Fear of being committed may have caused Connecticut gunman to snap

compsports

We all keep stressing that loosening the mental health commitment laws will drive people away from treatment for obvious reasons. Well, if the above story is true, this would be the ultimate irony.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/fear-being-committed-may-have-caused-connecticut-madman-to-snap/

The gunman who slaughtered 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school may have snapped because his mother was planning to commit him to a psychiatric facility, according to a lifelong resident of the area who was familiar with the killer’s family and several of the victims’ families.

Adam Lanza, 20, targeted Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown after killing his mother early Friday because he believed she loved the school “more than she loved him,” said Joshua Flashman, 25, who grew up not far from where the shooting took place. Flashman, a U.S. Marine, is the son of a pastor at an area church where many of the victims' families worship.

“From what I've been told, Adam was aware of her petitioning the court for conservatorship and (her) plans to have him committed," Flashman told FoxNews.com. "Adam was apparently very upset about this. He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry. I think this could have been it, what set him off.”

Read more at the above link:

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

We all keep stressing that loosening the mental health commitment laws will drive people away from treatment for obvious reasons. Well, if the above story is true, this would be the ultimate irony.

Good post CS, thanks. I'm still buffaloed as to how how someone living with a child they must know to be violent can have an arsenal in the house.

Edited 5:20 PM.. CS, this is a scoop. It's not even headlined on the HuffingtonPost yet.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Fox News? I think we need to wait for another source to confirm that she was planning on committing him.

Zoloft cold turkey in early '07. Survived withdrawal with other meds.

Hypersensitive to certain products/food/chemicals ever since. I'm not imagining things since they occur the day after I take them or tried something new the day before.

Fox News? I think we need to wait for another source to confirm that she was planning on committing him.

Normally, I would agree with you. But in the past Fox News has covered psych med dangers when no other media outfit seemed to touch it. That is why in this case, I tend to believe it might be true. But I would feel better seeing it confirmed simply to have another source, not because it is Fox News.

I am definitely not one of their fans but if this story turns out to be true, I give them all the credit in the world.

CS

Good post CS, thanks. I'm still buffaloed as to how how someone living with a child they must know to be violent can have an arsenal in the house.

Edited 5:20 PM.. CS, this is a scoop. It's not even headlined on the HuffingtonPost yet.

As everyone is wondering. I guess she was obsessed with guns and protection from the government, that it trumped the issues with her son being violent.

CS

How can someone commit a 20 year old? My understanding is that an adult has to be a danger to self or others before the law can act and family cannot force anything if the person has not yet tried to harm self or others.

This is of personal interest because of my sister and her many threats over the years. She was held for 5 days in 2009 (OD) but released even though hospital heard her threaten to kill me. She's in hospital now after another OD.

Forgive if this was explained in article.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

How can someone commit a 20 year old? My understanding is that an adult has to be a danger to self or others before the law can act and family cannot force anything if the person has not yet tried to harm self or others.

This was not explained in the article.

A person does not need to have attempted to harm anyone. Rather, there has to be an expectation the person poses an imminent danger to themselves or others. This makes it all the harder for me to understand why the mother would have left arms in the home. She was asking to have her son committed because he was some sort of danger, yet left the weapons in within reach. Unbelievable.

Where your sister is concerned, it sounds like the powers that be did not think she was a credible threat. A verbal threat may not be deemed serious unless the person has a plan worked out.. how are they going to harm, where would they get a weapon for example... etc.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy