes, I'm on the fence right now as to whether I am going to risk trying trying out an overseas pharmacy to purchase my Lexapro from (they all seem so shady, I just don't know how I'm going to find a trustworthy one), or if I'm going to try to find a doctor who is at least somewhat understanding but most importantly will prescribe me the Lexapro.

Will a general practicioner prescribe A/D's? I've only ever been seen by psychiatrists for my anxiety/depression, and I really don't want to try to find another psychiatrist - I just don't trust them.

Paxil (winter 2005 - summer 2007) - Worked okay, but Dr. switched me to Lexapro when I became pregnant

Lexapro (10 mg/day) (summer 2007 - spring 2008) - quit cold-turkey after feeling good and thinking I didn't need it anymore. HORRIBLE discontinuation symptoms, anxiety/depression returned as well.

Celexa (20 mg/day) (summer 2008 - winter 2008) - didn't really work, went back to Lexapro

yes, GPs will prescribe them...and you might not have to get into details with them at all...which might be best...

I'm sorry I didn't WELCOME you...I'm not on here all the time and my head is in a fog today.

So WELCOME.

I think that if this is the first time you've felt any withdrawal I would stay at this level. But then maybe make a smaller cut next time...to see if you can avoid any symptoms at all.

Others might have better advice too. I suspect they'll be piping in soon.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thank you! :D

Oh, that's a relief - perhaps that would be best then, to just find a GP to prescribe me the Lexapro. I've been meaning to find a GP anyways, just because I should have a general doctor - I just have been procrastinating about it forever - yeah, that's one of a whole bunch of things that Lexapro has made me good at - procrastinating! Ugh!

Yes, I came out of the gate a little strong with the reduction of the Lexapro, I plan on making the next cut (whenever that may be) at 10%, although I'm thinking perhaps I should go even more conservatively - with a 5% reduction.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dooter and Welcome!

Please find a GP to continue prescribing the lexapro. You would not have to even go into your plans to withdraw immediately with him/her - just to tell them you were currently on lexapro should be fine to have them continue prescribing.

I concur with Gia - hold at 10.2 until you no longer have any symptoms - if they resolve fairly quickly you could probably take another 10% cut. I try to make sure that i have at least 2 weeks without any symptoms before i cut again.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hi Peggy!

Thank you for the advice (and thank you GiaK, too!) - I will make it a priority to find a GP then. That is a good plan - to not go into all the detail of my taper. I didn't even consider any of this before I posted my intro here, so this is all big a relief. I thought my only options at this point were an overseas pharmacy or try yet AGAIN another psychiatrist. :blink: That was causing me a bit of anxiety, so I am relieved about that!

I am so happy I found this forum - for once I have found people that truly understand the hell of A/D's, let alone the hell of attempting to come off of them. Anyone I've ever tried to talk to about it (friends, family, doctors) all think I'm being overly-dramatic about it all.

I feel so guilty for continuing to take the Lexapro while pregnant with my daughter. She came out just fine, thank goodness, but she actually went thru - what I believe was - a sort of "baby discontinuation" about a week after she was born, up until she was a few months old. It makes me want to weep with guilt. :(

I didn't realize what it was when it was happening with her - everyone (including myself) just believed she was colicky. It wasn't until a few months after I had her, when I attempted to discontinue Lexapro myself cold-turkey and felt it for myself, when I realized that while she *might* have in fact been colicky, it was reasonable to believe that the drug was in HER system too when I was carrying her, and she pretty much cold-turkey'd it as soon as she was born. *shivers*

I'm sorry Dooter...must have been really painful to realize that about your baby...

there have been reports on withdrawal in infants, so I'm sure you're right. The tragic thing is most MDs don't understand or expect it so mothers are not given adequate information to make informed choices.

Glad your daughter is healthy now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dooter,

welcome to the forum.

Your story pretty much mirrors mine in a LOT of ways.

So I wanted to let you know that I'm doing my taper without the support of any doctor, psychiatrist or any other professional (other than to get the script for my medication). I rely solely on the wonderful people and information from this site and I'm doing pretty well with that.

In the past when I suffered the debilitating WD symptoms I felt completely alone and lost. Doctors eyes just glazed over if I tried to explain my WD symptoms and I could just see the look in their eyes. It said 'Just stay of the medication and stop being so silly'.

So personally, I don't think you need any medical professional to help you with your taper. You just need to listen to your body and go very slowly. There's no rush to get off your meds.

Oh, and how great is it to find out that you can make your own liquid? I was so happy to find this site and I couldn't believe how easy it is to do.

Anyway good luck:)

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

I'm sorry Dooter...must have been really painful to realize that about your baby...

there have been reports on withdrawal in infants, so I'm sure you're right. The tragic thing is most MDs don't understand or expect it so mothers are not given adequate information to make informed choices.

Glad your daughter is healthy now.

Thank you - yes, I feel extremely lucky that all she suffered were the discontinuation symptoms (again, I'm not even certain that the Lexapro was to blame, but I honestly feel in my heart that it really was the culprit). I have read here and there in the last few years that SSRI's are possibly being linked to birth defects in babies. It's just so scary. Its one thing for doctors to be dishonest with their patients about these drugs and the unknowns/knowns that come with them, but its a completely OTHER thing to mess with the health of their unborn child. It makes me absolutely furious.

So today the lightheaded-ness seems to be less. I call them "the whooshes", because that's what it feels like! Kind of like an out-of-body experience, kind of whooshing thru myself for a split second, if that makes sense. It isn't bad at all though, and hopefully today is the mark of them getting less and less.

yes, I know that whooshing sensation very well..it used to start for me within hours if I missed a dose...long before I ever tried to withdraw...it can get magnified really big and ugly if one tapers too quickly...that is best avoided!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Dooter.

Speaking as someone who came off of Lexapro far too fast (from 10 mg. to 0 mg. in three and a half months), please, please take it slower with your taper. I had my last crumb (2.5 mg.) of Lexapro last December 14th and I'm still having some withdrawal symptoms, mostly neuro-emotions and not experiencing pleasure very often, plus food sensitivities.

There is no point whatever in getting the drug out of your system as fast as possible. What happens is that the drug (and this applies to all SSRI antidepressants) changes the way the brain functions, killing off some neurons and growing some new ones. Withdrawing from the drug very slowly allows the brain to gradually grow back to normal. Withdrawing too fast results in lots of ups and downs, the "windows and waves pattern" that's discussed under this topic:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

There's nothing at all pleasant about going through this up-and-down pattern. It's unpredictable and the down part can be outright disabling. Without the chemical support of the drug, the brain normalizes in fits and starts, not in an even, linear way.

Some SSRIs also come back and bite one on the arse months later, although I'm not sure if this is applicable to Lexapro. There are several people on this forum who've cold-turkeyed off of Effexor, felt fine for a few months, and then had heavy-duty withdrawal set in during the fifth month.

For myself, I believe I went into withdrawal when I cut back from 5 mg. to 2.5 mg. of Lexapro, but I was hyperactive and irritable and thought that meant that I still was getting too much of the drug. About two weeks after I was completely off the Lexapro, I crashed very badly and went through about two months of hell followed by months of ups and downs.

So please take it slow and easy.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, Dooter.

I can hardly improve on anything our friendly members have told you above.

Lexapro comes in a liquid form; any MD can prescribe this for you.

Here is a topic about Lexapro tapering: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

To be on the safe side, we suggest tapering at a 10% decrease per month, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

If your withdrawal symptoms last more than a few days, it's a sign you've gone too fast, and you might want to updose to the prior stable level for a bit, then taper by a lesser decrement.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Any reputable overseas pharmacy would require a a written prescription from a dr. anyway.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

I would not do an overseas pharmacy. I got very sicck by doing that...

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Moderator Emeritus

Any reputable overseas pharmacy would require a a written prescription from a dr. anyway.

I would not do an overseas pharmacy. I got very sicck by doing that...

Canada is good. I found out how to connect from my pharmacist. I did not need to use the tip myself, but was pleasantly surprised. Also, Alto knows of reputable sites in Canada that you could use. You do need to have a script .

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks Jemima, Altostrata, areyouthere, Zepplin2011 and Schuyler!

I have decided that I'm not going to even attempt the overseas pharmacy. I'm going to try to find a GP to prescribe me the Lexapro. It'd be nice if it were truly that simple to get our medication that way without a prescription, but I just don't trust it, and after finding out that a GP will prescribe AD's, that seems like the safest route to go.

Fortunately I have about 2 months left of my current prescription left, so I'm not in panic-mode about running out or anything.

Jemima, your post really hit home - Yes, I am tapering way too fast. I am going to hold where I am at (10.2 mg/day) for awhile until I am very stable - at least for a couple months, we'll have to see, maybe longer. I feel fine aside from the whooshes, but I now realize that I shouldn't even be feeling those if I were tapering correctly. When I am finally completely stable again, then I'm going to continue the taper *extremely* slowly. Maybe even in 5% decrements. I just don't want to break my nervous system - hopefully I haven't already. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Jemima, Altostrata, areyouthere, Zepplin2011 and Schuyler! I have decided that I'm not going to even attempt the overseas pharmacy. I'm going to try to find a GP to prescribe me the Lexapro. It'd be nice if it were truly that simple to get our medication that way without a prescription, but I just don't trust it, and after finding out that a GP will prescribe AD's, that seems like the safest route to go.

You need a prescription for any decent online Canadian pharmacy. In no way were we suggesting a GP can or should be taken out of 'the loop'. We mentioned the option because Canadians charge less for the same drugs, and we thought you were paying out of pocket. Big Pharma ships the drugs to Canada, and we then pay less to re-import them. Talk about a corrupt system. (And if anything, Canada has better quality control than the US.)

Speaking of systems.. yours is not broken, and you should continue to improve. I'm on a prolonged hold now and it's helping, albeit more slowly than I'd like.

All the best!

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

To the staff folk: This time I got the option to edit out the HTML.. sorry for any inconvenience. No attention on the above needed after all.

You need a prescription for any decent online Canadian pharmacy. In no way were we suggesting a GP can or should be taken out of 'the loop'. We mentioned the option because Canadians charge less for the same drugs, and we thought you were paying out of pocket. Big Pharma ships the drugs to Canada, and we then pay less to re-import them. Talk about a corrupt system. (And if anything, Canada has better quality control than the US.)

Speaking of systems.. yours is not broken, and you should continue to improve. I'm on a prolonged hold now and it's helping, albeit more slowly than I'd like.

All the best!

Oh no, its okay - that's exactly how I was interpreting everyone's advice about the Canadian pharmacies! I didn't think anyone was suggesting I get around the loop of seeing a GP.

Yes, corrupt system indeed - on so many levels!

• Administrator

Dooter, if your withdrawal symptoms persist, you may wish to updose a bit, to 11mg for example.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Jemima, your post really hit home - Yes, I am tapering way too fast. I am going to hold where I am at (10.2 mg/day) for awhile until I am very stable - at least for a couple months, we'll have to see, maybe longer. I feel fine aside from the whooshes, but I now realize that I shouldn't even be feeling those if I were tapering correctly. When I am finally completely stable again, then I'm going to continue the taper *extremely* slowly. Maybe even in 5% decrements. I just don't want to break my nervous system - hopefully I haven't already. :(

I'm glad I was able to exert some influence. I liken my own 'taper' to something more like falling downstairs head first and getting concussed, bruised, and scraped in the process. Wish I had known then what I know now!

And please do consider Alto's advice to updose just a bit. There's no good reason at all to suffer through withdrawal symptoms, which are basically the body telling us that the nervous system is destabilized.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Okay, I will take your advice Alta and Jemima, and starting tomorrow I will updose to 11 mg/day.

I'm so glad I have you guys! It helps to have an outside perspective on all of this, better yet from people who understand it well. :D

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so glad you're paying attention! A person who's willing to learn from others' experience is a rare bird indeed. I think you'll do very well with your taper, however long it may be. :)

Just popping in to report that I updosed to 11 mg/day, and the whooshes/lightheaded-ness subsided almost immediately. YAY!

Now just to hold steady for awhile!