SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Altostrata

I use the Trader Joes brand since it is cheap and I don't see any difference using it vs. a more expensive one. If I remember correctly, the quality was considered ok, right?

Obviously, taking them doesn't make up for my not getting top quality sleep but it does help somewhat with functioning so therefore, I see it as a positive.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

I found TJ's brand to be effective.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

https://certifications.nutrasource.ca/certified-products?type=certification&value=IFOS

General informationhttps://certifications.nutrasource.ca/about/how-certifications-work/ifos

Here you can find pretty much the best (although more expensive) fish oil brands on the market:

The following quote is from the old link http://www.ifosprogram.com/industry-home:

The International Fish Oil Standards Program (IFOS) is a third party testing and accreditation program for omega-3 fish oil products.

For every testing category a product passes, it is awarded one star for a total of 5 possible stars. A 5-star rating means that the product:

- Complies with all CRN/GOED/WHO testing categories

- Contains the same quantity of active ingredients that is listed on the product label

- Has an oxidation level less than 75% of the CRN/GOED standard

- Has PCB levels less than 50% of the CRN/GOED standard

- Has dioxin levels less than 50% of the WHO standard

Certificates of analysis are also available on the site.

Edited by ChessieCat
updated link

From 2001 to 2010, I took almost continuosly a host of different SSRIs , including Prozac, Celexa and Paxil, plus various benzodiazepines and Bupropion for a limited period of time.

From July 2010 to April 2012 >> Duloxetine, dose ranging from 60mg to 120mg.

From August 2012 to September 2012 >> reinstated 30 mg of Duloxetine

From September 2012 until present days >> Valproic Acid/Sodium Valproate, dose ranging from 300mg to 1000mg. Now I'm on 400mg. I've also taken Amisulpride (50mg) for 9 days and Abilify (10ml) only once.

• Administrator

Excellent resource, thanks, Outshined.

It looks to me like IFOS certification addresses the purification issues http://www.ifosprogram.com/testing-services/ifos-testing-services.aspx , but not whether the product has been re-converted into synthetic triglycerides, which Chris Kresser is concerned about.

I've written the IFOS people to see if any of their tests indicate synthetic triglycerides.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

I got this quick reply from IFOS:

The research in support of either TG or EE fish oils is controversial. At this time this sort of analysis is not included as part of the IFOS Program.

If you want to avoid synthetic triglycerides, you'll have to either contact the manufacturer or use the pointers in Chris Kresser's article and comments.

• Administrator

I gleaned the following recommendations from Kresser's article and the comments:

Kresser recommends:

Jarrow Max DHA

Vital Choice Wild Salmon Oil

Commenters recommend (mostly ethyl esters):

Jarrow “EPA-DHA Balance” (Jarrow tells me this is the ethyl ester form)

These are r-Triacylglycerol (re-esterified Triacylglycerols) or rTAG or structured triacylglycerols (sTAG) (supposedly a good thing):

Omegor Vitality

Ascenta Nutra Sea 2x Concentrated, Ascenta Health Inc

Ascenta Nutra Sea Omega-3, Ascenta Health Inc.

PurePharma Omega-3

Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega

Paradise Omega-3

Jarrow Formulas Max DHA (Jarrow tells me these are natural triglycerides)

Nutri Supreme Research Omega-3

Optimal Health Bridge True Omega-3

EPA/DHA Blend Distributed by George Elvore (IFOS certified on bottle)

Pharmax Ultra EPA/DHA

Ortho Molecular Products Orthomega

Lahana Naturals Omega-3

Quell Products (EPA/DHA, EPA, DHA) Douglas Labs

Molecularly distilled and natural triglycerides:

Nordic Naturals

Quell brands

Pharmax Finest Pure Fish Oil Capsules

Also see the IFOS list of purified products at http://www.ifosprogram.com/consumer-reports.aspx (these are only the companies that pay for IFOS certification, there are others that are purified but do not participate in the IFOS program).

Forgot to mention: Always look for fish oil from wild ocean fish. Anchovies and sardines are fine, they're sustainably harvested.

• Administrator

An interesting comment on Kresser's article http://chriskresser.com/the-definitive-fish-oil-buyers-guide :

Author: PIXE

Comment:

Alto:

Your Trader Joe's molecular distilled Omega-3 Fatty Acids dietary supplement is 60% EPA and DHA as the ethyl esters. My lot 3372 D2 Exp date of 02/2015. You need to be careful of these EE brands because they don't absorb as well as triacyl-sn-glycerol (TAG) formerly referred to as triglyceride. Your Trader Joe's has the same two active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) as the prescription pro-drugs Lovaza and Vascepa. Vascepa only has EPA-Ethyl ester. They must be take with a fatty meal in order for them to be absorbed. This is because the ethyl esters are poor substrates for pancreatic lipases that cut off fatty acyls from positions 1 and 3 from TAG. These lipases operate at the oil-water interface of the emulsions formed in the gut lumen. Also, although small, the metabolite of these EE is ethanol (ethyl alcohol). See the warning labels for Lorvaza and Vascepa.

You are better off taking the Pharmax Ultra EPA/DHA 395 mg EPA and 265 mg DHA per my bottle Lot BN 25435 Exp date 08/2013. The product is made by Seroyal and it is a re-esterified TAG to get you more EPA and DHA (66%) per TAG molecule than natural fish oil which is about 30% EPA=DHA which are the so called "18/12 TAG oils." The Pharmax has more EPA/DHA per capsule than the Trader Joe's in addition to being more bioavalilable. See my web site www.fishoildetective.com

PIXE

• Administrator

More about different forms of fish oil, sent to me by Natural Factors in response to a question about their RxOmega-3 Factors factors fish oil.

(According to the person who responded to my e-mail, "Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Factors are molecularly distilled and are in the Ethyl Ester form. We use anchovy, sardine, and or mackerel wild caught fish.")

Dr. Michael Murray is a naturopath who has published many books on natural medicine and works for Natural Factors http://doctormurray.com/about-dr-murray/

Below is from Dr. Michael Murray regarding fish oils.

Triglyceride vs. Ethyl Ester

A triglyceride consists of a glycerol "backbone" with three 3 fatty acids attached. Fish oils naturally contain triglycerides containing DHA, EPA, and a saturated fat. During the production of all concentrated fish oils through molecular distillation, the fatty acids are liberated into free ethyl ester forms. Some fish oil products are made by synthesizing the free fatty acids back to a triglyceride form while others, including the pharmaceutical forms, maintain the purified oil in the ethyl ester (EE) form. Some companies selling fish oils claim that the triglyceride form is more natural, has better stability, and is better absorbed than the EE form. None of these claims is true. The recombined triglycerides are not necessarily in their natural form, they are not more stable, and they certainly are not better utilized by the body. My personal opinion is that the EE form actually possesses some advantages:

In order for the body to utilize the DHA or EPA in a triglyceride form they must be liberated from the glycerol backbone. The EE form provides an easier to assimilate form for many and is significantly less likely to cause burping up of a fishy smell. Think of the EE form as a pre-digested form of fish oil.

While early absorption studies showed an advantage to the triglyceride form, it turns out the studies were not taking into account the fact that the EE form is processed in a more efficient manner. Very detailed absorption studies have shown that the EE form is actually more bioavailable in that it is more easily processed by the cells that line the intestines and is also more easily incorporated into cell membranes.

Though the triglyceride form is very effective, the EE form may produce even better clinical results. For example, studies looking at the effects of fish oils on reducing factors that promote dangerous blood clots as well in the important effect of lowering triglycerides show some greater benefits with the EE form. In one study, while the EE and triglyceride forms at equal concentrations showed a similar effect on raising blood levels, the EE form showed significant advantages in lowering triglycerides and reducing platelet aggregation than the triglyceride form.

The EE form is backed by considerably more in depth scientific research and it is the form preferred when higher dosages of EPA and DHA are required.

Our own detailed quality control analysis at Natural Factors has shown exceptional stability in soft gelatin capsules and studies have shown feeding humans either pure DHA or EPA EE at a dosage of 4 grams does not increase lipid peroxides or cause oxidative damage.

The bottom line

While there are certain advantages to the EE form, the truth is that both the EE form and the triglyceride form produce great benefit to human health because they both provide EPA and DHA. That is the critical effect that both forms provide. The reasons why these fatty substances are so important revolve around their role in cellular membranes. A diet that is deficient in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA and DHA, results in altered cell membranes. Without a healthy membrane, cells lose their ability to hold water, vital nutrients, and electrolytes. They also lose their ability to communicate with other cells and be controlled by regulating hormones. They simply do not function properly. Cell membrane dysfunction is a critical factor in the development of virtually every chronic disease, especially cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease. Not surprisingly, fish oil supplementation whether as the EE or triglyceride form have shown tremendous beneficial or protective effects against all of these diseases. Again, the majority of this clinical research has been conducted with the EE form.

Practical recommendations

How much fish oil should you take? According to the latest scientific evidence, a daily dosage of 1,000 mg of EPA and DHA (combined) is sufficient to produce significant protection against heart disease and strokes. When there is a therapeutic indication for EPA and DHA such as in elevated triglycerides, rheumatoid arthritis, depression, and asthma the daily dosage is usually 3,000 mg of EPA and DHA. Keep in mind that these dosage recommendations are based upon the level of EPA and DHA versus the amount of fish oil in the capsules or liquid, so you must read the label carefully to make sure you are getting the correct amount....

On 3/14/2011 at 1:29 PM, 'Altostrata' said:

...the two essential omega-3 fatty acids, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) are most available in fish oil. Vegetarian sources of omega-3s provide only ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), a precursor form that the body cannot convert efficiently to the DHA and EPA it needs....

I recommend that anyone who eats no oily fish at least twice a week take an omega-3 fatty acid supplement. The best available of these is fish oil at a dose of 2 to 3 grams per day, but vegans and others whose diets don't include fish can substitute Neuromins DHA, a product which is extracted from carefully grown microalgae (vegans can break the gelatin capsule to get the oil). Taking 400 to 600 mg a day of Neuromins DHA and relying on dietary sources of ALA is probably the best vegan strategy for getting omega-3s. A daily handful of walnuts or one to two tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseed per day provide ALA. I hope we will soon see products made from algae that provide both EPA and DHA....

If you avoid fish oil because you are vegetarian or vegan, you might consider making an exception for a while to get omega-3 fatty acids from the best source available to help your nervous system heal.

I take a vegan DHA/EPA supplement. I'm just wondering if there's anything different about this to the DHA/EPA in fish oil? The vegan supplement is sourced from algae, which as far as I know, is where the fish get their Omega-3 in the first place.

Is it just the amount? Each capsule has 180-210mg of DHA & 90-120mg of EPA.

Here's a link: http://www.devanutrition.com/vegan_dha-epa_high_potency.html

https://www.devanutrition.com/page-1-15.html?lang=en&limit=15&sort_options=b.product_name-ASC

Edited by ChessieCat
updated link

• Administrator

• 3 weeks later...

I could use some advice. I've been gradually moving my omega-3 dose from the evening to the afternoon (2pm - I'd planned to move it to morning) because I thought it may have been affecting my sleep. However, yesterday, the first day I'd taken it at 2pm, I initially felt like I had more energy, but at around 7pm I became really lethargic, fatigued, and had some nerve tingling. The same thing has happened today - I took it at 2pm and at around 7pm I started feeling really fatgued, brain feels like mush, etc.

I have some theories - moving it has disrupted the plasma concentration, the dose is too high, I'm experiencing inter-dose withdrawal from effexor, etc. I'm just not sure what to do about it.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

On Chris Kresser's site, there's a retired chemist who's doing analysis of various fish oils to determine which are (in his opinion) adulterated and which are not.

Here http://chriskresser.com/the-definitive-fish-oil-buyers-guide#comment-50278 he recommends these products for quality and cost-effectiveness:

Vitamin Shoppe Ultimate Gold Omega-3 Fish Oil .... BEST VALUE: Ultimate Gold Omega-3 Fish Oil 735 Epa / 165 Dha (1290 MG) (120 Softgels , $0.25/serving ) which for me would be more cost effective with $0.25 per softgel that supplies 900 mg of EPA+DHA as ethyl esters. This product is very pure [fish oil]

Health from the Sun Omega-3 PFO Pure fish Oil Ultra Potent. My bottle 150806 Exp 11/13 provides 750 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA as ethyl esters in a capsule that weighs 1.76521 g with length 26.17 mm and diameter 10.40 cost me $24.46 for 60 softgels i.e. $0.41 per capsule. [This is incorrect, according to http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=HF-1113#.UaObPutbziE, each capsule contains only 250mg EPA+DHA.]

He also likes

http://chriskresser.com/the-definitive-fish-oil-buyers-guide#comment-50793

Costco Kirkland “Natural Omega-3 Fish Oil 1000 mg” 400 softgels for $5.99 when on sale otherwise $7.49 After $2.50 OFF. This is USP verified for content and purity. Taking two of these per day gives you 600 mg EPA + DHA

http://chriskresser.com/the-definitive-fish-oil-buyers-guide#comment-49744

“Clinical Strength” Pure Alaska Omega-3 EPA DHA ....ethyl esters. ....Each capsule has 356 mg EPA and 144 mg DHA [500 mg EPA+DHA; NOTE: This product Pure Alaska “Clinical Strength” Pure Alaska Omega-3 EPA DHA is sold in the stores. The Costco Web site carries a lesser product.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Fish Oil (and any other kind of oil high in omega 3s) makes me feel very strange, almost drugged.  I was skeptical at first that I could be having such a strong reaction to such a harmless substance, but I've confirmed it several times now.  I take it and then within an hour things become very surreal and then everything goes rapidly downhill.  It's very strange.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible that Omega 3 can help anhedonia? I'm probably going to start taking this soon at a very low dose but I need more research on it. I read this whole thread and I'm kinda nervous I'll react badly, knowing how sensitive I am.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

Theelt,

I am hoping one of the mods here will take a look at your intro and drug history. Am I correct in assuming you are on no drugs at all at this time? I looked at your tapering schedule and to my untrained eyes it looks (looked) pretty steep. You are very young too. In my case, I had to stop the fish oil because the brand I bought has vit D in it and my heart started really palpitating. So I wrote myself a script for fish sticks (yeah, frozen stuff from the grocery is all I can handle cooking right now) just to get a little of it in my diet. There are no magic pills anywhere for the pains we get in our psyche (like anhedonia). Perhaps the absence of strong feelings and desire is our body's only way of coping with the environment in which it must function (drugs, tapering drugs, no drugs) while it stabilizes. Like it is saying 'let's not do anything right now, I can't think straight or handle too much stimulation, I'll be back [with feelings and longings] as soon as I can'.

Good rule of thumb: if you try supplements, do so a little at a time. This may mean a few drops of fish oil, a crumb of this or that and give it time. The most important ingredient in everything is time (and patience).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Fish Oil (and any other kind of oil high in omega 3s) makes me feel very strange, almost drugged. I was skeptical at first that I could be having such a strong reaction to such a harmless substance, but I've confirmed it several times now. I take it and then within an hour things become very surreal and then everything goes rapidly downhill. It's very strange.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a completely harmless substances. On a very small dose of circumin, I had GI bleeding that stopped as soon as I quit taking the item. As a result, I have tried to be very cautious although sometimes, I still need reminders :)
Fish oil is also a blood thinner which may be beneficial to some but cause problems for others, especially in combination with serotonin effects on platelets and vasculature. Just a thought. Disregard if this was addressed already.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing this forum thread, http://antidepressantwithdrawal.info/forum/showthread.php?831-Omega-3

I have decided to try fish oil again. Even though I doubt I will work up to the high end adocated in the thread, I hope by working up very slowly, I can at least take a decent amount that will help the cognitive dysfunction I am currently experiencing due to not being able to so far adjust to pap therapy.

It is a very interesting read by the way even if you have no intention of taking fish oil.

CS

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How about oil? For instance cod liver oil? I googled Nordic Naturals and this seemed pretty ok : DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 625 mg EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 410 mg Other Omega-3s 225 mg Total Omega-3s 1260 mg Oleic Acid (Omega-9) 600 mg

(except for maybe Omega 9)...

so if you take one teaspoon, you get over 1, 000 EPA + DHA, and if you take 2 it's close to what you recommend

Edited by Petunia
fixed text

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

DHA and EPA are the fatty acids to look for.

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly: I was thinking about real fish oil as oppossed to capsules...

Anyway, I'm still studying what should be my next investment when it comes to omega 3 supplement.

I came across a leaflet advertising something called antarctic neptun krill oil which comes from a crab called krill. EPA and DHA acids come in the form of phospholipids rather than tryglicerides which makes for their faster building into cell membranes making them more useable. The substance is made through the process of cold vacuum extraction to preserve all valuable components with the highest levels of EPA, DHA and something called astaxanthins. 

that's what the advert says... what do you think? should I give it a try? I bet it will cost me an arm and a leg but if it is a good thing I'm willing to invest.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Real fish oil is fine. Make sure it has been purified of heavy metals, contaminants, etc.

Krill are the tiny organisms at the bottom of the marine food chain. There's a lot of discussion as to whether krill oil is better than fish oil. Please Google for the discussions and let us know what you find.

• Moderator Emeritus

there is one note from wikipedia; Considering the much higher price for krill oil, the potentially small increase in bioavailability may not be worth it. Until data exists comparing fish oil to krill oil on intermediate markers of risk and actual disease endpoints it will be difficult to say one is better than the other.%5B6%5D

Edited by Petunia
fixed text

• Moderator Emeritus

other sites I have found so far are mostly marketing ones, boasting the selling points.

Even there it seems that the amount of EPA and DHA is too low:

Supplement Facts Serving Size: 2 Licaps™ capsules Servings per Container: 30
% Daily Value
Amt. Per Serving

Calories

Calories from Fat

Total Fat

1 g 1.5%*

Pure Krill Oil

1000 mg **

Phospholipids

400 mg **

Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)

100 mg **

Docosahexaenoic (DHA)

55 mg **

Omega-6 fatty acids

approx. 20 mg **

Astaxanthin

1 mg ** *Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet. **Daily Value not established.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is from the site http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/inflammation/why-krill-oil/

(I also read a forum with people watching Dr. Oz and of course getting very enthusiastic. Those who tried it, report significant reduction in bad cholesterol and increase in the good one... Nobody mentions the impact on the nervous system, as usual...)

Krill oil, like fish oil, contains both of the omega-3 fats eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA), but hooked together in a different form. In fish oil these omega-3 fatty acids are found in the triglyceride form whereas in krill oil they are hooked up in a double chain phospholipid structure. (The fats in our own cell walls are in the phospholipid form.) Attached to the EPA leg of the phospholipid is a molecule of astaxanthin, an extremely potent anti-oxidant. The phospholipid structure of the EPA and DHA in krill oil makes them much more absorbable and allows for a much easier entrance into the mitochondria and the cellular nucleus. In addition to EPA and DHA krill oil contains a complex phospholipid profile including phosphatidylcholine, a potent source of reductive-stress-reducing choline, which also acts as a natural emulsifier.

Krill oil contains vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D and canthaxanthin, which is, like astaxanthin, a potent anti-oxidant. The anti-oxidant potency of krill oil is such that when compared to fish oil in tems of ORAC (Oxygen radical absorptance capacity) values it was found to be 48 times more potent than fish oil.

The astaxanthin found in krill oil provides excellent protection against ultravoilet light and UV-induced skin damage. It was for this reason that I started taking krill oil to begin with–I only discovered its other virtues later on.

A number of studies have shown that krill oil is tremendously effective in reducing LDL-cholesterol, raising HDL-cholesterol, and lowering blood sugar. It has been shown to be effective in treating the pain and inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis and aches and pains in general. One large study showed that krill oil has tremendous benefits in terms of symptom reduction in PMS and dysmenorrhea. And it has been shown to be effective in the treatment of adult ADHD. In all these studies krill oil was tested against fish oil and not simply a placebo.

Due to the rapid absorption of krill oil and the high anti-oxidant content there is virtually never the fishy burping and aftertaste sometimes experienced with fish oil. And there are no other side effects to speak of. The jury is out right now on if and to what degree there is a problem for those people allergic to shrimp. Until the jury is in, I would be careful in taking krill oil if I had a shrimp allergy.

Are there any downsides to this miracle substance? Only one. It is a little more pricey than fish oil, but, as with all things, you get what you pay for. Virtually all krill oil is produced by Neptune Technologies and shipped to the various supplement manufacturers, so any krill oil you get will have come from the same place and be the same dosage. The only unknown is how long it has been sitting around in a warehouse somewhere, which is, of course, the same unkown with fish oil. At least with krill oil, thanks to the high anti-oxidant content, the shelf life is much longer.

One last thing. I neglected to mention in my previous post that popping a couple of fish oil and krill oil caps don’t give the same immediate relief as popping a NSAID. It takes a while–a couple of weeks in my case–for the fish oil/krill oil to provide the same degree of pain relief as the NSAID. So, the take home message is: don’t take your first dose and compare it to the relief you got with a dose of NSAID. If you do, you will not believe the program works and will probably think me an idiot. It takes a while, so give it time. In the study I mentioned in the last post, the subjects took the fish oil for two weeks along with their NSAIDs, then tapered off the drugs and treated their pain with the fish oil alone.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just wanted to report that I felt compelled to give Omega 3's another shot today.  About three hours ago I took a teaspoon of Flax seed oil, now I feel drugged, sluggish and anxious.  There's no mistaking it, these things make me feel slightly mad every time I take them.  Ugh!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

It's just frustrating, Omega 3's seem to be one of the few things that reliably help people during withdrawal and for whatever reason they're activating for me..yet for some reason I keep trying them.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Administrator

If you wish to try a lower dosage, there are products for children you might try.

Here is a quite thorough information on omega-3 and mood http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/Omega-3.htm

It seems that epa must be at least 60%

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

He's summarizing the findings from psychiatry studies, which do not look at any other health benefits of omega-3s (and are highly questionable due to placebo effect and diagnostic vagueness).

If those studies truly find benefits of omega-3s for "psychiatric" symptoms at those low dosages, it's because a dietary deficiency is being slightly relieved. Ordinarily, we get so little omega-3 fatty acids in our diets, and excessive omega-6 vegetable oils, most of us are very much deficient in omega-3s. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/who-needs-omega-3s

We're recommending omega-3s for healing, not just to relieve "psychiatric" symptoms, which is what the studies cited by Dr. Phelps are about. In the rest of medicine, there's no real consensus about EPA vs DHA, or the dosage.

At higher dosages, such as 3,000-4,000mg EPA + DHA, have anti-inflammatory effects, see http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0701/p133.html

Approximately 1 g per day of eicosapentaenoic acid plus docosahexaenoic acid is recommended for cardioprotection. Higher dosages of omega-3 fatty acids are required to reduce elevated triglyceride levels (2 to 4 g per day) and to reduce morning stiffness and the number of tender joints in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (at least 3 g per day). Modest decreases in blood pressure occur with significantly higher dosages of omega-3 fatty acids.

Summary: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/omega3-fatty-acids

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/54/3/438.short (free download)
http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12142955/reload=0;jsessionid=712yMawLE4JAjuF01fz4.50
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11883-004-0087-5
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12296294
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11724453?dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15736910?dopt=Abstract
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/6/S1505.full
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24150614

Since EPA seems to be effective and DHA is much more expensive, you can get the less expensive brands such as Kirkland, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Fish oil capsules contain the omega-3 fatty acids called EPA and DHA. For nervous system support, take 2,000-3,000 mg EPA + DHA a day. You may need to look at the label and add up the amounts of EPA + DHA in a capsule. Usually, this amounts to 4-6 capsules of fish oil per day

Does this mean 2000-3000mg of COMBINED EPA and DHA? Or 2000-3000mg of each?

I presume the first?

The ones I bought are entreric and have 647mg EPA and 253mg DHA for a total of 900mg per capsule. It says 1400mg fish oil concentrate. So once I have tried it for a few days, I should take... 3 capsules to get 2700mg per day, right? I am really, super squeamish when it come to fish taste so I'm hoping I will never know it on these. I took mine with food and have a weird feeling in the back of mouth. It may be in my head tho. I'm really worried about the fishy taste being a problem because it will probably make me sick if it is there at all.

PTSD sufferer with a flare up last year in March with a new traumatization. 
Depression with anxiety caused by the meds I take for depression.

Health anxiety.

Meds:

Wellbutrin SR 20mg mornings, 17.5mg afternoons.
Cetirizine 10mg for allergies

Albuterol as needed for asthma

Ibuprofen some nights for pain (none recently)

VERY rare Ativan (1-2/month at most) for Emergency Panic Attacks
Slipping back into Depression as Wellbutrin is tapered off. 

Went Caffeine-free in the past few months. 

• Administrator

Three capsules should give you a good amount of EPA+DHA, 2700mg, per day.

Good idea to take them with meals.

Generally, I've never had any fishy taste -- usually people who do complain of "fish burps."

They say keeping the fish oil capsules in the freezer eliminates "fish burps."

Fish oil should be refrigerated anyway.

Taking around 3600mg of fish oil is having a positive effect cognitively and isn't worsening my sleep issues so I will stick with it for now. I take two teaspoons of liquid fish oil in the AM that has 1600mg of EPA and 1000 DHA. And later in the date, I take 1000mg of DHA.

I didn't intentionally plan it that way as this resulted from trial and error.

I would imagine that once my pap therapy is optimized that I would need to reduce the dosage since it probably would start feeling too activiating. But right now, it doesn't.

CS

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Very good to hear, cs.

Here's someone's take on the best fish oils, taking into account EPA + DHA content and cost: http://www.leanitup.com/review-the-complete-fish-oil-buyers-guide-26-top-products-reviewed/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

New independent evaluation of 30 fish oil supplements https://labdoor.com/c/fish-oil

I really wonder about this. I just returned a bunch of Nature Made fish oil because it smelled bad and produced fishy burps.

I have had a very interesting experience with fish oil that has turned out to be positive.  It could of course all be coincidence but here goes.

Because I am having outpatient surgery sometime in February and fish oil needs to be discontinued, I had attempted to do so and suffered big time at work after being off it for 4 days.   So I figured I would take the minimum does I could get by with and then try discontinuing again on the weekend.

Because this brand was on sale at Whole Foods, I purchased Omega 3 Factors by Michael Murray expecting little from it.   Took 1 pill.

Well, next day, in spite of my usual bad sleep, I had more energy than usual and a positive attitude.   Since I had a very detailed intensive task at work, took another capsule with good results.

This morning, haven't taken anything and am still feeling energetic.   What is amazing was when I was taking more fish oil of another brand, I felt it was marginal at best.   So who knows what is going on?

I guess my point is if one brand doesn't work, try another just to see what happens.

CS

PS - I am now DCing it again due to having to be off of it before surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been taking NutraSea HP Eco omega 3 spa/dha for the last month in order to help my aching feet joints, and I'm glad to see that it will also help with withdrawal symptoms. I have been told that it takes 4-6 weeks to kick in for the joint pain, but I think it's starting to help. 

I'm taking soft gels, but I might try the liquid next time if I can remember the dosage info…Oh yeah, it's supposed to help with memory too, but I'm not sure I remember... ;)

Bounced between Cipralex, Wellbrutrin, Cymbalta, and Pristiq. Went Cold Turkey from Pristiq Jan 10 2014. Happily living to tell the tale!!!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy