Altostrata

Update on milk peptides (Lactium) for sleep

Altostrata

Bioactive milk peptides can be beneficial for sleep, according to a somewhat breathless recent article published by the Life Extension Foundation, a source for reliably good-quality supplements. The milk peptide formulation described is known by the trade name Lactium, made by a French company called Ingredia.

I have used this off and on for several years, and I have friends who swear by it. It is very, very mild but may be just the thing for people who are hypersensitive. I take it in the middle of the night when I wake up, to get back to sleep. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it seems to help.

I found the best value to be the oddly named Swanson Ultra Women's Anti-Stress Formula, containing 167mg Lactium per capsule (no other active ingredients) at about $.33 per capsule.

(All of the "milk protein hydrolysate" products claiming sleep benefits -- Immunotec Research PNT-200, Atrium Pro Calm, Symbiotics Tryptozen, Promedis Prozen, Biozen Relax, Point of Return Relax -- contain the same active ingredient, Lactium, in varying amounts. All of these manufacturers are purchasing from the same single source for Lactium, Ingredia.)

The Life Extension Foundation article, excerpted below, has a large set of citations -- the numbers in the text refer to citations.

Bioactive Milk Peptides: A Natural Sedative?

from April 2011 Life Extension Magazine http://tinyurl.com/3q9djoo

For generations, mothers have given their children a warm glass of milk before bed as a way to help them fall asleep. ...In 1997, pediatric researchers added to the evidence by demonstrating that newborns given an infant formula containing milk fell asleep not solely due to nursing and being held, but owing specifically to something in milk itself.12

In 2000,13 researchers identified what that “something” was. It turns out that nutrients found in cow’s milk called bioactive peptides (chains of amino acids) exert a sedative effect on the brain and induce sustained sleep patterns.

These bioactive milk peptides have since been shown to act on the brain’s GABA-A receptors,14 the same mechanism of action that makes the class of sedatives known as benzodiazepines so effective.15 The advantage of milk peptides, of course, is that they induce relaxation and sleep without the side effects associated with long-term benzodiazepine use.

In pre-clinical models, milk peptides15,16 markedly reduce anxiety and improve sleep in animals subjected to chronic stress.17

In human studies, a proprietary bioactive milk peptide compound used widely in Europe has been shown to effectively induce relaxation, leading not only to deeper, more restorative sleep, but also to substantial improvements across a wide range of stress markers.

Bioactive Milk Peptides: Reducing Stress, Restoring Sleep

When given this proprietary bioactive milk peptide compound, aging individuals suffering from stress-related symptoms and chronic insomnia consistently exhibit substantial reductions in biomarkers associated with the stress response. These stress response biomarkers include elevated cortisol, heart rate, and blood pressure, along with physical and psychological symptoms.

In a number of especially noteworthy published studies, the improvements in stress-related markers proved to be both significant and system-wide.

Cortisol Levels Slashed in Human Study

In a double-blind study involving over 40 healthy male subjects,19 two groups were subjected to psychological and physical stress tests, with cortisol concentrations, heart rate, and blood pressure levels measured at specific intervals.

Each of these three stress response markers were substantially lowered in the group taking the proprietary bioactive milk peptide compared to controls.19

Cortisol levels in the placebo group—measured before and after administration of stress testing—saw a net change of only -3.39%. This means that the harmful spike in cortisol typically caused by stressful situations was almost entirely unaffected in the group that did not receive treatment. By comparison, the milk peptide group experienced a net reduction in cortisol of -20.69%. In other words, the release of cortisol was kept under control by the milk peptides, limiting its detrimental effects.19

Human Studies Verify Sleep Efficacy

Recent studies validate milk peptides’ capacity to restore more restful sleep patterns while enhancing daytime performance and cognition.

In a placebo-controlled study of 165 healthy adults with a history of insomnia, participants were given 150 mg of milk peptides or placebo each day for one month.

Changes in their ability to relax and fall asleep were evaluated using established diagnostic tools that measure 27 individual indicators of sleep disorders and insomnia-related problems (including daytime cognition and overall function).20

The proprietary milk peptide yielded positive outcomes in nearly all indicators measured, for both men and women.20 Sleep quality, sleep efficiency, sleep disturbances, and daytime dysfunction were all improved, especially in individuals who suffered from moderate symptoms of anxiety or depression.

These results were confirmed by yet another clinical analysis of bioactive milk peptides in adults suffering from pronounced sleep disturbances.

Thirty-two healthy men and women suffering from insomnia during the preceding six months took a 150 mg capsule of patented milk bioactive peptide one hour before bedtime—or placebo—for a month.21

After two weeks, the bioactive milk peptide group experienced a 50% improvement in sleep quality. At four weeks, they needed 30% less time to fall asleep and experienced improvements in daytime alertness and function.21

MrsGreen

Hello!

Can Swanson Ultra Women's Anti-Stress Formula only be bought online or does anyone know of a pharmacy/store that sells it over the counter?

My husband tried CVS when he was in the States with no luck.

Bless you all,

Mrs Green

(Germany)

Altostrata

The Swanson product contains only Lactium, which is manufactured in France. You might be able to find it under other brand names in Europe. See if you can find any of these products in Germany http://www.lactium.com/uk/right-menu/find-lactium-natural-cure.html?zone=0

If it's available in stores in the US, they would probably be "alternative" health food stores or supplement stores. The most convenient way to find it is to order it online.

Here are the products containing Lactium available in the U.S. (most contain other herbs and supplements in addition to Lactium):

• PROCALM

• TRYPTOZEN

• PROZEN

• DE STRESS

• PNT 200

• DREAMERZ

• ANTI-STRESS WOMAN FORMULA (Swanson's, contains only Lactium)

• ULTIMATE STRESS

• BIOZEN Relax

• BENESOM

• LUMINA

I looked at most of them and found the Swanson's product was the best value.

I do not recommend supplements with mixed ingredients because if you have a bad reaction, you don't know which ingredient caused it.

MrsGreen

Thank you!

In this case I think I will go along with Swanson's - as I am sensitive to little things.

I will try to get some info from the company themselves and will post it here for information.

MrsGreen

Tom

I know this post is a bit old, but it looks interesting. I just ordered the Swansons, and am looking forward to trying it. I guess I will start with one and see what happens. Anyone having success with this? Any ideas on a good dose?

Altostrata

It helped me for a long time. I used to take 1-2 capsules.

Tom

Ok Alto, thanks for the info!

Rhiannon

So--can't we just drink warm milk? Those of us who are lactose tolerant, anyway. What's the advantage of this refined form? I'm thinking of trying it, but I already drink kefir and milk and prefer whole foods when possible.

GiaK

it's a peptide..a piece of casein...casomorphin...and that is all it is...it's got no lactose or other parts of casein.

so no, it's not the same as milk...but if warm milk works for you that's fine.

Rhiannon

it's a peptide..a piece of casein...casomorphin...and that is all it is...it's got no lactose or other parts of casein.

so no, it's not the same as milk...but if warm milk works for you that's fine.

Hm, maybe I'll try it...Is there a hangover effect, has anyone noticed?

GiaK

much to my amazement after much experimentation I'm clearly intolerant of milk....and it's NOT a lactose issue...it's a casein issue

casein acts on the opiate receptors and it messes with me...

I'm trying to get off lactium now...it saved me for a while...I was beyond desperate for sleep, but my milk intolerance (to casein/casomorphin) is causing a lot of pain...seems to exacerbate inflammation for me

So I'm tapering off it now...yup...and I do feel it...but it's not like a psych med...

see this:

http://www.yumuniverse.com/2011/04/25/dr-jenna-taylor-addiction-to-cheese-is-real-thanks-to-casomorphins/

When I went off milk (over a year ago now) I went through a radically intense withdrawal...I was completely SHOCKED. And it was like an opiate...cravings like you wouldn't believe...way worse than any psych drug...I did that cold turkey though...

I'm doing the lactium slowly...

anyway...people really aren't aware of how milk works in our bodies...I sure as heck wasn't.

If you do dairy though, taking lactium isn't gonna make the situation any worse in my opinion...but now that I've had such a radical (and shocking) experience with milk withdrawal I suggest everyone rule out issues with milk.

Altostrata

No, no hangover effect. I used it for quite a while and had no bad reactions.

Rhiannon

Do you have to take it all the time? I ordered some to experiment with during the times I'm desperate for sleep. But that's not all the time. I have spells of being able to sleep okay. I'd like to only take it when I need it.

Oh well, guess I'll be experimenting with it...not ready to give up my homemade kefir yet, so I'll be using milk products anyway.

Altostrata

No, you can take it as needed. It's very mild. You can take it during the day if you feel edgy.

Altostrata

Bumping -- many people find milk peptides supplements helpful.

Rhiannon

Just a note, I bought two bottles and then it turned out they give me headaches the next day. Just get one bottle if you're going to try them. :-)

Brandy

Rhi, by sheer coincidence, I'm trying to figure out whether the dairy products that got me through recovering from paxil w/d so far, might have become a problem for me without my realizing it.

As you know, I'm six years off paxil and still on the 0.5 mg. clonazepam I was on prior to taking paxil. (Oops, I never got around to creating a signature. Hope I can make even the highlights fit into one web page lol :wacko:. Horrified at realizing how many meds I've been on over the years. Can't even remember all of them.)

I've never tried milk peptides, but I'm wondering whether the fact that:

These bioactive milk peptides have since been shown to act on the brain’s GABA-A receptors,14 the same mechanism of action that makes the class of sedatives known as benzodiazepines so effective.15 The advantage of milk peptides, of course, is that they induce relaxation and sleep without the side effects associated with long-term benzodiazepine use.

might cause it to displace benzos in receptor sites. I know a lot of people find them helpful in benzo tapering, but different supplements seem to act differently at different stages of w/d from various kinds of meds, I've observed in my years of reading on w/d groups.

I tried googling briefly just now and didn't find anything relevant, but in w/d anything's possible. I don't know how long you tried the peptides - some supplements can cause unpleasant reactions briefly, but it certainly may not be right for your particular needs.

(I hope if you can't use them you can return them and get a refund. Swanson's is great about refunds if you need to order online - they don't carry everything but have a good selection of products, and they take returns no questions asked for a year and even pay for return shipping. I have absolutely NO association with them other than being an occasional customer, but thought I'd pass along the tip.)

Altostrata

In 2007, did one of my investigative projects on that claim about milk peptides having a "benzodiazepine-like" effect on GABA receptors:

Okay, this is probably the source of the (questionable) comparison of milk peptides to benzodiazepines:

Characterization of a-casozepine, a tryptic peptide from bovine a-casein with benzodiazepine-like activity

http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/reprint/00-0685fjev1.pdf

Abstract

"Caseins are a known source of biologically active peptides. In this study, we have shown evidence of a novel anxiolytic activity in a tryptic hydrolysate of bovine as1-casein. Injection of 3 mg/kg of this hydrolysate significantly reduced the epileptic symptoms caused by pentylenetetrazole in rats. Anxiety reduction was also observed when the hydrolysate was tested in the elevated plus-maze and in the conditioned defensive burying rat models. Peptides isolated from the hydrolysate were examined for their affinity for the ?-amino-butyric acid (GABA) type A receptor. Only one peptide, named a-casozepine, corresponding to the 91ñ100 fragment from bovine as1-casein, expressed affinity for GABAA receptor. In vitro, the peptide had 10,000 less affinity for the benzodiazepine site of the GABAA than did diazepam. However, in the conditioned defensive burying paradigm it was 10-fold more efficient than diazepam. The difference observed between the in vitro and in vivo activity of a-casozepine could not been explained by an action via the peripheral-type benzodiazepine receptor; a-casozepine had no affinity for this receptor. The a-casozepine amino acid sequence could be related to the carboxy-terminal sequence of the polypeptide diazepam binding inhibitor, an endogenous ligand of the central GABAA and peripheral-type benzodiazepine receptors...."

In my opinion, "10,000 [times] less affinity for the benzodiazepine site of the GABAA than did diazepam" makes it a pretty weak, even fanciful, benzodiazepine-type effect.

lexhex

Looked into this a little further and found several reputable brands on Amazon. I just purchased a chewable made for children. Contains 167 mg Lactium. I'll keep everyone posted once I receive and have a chance to try it. My insomnia is a BEAST. When I can fall asleep, as soon as I hit REM, my heart starts racing, which causes me to have dreams about people chasing me, or me running around in a frenzy trying to accomplish God only knows what. Of course I wake up and have to spend the next half hour trying to calm down and get back to sleep - and the fun starts all over again. This goes on all night long and inevitably ends with a racing trip to the bathroom (because the bowels are hyperactive as well.) Gotta love this withdrawal. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Altostrata

Lactium is very mild, I hope it works for you, Lexhex.

SigmundFreud

hi guys i have like $140 on paypal and im planning to buy milk peptide and L-tryptophan on http://www.lef.org . or whatever online shop can you suggest where its best to buy supplements? what other products can you suggest? thanks all and stay strong! 

Altostrata

Please read this topic from the start. Swanson's Vitamins offers the best value for Lactium.

SigmundFreud

is it okay for men to use Swanson Ultra Women's Anti-Stress Formula ?

Altostrata

Sure. Women's Anti-Stress Formula is a dumb name.

compsports

Decided to give this a try out of sheer desperation and because it seemed like the least risky option of all sleep remedies.   Good news is my apnea index was near zero.   Bad news is I only lasted 2.5 hours on the machine :( and they were useless as far as getting back to sleep.    Ended up also needing an ambien which I rarely take on a PRN basis.

I am beginning to wonder since I fall asleep very quickly if anything I take is going to have a paradoxical effect as far as sleep.   So far, that has been my experience with all med and OTC remedies that I have tried.

CS

LeslieBarns

Thanks for the info;

...if the Lactium works through the GABA pathway, then it wont raise serotonin levels in the brain, eh?   That's what I'm afraid of, since I'm on Levodopa/carbidopa + lorazepam + citalopram (which I'm trying to ditch first).  Even tho' I've reduced the citalopram from 20 mg to 10 mg, I still feel like the serotonin is overwhelming everything else sometimes, especially when the sinemet/lorazepam dose wears off.

I've lost a lot of weight, including muscle mass, and the branched-chain AA's, leucine, isoleucine and valine are supposed to help build up muscle, and I was hoping they'd help with the withdrawal as well - I haven't found them yet here, but I'm going to try the Lactium.

Thanks again...gosh this is a fast place to get answers!

toomanymeds

So is it a GABA antagonist?

Altostrata

Forget about all the hype about Lactium and GABA, please. It's the manufacturer's effort to get on the psych drug bandwagon.

daddybuggaorange

So affinity to GABA A receptors per all the research articles isn't a big deal? I came off klonopin last year and it was horible, so I am nervous about anything that impacts the GABA system as I do NOT want to go back "there".

tntd

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if Lactium would be safe to take while tapering off of a benzo?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

NickZ711

I took a half of capsule and it kept me asleep until 2. I tried the same dosage the next and I was tossing all night and really tired the next day. Has anyone experienced this?

Athena

Hi guys, interested in this old thread as well. Swanson's won't ship the Lactium in Canada. People from Canada here who got a good lactium product elsewhere? Thanks for any input.

Athena

I found bioactive milkpeptides in the brand LifeExtension. They say it's the same component as Lactium. For those having a hard time to find one under the name Lactium shipped to their place...

dj2010

I had high hopes for milk peptides helping with my insomnia but they did the opposite and I found them activating, I tried the swansons brand seen in link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017O95SQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

will maybe try again in a few months as im starting to be less sensitive to supplements now, 

only things that help me is slow release melatonin and epsom salt baths