TV ads for psych meds

starlitegirlx

I remember the first time I saw a commercial for a psych drug. Despite being on psych meds, I thought that advertising them like groceries was inherently wrong. The hypocrisy of drugs you need a prescription to get being allowed while alcohol and cigarettes weren't seemed disturbing. Worse was that now people would hear the magical things these drugs could do and go running to their doctors to get them when in reality you're supposed to go to the doctor when you don't feel well, not because a pill advertised on TV sounded like it could magically heal all your woes. Note, I wrote woes, not ails because it's no longer about what ails you. It's about what woes you have, and who in life does not have them?

There really should be some kind of legislation against medications being advertised on TV. The fact that I know the name of so many drugs that I've never taken and I no longer work in the medical profession is disturbing. But I guess that's how it is when medicine becomes all about money and big pharma making their billions.

Ever notice how the list of side effects sounds like it's being read by an auctioneer? And they always leave it till the last possible second. And that sometimes you don't even understand half of what is said by the auctioneer? Reminds me of witchdoctors and side show carnivals.

• Administrator

You said it, starlite!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Pharma adverts are the biggest contributor to TV budgets, magazines, as well as the most powerful lobby in government. I can't imagine they will be legislated away.

Agree with all you said, Starlitegirl.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Pharma adverts are the biggest contributor to TV budgets, magazines, as well as the most powerful lobby in government. I can't imagine they will be legislated away.

Agree with all you said, Starlitegirl.

And so the indoctrination continues. So we've moved off the physical lobotomies and onto the chemical lobotomies. Guess that's what's considered progress nowadays. Booya!

I remember thinking this was so weird when I was in the US. We don't have drug ads in the UK, so it was really bizarre to see them advertise Abilify, an antipsychotic!

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

I remember thinking this was so weird when I was in the US. We don't have drug ads in the UK, so it was really bizarre to see them advertise Abilify, an antipsychotic!

I really want to move to the UK all of a sudden.

Only 2 countries in the world allow advertising of pharmaceutical drugs - the US and New Zealand.

In the US, direct-to-consumer advertising was illegal until 1985.

And it is very effective! Study after study finds that people see these ads, go to their doctor, and demand the drug. Many doctors will admit they give the person the drugs, even if they don't think they are appropriate, so as not to lose them as a patient.

Many people put more more care into choosing a car than in choosing a medicine. I can't imagine selecting a Chrysler for example, bec. I see an ad for it. Instead I do some research. Sadly many people don't, even when it concerns what they put into their bodies.

I think because they put too much faith in medicine and big pharma and the FDA. They think that if it is on the market, it is safe and it will fix them. They don't have that same caution with consumer products because they know they can get lemons end up screwed in the deal. What they don't understand is how corrupt the FDA and big pharma are. They don't realize that often some of the most dangerous side effects are swept under the carpet. They don't understand that long term effects are never accounted for because even though getting FDA approval takes a long time, you could take a drug and have effects from it past the time that it was monitored. Long term effects for drugs that you'll be taking for a long period of time, especially drugs you may one day want to come off of are what people need to be particularly cautious of but are not.

We've been trained for quick fixes and that life should be good. When it is not, we don't accept that life is not always good or fair. We instead look for a way to make it feel better rather than coping with what is and adapting to how things are. I blame the media. It really is their fault. Before TV commercials and magazines and the rest of it, people just lived their lives and functioned as best as they could and made the best of it. Reality shows have made it even worse. Now we've got epidemics of bulimia, anorexia, overeating, overspending to have some glimmer of the lives we see or are promised. People stay in miserable jobs and careers to keep these things and waste their lives for material possessions that mean nothing and add nothing to their existence while being miserable most every day. In short, society is F****d.

• Moderator Emeritus

Being in the UK like JR I was so shocked when I found out these drugs are advertised on TV in other countries, something so fundamentally wrong about it.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

Now they're advertising prescription roll-on testosterone on US TV. Now, who would be interested in that?

And then they punish athletes for steroid use????

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

People are being misled. This situation here, people are being told what they want to hear that "their pain can be prescribed away". If we gave the people a vote on the matter of legality of psych drugs, the people would overwhelmingly support them. The people want these drugs. The corporations want to sell them.

There are too many dishonesties to keep track of, really. But across the board we live in an age well represented by child-like resistance to reality. (maybe all ages are like this, I've only lived in this one.)

In the end, these things self-correct -- it's like tossing an apple into the air. Once I've tossed it, the shelf-life for the argument that the apple can float forever is rather limited.

Sometimes there is some benefit to understanding physical laws like gravity. Mostly though there is not. Gravity is not good or bad, just is.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Being in the UK like JR I was so shocked when I found out these drugs are advertised on TV in other countries, something so fundamentally wrong about it.

I can understand your surprise. I don't think the situation is particularly rosy in with pharmaceutical distribution in Britain though. I used to think it was somewhat better there and in Canada and the anglo-far west (or what's the shorthand for AUS+NZ?) but I've come to reason that each is likely worse in certain regards, better in others. This may be one area that where the UK and the other nations that disallow the ads come out ahead.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Even so called alternative health magazines like Prevention advertise drugs like Abilify. I was so shocked to see an advertisement for it that I wrote the powers to be and said they were a bunch of hypocrites for doing this. I never received a response.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia