brassmonkey

☼ Brassmonkey: Talking about myself

brassmonkey

And I thought the week before the Haunt was busy!!! Because of all the upcoming travel all the props and scenery in the front yard have to be taken down and secured in a safe place. A job that usually takes three weeks.  We did it in three days.  We'll face actually putting it away in a couple of months.  The remodel is getting "interesting".  Several large items were not delivered on time, changing the schedule. We discovered that several of the cabinets were shipped wrong, changing the schedule. We found the absolutely perfect ovens so had to cancel one order and reorder them, changing the schedule. After lots of discussion it was decided that they wouldn't fit in the new oven cabinet, so that needed exchanged along with the one next to it so things would still fit. Changing the schedule.  The installers arrived and started on the one section that could be done.  Only to find that there were plumbing problems. Called the plumbers who arrived within the hour, but refused to work on the house without an asbestos test.  Which takes weeks,and there had already been work done in that area any way. So I was up till 2am doing plumbing ad drywall repair so the installers could continue at 7am the next morning.

As far as we have gotten looks wonderful.  But with all the reorders and traveling the timing makes it so that we won't be finished until the end of February. Maybe then I'll get to post a picture. 

On the WD front, if there have been symptoms they couldn't possibly have shown up through the distraction, and the life stress hasn't set off anything.  So I think I'm doing great in that department.

LexAnger

You wrote in such a fun way even for the many hassles like that!

The best part still, is the fabulous update on the WD department!

Thank you so much for staying around giving hope! It keeps me from giving up in a very difficult time now.

aberdeen

Glad to hear it Brass!

The halloween haunt sounds fun. As for the remodel, not so much. Your story sounds familiar being married to a cabinet maker,lol.  Can be stressful, financially for tradespeople too bc seems every project gets extended due to something like what you mentioned....or a client who at the very end decides on a whole new colour scheme! Its like an art trying to coordinate a bunch of different trades in some sort of synchronized way also, as we're now discovering as he gets more into the contracting side of things. All the best! I keep putting off our kitchen remodel, bc it will be torture for me, but apparently it's coming soon like it or not. We had  limited use of our second floor for many months due to bdrm renos so one thing at a time.Thankfully i wont be in the throes of wd for it. So glad this hasnt triggered wd stress for you!

mustangwoman

Glad to hear the withdrawal is going well Tom, in the midst of everything else.

brassmonkey

I hope all of our New Zealand friends came through the weekend safely.  Please let us know as you get a chance.

apace41

On the WD front, if there have been symptoms they couldn't possibly have shown up through the distraction, and the life stress hasn't set off anything.  So I think I'm doing great in that department.

Tom,

The fact that this is not front and center in your post is all I need to see to know you are doing fantastic.

Great news -- the rest will sort itself out.

Best,

andy

nick1990

I think most of us nz crew are in the north island. Only one area was BADLY effected . We really do live in a pretty active part of the world down here.

Was meaning to ask you brass, with your 2.5% cuts would you often see symptoms appear after each cut? And to what severity? Your such an inspiration to see where you are now .

Nick

brassmonkey

That's a sure sign Andy.  I'm finding more and more that WD is taking a back seat to almost everything.

Good to hear that you're mostly Northerners Nick.  I guess it was back at Prior Place we had some members from the Christ Church area.  CC was a beautiful area when I was there so many years ago.  The whole country actually, I'd really like to go back and see it all again.

For me, I found that things eventually settled into a pattern of symptoms showing up on day 2 or 3 and had generally stabilized by day 6 or 7.  The further into each slide the longer it took for them to subside.  Almost always I would return to WDnormal by the middle of the 6th week, frequently during the 5th week.  The first part of my taper was so symptomatic it's hard to recall any pattern.  I do remember feeling slightly better at the end of the 6 weeks then at the beginning. It was more of a "push through until I find stability" sort of time.  Tapering down from 40mg and a ton of alcohol took some time for my brain to realize that there were improvements happening and make the needed adjustments. I have a long post somewhere around page 22 talking about WWDnormal that I give a more detailed timeline of my improvements.

doggiemama

Nice to read all the good things happening in your life even the not so nice is great when you not suffing bad WD. I read that you going to Kenya, maybe on your next trip South Africa!!! we also have a very beautiful country besides all the other nonsence going on polically.

brassmonkey

We're playing with the idea of a cruse from Lisbon to Cape Town in the next couple of years.  Maybe a stop in a Kruger NP when we get down that way.  We're heading to Kenya  for 10 days in January.

brassmonkey

Well I got some related news today. Something kicked in a couple of months ago and I've been able to break below the weight plateau I've been stuck on for years.  So far I've managed to drop 10 pounds since the beginning of September. I haven't been down to this weight in decades.  Another 18 to hit my target, just have to make it through the Holidays.

Had my annual physical this afternoon and all is fine except two little glitches. Minor kidney disease, the numbers were just enough off to warrant some light medication.  I'm looking into some alternatives for that. The other is I have a hypothyroid.  Which I've been suspecting for a while now.  So I get to swallow some more of our beloved pharmaceuticals to control that.  Also looking into alternatives on that one. Other than that I'm in fine fettle.

AmyK

Sorry to hear that, Tom. I hope you will find out what to do, and, if possible, can can find alternatives to meds. I dont know much about hypotyreos, but I know I read that ssri can be a culprit? Maybe it will get better after zero paxil?

Hugs!

AliG

Tom. Many of us struggle with hypothyroid : apres drugs. My advice would be to take your time and look into non- drug alternatives. They are around including the Armour thyroid extract.

I don't have personal experience with it but having said that my thyroid levels are low too. I'm trying diet and lifestyle measures first. I'll be damned if I'm swallowing another drug/ pill.

Low thyroid seems to be of epidemic proportions right now. The question is why ? One reason is the drugs but there seems to be more at play. I think it's also to do with food ( GMO, processing etc) and general poisoning of the air and water as well.

It's a wonder we're all still vertical !  :unsure:

Hugs,

Ali

brassmonkey

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends. And I will tell everyone here how thankful I am to have you all as friends.

AliG

Tom.  Happy Thanksgiving from an Australian friend.   :) 

mustangwoman

Happy Thanksgiving!

Santino

Happy Thanksgiving Friend...

Even though i do not celebrate it... i join with you into the joy. It is all we need in this life.

Santino

brassmonkey

Thank you for all the Thanksgiving wishes everyone.  I hope everyone had a great holiday.  We got back into town late last night only to find Southern California to be colder than it was when we left Ohio.  Had a great time visiting the in-laws and extended family and touring the countryside. Now we get to do all the unpacking, sorting, getting things brought up to date and then start repacking for the next trip in about ten days.  Should be fun.

Athena

A quick thank you Brass for your wonderful work on this site. A little late for american Thanksgiving... but thanks anyway! ;):)

Athena

brassmonkey

Your welcome Ahtena.  We don't need a special day to be thankful, and this brightens a stereotypical monday.

If this past week didn't trigger a bad response then I don't think anything will.  We've spent the last three days (all day) on the computer and telephone trying to straighten out the trip we're leaving on this Saturday.  The airlines are driving us nuts, shuttle reservations are just as bad, our cellphone connections have been beyond bad and Monica's computer, with all our records, took a d***.  We've managed to fight through most of it and get things finalized but we both really need a vacation now.

To add to it we've had to reschedule a bunch of the remodel stuff to fit between trips when we get back, and have a very tight turnaround on some required medical stuff for the next trip in January.  We have to get a bunch of shots that everyone has told us were not necessary but actually are required and we can just squeak in with the required lead time. (If everything goes right.)

It looks like things are finally coming udercontrol, so the next few days should be easier. This being retired is turning out to be a lot of work. LOL :o

Shep

Great update, Brassmonkey. Sounds like you're handling everything in stride. 

I hope you get some downtime, though. Yes, it does sound like retirement and vacations are an awful lot of work! 

Sending healing vibes your way. I hope you can rest before your next trip. 

bromor

On the hypothyroid...definitely recommend Armour or Naturethroid.  Also try using some iodine.  I do everything natural if possible because I feel like my poor liver is still trying to recuperate from years of Zoloft...  You can do so much with diet as well!

Sounds like everything is going great for you ~ Saw where you visited Ohio.  I'm from there originally... and never want to move back to the cold and dreary gray winters!

Hope your holiday season is wonderful.

AmyK

You are doing so well, Tom. Are you heading for Africa now? Or was it London?

All the best!

brassmonkey

Hi Amy-- thanks for dropping in.  We leave for London on Saturday morning.  Just finished all the prepacking, just a couple of things to pick up and we're all set to go.  We're back just before New Years for two weeks and then head off to Africa.  There's a minor snag with the airline flights, but the tour company is taking care of that.  We got our eVisas and are scheduled for shots (oh joy) when we get back from London.  I'm taking my new camera to London to get used to it so I'll be ready for the big 5 when we spot them.  Needless to say we're both pretty excited about the two trips.

I'll be holding with the 0.24mg until we're back at the end of the month and then probably drop to 0.16mg for a couple of months.  As far as I can tell I'm not having many symptoms right now.  There seems to be a slight "under current" in the background and an "off" day once in a while, but given everything that has been happening lately that could be pretty normal.

brassmonkey

Hi Bromor-- Thanks for the information on the natural methods.  Once things settle down here I'm going to look into that further. I much prefer the natural approach to the meds.

Two weeks in Cleveland. Quite a shock from SoCal.  I got my fill of living in the cold and snow in Montana, but it was nice to get a change from the incessant sunlight, I miss a good storm.  We had a good cross section of weather 70F one day and snow the next then back to warm.

I wish you the best of Holidays too.

AmyK

How exciting, Tom. I wish you a great trip!

I am happy to hear that the drug doesnt bother you that much now. I think it's good if you to hold over the holidays.

Hugs!!

scallywag

In an earlier post in this topic, brassmonkey details how he calculates dosage from pill weight: Link to post.

In that post, he also describes his novel approach to tapering: The Brassmonkey Slide comprising 4 weekly dose reductions and a 3 week hold.

#thebrassmonkeyslide for fast search

The purpose of this post is to provide a detailed example.

Example:

You are currently taking 20 mg of your medication and want to reduce 10% using the slide.

Calculations

starting dose = 20 mg

10% reduction = 2 mg

ending dose = 18 mg

4 weekly dose reductions = 2 mg / 4 = 0.5 mg

In the six week cycle each week's dose is:

1. 19.5 mg (20 - 0.5)
  2. 19.0 mg
  3. 18.5 mg
  4. 18.0 mg
  5. 18.0 mg
  6. 18.0 mg
  7. If symptoms are tolerable or non-existent, do another slide from 18 mg to 16.2 mg (10% decrease).
    If symptoms persist and are challenging, hold until they settle.

The Google docs online dose calculator spreadsheet (linked in my signature) has a tab, "brassmonkey slide" set up to calculate the slide doses for you.

• The tabs are along the bottom of the screen.
  • You need to enter your starting dose and the total % reduction, e.g. 10.
  • If you can't see my signature, here's a link to my online dose calculator.

brassmonkey

Taking a sick day. Got a good case of the lurgy. Just hope it doesn't get down into my lungs and cause bronchitis. Laying in bed with a fantastic view of London in the fog.

Shep

Sending you one of those famous {{{{{HUGS!}}}}}

I hope you're feeling better soon and can get out there in the London fog and enjoy your trip. 

aberdeen

Stay well Brass and enjoy your trip!

LexAnger

You are in my prayer for this little glitch to go away quickly.

Flowers

Get well soon!

brassmonkey

Amazing what 36 hours of sleep can do. Not a new man, but I feel a lot better. Went out and did some shopping at Harrods. Things are way too crowded for me, but I have to remember that it's just a few days until Christmas so it's somewhat to be expected. Didn't push too hard so we're back at the hotel for a few hours before dinner reservations.

Flowers

So glad you are feeling better. Am so envious of your trip to Harrods. Hope you get to see the  Christmas  lights in Regent St! I am British and have many happy memories of shopping trips up to London especially at Christmas. 

Things are very low key here in the small town where we live.

Take it easy and keep warm!

manymoretodays

Oh wow brassmonkey...........you are off and traveling!!  I am very excited for you and wife. 

London, Africa, and on a lesser note Cleveland???  LOL.  And all good.........great!

So I think I must be doing good right now because I get happy about others positive adventures..........and I do still dream about my own.........adventures to come and all.......not sure what they will be yet but they will be!

Best of the season good thoughts and intentions being sent on out and safe and fun travels!

Love,

mmt

ladybug

Just dropping in to say hi and glad to hear you are enjoying your holiday! ((HUGS))