A horrifying comment by a psychiatrist

compsports

I just found this comment by a psychiatrist on the neuroskeptic blog in response to a blog entry on mental illness and violence:

"Psychiatric diagnosis is proof of mental illness if that diagnosis is made by a psychiatrist. Most people don't seem to understand that psychiatric diagnoses are more than just some criteria - impairment is also required"

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2733981550095578188&postID=2534111385704868224

Oh my god and psychiatrists wonder why they are hated so much.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I just found this comment by a psychiatrist on the neuroskeptic blog in response to a blog entry on mental illness and violence:

"Psychiatric diagnosis is proof of mental illness if that diagnosis is made by a psychiatrist. Most people don't seem to understand that psychiatric diagnoses are more than just some criteria - impairment is also required"

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2733981550095578188&postID=2534111385704868224

CS

Proof that they needed a billing code to get paid. In a few cases there are actually people who are having problems and the diagnostic criterion fit, but often they don't because the shrinks never delve deeper than what they see to get the fullest picture like perhaps why the person is in that state. I will always maintain that people don't just wake up depressed for the most part. There are extenuating factors like poor coping skills which can be taught, like life situations that trigger stress and stress can trigger depression especially when it's prolonged. I think in most cases there are events in a person's life that trigger the stress and/or depression. Then the depression take a foothold when the situation is prolonged. I've seen in and I've lived it. Very few people I know that have had depression had it out of the blue. It was more often triggered by something or many things. And with most people expecting to be happy all the time and being told that going after what they want will give them what they want and the life they want, they come to expect too much and when it doesn't go as planned (rarely it does) they crash and burn. Such a loss can be devastating and trigger depressions. Then people turn to meds if they don't realize it's a situation that will pass and if they don't have coping skills to handle it or a good social circle to help them through it. Drugs as a solution to life's dilemmas is a dangerous practice. It's illegal and will land you in jail if you use illegal drugs, but it's allowed and considered the best course of action if it's prescribed by a doctor. How is that not the most hypocritical thing ever?

CS

Proof that they needed a billing code to get paid. In a few cases there are actually people who are having problems and the diagnostic criterion fit, but often they don't because the shrinks never delve deeper than what they see to get the fullest picture like perhaps why the person is in that state. I will always maintain that people don't just wake up depressed for the most part. There are extenuating factors like poor coping skills which can be taught, like life situations that trigger stress and stress can trigger depression especially when it's prolonged. I think in most cases there are events in a person's life that trigger the stress and/or depression. Then the depression take a foothold when the situation is prolonged. I've seen in and I've lived it. Very few people I know that have had depression had it out of the blue. It was more often triggered by something or many things. And with most people expecting to be happy all the time and being told that going after what they want will give them what they want and the life they want, they come to expect too much and when it doesn't go as planned (rarely it does) they crash and burn. Such a loss can be devastating and trigger depressions. Then people turn to meds if they don't realize it's a situation that will pass and if they don't have coping skills to handle it or a good social circle to help them through it. Drugs as a solution to life's dilemmas is a dangerous practice. It's illegal and will land you in jail if you use illegal drugs, but it's allowed and considered the best course of action if it's prescribed by a doctor. How is that not the most hypocritical thing ever?

You are right on target.

Not understanding that my depression was a life issue led me to being on meds for 15 years. Unfortunately, due to my sleep issues, I am struggling with it again but at least I know what is happening.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy