SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Surgery and anesthesia

alexjuice

Dani,

The antiinflammatory Toradol can be used short term. It worked like a charm when morphine failed. It should have been used FIRST!

I've been fine with short course of opiates used as needed (hydrocodone).

You'll be ok. :)

Thank you...I'm just a nervous wreck!!!!!!

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Shanti. I spoke to my doctor & she told me that propofol is always used when she performs surgery but that I can talk to the anesthesiologist just to help clear my mind. I am nervous about pain management after surgery. I will be in the hospital for 3 days afterward. I'm reading that I should stay away from fentanyl, versed, etc. So I'm not sure what I can use.

When you talk to the anesthesiologist, ask if they also give benzo. I had cataracts done recently and was told they were planning to use benzos as an adjunct. I told them not to give me any, so they stuck to propofol only. Was fine, but I'm very glad I spoke up.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Just FYI

Toradol = ketorolac

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks Shanti. I spoke to my doctor & she told me that propofol is always used when she performs surgery but that I can talk to the anesthesiologist just to help clear my mind. I am nervous about pain management after surgery. I will be in the hospital for 3 days afterward. I'm reading that I should stay away from fentanyl, versed, etc. So I'm not sure what I can use.

When you talk to the anesthesiologist, ask if they also give benzo. I had cataracts done recently and was told they were planning to use benzos as an adjunct. I told them not to give me any, so they stuck to propofol only. Was fine, but I'm very glad I spoke up.

Thank you. I'm glad you spoke up too. I am a nervous wreck. Did u need something before surgery to calm down? I'm so scared, I think I'll have a severe panic attack :( :(

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Just FYI

Toradol = ketorolac

Thanks Barbara

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you. I'm glad you spoke up too. I am a nervous wreck. Did u need something before surgery to calm down? I'm so scared, I think I'll have a severe panic attack :( :(

I was not nervous before the surgery, but it was an outpatient, they did it in the morning and I got to leave an hour later. You said you would be staying for 3 days? This sounds more involved, but not worthy of a panic attack. I'm glad you are going to speak with the anesthesiologist.

~S

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 5 months later...

I'm supposed to have minor surgery Fri. I don't know if I should go through with it. Won't the anaesthesia make my withdrawal worse? Or the surgery itself be too stressful to my body?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2895-antoinette-lexapro-withdrawal/page__p__31234__hl__antoinette__fromsearch__1#entry31234

Lexapro for 10 years

Cold turkeyed in April 2012

Reinstated and had severe adverse reaction in may of 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm supposed to have minor surgery Fri. I don't know if I should go through with it. Won't the anaesthesia make my withdrawal worse? Or the surgery itself be too stressful to my body?

Hi antonette... I need to watch carefully what I have for anesthesia as I'm at the bottom of a benzo taper and it's necessary to avoid anything that would add benzos to my system, but I the same cautions might not be for ADs... How about reposting your question in your intro thread? You might get more responses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you. I'm still deciding. I'm so nervous

Are you having local anesthesia?

If it's minor and elective to any extent, I would wait Antoinette...there is no completely safe drug used for anesthesia (unless it's local) anything that puts you under or sedates you is a risk at this time.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

I really don't know. They are putting me to sleep so is that what it is?

Listen to Gia's advice here, and Alto's advice to wait in the intro thread. Both have lots of knowledge about how surgery effects withdrawal.

Thank you I decided against it. It can wait and I know a lot of people who wake up from it in a panic. That's not what I need now!

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2895-antoinette-lexapro-withdrawal/page__p__31234__hl__antoinette__fromsearch__1#entry31234

Lexapro for 10 years

Cold turkeyed in April 2012

Reinstated and had severe adverse reaction in may of 2012

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Anybody have any other experiences with surgery and withdrawal hypersensitivity?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone

I need very urgent advise please. I have been dealing with the following symptoms for a couple of months and i am now very worried it might be something more serious like Ovarian Cancer. I have this every single day:

- Stomach bloating and lot of gas (I always look pregnant and feel very uncomfortable)

- Constipation (Got it mostly under control now)

- Stomach pains

- Nausea especially in the morning

- Pain in my upper legs (Seldom)

- My uterus feels bloated

- My ovaries are painfull

- I have a pressure feeling down there

- Intercoarse is painful and feels like pressure

- White discharge (Always comes back as Candida)

- Frequent Urination and also doesnt feel like i always fully empty my bladder

Now ive been to the doctors and Gyneacologists, they did see something on my ovary but cant tell my what it is. He thinks it might be Endometriosis but i dont have very painful periods and i dont have irregular periods either.

He wants to do an explorative Laparoscopy to see whats going on and I am very very scared.

Please if anyone can advise me, i would appreciate it very much.

I had non of these problems prior to withdrawal, it started just after my reaction in Agust last year. Please i am very very scared i might have cancer. What will happen then?

Is a laparoscopy safe and is the anaestisia safe too?

Thank you

(I am 24 years old)

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Dani how did your surgery go? I need a laparoscopy and terrified. I am in severe withdrawal and very scared

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Dani I had a hysterectomy in 1999 and because I trusted  the physician so much I would tell myself that as sort of a mantra.

"It is okay to be scared, everyone gets nervous before surgery."  "Things will work out well."  "If I am scared I will talk to someone about it and cut the fear in half."

I had minor back surgery in 2003 two weeks after I came off Paxil and onto Lexapro.  I don't have an issue with anesthesia (including propofol) other than I wake up crying in the Recovery Room (Nurses must love that!)

The propofol is a drug that you wake up quickly from.  It does cause a bit of amnesia as in you don't remember the procedure.

There can be hypersensitivity - but it may not happen for you.  It is a fear I've had, we all have.  But there is a greater chance that you won't have it.

One other thing....Propofol is used for colonoscopies.  I told the nurse before the procedure I was worried.  She told me that it will actually have a calming effect after the procedure....and it did :)  No anxiety, no side effects, not medication sensitivities.

I am not trying to minimize your concerns.  We all have them, it's just normal.  I am saying that I had them big time and was okay.

Try coaching yourself in a soothing manner and if you can't, call on one of us to help you thru it.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Medfree,

I did a little research that might enable you to be a little more informed as to your possible condition.

http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-gynecology/symptoms.php

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anesthesia/MY00100

I would not automatically jump to the conclusion that it is cancer, even if that might be a possibility. You have age on your side.

When are you planning to go through with the laparoscopy?

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

• Administrator

Please don't jump to the conclusion you have cancer. Most likely it's something relatively minor. Stay calm and work with your doctor. If there's something you don't understand, ask questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Many of your symptoms cross over to endometriosis, (I had it).  Urinary track infection, and yes candida.

The laparoscopy is valuable in that an answer will be revealed.  Endometriosis is very painful.  Lots of pressure, bloating.  There is pressure on the bladder and pressure on the cervix.

I used to walk every evening after dinner and it became more and more painful.  It was endometriosis and some fibroids.

So common.  Not to worry...

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

You might want to right down your questions on a piece of paper as you think of them & bring it with you to the next Drs. appt. That way you won't forget something important.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

I had an ovarian tumor.  Luckily, it was benign.  I had no symptoms whatsoever except that my periods included a lot of spotting.  I just had a gut feeling that something was wrong and went to get checked out.  The tumor was the size of a grapefruit when they took it out.  It was between the ovary and the uterus.  It was it pushing on the uterus that was causing the strange periods.  I had no pain with intercourse, no bloating, no pain of any kind. The only pain I had was when the doctor touched it during the examination.  I was so scared to have the surgery.  I couldn't eat the week before the surgery because my anxiety was out the roof.  I was absolutely terrified of what they would find!  I was 31 and had two little kids to raise. I ended up just losing that ovary in the surgery.  Everything else was fine.  So, I totally understand your fear.  You are going to be alright.  It sounds like the laparoscopy is the best thing to do.  I think they already have a good idea what is going on and just want to make sure.  If there is any endometriosis, they can also clean it out while they are in there.  If they thought it was more serious, they would already have you scheduled for surgery.  When the doctor found my tumor, he scheduled me for surgery before I left his office that day.

You are going to be okay.  It isn't going to be as bad as you fear. 

12-2001 -- Started Effexor XR - 150 mg dose  2005 -- Tried to cold turkey off it.  Lasted 3 days and then went back on 150 mg.  2009 -- Went on generic Effexor due to cost.  Have had a lot more side effects on it.  09-24-13 -- Started tapering by taking 2 beads out of 150 mg capsule.  10-17-13 thru 07-17-14 -- Took 2 more beads out of capsule each month.  08-2014 -- Dropped by 8 beads.  Went into a HUGE depression.  05-03-15 -- Now taking 22 beads out of capsule.  Went to micro-taper of 2 beads every other week.  11-10-15 -- Taking 96 beads (About 54 out of capsule.  Reversed the way I was taking them since the amount in the capsule varies).  Can now drop 8 beads a month, 4 every other week, with no problem.  After a while switched to dropping 2 beads every Monday as 4 at a time was starting to affect me.  Have no problem with dropping 2 beads every Monday.  07-07-16 -- Now taking 43 beads with no problems. 09-27-16 -- Now taking 2 beads out every other Monday.  Am at 33 beads now.  12-11-17 -- I AM NOW OFF EFFEXOR!!!!!  

Thank you so much for your responses. I am meeting with another specialist for a second opinion on the 15th. I am hoping it is something minor, i know i am young to have ovarian cancer and that its very rare to have.

I am just very scared of the Laparoscopy. Is it a safe procedure? I am in severe withdrawal (Massive DR/DP because of my stress over the situation)

Also, can stress set me back in withdrawal? I feel like the beginning of withdrawal all over again. Can severe stress do this???

Alto, can you please advise me about the Laparoscopy. Is it safe and what should i ask my Doctor (What anastesia is safe, what drugs to administer and not etc) I am extremely sensitive to medication. I had an antibiotic reaction a couple months ago (NOT to Cipro, but Augmentin) I would never Use Cipro i am aware of the dangers.

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Medfree, I had severe stress a few months ago and it certainly did worsen withdrawal for me.

I was so scared that I was going crazy again and almost had myself admitted to hospital. 

Once I knew it was withdrawal I went with it and once the stress subsided the withdrawal did too.

It was at the same time I took a drop too which didn't help any. 

I have 2 friends who had ovarian cysts, one was cancer, the other benign and neither had all the

symptoms you have.  They were both successfully removed and they recovered fine. 

I have some of the same symptoms and have candida albicans . It is very

uncomfortable indeed and can be excruciatingly painful. Sometimes my tummy is so bloated  I look and feel

7 months pregnant. I would  take the doctors advice and go for it, whatever it is can be treated and you will be 

free of the fear. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Please try to be calm, Medfree.

Ask the doctor if you can have the laparoscopy with only local anesthesia. I had an ovarian cyst and my gyn said the procedure, which would remove the ovary, could be done with local anesthetic.

Laparoscopy is quite safe, see http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003918.htm

Can an ultrasound examination be done first? I had one and it turned out I didn't need the laparoscopy -- the cyst was benign.

Hi Alto

My doctor said that the Laparoscopy cant be done with local anesthesia, only general.

So, what should i ask? Which Anesthesia is safest in withdrawal? Is surgery and anesthesia OK in withdrawal?

He did an ultrasound, but cant see clearly thats why he wants to open up and see what the problem could be. I am worried

Laparoscopy is not opening a person up, so don't fret that.  It is a minor incision, generally in the naval.  I have gone under general anesthesia right after getting off paxil and onto lexapro.

Tell them what you are going through.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

Tell the doctor you have autonomic instability. Anesthesiologists know what to do about this.

Good news (I think)

I went for yet another opinion and the Oby/Gyne confirmed there is absolutely nothing wrong with my ovaries. My ovaries look perfect, no cysts, no nothing. He did a vaginal ultrasound and was busy for a long time, making double sure.

So he said i shouldnt go for the laparoscopy. He scanned my kidneys and they are fine. He felt my stomach and said that my stomach is the problem. He told me i have massive IBS and spastic colon and that itis pressing against my pelvic area causing the pain and discomfort.

What do you guys think? 

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds good to me Medfree, IBS certainly does cause all those symptoms!  

I think I would deal with the IBS  through diet and think about a laparoscopy if it doesn't change.

It must be a huge relief for you. :) 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Great idea -- try to treat the IBS before going for exploratory surgery. Good thing you got a second opinion, it sounds like the second ob/gyn did a more careful study of your tests.

One treatment for IBS is probiotics.

I am happy that the new doctor didnt find anything, but i am still worried. I have pelvic pain and lower back pain that is really terrible. I hope its just IBS.

I will deal with IBS and if not better within a month or two, will go to a Gynecologist Oncologist for help.

Does this Probiotic look good enough? (Remove link if not allowed)

http://www.therealthing.co.za/the-real-thing-pro-probiotic-capsules.html

If it does, i will buy it and try it out

• Administrator

The description sounds good. It's good that they say they refrigerate it and advise you to refrigerate it. Good probiotics often need to be kept cold; the bacteria die off from heat. If you mail order, make sure they ship it quickly -- or pick it up in a store.

I'm concerned because they do not list the ingredients. Here's a list http://www.iheal.co.za/products.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=21&product_id=2164&vmcchk=1

It appears to contain a yeast, Saccharomyces boulardii (many probiotics do). Are you sensitive to yeast? If so, avoid this.

You might find additional information about South Africa probiotics here http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Vitamins-minerals-and-supplements

Purchasing a refrigerated product at a reputable natural health products store would be a good way to start with a probiotic http://www.shoporganic.co.za/our-blog/99-natural-health-stores-south-africa

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2318-irritable-bowel-syndrome-gut-bacteria-and-what-you-can-do/

and other topics discussing probiotics in our Symptoms and Self-care forum.

• 6 months later...

A surgeon once explained this to me after back surgery (minor) and losing is (depression) which started in the recovery room.

I had just finished a crossover from paxil to Lexapro and tearfully I told him how I was feeling.

He said that anesthesia is a mixture of drugs which directly affect receptors in the brain and antidepressants affect receptors in the brain so it is not surprising at all that there was a reaction.

The good news is it does pass.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

So I just found out I'm going to need a minor oral surgery to replace one of my teeth with a implant. I don't know if this is a procedure where I'm totally knocked out with general anesthesia or partially, but I'm pretty sure I will be receiving an IV fluids. I have read before about IV's possibly causing problems with someone taking psych. meds. I think one time even read the fluids accidentally washed out one mans entire blood of the Lexapro he had been taking for over 5 years and he ended up experiencing extreme issues because of it. Though he was given fluids because of severe dehydration, so I think he was given quite a lot.

Anyway, before proceeding with this at all, I wanted to know if there are any real concerns for someone with a sensitized NS and tapering like me? I really don't want to do anything that is going to complicate my condition further.

Thanks!

-Lexapro (5 or 10mg, can't remember) 2 years age 17-19 for "light social anxiety" ended late 2006. No issues coming off.

- 2008 Effexor XR 75mg after health induced Panic Attack. 21yo. Upon first dose extreme adverse reaction (sadness, crying spells, extreme physical agitation/anxiety) did eventually stabilize. Stayed on 3 months then tapered off very fast but no issue WDing.

Lexapro 20mg 6/2009 - 2/2014 due to PPD and unsuccessful WD attempts.

-Sep. 2013 stable and still doing fine on Lexapro but lost insurance so Dr CT switch from Lex 20mg to Celexa 40mg (supposed equivalent) claiming it's the "same drug just cheaper". My body didn't like the switch almost instantly, and I felt acute WD from Lex within days of the switch. Was unaware it was WD and adverse affect from the switch. Gave it 2 weeks to settle and stabilize. By end of 2 weeks I was falling completely apart mentally and emotionally. Pharmacist said I could switch back to Lexapro 20mg safely. Again, "it's the same drug"

-Oct. 2.5 weeks after med switch, switched back to Lexapro 20mg thinking everything would go back to normal. Woke up next morning to instant cortisol overload anxiety, physical and mental agitation to extreme levels, could not think, feel, do anything normally. Akathisia. Knew it had to be some kind of adverse reaction to the switch, but had no idea what to do other than continue taking it and hoping to stabilize. Proceeded to experience the worst 3-4 weeks of my life before finally stabilizing slowly.

-Nov. despite stabilizing for the most part, could feel something wasn't right, was not returning to old self, had moments of emotional amnesia with things I love most. Life stressor occurred and I crashed. Total poop-out in a moment and instant panic and adverse effects, depression, anxiety, mental exhaustion, physical fatigue.

Saw a GP who told me Lex was struggling to handle stress in life, needed to augment with Seroquel 25mg. Energy began to return, but depression worsened, began having suicidal mood swings, feelings like life was unbearable.

-December found SA and began Seroquel taper after taking it for a month. Felt signs of relief after just few days.

-Jan. 15th 2014 took last seroquel and began Prozac bridge. Complete Feb. 25th. Felt a couple weeks of WD from Lex, but otherwise stabilized.

-April 9th began 10% Homemade liquid Prozac taper. 40mg down to 36mg.

-Aug. 5th now down to 27.5mg. Feeling better than I did at 40mg.

Thanks Nikki! Yes, I think it passed..i'm glad your dr told you that. I'm not currently on and AD's so it made me extra nervous that was feeling bad again..

I also had a bad reaction to AD's so I guess my brain is super sensitive to anything effecting receptors!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy