brassmonkey

☼ Brassmonkey: Talking about myself

Songbird

Congratulations!!!!  So exciting!  (I have to say I'm a bit jealous!)  :)

nz11

Wow life is just getting better and better for you.

What an awesome year is in store....you'll soon wonder how on earth you managed to fit work in!

Hey this means you can soon do a big updose ....on the sa hours!!

Don't forget to use up those accumulated sick days....

Hold on ...i thought you were already full time sa you mean you had a day job as well!

Enjoy your retirement.

nz11

Shep

Congratulations, Brassmonkey! Sounds like a well deserved retirement. Wishing you all the best.  :)

apace41

Tom,

That is absolutely awesome!  May all your and Monica's wishes come true as you embark on your new (healed) life.

Best,

Andy

SkyBlue

Congrats, Brass!!!!! I wish you the best! :) 

katieb

Excellent news Tom for you and Monica wishing you all the best from the uk.Im following your posts but not actually always commenting.Im down to 2 mg next drop getting there slowly.

Hope that you will stick around when you finish the med and let us know how it's going ☺

brassmonkey

Thank you all for your congratulations.  I am totally excited about the way things are going.

I thing it's probably the reduction in stress from quitting but I have had the best several nights sleep I've had in a long time.  We just finished up getting my health insurance transferred to a private policy, and that's the last big step.  We have confirmations for all the travel plans so that is a go.  Now we just have to pack.

aberdeen

congrats Brass!! This is going to be a great year!

brassmonkey

Last day of work ever!!!!  I have to say that things are really awkward feeling around the office.  Almost like I don't exist.  One or two of the shop workers have  expressed that they are sorry to see me go, but for the engineering staff and such it's like I'm gone already.  Waiting for the page summoning me to see the owner of the company for an exit interview.  I will take bets that they won't have my final checks ready until 4:45 this afternoon.  I've been fighting getting over emotional for a couple of days now, the WDs have decided that this would be a good time to be "sensitive" to just about everything.  Not a good condition to have around a load of male professionals. 

I might not get a chance to get on line later today.  I get out of here, have a quick nap, an hours drive to the airport (if it doesn't decide to rain) then catch a plane to Savannah Georgia a little after midnight.  I'll be gone for just over a week and don't know how much I'll be able to monitor here, so I hope y'all stay well.  I'll be out looking for alligators.

apace41

Congrats, Tom.  Enjoy!

AmyK

Oh wow, freedom! Have a great trip and watch out for the alligators. :)

Hugs!

grandmaD

Hi Tom, I think I missed something - have you retired?  Where are you off to and for how long?  A holiday is a nice reward after what you have been through and for working for so long.  Keep safe, hugs from this end of the world

mustangwoman

Hello friend!  Glad to see that you have been doing so well!  :)   Have been very busy lately, and still having us and down with withdrawals.  Glad you are taking a vacation.  You deserve it!

btdt

ok you have had a couple wks of retirement it is time to report :) 

hope your having a blast still

peace

geminigirl

Hi Brass,

Would you say you are recovered?

brassmonkey

I'm baaccckkk....  Pulled in the drive this morning at 1am.  It was a wonderful way to kick off my retirement.  I will have to say that Savannah is a beautiful town and this time of year the weather was lovely. A little hot and sticky on a couple of days but quite comfortable the rest of the time.  We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast that was a restored mansion built in 1876 with large rooms and antique furniture. Truly the Old South captured in the present.  The town was designed for walking with small parks every few blocks and shaded tree lined lanes covered with long tendrils of spanish moss.  Savannah was the 13th of the original colonies so it is steeped in history, with the homes of famous/important people back to back to back. I think we visited every one of them.

There is also an abundance of wildlife in the area too.  We made day trips to several of the local game preserves were I was able to add to my life list of creatures by seeing and photographing some good sized alligators.  I was very excited to do that.  We also got to tour the local cemeteries, which had stones going back to the early 1700s and some truly amazing statues.  Once I get the pictures organized, I took well over 2000, I'll share some here.

Of course we had to eat out almost every meal.  This ranged from premade sandwiches from the corner store to some of the best specialty cooking I have ever had. Needless to say I have to watch what I eat for a while to loose the extra I gained.

There were no problems with the WDs the entire time.  I did have to control my anxiety while trying to get to the airport and make connections as I frequently have  to when traveling, but that is not related to coming off of the paxil.  Now that the whirlwind has calmed it's time to start settling into retirement and establish some new routines.

nz11

Welcome back BM we have all been missing you.

You did very well not checking into sa while on holiday...i noticed your absence at 5 am.

Looked at some pictures online of savannah looks very beautiful place.

btdt

It sound wonderful I am glad you had a wonderful time 

peace to you and Monica 

geminigirl

Awesome update.

LexAnger

Wonderful!

grandmaD

Welcome back.  Enjoy retirement - my husband has not worked to hard since he retired!  Be built a new house and he has not stopped!  He built 2 sheds himself, lots of retaining walls, holes to dig for plants and trees,, always spraying for weeds, mowing, patios to build, paths and road to make, water tanks to tend to, gutters to clean (gum trees lose leaves all year round) and on and on it goes!  What are your plans?

brassmonkey

There is no end of things to keep me busy GrandmaD.  We've been working on a kitchen remodel for a couple of years and that's the big project right now. I'm not doing the actual work, but making the decisions and arrangements is a lot of work. Then there is a lot of other things that need done to the house, floors, ceilings, HVAC, bathrooms.  That will keep me busy for a while.  I can't see it all being done before we start on the Halloween stuff in August.  Which will take us up to a big trip to London for the holidays.  So all in all this year is shot already. LOL

AliG

That sounds awesome , B.  My daughter is living in London , and I'm hoping that we can get over there sometime soon. Welcome back . It sounds like you had fun .

grandmaD

It is amazing how busy things can keep you - it took us 5 years to get around to getting a heater and then another 3 years after that we have started putting awnings up.  Just checking around, pricing, quotes, etc all takes time.

How fantastic to hear you are travelling and planning to go to London, what a wonderful reward!  I trust all the rest of us here can follow in your steps!  Enjoy!

brassmonkey

" I trust all the rest of us here can follow in your steps!  "

That's my greatest hope.  I am wanting people to realize that the drug phase that they're going through is just a bump in the road and to not let it rule their lives. It may place limits while going through it, but they can be worked around. Once it's over, it's in the past and it's time to move on and make up for lost time.  The time during WD should not be wasted in self pity, it should be used to lay the groundwork for the good times to come.  Wd will last a finite amount of time, we don't know how long, but it does end, and when it does it's our time to shine.  I don't want people to think I'm bragging or showing off, I want to lead by example and have people see how much is possible if they take the initiative.  Monica and I have been planning for retirement ever since we got together. The past twelve years have been rough but they have not spoiled those plans.

LexAnger

We need the faith by hearing the wisdom in what you say, Tom!

Thanks for giving all of us hope, assurance, and encouragement!

grandmaD

Yes, thanks Tom for your encouraging words.

btdt

I hope your right Tom I really do but I have some doubts I can feel how happy you are from your posts good for you I am happy for you

peace

brassmonkey

It's been a very busy week since I last posted.  Getting a lot of things started, but not a lot done.  Well, it all takes time.  Had some blood work done, everything is fine for the most part. Bad cholesterol has taken a spike so I have to watch that for a while. My kidney function has been sliding slowly down hill, nothing bad just enough for the doctor to be concerned, so I started on a med for that.  It lowers BP also, so I stopped my BP med at the same time. BP dropped to 92/64 with the first tablet. Caused a lot of dizziness all day, so I didn't take it again.  I'll be talking to the Doc on Monday about it. Lead for a rough  night too.  Oh well.

Making plans for another trip. Week and a half in Portland, the middle of next month.  Have a lot of friends there and some beautiful country to look at. 

Unofficially dropped to 8mgpw during the week.  It was easier than weighing out 9mg for some reason so just stuck with it. It's a couple of days early but shouldn't hurt anything.  I'll hold until after the trip to make up for it.

nz11

Wow great going BM 0.64 mg.

Not long to go now.

chia1214

Hi brass - thanks for commenting on my intro thread update! I read the last couple pages of your thread here to see what you have been up to. Oh my! Quite a bit! Congratulations on your retirement! And so good to see how your taper is going. Sliding right down there, slow and easy.  -- Chia

geminigirl

Good Job BrassMonkey!

I am cheering for you.

Yana

kitschywoman

That is AWESOME!  :D  I can't wait to be in your shoes some day (both on the reduction and retired)!

brassmonkey

Hi everyone-- thanks for dropping in with the cheering comments.  It's getting so close I have to restrain myself and not rush.  We have another trip coming up in a couple of weeks and I should make a drop right in the middle of it, but will wait until we're home to do it.  I finally ran out of gel caps,which I was thinking would be my jump off point.  But that was still at .52mg.  I've just been sprinkling the little bit of powder on my breakfast bagel and it seems to be working well.  I'll have to get some gel caps for the trip as dealing with just the powder and scales while traveling would be a total pain.

As expected the elbow is being slow to recover.  I'm going out of my way to take it easy on it.  Right now I'm doing a lot of forearm massage to keep the muscles loose, and will probably start some light exercise pretty soon.  It still gets a lot of work as it's a right handed world out there.

The transition into retirement is going well.  I do get the occasional thought of "when will this vacation be over" but it's usually just in passing.  Trying to get a flow going on the remodel is a bit of a challenge.  Things are slowly starting to fall into place and we've accepted that it's going to take a lot longer that planned. (Where have I heard that before?)

It's a beautiful, cool overcast day, so I'm going to go play in the yard in a little while.

Africa

Congratulations on your retirement Brassmonkey!

Thank you for all your encouragement and support. You are a true inspiration!

Africa

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

I saw you talking somewhere about "Anger Spiral", I think that was your term for it. Do you have a link and what exactly do you do to short circuit it?