SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Meimeiquest: my introduction

Meimeiquest

Thinking of you my dearest, sweet mei. :)

When I get discouraged and hopeless about my troubles, I think of you ..

I admire your perseverance, your humor in the face of adversity, and your support and encouragement for others. You are an inspiration.

I pray that God keeps you well, and healed ..

Sending you love, and many hugs ..

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Meimeiquest

• Altostrata

• mattinsmom

• Nikki

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mei:

Sorry to hear that things are a bit off right now. I noticed your comment about family and couldn't help but remember how furiously intake nurses were scribbling when, during my son's intake process when withdrawals failed, they heard about my family. What they never seemed to note was that family members (with the exception of my kid brother who was placed on drugs and committed suicide and me who tried antidepressants for a few years and found them worse than useless) all of my family were not medicated and had/have very full and interesting lives. Predispositions are not prognoses and, more importantly, drugs aren't the answer. I wonder if part of the dissatisfaction with Dr Allen's comment about withdrawal isn't in the sloppiness of terminology that the psychiatric profession has created. Some differentiate "withdrawal" as the destabilization resulting from a change in dose, from the long term effects of having been on the drugs. Others refer to a drug's long term effect/damage (or damage from rapid withdrawal) as protracted withdrawal. I'm glad you have a strong support system.

Thinking good thoughts atcha,

Ed

Thanks Ed and Tezza,

I appreciate your kind words, yet I have to say what I am experiencing is so minor compared to so many here. I did up dose today to what makes a 10% drop instead of the 25% the dr. ordered, and divided into 6 doses. Yes, I'm a bit high maintenance. But I feel very strongly that a symptom-based taper helps build self-assessment and empowerment skills so I am going to hold my ground on this.

Actually, I would like to stop Wellbutrin now and just lay in bed till the symptoms end, but that's a bit expensive since I don't have benefits at work.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Sorry I wasn't more clear. As far as the doctor, he is not near, but still in TN. It may come to that...thanks! I am particularly interested in ideas as to whether I should tackle the oxazepam or Wellbutrin next, since I have been back on the oxazepam such a short time. Right now I'm chilling after the Zyprexa taper.Thanks, MeimeiquestRecent completed tapers: Adderall, Nuvigil, oxazepam 8/12, Zyprexa 12/29/12 (was started 8/06)Current meds: Lithium 600mg twice daily (started 11/06), Wellbutrin XL 300mg daily (started 1/07), oxazepam 25mg at bedtime (started 6/06, stopped 8/12, restarted at 30mg 12/10/12 during Zypreza withdrawal)Drama started with situational depression & rotating day/night shifts 10/1989ADs I have taken: Prozac (years), Celexa, Effexor, Cymbalta, WellbutrinKnown conditions that affect my mental health: gluten intolerance, obstructive sleep apneaFound this website 1/14/13

Hi Meimeiquest,

I too started on Prozac in the 80's I am glad that you really found the culprit of your fatigue! Did you know that the SSRIs can cause muscular symptoms. I don't know if that is what could have caused your fibromyalgia. I have been treated for Chronic fatigue myself and now I truly believe that all of my meds, Abilify, Viibryd (new SSRI) are causing my fatigue.

I am 50 and am on bioidentical hormones. Have you had your estrogen, testosterone and progesterone levels checked? This might help you also, because at your age your hormones could be out of balance. Low estrogen levels effect your memory profoundly! I have been there.

There is a book that has helped me tremendously! It is called, " The Ultramind Solution", written by Mark Hyman, M.D. It addresses how are broken bodies have caused our broken brains. He addresses pyschotrophic meds in his book and says that they only treat symptoms and don't get to the solution. He talks about diet and supplements, such as amino acids, vitamins and minerals that help get out brain chemicals in balance without psychotrophic meds. He also talks about the importance of getting your hormones in balance including your thyroid. 

I have seen so many posts here from people that are still have withdrawal symptoms years later and I want to know that there is hope. What is the point of withdrawing from all meds if we are going to feel worse than we did on the meds. This book has given me hope. I have started with some of the supplements and feel that they are helping, although it has only been a week. I refuse to believe that my brain has been permanently damaged. This doctor talks about how it is possible to grow new brain cells.

I am currently, just started 12 days ago weaning off of Abiify, then I will wean off of Adderall (taking for fatigue), and then Viibryd. I also believe there is a God that is quite capable and very willing to heal our brains if we just ask!

Hope this helps. I want to encourage others and not scare them into thinking there is no hope!

Another Saturday....most people jump off Wellbutrin long before this, so I thought it would be safe to try taking doses just when I feel symptoms...WD head and solar plexus symptoms come quickly and a bit of Wellbutrin helps quickly. I am dropping faster than I expected.. had 10 mg yesterday. Unexpectedly, I feel a little sad as I say good-bye to the crutch of antidepressants. Still not sleeping great. Some tiredness. Just fragile. Had a good week.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

• Administrator

Keep on keeping on, Meimei.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Mei,

My Mother was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia about 20 years ago and I am wondering if she actually has Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) or Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS). I have read a manuscript that stated there has been one case where the patient was misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia and actually had OSA. Once put on CPAP therapy the patient's Fibromyalgia symptoms were cured. I have also read that UARS causes Fibromyalgia or can be miss diagnosed as Fibromyalgia.

Since I have been diagnosed with severe OSA I have been trying to get my Mother and Father (he has A-Fib) to take a sleep study. I am interested if your Fibromyalgia Symptoms have decreased or have they completely stopped?

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

The answer to the fibro question is weird....I was on Prozac, then Cymbalta, the whole time I had "fibro." The last few years I was on the guaifennasin protocol, so also taking Mucinex. Then I flipped into bipolar, stopped the guaifennasin and Cymbalta, started on Abilify and oxazepam. About 10 days later the pain became "worst ever", then went away completely within a week. Has never come back (but I am still on oxazepam which has some muscle relaxant properties). But I still had fatigue until I went on CPAP...but I was still on Wellbutrin which is supposed to be energizing. I've just gone off Wellbutrin and I am more tired by the day, but that may be normal. The sleep people told me OSA has a huge genetic component because the shape of the back of the throat determines vulnerability. My mom and 3 of 4 sisters all have it (the youngest is in her mid-30's, her day is coming). And for those with spouses, none of our husbands thought we had breathing pauses (and one is an EMT). So I would go for it, but my perspective may be skewed. Meimei

56 years old

Thank you for your response...

I think everyone in my family is in denial and at one time that included me. After six month of me sending manuscripts to my Father about the relationship between A-Fib and OSA he finally told his Cardiologist that I had OSA. His Cardiologist told him he needed to have a Sleep Study. That was over a month ago but he still hasn't made an appointment. One of my Mother's doctors told her years ago she should have a Sleep Study and she still hasn't had one. I have also sent her information about the relationship between Fibromyalgia and UARS. So in your case is it safe to say that you no longer have Fibromyalgia?

So far, I have convinced two of my friends to get a Sleep Study and both of them have been diagnosed with OSA. One of my friends was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the other had symptoms of Anxiety and Depression. I am currently trying to get three more of my friends to get a Sleep Study. One is being treated for Depression, another was diagnosed as Bipolar as a child but isn't currently on medication and the other has been self-medicating himself for years.

I hope you continue to get better.

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

It seems like everyone comes out with a positive study...makes me wonder. Almost like going to a psychiatrist and leaving with a prescription :). But it has made.a huge difference for me. For me, I doubt I ever had fibromyalgia, I just met all the diagnostic criteria. I either had pain from the serotinergic drugs, or it was related to my underlying mental illness, whatever that is. I don't exactly know when the OSA started.

56 years old

Another week. This year is going so very slowly. My last dose of Wellbutrin was July 8 at 2AM. 1.25 mg. I took it because I hadn't gotten to sleep and my upper back and neck were hurting so bad. At 4 AM I checked my pill organizer...I'd forgotten to take the oxazepam. Somehow it seemed fitting to end the Wellbutrin with a med screwup. I did the same with Zyprexa when my husband, while we were traveling, put his wet toothbrush in the baggie with the tablet fragments.

Overall, I'm doing okay. Sleep is slowly improving. I have random short-lasting typical withdrawal symptoms. I'm quite tired as expected. The surprising and persistent thing is moderate neck and shoulder discomfort, especially unexpected since I was treated by my chiro less than two weeks ago. The problem seems to be the muscle tissue. I'm guessing pain might be the bane of the oxazepam withdrawal. I so believed that withdrawal would have been easier if I had tapered the Wellbutrin first, but I can't imagine how fatigued I would be now if I still had Zyprexa on board. There is no tidy way to dismantle a house of cards.

We watched the movie Lincoln last night. I really act like Mrs. Lincoln sometimes, I'm very embarrassed to say. Less so as time goes on. My husband now just says, "Meimei, what can I do to help you feel better?"

56 years old

Another Saturday...Wellbutrin-free since July 9

The good news...I don't have any funky head symptoms, and any day without them is a blessing. My sleep is trending upward. The morning cortisol drill is lessening in intensity.

The bad news...I am so tired. To be expected since Wellbutrin especially affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I am working on getting an appointment with an integrative psychiatrist to rule out any more physical contributors to fatigue and depression, but it will be a few months. Still some back and neck discomfort.

The weird news...I have had a few runs of free-floating anxiety. It starts when I am in an unstructured moment after finishing something structured. But it goes away as soon as I get refocused. It's sort of like my brain slipping out of gear. Near Easter, I did a 3 day stint of diarrhea and sympathetic overload. I got a chemical-like taste in my mouth, and it has never gone away, but it gets much worse when my symptoms are worse. I used to do runs of taste, then nausea a few seconds later, then head a few seconds later. Now when I feel "too tired to live" I notice it a lot more. Maybe I have taste bud tinnitus?

The get-a-grip news....My mind keeps looking ahead to the oxazepam taper (not starting it, just thinking of it). I fear all my tapers are going to catch up with me there...mine have just been miserable, not hellish like so many have experienced. I keep telling myself the symptoms can only last for one day if you release every day as it passes and don't try to project out to the next day in the future. But I'm still having issues.

56 years old

Maybe I have taste bud tinnitus?

Oh, this was too funny!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Meimei, I always admire the graciousness, and sense of humor with which you handle your

symptoms .. :)

I am trying to learn from you .. :)

But am falling short trying ..!!

Congratulations on getting rid of one med!!

I hope all the symptoms disappear, and that you get some peace ..

Thinking of you,

hugs, Lexi

Hello,

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Another Saturday....The stuff of withdrawal is very nearly gone, but the pain and fatigue are ramping up. In fact, I feel now like I did when I was operating under a fibromyalgia diagnosis. That has been upsetting...I finally realized it is because it reveals I am not as good at going inside myself and seeing what is there as I thought I was.

So I am trying to figure out a care plan based on the book Gia recommended, Unravelling CFS. And I am working on a plan to start reducing oxazepam at 1/500th of the dose/day...a plan subject to change at a moment's notice. I am SO tired of all these drugs and having to dissect how they work, etc, etc. I would really like a silent taper, if such a thing is possible.

Gia wrote that she has had contact with many fibro patients who developed mania on drugs that increase norepinephrine. I did it on Cymbalta and Wellbutrin, but not with Prozac.

56 years old

Well, friends, it seems the time has come for me to say good-bye. I really seem to be completely through my AD withdrawal period. Like others, I have apparently landed where I was in 2005 before my depression-while-on-Prozac started. Which leaves me with a relatively mild, but still life-altering, case of fibromyalgia. I really need to do battle with that, so I need to move on. It will probably be a long time before I can write a success story as I am still on 2 psych drugs, but I have marked my calendar annually to see if I am ready. I would never have made it this far without your advice and support. To Alto, the mods, and other sages, there are no words to express my gratitude. I had hoped to stick around as encourager, not realizing a different kind of battle was before me. But it is what it is, so I say good-bye with thanks. Courage to everyone! Kathy

56 years old

Dearest, sweet meimei,

I will never forget you, and you will always be in my prayers.

Take good care, and may God keep you safe and healed ..

Sending you a heartfelt hug,

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

Meimei, thank you so much for being part of our community. Please do let us know from time to time how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Sweetie, we will miss you so much! You take real good care of yourself and please keep us updated!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wasn't gone long! I saw the infamous MIA post in my FB feed, and knew I had to come back to SA. The people who have lived this have to stick together!

WD-wise, I am probably in a normal place. I am really thinking what was first wrong with me was CFS. The author of Unravelling CFS says to look for a place where you felt the stress of inadequacy, followed by the start of symptoms. In 1999, my husband left in his job in a situation that was stressful for us both, then we went to China to adopt which was very emotional and tiring. I have had many life experiences that led to my feelings of inadequacy about getting things done. When we came home, we had to get our house on the market ASAP. I am just a bad housekeeper and completely uncreative. We lived in a development that was still being built out. The realtor told us people would come to see the new construction and then ask if there were existing homes available. He said our competition was the model home and we needed to be ready to show our house in 15 minutes. And I had an insecure, needy, developmentally-delayed one-year-old who I was just getting to know. The house sold in eight weeks, but I haven't really been the same since. I went to the doctor for a sore throat, he asked how I was home from China, I said "tired" and took my leap from the frying pan to the fire with a Prozac prescription. Neither of us used the word depression.

The good thing is that CFS and psych drug withdrawal seem to be very closely related. And I have had a horrible experience with my in-laws spanning the past two weeks that seems to confirm that this is what is going on. My MIL leaves tomorrow, and hopefully we can get started on a strategy. My husband actually read Unraveling CFS...first proactive thing in all these years. He just sees me as the family nurse, heavy sigh. Step one, housekeeper! No more expensive than counseling :).

56 years old

• Administrator

Nice to see you again, Meimei. Sorry you're feeling stressed. A housekeeper is an excellent idea.

Please share with us some of your insights about CFS and withdrawal syndrome.

Meimei,

I am so delighted that you are back .. :)

This forum is not the same without your warmth, your sweet disposition, your

delightful humor. :)

I am so sorry that you went through so much..

But I hope that you are doing well ..I pray that you will be graced with peace,

well being, and healing.

Thinking of you, and sending you love and hugs .. :)

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Ok, I realized this week that I am weird with my oxazepam. Years of stability on it, but now it is not enough. That whole house of cards thing. Now I need some around the clock, not just at bedtime. I tried 6 mg in the morning, and that earned me 6 hours on the couch. So I have been mixing 15mg in water and taking it as needed through the day. Bizarre, and problematic when I am at work. Then I take 15 mg 2 hr. before bed and sleep really well for 5 or 6 hrs., take a bit more in water and sort of sleep some more.

So I am thinking of taking 15mg of oxazepam with 5 mg of Valium liquid at bedtime (liquid so I could fiddle with the dose if needed). Oxazepam is one of Valium's metabolites. I took Valium before to taper with a fairly clueless integrative doctor, then restarted oxazepam for insomnia...I wasn't trying very hard. I felt sort of "meh" on Valium, so taking the whole dose as Valium isn't my first choice. It is way too soon for me to start another taper. Any advice? Thanks!

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Meimeiquest.. it sounds like interdose WD, as you suspect. What is the reason you are not splitting the full dose evenly, as opposed to taking 15 mgs at HS, and splitting only one half? Do you think you would get to tired if you took more during the day? I suspect this is the problem... the half life of oxazepam is 4 to 15 hours. 

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Because when I made a solution and took 6mg it totally zonked me for 6 hrs in the daytime. I've never taken a benzo in the daytime except one day when I mixed up my morning and night meds--I was limp celery all day.

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Because when I made a solution and took 6mg it totally zonked me for 6 hrs in the daytime. I've never taken a benzo in the daytime except one day when I mixed up my morning and night meds--I was limp celery all day.

Unfortunately this is what you need to do to stop the ID Withdrawal.  Have you taken any other types of benzos? The ID would probably lessen with the addition of diazepam (though not completely go away) because it has a longer half life, but IMO, you would still end up with ID at some not so far distant time.  And of course you would be adding another drug to treat WD. Maybe Rhi will chime in here... your plan does not sound like a good one to me.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Well, I can understand what you're saying. I guess I would adjust someday. I'm doing fairly well right now, just taking a little dab at the first hint of symptoms.

56 years old

P.S. the only benzos I've taken are oxazepam and the little run of Valium.

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Meimeiquest, I'm saying you would still end up with IW at some point, and 5 mgs of diazepam might not mitigate all the IW symptoms you have now... you are on 30 mgs of oxazepam which is the equivalent of 15 mgs of diazepam, so adding 5 mgs is an increase of 30%... not a good solution .  This site does not support a cross taper to diazepam so you cannot get help with that here, but that might be a better solution than an updose. 

Thanks so much, Skyler. I will mull it over....just thankful this dilemma does not involve mania :)

56 years old

OK, I have been mulling. Thinking of a 15mg cap at 7pm (onset of action is about 2hrs) and then using a divided up (eyeballed into empty capsules) 15 mg capsule for 5mg at 9 pm, then 2 .5 mg at 5 am, 8 am, 12pm, and 4 pm. I try to sleep 9 pm to 5 am, and it seems I need more benzo earlier in the day. I can take capsules while out and a out much easier than liquid.

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

OK, I have been mulling. Thinking of a 15mg cap at 7pm (onset of action is about 2hrs) and then using a divided up (eyeballed into empty capsules) 15 mg capsule for 5mg at 9 pm, then 2 .5 mg at 5 am, 8 am, 12pm, and 4 pm. I try to sleep 9 pm to 5 am, and it seems I need more benzo earlier in the day. I can take capsules while out and a out much easier than liquid.

Its a start... . I would try evening out 15 mgs over a 12 hour day, then 15 mgs to sleep, (seems like 9 PM works best), but ease into things as you have proposed.  You are heading in the right direction.

Thank you!

56 years old

I am really getting scared now. Does anyone know of anyone who has worked (I just work part time) and mothered and gone through menopause through a multi-drug taper? Since my benzo has sort of blown up, I have been mostly taking oxazepam 20mg at night and four 2.5mg doses spread out through the day. It's not enough to control my symptoms (sound sensitivity is my new worst symptom) and my family is totally stressing out.

56 years old

I am really getting scared now. Does anyone know of anyone who has worked (I just work part time) and mothered and gone through menopause through a multi-drug taper? Since my benzo has sort of blown up, I have been mostly taking oxazepam 20mg at night and four 2.5mg doses spread out through the day. It's not enough to control my symptoms (sound sensitivity is my new worst symptom) and my family is totally stressing out.

Hello Meimeiquest.  I don't know all your history but if you are concerned with interdose withdrawal then your regime (20mg + .25mg + .25mg + .25mg +.25mg) is unlikely to address it.  

Out of all my benzos, the one which gave me most trouble was loprazolam which has similar half-life pharmacokinetics to oxazepam.  I took an equivalent dose to you, I also took it mainly at night and, like you, I would also take reduced rescue doses during the day.

The result was very severe mental disorientation for almost the entire day (plus a bunch of more typical benzo WD symptoms). The symptoms were exceptionally bad and lasted almost solidly for 2 years during which time I got worse and worse.

In retrospect, I can see I would never have improved until I eventually went over to a longer lasting benzo (diazepam) which I took in equal divided doses spread evenly throughout 24 hours.  Despite taking less benzo at night, my sleep improved because my whole CNS was more settled.

I hope you might be able to get a similar improvement to me by distributing your doses more evenly.

Difficult two year benzo taper. Subsequently took amitriptyline and Lyrica for pain and had to taper off them too. Both tapers were brutal possibly because of an underlying mitochondrial disorder which caused nerves to have insufficient energy to function.