ddeepbblue: New Kid In Town

ddeepbblue

Finding this site (via an article on psychology today website)and reading stories similar to my own

has brought me great relief. Relief that I am not alone in what I am experiencing, and that there is a name to it.

My journey with antidepressants began in April 1996, starting off with a low dose of Zoloft. Over time the dose had to be increased to the max dose as it quit working for me. I was then moved on to Wellbutrin, and eventually it quit working, and so on.

I eventually moved on to Effexlor, increasing over time to the highest dose. My doctor moved me on to Pristiq, then after a couple of years back to Effexlor. About a year ago was decreased to 37.5.

During a much needed vacation in Hawai'i, the return to my highly stressful job situation was a huge wake-up call. The job itself is not stressful, and I love it. (Working with dogs.) I have been working a split-shift schedule for the last two years, plus doing dog rescue on weekends, and caring for an elderly friend, leaving very little time to take care of myself. I met with my employer to let her know we needed to make a different arrangement, that i could no longer continue to have such long days. She didn't take it well. She is very difficult to work for, with a non-stop chaotic and stress filled environment that I could no longer tolerate.

Upon my return from Hawai'i in late October of this year, I discontinued taking Effexlor all together. Other than being lightheaded, symptoms were minimal. Until about 3 weeks ago.

The most noticeable symptom was memory loss at first. During this time, a close friend, elderly gentleman, that I had been overseeing care for the past near 10 years, passed suddenly. On December 19 I left my job of 5 years. So then the symptoms came on full force. The worst of it has been the anxiety, of which I have experienced two full blown anxiety attacks so far, and a constant under current of anxiety. Other symptoms that come and go are weepiness, guilt, lack of appetite, fearfulness, some insomnia.

I am still taking Trazodone for sleeping, and my Dr has suggested taking a 1/4 tab for anxiety.

I would say right now, the worst of the symptoms for me is anxiety and fear. I'm finding myself wanting to stay home. Can't even get myself to take my dogs for a walk or to the dog park. Any thoughts of a potential confrontation throws me into heap of anxiety.

Along with a history of depression, I also struggle with ADD. Ritalin has helped with that, but I did not take it often. Usually only in the morning on work days. No longer taking it at all.

Anyway, I am thankful to find this forum with people who have similar struggles as mine.

Thank you for being there.

• Moderator Emeritus

Finding this site (via an article on psychology today website)and reading stories similar to my own has brought me great relief. Relief that I am not alone in what I am experiencing, and that there is a name to it.

Welcome to the forum, ddeep bblue. I'm a fellow sufferer and in my opinion this forum is the best and only place for people going through antidepressant withdrawal. Would you mind giving us a link to the Psychology Today article? No one here seems to be aware that this forum was cited. Thank ya.

My journey with antidepressants began in April 1996, starting off with a low dose of Zoloft. Over time the dose had to be increased to the max dose as it quit working for me. I was then moved on to Wellbutrin, and eventually it quit working, and so on.

I eventually moved on to Effexlor, increasing over time to the highest dose. My doctor moved me on to Pristiq, then after a couple of years back to Effexlor. About a year ago was decreased to 37.5.

During a much needed vacation in Hawai'i, the return to my highly stressful job situation was a huge wake-up call. The job itself is not stressful, and I love it. (Working with dogs.) I have been working a split-shift schedule for the last two years, plus doing dog rescue on weekends, and caring for an elderly friend, leaving very little time to take care of myself. I met with my employer to let her know we needed to make a different arrangement, that i could no longer continue to have such long days. She didn't take it well. She is very difficult to work for, with a non-stop chaotic and stress filled environment that I could no longer tolerate.

Upon my return from Hawai'i in late October of this year, I discontinued taking Effexlor all together. Other than being lightheaded, symptoms were minimal. Until about 3 weeks ago.

The most noticeable symptom was memory loss at first. During this time, a close friend, elderly gentleman, that I had been overseeing care for the past near 10 years, passed suddenly. On December 19 I left my job of 5 years. So then the symptoms came on full force. The worst of it has been the anxiety, of which I have experienced two full blown anxiety attacks so far, and a constant under current of anxiety. Other symptoms that come and go are weepiness, guilt, lack of appetite, fearfulness, some insomnia.

I am still taking Trazodone for sleeping, and my Dr has suggested taking a 1/4 tab for anxiety.

I would say right now, the worst of the symptoms for me is anxiety and fear. I'm finding myself wanting to stay home. Can't even get myself to take my dogs for a walk or to the dog park. Any thoughts of a potential confrontation throws me into heap of anxiety.

Along with a history of depression, I also struggle with ADD. Ritalin has helped with that, but I did not take it often. Usually only in the morning on work days. No longer taking it at all.

Anyway, I am thankful to find this forum with people who have similar struggles as mine.

Thank you for being there.

It may not be too late for you to reinstate Effexor (at a much lower dose), but it's a gamble since it's been roughly two months. Most withdrawal symptoms are caused by getting off the antidepressant too quickly, and sometimes it helps - if not too much time has elapsed - to start taking it again at a lower dose. Once stable, you can then taper off very, very slowly, backing up if you become uncomfortable. It might take years, but that beats withdrawal syndrome by a long shot.

The adminstrator of this forum, Altostrata, is more familiar with Effexor withdrawal and reinstatement than I am, and she'll be along soon. In the meantime, you can read up:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/page__p__2985__hl__effexor__fromsearch__1#entry2985

Again, welcome. I'm glad that we can be here for you.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Welcome ddeepbblue,

I'm a fellow effexor WDer. I can really relate to the - what was it- Oh yea, memory loss. Seriously, I know it's frustrating. I can tell you that it gets better. I can also really relate to the fearfulness and fear.

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

• Administrator

Welcome, ddeepbblue.

It does sound like you have withdrawal syndrome from quitting Effexor.

It's possible that taking a little bit might reduce your withdrawal symptoms. Do you have any left? Were you taking Effexor XR, in capsules containing tiny beads?

Was it a quarter tab of trazodone your doctor suggested? What dosage are you taking?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Would you mind giving us a link to the Psychology Today article? No one here seems to be aware that this forum was cited. Thank ya.

Here is the link to the article I read. I see now that it is an older one from 2011.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201107/antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome

It may not be too late for you to reinstate Effexor (at a much lower dose), but it's a gamble since it's been roughly two months. Most withdrawal symptoms are caused by getting off the antidepressant too quickly, and sometimes it helps - if not too much time has elapsed - to start taking it again at a lower dose. Once stable, you can then taper off very, very slowly, backing up if you become uncomfortable. It might take years, but that beats withdrawal syndrome by a long shot.

The adminstrator of this forum, Altostrata, is more familiar with Effexor withdrawal and reinstatement than I am, and she'll be along soon. In the meantime, you can read up:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/page__p__2985__hl__effexor__fromsearch__1#entry2985

Again, welcome. I'm glad that we can be here for you.

Thank you for your kind words. I no longer have any Effexor so tapering off is not an option. Since I was on such a low dose it never occurred to me that there would be a struggle such as this. At first I actually felt better in some ways, and finally had the courage to make long needed changes in my life. Probably didn't help that suddenly I was facing two major life changes both of which brought on possible confrontations.

I'm going out of my way to avoid situations that seem to trigger anxiety. How long I can get away with that is a worry. Worry worry worry. Good grief.

Welcome, ddeepbblue.

It does sound like you have withdrawal syndrome from quitting Effexor.

It's possible that taking a little bit might reduce your withdrawal symptoms. Do you have any left? Were you taking Effexor XR, in capsules containing tiny beads?

Was it a quarter tab of trazodone your doctor suggested? What dosage are you taking?

Trazodone tabs are 50mg, so 1/4 tab would be 12.5mg

Am trying to only take it when the anxiety is unbearable, such as trembling, etc.

But perhaps I should be taking it anyway to keep the edge off.

It helps that as of right now I have no commitments. Though I just had to cancel one for next weekend due to anxiety over just thinking about it.

• Administrator

I'm concerned that your symptoms took a month to appear.

Yes, over some number of months, you will gradually recover from this, but it can be a long time.

If you took a little bit of Effexor, it might ease your symptoms and give your nervous system a chance to adjust to the change. After you stabilize, you can slide off more gradually.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.