SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Brassmonkey: Talking about myself

brassmonkey

(((HUGS)))

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

Hello Brassmonkey.  Hope things improve for you. 

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

On 12/18/2012 at 10:36 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hi All--I go by Brassmonkey, but you can also call me Tom. I new to this group but mnot new to WD. I started on 20mg of Paxil 19 years ago and over the years built up to 40mg. Aboth three years ago it stafted causing mre problems than it helped. I was constently in a fog, couldn't remember anything more than a few seconds, had balance problems and very heavy night sweets. My drinking was also out of control. After some serious "discussions" with my wife I decided I had better do something.

My Dr said "if you want off, then just quit." I knew better from when I had to change from 30 CR to 30 regular and there was a problem with the Rx. Some web research lead me to a forum that suggested tapering at 10% a month. Sounded good to me, not being one to leave a good thnig alone, I decided to sneek up on the 10% by dropping 2.5% a week for 4 weeks and then holding for an additional 2 weeks. In the past 14 months I have dropped from the 40mg to 13.7mg and have to say that I have had very little trouble with the WD symptoms. They are there, but are fairly easy to handle.

A few weeks after starting my taper I joined AA and CTed the 15 oz a night vodka habit I had developed. I'm technically not sober 'cause I still enjoy 2 beers on most nights, but it's nothing like I was drinking. I recently switched from AA to DDA (dual diagnosced anon) and find that they tend to understand the AD problems a lot better. Oh yes, and my wife is very happy with the positive changes I have made.

That's the basics, I'll blither on more as the topics arise.

Hi Brassmonkey,  I see that you did so well with your taper.  I went to a new doctor that was on my insurance because I couldn't afford to pay cash anymore. Anyway, I told this doctor that I wanted to get off the Zoloft because I told him I was feeling apathetic.  He tried to switch me to Lexapro via a fast tape, well I didn't switch,  I did the taper in about a week, extreme anxiety, etc.  He also told me he was not going to prescribe me anymore Klonopin and I had a month to get off of it or I had to go to detox.  This scared me,  I was then trying to taper off of everything and ended up checking my self into "detox" where they tried to give me more meds!  I said this is ridiculous and checked myself out the next day.  I thought I was having Klonopin wd but in reality it was the Zoloft.  I reinstated to max dose immediately.  But I still feel like I want off of it, maybe I am depressed maybe not?  I have been on Zoloft for 19 years all because my doctor prescribed Ativan to me for pressure headaches, with in 4-6 weeks I was hooked and acting very strange and flushed them down the toilet.  Needless to say about three months no sleep, lost 25-30 lbs and felt close to death.  I begged my husband to take me to the doctor, I felt like I was dying and the doctor prescribed Zoloft started low dose, but I was inpatient to get back to feeling myself again, so raised the dose to the max 200mg.  I have been on this since 1999 with the addition of remeron ( which I tapered off of successfully) Now I'm on that again too.  I have been on Remeron for 6 years and don't know if I should taper Zoloft first or Remeron.  Do you think I should even attempt this?  I am sweating profusely after I take the zoloft now, it never happened before.  I don't know what to do?

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Zoloft 200mg 1999 to 2017
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • 15 mg Remeron 2012-presnt
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • 01/18/18-present Zoloft 200mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

Sending hugs, Tom. I hope you feel better soon. <3

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

On 21/08/2015 at 2:53 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hi Freeby60--  thanks for dropping in.  I really like truing to make you new folk feel at home, WD is such a daunting thing.  When I first joined another forum for this a number of years ago I received such warm welcomes, it really set the tone for the entire experience.  

The time factor is something that most people have a hard time getting their hear around.  Most people view  long time as a couple of months.  I will have been tapering for 4 years next month (I still can't believe it) and with luck I will be jumping off somewhere around Christmas.  The whole process really gives you  new perspective on patience.  I am, however, amazed at how fast the time has gone.  I use to tell people that this will probably be the toughest thing they ever do in their lives and the inner strength that they will gain will serve them well the rest of their life.  I had to stop because I was freaking out too many people.  It ends up being one of those lessons that can't be taught, only learned.  But I am amazed every day, when I read through the various threads, at the strength everyone here displays if only because there is no other choice.

The symptoms I talk about having now are mainly for documentation.  They are nothing like when I started or even like a year ago.  But still I want to have a record and want others to see what the lower doses are like, as there isn't nearly as much documentation as with people who are in the thick of it. (That was a really awkward sentence, so I will end things here.)

Looking through your story and found this. My last drop was a week ago from 37.5 to 35 paxil. After 3 days I had a bit of depression, bit of shakiness. Then on 5 days I had a few pints and had depression the next day. Day 6 depression lifted and was groggy mostly and fatigued. Day 7 this eased and combatting negative thoughts. Today I'm a bit better. I think what scared me this drop was the length of time I'm in this game for. How my career is on the backburner, how I'm single and for someone to take me on would be a task. But I know I'll get through it, all I've got is time, there's literally no other option. I've just got to keep walking forward, one step at a time.

Next drop I'm going to stop being lazy with tablet splitting and get a proper 10% drop sorted out instead of just going in 2.5s. So in 3 or 4 weeks I'm going to 31.5, then after that I'm going to be excited at dropping into the 20s.

1995 aged 18 Started 20mg Seroxat and 50mg Half Inderal Beta Blocker for anxiety / 1996 stopped beta blockers / 1997 stopped Seroxat

1999 Started Seroxat 20mg again / 2000-2016 mainly stayed on Seroxat with some drops to 15 and 10mg / Sep-Nov 2016 tapered from 20mg to 10mg / Nov 16 Major crash and massive hike from 10mg to 40mg / Dec 16 - Jun 17 struggled with insomnia and bouts of depression (not had serious depression previously) / Jun 17 Increased to 45mg Seroxat with little improvement / Mid Oct 17 lowered to 40mg, Nov 1st 17 lowered to 35mg / Mid Nov 17 back up to 40mg / Jan 2018 down to 37.5mg / 8th Feb 2018 down to 35mg / 20th Mar 2018 down to 32.5mg / April gave up cigarettes (tough) / 14th May 2018 down to 30mg / 27th June 2018 down to 27.5mg / 24th July down to 25mg / 20th August Crashed

Dropping 2.5mg every 4-6 weeks provided have been level for at least 2 weeks of that. After 4-6 days from drop I feel moderate increase in depression and anxiety with mood swings of up and down, sometimes excited to point of mania. Subsides over 7-21 days to base level. 

DO CBT, ONLY WAY OF ACCEPTING SYMPTOMS WITHOUT GOING NUTS AND LETTING IT SPIRAL. I can even handle consequences of having a few drinks.

Hi BrassMonkey.  My name is Sam.  I'm hoping to follow your lead. Looking for some support.  Glad you are doing well, Have you been able to be a happy throughout your taper and after you jumped?  I am considering tapering After 19 years on Zoloft, I don't believe it's working anymore and don't want the problems of switching drugs.  So it's either keep taking it to avoid withdrawal or start to taper.  Just hoping I could be your friend for support through this?  

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/11/2018 at 1:26 PM, brassmonkey said:

Been fighting with a bit of depression and some anger flair ups the past few days.  I've been very tired and withdrawn and ache all over. 

I'm finding it hard to get excited about much of anything.

Hi Brass, that's rough... It will definitely pass, but it's a bummer to go through. I'd like to add my voice to the well-wishes and, like Shep, send you 

many hugs. ((((((Hugs))))))))

I'm really glad you're using magnesium. 

Perhaps acupuncture could be worthwhile for the aches? It can be very helpful for pain. There are community acupuncture clinics everywhere, and it is usually just around $20 to try out. (They are fully licensed acupuncturists; they treat in a communal setting which allows the price to stay low.) Could be worth a shot. 

Take care, my friend. <3

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Hi Jacko-- That list of symptoms sounds like a pretty normal progression.  I would suggest trying to cut down on the pints even more.  The reaction to alcohol can be very unpredictable, you can get away with it for a while them BAM you'll get a hangover that lasts for weeks.  All that going to a straight 10% drop will do is give you a very big hit of symptoms after each drop that will take just as long to stabilize as doing several 2.5% drops.  Making the smaller drops is meant to reduce the symptom load and make day to day life more pleasant and manageable.

Yes a taper is going to be a long haul, but it's not all suffering as things get better as you go down.  But you can't rush things, that will build a backlog of unresolved symptoms that will eventually lead to a crash that will take months to sort out.  We've seen it dozens of times.  It's always better to celebrate how far you've come and not think about how far there is still to go.  Breaking into the 20's is a real mile stone, but you don't want to trip getting there.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Sam--  I would say more determined than happy.  I had a good case of anhedonia for several years before starting my taper.  Combine that with the severe poopout I was in and I was several years into my taper before I was feeling much of anything.  I didn't start rediscovering my emotions until sometime in the fourth year and then it was little glimpses and a slow melting of the ice.  Things really started to improve during the fifth year and now that I am drug free I am pretty content with life.  My emotions are still all over the place as I am still learning how to control them in a manner I need to and that is acceptable to society. No crying jags in public, dispelling frustration and anger in constructive manners and the like. Life is a constant learning experience.

With your having been on the Zoloft for so long it would be a good idea to slowly start to get off of it.  These drugs were not designed to be taken for life, even though that's what the doctors tell us to do.  At some point they stop working and the only way out is to taper off of them through the WD symptoms.  That's how I did it and it's no fun to say the least. I highly recommend the Brassmonkey Slide Method, because it's developing a really good track record for gentle tapers.

Your avatar reminds me of Giraffe Manor in Kenya, do a quick google you'll enjoy it.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the hugs Sky--  it's just another small wave that has had to been endured.  Things started getting better a couple of day ago and I'm pretty much back to RecoveryNormal.

6 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Sam--  I would say more determined than happy.  I had a good case of anhedonia for several years before starting my taper.  Combine that with the severe poopout I was in and I was several years into my taper before I was feeling much of anything.  I didn't start rediscovering my emotions until sometime in the fourth year and then it was little glimpses and a slow melting of the ice.  Things really started to improve during the fifth year and now that I am drug free I am pretty content with life.  My emotions are still all over the place as I am still learning how to control them in a manner I need to and that is acceptable to society. No crying jags in public, dispelling frustration and anger in constructive manners and the like. Life is a constant learning experience.

With your having been on the Zoloft for so long it would be a good idea to slowly start to get off of it.  These drugs were not designed to be taken for life, even though that's what the doctors tell us to do.  At some point they stop working and the only way out is to taper off of them through the WD symptoms.  That's how I did it and it's no fun to say the least. I highly recommend the Brassmonkey Slide Method, because it's developing a really good track record for gentle tapers.

Your avatar reminds me of Giraffe Manor in Kenya, do a quick google you'll enjoy it.

Brassmonkey

Thanks @brassmonkey - I am going to go very very slowly, might take ten years!  I am currently transitioning to liquid before I start my taper. I'm starting with 5%.

• magnesium, fish oil

35 minutes ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

Thanks @brassmonkey - I am going to go very very slowly, might take ten years!  I am currently transitioning to liquid before I start my taper. I'm starting with 5%.

**waves**  I am also on Zoloft and tapering slowly (and successfully) using the Brassmonkey slide. And, like you, I've got quite a few years of AD use under my belt (around 17, methinks).  I've always said if it takes me another 17 years to get off, I'm OK with that.  I've been sliding since May 2016 and have remained functional throughout the entire process...juggling full-time job, marriage, house, pets, etc.

Started Celexa in 2001, moved to Lexapro (at doctor's suggestion), then Cymbalta (when Lexapro pooped out), stayed on Cymbalta for several years until it pooped out in 2011 (had a hospital stay and polydrugging that included Seroquel, Trazodone, Remeron, Ambien and Klonopin...never at the same time...just individually with my AD for insomnia).  Tried Celexa again without much success and then settled on Zoloft (Sertraline) in 2012.

2012-2014 - Sertraline 150mg

2014-2015 - Sertraline 100mg (after unsuccessfully discontinuing and having to reinstate after about 3 months)

Summer 2015 - Cut dose down to 50 mg over several weeks, but started having anxiety and insomnia again.

Fall 2015-Spring 2016 - Stabilized at 75mg in September 2015 and held until May 2016.

May 2016-December 2016 - **STARTED BRASSMONKEY SLIDE**  Moved from 75mg (25mg liquid and 50mg tablet) down to 50mg.

January 2017-May 2017 - HOLD at 50mg

May 2017 - Starting to taper again from 50mg (25mg liquid and 25mg tablet)

February 2018 - Now at 25mg Sertraline and holding for one year (just to give the ol' noggin a rest)

On 16/02/2018 at 8:14 PM, brassmonkey said:

Hi Jacko-- That list of symptoms sounds like a pretty normal progression.  I would suggest trying to cut down on the pints even more.  The reaction to alcohol can be very unpredictable, you can get away with it for a while them BAM you'll get a hangover that lasts for weeks.  All that going to a straight 10% drop will do is give you a very big hit of symptoms after each drop that will take just as long to stabilize as doing several 2.5% drops.  Making the smaller drops is meant to reduce the symptom load and make day to day life more pleasant and manageable.

Yes a taper is going to be a long haul, but it's not all suffering as things get better as you go down.  But you can't rush things, that will build a backlog of unresolved symptoms that will eventually lead to a crash that will take months to sort out.  We've seen it dozens of times.  It's always better to celebrate how far you've come and not think about how far there is still to go.  Breaking into the 20's is a real mile stone, but you don't want to trip getting there.

This morning I needed to read this. The thought of suffering for 2 years and more dragged me down and gave me massive anxiety over the weekend. Last night I came to the same conclusion and decided I'm going to lessn, not increase my drop downs. I'm in this for the long haul so take my time. I'm going to go 1mg a month, right down to 9mg if I can, if it gets tougher above that I may go 0.5mg. This is going to take years and I can either concentrate on it and suffer or try to make it as easy as possible and try to forget about it. Re. beers, I'm gonna be more careful, the upshot is I feel I'm living normally and enjoying life, but going too hard on them does create problems for sure.

Thanks for being there and helping us, you have no idea how important you are to us, you and the other mods are basically saving lives.

1995 aged 18 Started 20mg Seroxat and 50mg Half Inderal Beta Blocker for anxiety / 1996 stopped beta blockers / 1997 stopped Seroxat

1999 Started Seroxat 20mg again / 2000-2016 mainly stayed on Seroxat with some drops to 15 and 10mg / Sep-Nov 2016 tapered from 20mg to 10mg / Nov 16 Major crash and massive hike from 10mg to 40mg / Dec 16 - Jun 17 struggled with insomnia and bouts of depression (not had serious depression previously) / Jun 17 Increased to 45mg Seroxat with little improvement / Mid Oct 17 lowered to 40mg, Nov 1st 17 lowered to 35mg / Mid Nov 17 back up to 40mg / Jan 2018 down to 37.5mg / 8th Feb 2018 down to 35mg / 20th Mar 2018 down to 32.5mg / April gave up cigarettes (tough) / 14th May 2018 down to 30mg / 27th June 2018 down to 27.5mg / 24th July down to 25mg / 20th August Crashed

Dropping 2.5mg every 4-6 weeks provided have been level for at least 2 weeks of that. After 4-6 days from drop I feel moderate increase in depression and anxiety with mood swings of up and down, sometimes excited to point of mania. Subsides over 7-21 days to base level. 

DO CBT, ONLY WAY OF ACCEPTING SYMPTOMS WITHOUT GOING NUTS AND LETTING IT SPIRAL. I can even handle consequences of having a few drinks.

I was just talking to Aberdeen ans Songbird about the post jump experience and wanted to keep a copy here:

I have to agree.  Going through a taper is a very physically grueling experience that leaves us beyond exhausted.  Once we are free of the drugs our body can start to relax, recharge and rebuild.  There will be a down time for many months after hitting "0" where we are just not capable of doing much more than just resting.  I have noticed over the past nine months, that is exactly what is happening.  I was exhausted to start with but slowly I am getting my strength back and able to do more things for a longer period of time.  But I still have to pace myself and take a lot of breaks to keep from "hitting the wall".  Mental clarity and motivation are increasing weekly.  Emotions are coming back in a big way and require sorting, relearning and understanding. Not to mention socializing.  Being happy to be alive and actively engaged in the world again is such a wonderful feeling, but over whelming at the same time.  There is still so much sorting, understanding and fitting in yet to do, but like everything else it has to be done ones bit at a time.

Thank you for this Brass!  What was your final dose?  I know it was extremely low, but I couldn't remember.

Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

Hi Mustangwoman-  My records are lost in the depths of the filing cabinet, but a quick calculation shows it to have been 0.016mgai.  Yea, it was a little tiny bit, but it still made a difference.  As I recall the dose was 1mgpw of powder that I visually divided in quarters, which would give 0.016mgai.

Wow!  Thanks Tom.  I'm so glad to see you doing so well!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2017 at 12:47 PM, brassmonkey said:

It took several weeks of thinking about it to finally decide. Having worked in the entertainment business most of my life, being a writer, producer and performer I have learned that a good moniker is very important. 

Hey Brassmonkey!  I've worked in the entertainment business for about 15 years as well. Not as a producer or performer but in post production for places like Warner Bros and Disney.

2004-present  Zoloft  (Sertraline) 200mg 03/13/2018 (begin taper 5%) 190mg hold for 3 weeks

1983-present-Nicotine (pack a day) Seriously need to quit!

"What is the slope of the line?  "It's positive,' 'And what does that mean?  'It means we make progress everyday'

On 12/2/2017 at 12:28 PM, brassmonkey said:

I frequently see posts from members saying that they wished they were strong and brave like some other member, and every time I do it upsets me.  The strength and bravery displayed by every member here is amazing.  I posted this on another thread and wanted to shear it here also:

Being brave and strong has nothing to do with not feeling fear or handle things in a "proud" manner.   It's doing what has to be done to survive, sometimes minute by minute, hour by hour or day by day. If it's hiding in a dark place crying or going for a walk when you legs are too sore to move, getting out of bed and taking a shower, if it needs to be done and you do it, that's being brave and strong. Marching down the street exuding strength is a show of bravado which frequently accomplishes nothing, unless that is what the moment calls for.  The people around you who appear to be towers of strength, are often brittle and will crack and break when things don't go their way.  This is a big factor in why people in ADWD slowly lose many of their friends over time.  The friends do not have the strength and bravery to face the situation and so in time turn and run.  For those of us in the thick of it, we have no choice, to get through this we must go on minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day doing what needs to be done, and by doing so each and every one of us displays strength and bravery beyond the superhero level.

I like this.:wub:

2004-present  Zoloft  (Sertraline) 200mg 03/13/2018 (begin taper 5%) 190mg hold for 3 weeks

"What is the slope of the line?  "It's positive,' 'And what does that mean?  'It means we make progress everyday'

I was an Imagineer at Disney for several years. I helped build Tokyo Disneyland and EPCOT Center.  If you ever ride "Spaceship Earth", the big goldball, at EPCOT, there is some of my work in each of the scenes that you go past.  I found Post Production to be an interesting place to work. but it's changed a lot since I learned hand splicing on a Vidolia.

20 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

I was an Imagineer at Disney for several years. I helped build Tokyo Disneyland and EPCOT Center.  If you ever ride "Spaceship Earth", the big goldball, at EPCOT, there is some of my work in each of the scenes that you go past.  I found Post Production to be an interesting place to work. but it's changed a lot since I learned hand splicing on a Vidolia.

OMG! I worked right across the street from "Imagineering"  on Riverside drive, correct?  I grew up in that neighborhood.  That's amazing that you helped build Tokyo Epcot!  My good friend gets to travel all over the world for Disney, she's so lucky! I was actually in Post Production sound for a time, archiving all of the Disney shows for historical reference. I enjoyed my time at Disney.

On 12/17/2014 at 10:32 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hello everyone. I go be the name Brassmonkey.  I have posted here a few times in the past, but most of you won't remember me.  I am one of the flock of refuges recently from PaxilProgress.  My paxil odyssey began 20 some years ago when I was having  severe anger management problems.  There were a lot of factors involved and I really should have had counseling instead of drugs, but that is a story for another time.  In the beginning paxil served me well, really helping the situation.  Over the years is started to not work so well leading to several updoses and landing me finally on 40mg.  That dose didn't have any positive results and I slowly grew worse and worse, which I later learned was my slipping into tolerance, or what many affectionately know as poopout . (I love technical terms)  One of the tolerance issues was severe pain through out most of my body, which I self medicated with alcohol (bad move, but the over powering craving didn't help).  So three years ago, in poopout at 40mg, supporting a 15oz a night vodka habit and with my life going to h**l very quickly I managed to get lucid enough to make the decision to do something about the situation. 

I was considering a change to Wellbutrin (sp) and in researching it I discovered that the drug was my problem.  A little more research lead me to several forums where I learned about the proper way to taper at 10%.  Scared to death and being a symptom wimp I modified the recommended 10% every 6 weeks to sneak up on the symptoms by dropping 2.5% a week for four weeks and then holding an additional two weeks to let things settle out.  This plan was soon dubbed the Brassmonkey Slide Method, and has been quite effective for myself and a number of others.  Over the past three years I have tapered from the original 40mg to my present dose of 2.4mg.  It hasn't been with out incident, but I truly believe that Slide Method has made it quite bearable.  I also CTed the vodka around the same time, but allowed myself two beers a night until the cravings stopped.  I am fast approaching the two year mark of my sobriety, and rarely think about wanting a drink.

That's plenty about me for now, the rest will come out in the wash.

Hey Brass, this seems like a good method.  I wonder if I should implement it or just try 5% reduction every 4 weeks.  I'm am also a "symptom wimp".  Thank you for your time.  Doxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Doxxigirl, 

I have tapered Lexapro from 20mg to 8.2 so far using Brassmonkey's 2.5% method and have had minimal symptoms.  I don't really notice a drop, though I have two brakes in place, so that may be a factor.  This method is working for me.  I use the Gemini scale so have no experience of the liquid taper.  It is very good that you are so thorough and careful.  It will pay off.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

23 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Doxxigirl, 

I have tapered Lexapro from 20mg to 8.2 so far using Brassmonkey's 2.5% method and have had minimal symptoms.  I don't really notice a drop, though I have two brakes in place, so that may be a factor.  This method is working for me.  I use the Gemini scale so have no experience of the liquid taper.  It is very good that you are so thorough and careful.  It will pay off.

Thank you!  I'm a symptom wimp also.:P

I was one of the first employees at the Tujunga Facility.  I think it was in Studio City, I know it was on Tujunga Blvd.  I worked at the Riverside Facility for a couple of months.

I really highly recommend using the Slide Method. I came up with it to help avoid symptoms.  There are are good number of other members using it with great success.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Brassmonkey. Where are the directions for the famous Brassmonkey Slide?  Thx

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

On 12/17/2014 at 9:36 PM, Petunia said:

Hi Brassmonkey,

I once spent a weekend reading through your entire journal on PP, it was about a year ago, so probably not as long as it is now.  I was fascinated to read about the time and effort you and your wife put into Halloween activities each year. :)

Its good to read that your slide taper is still going so well.

So, welcome (back) to SA, and to the other PP refugees.

Hi Brassmonkey. I wish we could see your journal from PP.  Is there any possible way?

Baxter-- 2.5% a week for four weeks and then an additional 2 week hold.  That gives a total of 10% over 6 weeks.  That's all there is to it.

Doxxie-- I just tried the Wayback Machine and couldn't get a response.  There might be a copy floating around somewhere but I don't know where it would be.  It does make me sad, because there was a lot of really good information there.  My journal "Letters from the Island of Anhedonia" was the most view thread in the history of the site.

1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

Doxxie-- I just tried the Wayback Machine and couldn't get a response.  There might be a copy floating around somewhere but I don't know where it would be.  It does make me sad, because there was a lot of really good information there.  My journal "Letters from the Island of Anhedonia" was the most view thread in the history of the site.

I'm not surprised that it was the most viewed thread.  You are an awesome example of how it's done!

Note to self: 2.5% a week for four weeks and then an additional 2 week hold.  That gives a total of 10% over 6 weeks.  That's all there is to it.

4 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

It does make me sad, because there was a lot of really good information there.

This makes me sad! I'm a writer and I worry about my digital words and ideas vanishing.

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

That's why I totally avoid the "cloud" for data storage.  I also make sure to have a hard copy printout of anything important.  I have thousands of pages of things I have written over the years that are inaccessible because of outdated tech. 

1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

I also make sure to have a hard copy printout of anything important.

Good reminder! Thanks!

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

On 2/21/2018 at 12:20 PM, brassmonkey said:

I was just talking to Aberdeen ans Songbird about the post jump experience and wanted to keep a copy here:

I have to agree.  Going through a taper is a very physically grueling experience that leaves us beyond exhausted.  Once we are free of the drugs our body can start to relax, recharge and rebuild.  There will be a down time for many months after hitting "0" where we are just not capable of doing much more than just resting.  I have noticed over the past nine months, that is exactly what is happening.  I was exhausted to start with but slowly I am getting my strength back and able to do more things for a longer period of time.  But I still have to pace myself and take a lot of breaks to keep from "hitting the wall".  Mental clarity and motivation are increasing weekly.  Emotions are coming back in a big way and require sorting, relearning and understanding. Not to mention socializing.  Being happy to be alive and actively engaged in the world again is such a wonderful feeling, but over whelming at the same time.  There is still so much sorting, understanding and fitting in yet to do, but like everything else it has to be done ones bit at a time.

You have such a good way of writing. " Emotions coming back and sorting, relearning and understanding." Wow, just wow! You are such an amazing person. Glad to have met you here on SA.

There has been a growing undercurrent of people talking/complaining about their doctors being uncooperative in refilling prescriptions for their ADs and Benzos.  Many of these conversations end up taking a very personal "why are they picking on me" attitude.  I have always said that ADWD is a very personal thing and that we need to be selfish in our dealing with it.  But we can't become self-centered to the point that we lose touch with what is going on with society and how the world in general affects us in specific. I posted this on another thread and want a broader group to see it so I'm reposting it here.

"American doctors now a days are under huge pressure from the government, the licensing agencies, the insurance companies, the Drug Enforcement Agency and other law enforcement agencies to reduce the number of prescriptions that they write for drugs that could be used for "recreational purposes".  They're facing loss of license, lose of income and jail time.  Many, many doctors across the country are starting to take a hard line on all of these prescriptions regardless of needs of the patient, because it is coming down to a matter of their personal survival.  Even the act of trying to taper a patient off of the drug can be seen as  illegal  and can be prosecuted, so a lot of these doctors are just pulling the prescriptions CT.  We complain all the time about doctors handing out drugs with no regard for their effects, now that that is being cracked down on once again everyone is going to pay the price.

Everything is going to be alright, but you can't let your panic get the better of you.  Your doctor is trying to work with you in a manner that will work for both parties.  He is recommending an 8% reduction, that is well with in keeping with out guidelines.  ......... I suspect that he is under a lot of pressure from the "powers that be" and being the sole practitioner in the area is feeling a great responsibility to the population in general to maintain his practice."

For the same reason we don't like to compare one persons symptom response to another's, it's not a good idea to jump on our doctors for being mean to us when they don't follow our every dictate.  There's a lot more involved than just our personal interaction and, although we are the center of our universe, there are a tremendous number of forces that effect us that we are  unaware of but need to bear in mind.