☼ Brassmonkey: Talking about myself

brassmonkey

No worries Nick, it's just a few very interesting posts, not a hijack.  I'm in the process of establishing a dedicated thread for the subject to discuss the "post "0"" experience so we can learn more about it and work out some strategies for coping with it.  Also it will be a place for mutual support of those going through the experience.  As Nick pointed out so well there are two divergent paths that need to be addressed as the experiences of the people who have slow tapered and those who have CTed/fast tapered are proving to be quite different.

Andy and Jackie, that's a lot of good information, thinking and discussion.  It's going to take me a while to plow through it all.  It shows that this is a subject that really needed to be broached. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I'm delighted to hear from you caperjackie. I would love it if even more people could come back and post when they are years out. People like you can offer a wide perspective, I really appreciate that. I like the idea of a Post Zero thread brass.

My thoughts humbly submitted :)

I'm not especially comfortable with this talk of the 'right' way and 'wrong way'. Adding judgement onto situations and choices doesn't seem to add much. 

For me at least this site doesn't seem to make any promises that if we do things the  'right' way, we'll be ok for the rest of our days.  It seems to me, primarily about harm minimisation during withdrawal, but also importantly, learning an attitude of self-reliance and self-care. That as individuals, we are personally empowered to deal with life's inevitable struggles, both internal and external. But the struggle is still real. From our drug use we learnt that there was no such thing as a 'free lunch'. We have to be the ones that bring ourselves back to health, but that's not easy and I'd imagine it will be lifelong.

I'm concerned that someone who we considered did things the 'right' way may find it very difficult to come back and re-engage, if,  in future, they were struggling since they might mistakenly feel like they were endangering the ethos of the site. Then they would be struggling alone, and I for one would hate that to be the case. 

xxxmollyn

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Sorry Molly, i didn't meen to bring about uncomfortable feelings, i was more just trying to point out that on this forum, maybe we should have a couple of different threads on "Post 0" experiences. One for CT/Fast Tapers, and one for gradual tapers. And only for the purpose of not mixing the two together and having a whole bunch of confusion. As i think for the most part there will be two very different categories of symptoms and healing processes.  HOWEVER, i think for the most part, the long term result of full healing exists for both parties.

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

I'd like to express my interest in such a thread, too, the one Brass mentioned for the "Post 0" experiences of long-time/term taperers, and the one Nick says is needed for the "Post 0" experiences of shorter term/CT withdrawers.

I'm getting ready to jump to zero next year myself and lately I've used the site almost exclusively to find as much information as I can on what that end-term experience has been for others.  

Myndfull

I had tried and failed to stop Paxil several times (though never using a long, slow taper) and thought Celexa might be easier, so I shifted to Celexa in 2012. In August of 2014 I began a serious tapered withdrawal from Celexa (20 mg.), making monthly drops, mostly 10% of the last dose, sometimes more, sometimes less.  In July of 2016 I took an early retirement at 59 in large part because of my intense withdrawal  symptoms.

Three years and eight months after beginning my taper, I stopped taking Celexa on 5/12/18.

I am currently in recovery and I am very slowly getting better. I still have waves and some are quite bad. But overall the trend is toward healing.

• Mentor

Brassmonkey,

If you are able to establish that thread for the post zero people it would be marvelous. Thank you in advance for anything you are able to do in that direction.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Moderator Emeritus

7 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

No worries Nick, it's just a few very interesting posts, not a hijack.  I'm in the process of establishing a dedicated thread for the subject to discuss the "post "0"" experience so we can learn more about it and work out some strategies for coping with it.  Also it will be a place for mutual support of those going through the experience. 

Andy and Jackie, that's a lot of good information, thinking and discussion.  It's going to take me a while to plow through it all.  It shows that this is a subject that really needed to be broached. 

3 hours ago, myndfull said:

I'd like to express my interest in such a thread, too, the one Brass mentioned for the "Post 0" experiences of long-time/term taperers, and the one Nick says is needed for the "Post 0" experiences of shorter term/CT withdrawers.

I'm getting ready to jump to zero next year myself and lately I've used the site almost exclusively to find as much information as I can on what that end-term experience has been for others.  

Myndfull

Hi brass!  Yes, very interesting posts....... 

As for the post "0" experience...........yes, let's work out some more strategies for coping with it.  You are a good organizer of thoughts!  "As Nick pointed out so well there are two divergent paths that need to be addressed as the experiences of the people who have slow tapered and those who have CTed/fast tapered are proving to be quite different."  I agree with this statement........yes sometimes, but not always.  Many tapering now have indeed CTed another medication/drug sometime earlier, like me, or same thing .........followed a Dr.'s  instructions.  So then........we have the 3rd or 4th group still recovering/healing from a CT(in some respects) while tapering???  Does that make sense? :)  Maybe just a 3rd group.  Or one group encompassing us all who are post "0". 

Oh and keep it all as positive and upbeat as possible.  Yet realistic?

It'll be interesting and useful for a lot of us any way you choose to do it.  I do need support now and comradeship yet feel that because I am off all drugs now that it's not the same as for those still tapering.......maybe that's just me.  And still not quite ready or should I say I don't yet feel like the success off of drugs/meds. ...........yet.........so not ready to go into "success story" mode.  Done with psychiatrists though!!

Myndfull,  I like your comment too.  I do, however, think that it's not so cut and dried as to what to expect for any of us.  Yet, a positive attitude and fearlessness is necessary.   I mean expect the best or at least get a firm belief going that you can deal with whatever comes down the pipeline..........with a little help from your friends here and maybe a few locally.

Idk.......will follow........velly interesting.........Love you all,

Peace, recovery/healing, growth and neuroplasticity at any age.......darnit!!!!!!!!!(I'll update soon on my own thread as it's been a tougher couple of months here)

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 10/2/2017 at 2:46 PM, brassmonkey said:

I started my taper six years ago last week, enough all ready.  I've put in the time and just want it over with. (vent, rant, rave)  Now that my head is clearing for extended periods of time I can look back and realize the enormity of what has happened over the past years and the years leading up to the taper.  It's totally boggling.  Finally I can start to let down and let it all seep in and work through it a little bit at a time.  I can realize what I've accomplished, not just the WD but in life while the WD was happening.  I'm very upset that I went through it, but at the same time very pleased that I have prevailed, or rather that I am prevailing and will recover in the end.

THIS

I am experiencing very similar things. It has been 16 months since I finished a slow taper that began in October 2011 (after a year of CT wd and various med switches) I am healing very well, with the odd wave of depression and anxiety, very mild compared to before though (and possibly hormonal at 45 years old and being female).

But underneath is a psychological healing as well. Emotionally coming to terms with the years I lost while raising my children, the opportunities I couldnt take part in, the loss in confidence and sense of self. I dont think we realize, the damage it does emotionally to us at the time because we're trying to keep our nose above the waves of symptoms....but then once we get some distance and look at it from far away we see the magnitude of the entire experience. I think there will be a period of repair where we have to learn again to get out in the world, be a friend again, be social, take risks, plan for the future, enjoy and love people and places and sensations, and just "be" again, its been so long. The storm is over and now we need to assess the damage and rebuild on many levels. I'm grateful to even be at this point honestly. Its harder than i thought, in part because life itself changes in that many years so we can't just "go back" like I planned on  doing for the first 2 or 3 years. Its about starting new and going from the bottom up, Which as it turns out is an opportunity to get rid of a lot of things we don't need anymore. It's a good place to be!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

It's really nice to hear from some of the post zero folks. I am one myself now, but only six months out and still struggling but in different ways then before. Like Aberdeen, I am female and 49 and most definitely in the menopausal transition with hot flashes and poor sleep and mood swings. So it's really hard to tease out which symptoms are from THAT and which are from withdrawal at this point. I am certain that withdrawal is making the menopausal transition a lot more difficult than it would be otherwise. But I keep trying to put one foot in front on the other, take one day at a time, eat healthy (no caffeine or alcohol), exercise moderately, take my supplements, socialize more than I "feel" like, and just try to stay positive. The last one is the hardest, I get down on myself and beat myself up, etc... and frankly, I just don't like myself much right now. But I think that is all part of the process, part of why I took the stupid meds in the first place! And maybe also part of the mid-life transition. I totally agree with what Aberdeen said about the time and opportunities missed and how we kind of have to grieve that before we can really move on, and it's not a quick process. I took ADs for just over 12 years and my son wasn't even 2 years old when I started and now he's a teenager. I haven't been and am not the mom that I would like to be. It is what it is, I have to try to make the best of it and learn from the process. I am very fortunate to have a supportive and understanding husband, I wouldn't have made it this far without him.

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

It's been a while since my last update.  Things have been quite busy around here getting ready for the Haunt.  We open this Saturday and are looking pretty good, only a few little details to take care of.  The heat and physical work has left me really wiped out, very tired and sore.  A little rest will fix that up, but my reserves are quite low ATM so I have to be careful about pushing too hard (yea, right).  The biggest problem has been the inner anxiety for the past several weeks.  The WDs have  my "fight or flight" revved into high gear for most of the day, and ther are a lot of things that try to compound the feelings.  There's nothing that can be done except accept the feelings and go on in spite of them.  Some relaxation exercises do help, but they only take the edge off. Also it seems to be coming in waves so it's very unpredictable from hour to hour how I'll feel.  It takes a lot of energy that I'd rather be putting else where.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Sorry to hear about the anxiety Brass. You know, as well as anyone else here, its just a wave and you'll be stronger and feeling better once this wave has cleared. 

Other than the anxiety and fatigue, how have you felt since taking NO paxil? Do you have a clearness of mind or a lift in brain fog , dp/dr? 

Just really interested to know. 

All the best bro!

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

Hey Nick-- After a while your practiced responses kick in and it actually takes several days to figure out that you're having trouble again. Bad that you've had that much practice, good in that it works.  The fatigue has been on going since I stopped the drugs.  It has been improving, but I've been way over doing things the past few weeks so it's catching up with me. You wouldn't know anything about that sort of thing.  B)  The clarity of thinking and brain fog come and go with the waves but are on a clearing path.  This wave started up about a month ago and feels like it's starting to wind down.

More in a bit, gots to run.

Hi Tom, I have followed your withdrawal story for a long time and we chatted a couple of times on PP. I am so glad that you have gotten off Paxil successfully even though you are still struggling with some anxiety and fatigue. You really have inspired me along my own journey. I wanted to ask you a quick question about your final cuts. I, myself, have got down to 0.4 mg Paxil after a 5 year wean. I am struggling with these minute cuts and was considering changing to dissolving tablets to make a liquid.  You said in one of your posts that changing to liquid at .32 was not an option for you. Were you worried it would have a negative effect? I just don't want to make any mistakes when I'm so close. Like you my aim was to jump off at 1mg but thought I should try to go as low as possible. Thanks for any advise you can give😊

Began Paxil in 2004 at 20 mg

Attempted to stop Paxil in 2012 but had to reinstate within 2 months

Began correct reductions of 10% in 2012 and have been reducing since then

March 2017 0.8 mg

October 2017 0.4mg 

March 2018 0.5 mg

Worked slowly up to 3.2 mg by May 2019 

January 2021 still at 3.2 mg 

Hi Brassmonkey,

I have read you here since I joined and known you as a success story which every one look upto.

Your methods help people and I am hoping to get some advice from you.

I have a polydrug history of 2.5 yrs from which paxil  and trileptal (generic) played the longest part.

Also I am CT almost 20 months off them.. But cannot laugh, smile , sudden outbursts, memory, disconnected from.old slelf.

Will I get my emotion and memory back ? 

I have lost 2 yrs off them and 2.5 yrs of drugged career 

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

Hi bhasski--  I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with the WD symptoms.  Doing a CT is a rough way to go, especially if there are several drugs involved.  Things eventually do normalize though.  The first couple of years tend to be the roughest, then the improvements are more readily seen.  Many people who have CTed see great improvements in the third year. It's best to pay attention to your WDnormal baseline to chart your progress and not obsess over day to day fluctuations.  Try not to worry, you'll get there.

Hi Dee-- I remember seeing you back at Prior Place.  Congratulations on making it down to 0.4mg.  You're so close to the end it's wonderful.  Taking five years to get there seems like a long time, but it will really pay off in the end.  There were a couple of reasons I didn't want to switch to the liquid. First I'm a stubborn old goat who's set in his ways (I really didn't want to be bothered with getting the new equipment and changing methods when I had the old way down pat.)  I was doing a lot of international travel so carrying a few pills was a lot easier than all the stuff needed for the liquid. Weighing out the small doses wad a pain, but once I had made up a hand full of pills it was a lot easier to store and carry.  I had a slight worry that changing the delivery system might throw thing off also.  Some people have trouble switching to the liquid and I didn't want to mess with success.  I don't see a problem with switching, but it didn't make sense for me.

Best of luck which every way you go, and keep us posted.  I'm so excited that you're almost done.

We had our opening night for the Haunted House on Saturday and it was a real success.  The crowd was fairly small as we had expected, but everyone had a great time.  A one point two police cars drove up in front of the house. Ended up that they were out chasing down noisy parties, but wanted to stop by and make sure everything was going smoothly.  They know us by reputation and really like what we are doing.   There were a few technical problems that cropped up which gave us something to do on Sunday.  Now everything is repaired and running properly and we are all set for the big crowd to arrive tomorrow.  We managed to have a couple of easy days in a row so I catching up on my rest.  We have the big show tomorrow, then have to start taking it all down.  Monica and I are going out of town in a couple of weeks and need to have the yard cleared and everything secured before we go.

Thanks for the reply Tom. It has been a long haul as you know yourself but once bitten and all that😀I might just struggle on with the tiny cuts too. I was tempted to move to the liquid in case I wasn't getting precise enough measurements but hopefully at this stage it won't matter too much if I am a little off. 

I certainly hope to be back with a success story after I reach zero. Reading stories about people getting off and staying off Paxil has really helped me so I hope to do the same for others in the not too distant future. Thanks again. Take care. 

Began Paxil in 2004 at 20 mg

Attempted to stop Paxil in 2012 but had to reinstate within 2 months

Began correct reductions of 10% in 2012 and have been reducing since then

March 2017 0.8 mg

October 2017 0.4mg 

March 2018 0.5 mg

Worked slowly up to 3.2 mg by May 2019 

January 2021 still at 3.2 mg 

Good luck with the show, Tom!

Dee, I just wanted to share how I did in the end. I weighed, and then titrated the small pill in water and used a syringe to lower the amount. I got down to below 0.01 mg this way. Best of luck! 

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

As someone who tried to move to the liquid, I can say it was an epic fail in my case.  Mainly because the liquid was name-brand Zoloft, not my usual generic Sertraline from Lupin.  The Zoloft seemed to pack a lot more punch, and I was only on it for 3 days because I could see the writing on the wall (had start-up symptoms like I was switching to a new drug).  So I went back to my generic tablets, experimented a bit, and found they dissolved and suspended wonderfully in water.  So I have been tapering ever since on a dose that is part tablet and part home-made liquid.  I am now down to 31.7mg from my starting point of 75mg back in July of 2016.

Started Celexa in 2001, moved to Lexapro (at doctor's suggestion), then Cymbalta (when Lexapro pooped out), stayed on Cymbalta for several years until it pooped out in 2011 (had a hospital stay and polydrugging that included Seroquel, Trazodone, Remeron, Ambien and Klonopin...never at the same time...just individually with my AD for insomnia).  Tried Celexa again without much success and then settled on Zoloft (Sertraline) in 2012.

2012-2014 - Sertraline 150mg

2014-2015 - Sertraline 100mg (after unsuccessfully discontinuing and having to reinstate after about 3 months)

Summer 2015 - Cut dose down to 50 mg over several weeks, but started having anxiety and insomnia again.

Fall 2015-Spring 2016 - Stabilized at 75mg in September 2015 and held until May 2016.

May 2016-December 2016 - **STARTED BRASSMONKEY SLIDE**  Moved from 75mg (25mg liquid and 50mg tablet) down to 50mg.

January 2017-May 2017 - HOLD at 50mg

May 2017 - Starting to taper again from 50mg (25mg liquid and 25mg tablet)

February 2018 - Now at 25mg Sertraline and holding for one year (just to give the ol' noggin a rest)

Hope your halloween went well Brass. We saw some good projects in our travels with the kids, some people really went all out, its fun to see. 

I was reading through this thread and wanted to reassure people that while some people who have left the forum for a time may not feel they have recovered, I know of a handful who do call themselves a complete success and recovery and don't post here because it's in their past, and some never started posting on SA to begin with and so never posted a recovery story. But they are healed and doing just fine. Apart from my hormonal stuff, I consider myself a success as well, save for mild anhedonia and lack of motivation, which could be caused by many factors at this point for me, besides wd. Even those areas are hugely improved. I was a CT/slow taper combo. I jumped off high Effexor doses and ended up on Paxil to help, which if it did, it was minimal at best. I suffered horribly the first 2 years (see signature).  I tapered the Paxil over 5 years and am med free for almost 18 months now. Have hope!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the very positive and encouraging post, Aberdeen!

Tom -- any chance you will post some pix of the Haunt?

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

It's starting to catch on in other parts of the world Aberdeen. I belong to several face book groups that have a lot of members from Canada, so it's possible to see displays in a lot of places.

Thank you for the comments about "life after zero".  Eighteen months already, man it goes fast.  It's so good to hear that things are improving all the time.

I might be able to find a couple Andy.  I think I still owe pictures of Egypt and China too.  Guess I had better get it in gear.  We had two really good nights.  We hit almost the exact same attendance as we had last year 450 Saturday night and 865 on Halloween. Everything worked properly and the crowd had a really good time.  I'm taking a day or two to rest and then it all has to come down.  Everything in the yard first so we can secure things so we can leave town for Thanksgiving.  After that we will take some time and pack things away properly.

brassmoneky does the gemini scale you use weight powder in the 1 and 2 mg range - I'l have to consider it, because anything below 5 mg for me is hard to cut.

Also your amazing ! So much time being Paxil free. :P

Stimulaton 50mg 28.11.2008 - 01.11.2011

PAXIL (Xetanor) 40mg;  30.11.2011 - 19.09.2017

Tapered : 19.09.2017 - 29.09.2017 20mg

Tapered : 30.09.2017 - 10.10.2017 5mg 

Reinstated : 03.11.2017;  5mg

14.11.2017 - 10 mg

13.12.2017 - 20mg

We need to define if we are weighing 1mgpw(pill weight) or 1mgai(active ingredient).  Because of the AI to filler ratio it's pretty easy to weight out doses to less than 1mgai.  When it comes to weighting out small amounts of pill weight the gemini-20 tends to struggle.  I started having  inconsistent readings when I hit 4mgpw.  From there on down I would do visual divisions, so I would weigh out 4mgpw and divide it with a razor blade "coke style".  I'd make two equal piles for 2mgpw and four equal piles for 1mgpw.  Not the most accurate method, but my figuring was that the dose was small the difference didn't really matter.  This also leads to larger than 10% reduction, however that is going to happen at the end of a taper no matter what method you use.  You could be more exact using liquid, but figuring the new dilution each time, getting it mixed correctly and the minor inconsistencies of the suspension all come into play on that small a dose and that shoots your accuracy.

Pay close attention to your scale usage techniques; solid work surface, no drafts, use the calibration weight during the measuring (hit tare to reset the zero) and work with a very finely ground powder.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, brassmonkey said:

No worries Nick, it's just a few very interesting posts, not a hijack.  I'm in the process of establishing a dedicated thread for the subject to discuss the "post "0"" experience so we can learn more about it and work out some strategies for coping with it.  Also it will be a place for mutual support of those going through the experience.  As Nick pointed out so well there are two divergent paths that need to be addressed as the experiences of the people who have slow tapered and those who have CTed/fast tapered are proving to be quite different.

I'm very happy to read this!!  I'm now 1 month off of Zoloft & it does kind of feel like a "no man's land" at times.  Yes, I still have some symptoms but nothing...nothing like when I cold turkey'd off of Zoloft.  I definitely have to use my stop/choose/DARE/float ect strategies to deal with the residual anxiety symptoms. I'm a firm believer that my brain can and is healing... 

Guess I'll check in a bit more often. :) 

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

After being stored in the family room for a year and three weeks the new refrigerator has been installed, except for the ice maker.  We can't find the hook up kit in all the chaos of the haunt so will have to get another one. I'm posting this from my laptop, but if I was so inclined I could post from the refrigerator.  It can surf the net and talk to me on my cell phone.  If I'm at the store and can't remember if I need butter, I can call it up and it will show me a picture of what's in it.  Monica and I are beyond jazzed.  Getting that big visual block out of the family room is really great too.  Now we can see the full impact of the remodel.   There are still a few small things to do, but it's 98% complete.

Finished taking down the front yard stuff from the haunt and have it all stashed in the garage and storage shed.  We can close the garage door for the first time in three months.  Everything is secure so we can leave town on Tuesday.  Going to Ohio to stay with family for Thanksgiving.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great brassmonkey.  Weird about the posting from the fridge though and all that connectivity.  I shall call you George Jetson..........you do remember the Jetson's, right?  I'm more the rustic type by necessity and I don't mind.  Probably hard to find a new fridge without bells and whistles so glad you guys are excited too!

Must be so nice to finally have your redo done.

Happy gratitude month and travels!

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

20 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

After being stored in the family room for a year and three weeks the new refrigerator has been installed, except for the ice maker.  We can't find the hook up kit in all the chaos of the haunt so will have to get another one. I'm posting this from my laptop, but if I was so inclined I could post from the refrigerator.  It can surf the net and talk to me on my cell phone.  If I'm at the store and can't remember if I need butter, I can call it up and it will show me a picture of what's in it.  Monica and I are beyond jazzed.  Getting that big visual block out of the family room is really great too.  Now we can see the full impact of the remodel.   There are still a few small things to do, but it's 98% complete.

Finished taking down the front yard stuff from the haunt and have it all stashed in the garage and storage shed.  We can close the garage door for the first time in three months.  Everything is secure so we can leave town on Tuesday.  Going to Ohio to stay with family for Thanksgiving.

If you are anything like me Tom, as soon as you buy the new kit you will find the one you already had lol...

Wow what a fridge. To be able to basically talk to it. How technology works is amazing.

Would love to see some pictures of the haunt and China is it?

Have a wonderful family time on Thanksgiving.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Leaving for the airport in about two and a half hours.  Off for two weeks enforced relaxation with the in laws waiting on me hand and foot. (yea I wish).  It should be a pretty laid back time, we have a great hotel with a pool that we've been to before.  Lots of family we get along great with and probably some snow (nice to visit but I don't want to live with it any more).  While packing I really noticed that I'm hardly taking any meds with me.  Our last trip I had a separate carry bag just for all that stuff.  The things for the chest problems took up a lot of room, but don't need them any more so they don't get to go. 

2 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Leaving for the airport in about two and a half hours.  Off for two weeks enforced relaxation with the in laws waiting on me hand and foot. (yea I wish).  It should be a pretty laid back time, we have a great hotel with a pool that we've been to before.  Lots of family we get along great with and probably some snow (nice to visit but I don't want to live with it any more).  While packing I really noticed that I'm hardly taking any meds with me.  Our last trip I had a separate carry bag just for all that stuff.  The things for the chest problems took up a lot of room, but don't need them any more so they don't get to go. 

Have a great time!

I wish we would get some snow. It's November and 70 degrees, just not right.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Got home yesterday evening. We had a wonderful time visiting family for Thanksgiving, catching up with everyone and enjoying  some weather that wasn't just plain hot.  Even got a trace of snow one day.  Things have cooled off a lot here at home, I even had to turn on the heater this morning.  Now we will take a day or two to unwind from traveling and then back to playing with projects around the house.  I came up with some fun ideas for Haunt related projects while on the trip and will start looking into them as I get a chance.  I hope everyone had a good holiday.

• Moderator Emeritus
21 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

We had a wonderful time

That's great to hear, Tom.

Most importantly, how are you feeling through it all?

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hey Andy-- very relaxed and rested. I had one day of slightly increased anxiety but that was because I had a restless night because I was very sore from swimming.  The hotel has a great pool and I tried to go every day, but pushed it a bit too hard and payed for it.  Also had some nightmares one night that didn't help matters.  But other than that, smooth sailing.  The flight home had some loud and obnoxious people which was unpleasant but not too upsetting.  I'm also very glad to be back to my nice soft foam bed, the one at the hotel was just plain too hard.

• Moderator Emeritus

Without putting words in your mouth, Tom, sounds like you had an experience that was for the most part similar to someone who had never been on the drugs?

Best,

Andy

On 11/14/2017 at 7:48 PM, Frogie said:

Have a great time!

I wish we would get some snow. It's November and 70 degrees, just not right.

Take care,

Frogie xx

hi frogie ,

i updose back to my orginial dose of 250mg couple days ago...nothing has change as yet.

i was taking fish oil but it was making me sicker and also b12 injection from a compound pharmacy that i been taking  for my chronic fatigue syndrome for many years, but its not helping me right now since im tapering. 

im comfortable going back to 250mg on this poision,  i will stay here @my original dose  ..and hope god will see me through this and to start feeling better. hope you are doing great.

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

In a lot of ways you'd be pretty close Andy. I still can get a good bit of cog fog once in a while, the short term memory is still shot and I can have real trouble finding words during conversations. Some of this is left overs from the AD usage, but I may have to face the fact that I'm no longer a teenager and have to start dealing with the results of a "lifetime of experiences".  There's still a good deal of sorting out and un/re learning things from the past 20 years odd years when my mind was altered, but I'm facing that with a fairly clear head.