SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto, it was a new bottle, still sealed, well within the expiry date.

I'm ok again now, the reaction lasted about 36 hours.... me and fish oil don't get along, I'm just going have to accept it.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello,

I've been wondering if it's worth continuing to take fish oil when I don't see any evidence it has helped my mental health or withdrawal? I have improved but pretty sure it was not due to fish oil as it coincided with reaching a lower dose.

Do we take it because we assume it's helping even if we don't see obvious improvement that we can attribute to it?

Thanks!

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

• Administrator

Fish oil is good for you in general. Next time you get tests from the doctor, ask for an omega-3 test, too. If your omega-3 level is good, you could reduce your dosage.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm ok again now, the reaction lasted about 36 hours.... me and fish oil don't get along, I'm just going have to accept it.

Hi, Petunia.  Sorry to hear that you had that kind of reaction.  So strange but there's no accounting for how different things affect different people.

Have you tried good old fashioned cold water fish?  I'm wondering if you have an adverse reaction to Omega 3 in the native form.  If you are good with that you can do it the old-fashioned way -- I have sardines pretty regularly as well as salmon.

Just some thoughts.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Administrator

Newbeginning, once your omega-3 level is topped up, you may not feel the effect of taking fish oil. It's still good for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

That's good to know Alto. I was hoping to see an effect on my mood or on the apathy from the SSRIs, but that didn't happen. I also noticed I respond less to supplements and meds since I started experiencing the apathy (it's as if the apathy cancels out any stimulating effect from other stuff). I still get the ugly activating effects of stimulants, but not the mood enhancing effects. And for non-activating mood enhancers like fish oil, I don't get the mood enhancing effects.

I will give it another try when the apathy improves again. If it still doesn't work I might reduce the dose until I test the levels.

Thanks for the useful information :)

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

• Administrator

Fish oil can be very helpful, but it may not work for that particular symptom.

So, for future reference, what do others find it most useful for? Is it more of a relaxing effect like magnesium or an activating effect? (I know this varies by person, but I was wondering in general what is most useful for).

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if I'm imagining this but normal fish oil increases my anxiety but krill oil does not. I have tried it a few times so do not think its coincidence.

My first thought was food chain.  In general, the higher up the food chain a fish is, the more concentrated are the toxins, such as mercury, radiation, etc.  A tiny little fish like a krill would be very low on the food chain, and very pure.  Additionally, if you eat fish, smaller fish like sardines, herring are preferred to larger ones, like salmon and cod.

then I read this:

I have been taking krill oil for nearly 6 months and have only just noticed that it only has 36 mg of epa. It wasn't cheap either at £9.99 for 30. Just shows I should have read the label!

Oh.  Well.  That could be a major difference.  HOWEVER, even though it is a very small dose, the claims are (I know, everyone makes amazing claims for their products) that the krill is more easily digested and bioavailable. 

I take a mixture of both fish and krill.  I think of it like when I am very hungry - I need protein, but if I have that protein with fat and sweet potato, it will step me up until the protein kicks in.  Likewise, the krill is more easily digested, and may have quicker uptake than the fish oil.

I got my OmegaQuant done.  It wasn't quite revelatory (you warned me about that, Alto!), but it was useful.

here's what it looked like:

OmegaQuant%20Sep%202015_zpsjdlkui9e.jpg

What this tells me is that I'm getting enough Omega 3, but that my ratio to 6 is still high.  

I'm less smart about the Arachidonic Acid: EPA ratio, but I reckon I still eat too much junk food in crackers and chips and even nuts.  My husband got a very similar rating, so it is something in our shared diet - most likely red meat.  When he had his stroke, and then cancer, I kept trying to steer our meals away from red meat (or at least to grass fed, or kangaroo, which is higher in Omega 3's), but he kept insisting on more steak, more lamb, more red meat.

He didn't take the Omega Quant very seriously, but it is a clear indicator to me that there are still some foods that need to be reduced:  red meats, carbs, and oils.  He eats more fish than I do, I eat more nuts than he does - and yet our ratios are very close to the same.  SO while it doesn't indicate that I'm getting "too much" Omega 3, I am still getting too much Omega 6.  My trend is going to be to continue the high dose Omega 3, and work on the diet some more.

I found the report to be helpful, and not too expensive at $49.  I only saved $5 shipping to do it while in the USA - worldwide shipping of the kit is $10, while domestic it is $5.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

princess - The flip side of that is that none of the absorbancy claims are proven.  It is more expensive.  You have to go by how you feel.  That's another reason I mix it with fish oil - sort of a shotgun approach, but it optimizes my "bang per buck."

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Yes, you are spot on. It's all about our own individual experience, not necessarily what the package says. As a matter of interest a friend was telling me that she takes Emu Oil as she believes it has even higher amounts of Omega 3 than krill oil. That is news to me but I must look in to it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Emu oil does have Omega 3, and apparently some anti-inflammatory properties as well.  I know nothing about the absorption of it, but the emu people here swear by it.

• Administrator

When our meat animals were permitted to graze naturally grown grass, meat was higher in omega-3 fatty acids. That our meat animal now are mostly grain-fed in pens is a major reason the modern diet is lacking in omega-3 fatty acids.

Emus must be free-range, or are there emu farms where they're fed grain? (For some reason, I can't imagine this.)

Do you take emu oil by the spoonful, or can you use the skin cream?

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting Emu oil info.  I am going to have to do a walk by this place where there used to be an Emu farm........I hope they are still there.

Yes, tell us more.

On the Omega 6.......that is interesting too.  I always thought that indiscriminately adding Omega 6 helped somehow.............with absorption or balance of fatty acids.  Does it?  In the correct ratio as shown in the test result?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Almost all of us get far too much omega-6 fatty acids in our diet, from vegetable oils. The healthy level is supposed to be a small fraction of the omega-3 level.

• Moderator Emeritus

When our meat animals were permitted to graze naturally grown grass, meat was higher in omega-3 fatty acids. That our meat animal now are mostly grain-fed in pens is a major reason the modern diet is lacking in omega-3 fatty acids.

Emus must be free-range, or are there emu farms where they're fed grain? (For some reason, I can't imagine this.)

Do you take emu oil by the spoonful, or can you use the skin cream?

Well, topically it is touted as an arthritis cure-all here.  But when I was talking to a chemist about using it topically for pain and anti-inflammatory properties, the chemist informed me that the cell size of emu oil is too large to penetrate the skin.  This leads me to believe that topical use is completely worthless, other than for making your skin soft (emolliant).

I do think they are a free-range animal.  They aren't quite as docile (hah, as if) as an ostrich, though at the zoo they have troughs for feeding.  It is this free-range nature that makes kangaroo meat (grass fed) one of the finest meats at table and for health.

Manymore - I'll be curious to hear what you find at your emu farm.  My nearest one is about an hour away, I've never been there.

I ve been taking fish oil and oil of evening primrose daily for decades. 40 months off paxil and still suffering symptoms and all kinds of sensitivities. Propose to stop all supplements. Has anyone had problems stopping ?

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Administrator

You should keep notes on paper about symptoms relative to when you take your drugs and supplements, to see if fish oil and primrose oil are causing reactions.

If you take them at the same time as other drugs and supplements, take them at a different time. For example, take fish oil 2 hours later than the other supplements to isolate its effects and see what happens. If nothing, it's not the fish oil.

Then separate the primrose oil, etc.

I have a question regarding Fish Oil pills. I took one about a month ago at night, and within 2 hours I had pretty bad gas and an upset stomach. Not sure if it was the Fish Oil or something else, cause my dinner wasn't really anything out of the ordinary for me. I was on maybe month 2 or 3 of withdrawal from Paxil so I don't know if it was related or not.

I'd like to try the pills again, they're 1,200mg each, and I had only taken one. I was interested in the benefits of Magnesium as well, but I believe my multivitamin contains it so I should be good on that front.

JSC7,

I always get digestive symptoms with fish oil caps, regardless of the brand. I've done better with the liquid. It's something you might want to try. Carlsons has a good liquid fish oil (high EPA and DHA content and good quality safe product).

Good luck,

NB

2 days off the fish oil. Woke up with body burning and palps at 1am. Much worse at 4am. Got up took the fish oil capsule with toast and tea. Waiting to see if I settle down. Obviously my body is habituated /addicted to the fish oil and or evening primrose. I d been off fish two days and milder reaction yesterday worse today. Capsule only 500mg and EP was 1000 mg. Am ridiculously sensitive. 40 months off. Most of it bad. Can't go through acute again. Any advice ?

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Administrator

Perhaps the fish oil and evening primrose oil are doing something good for you. I don't understand why you want to go off them.

Please forgive me if this question seems somewhat ignorant, but you recommended taking 400 IU of vitamin E to help metabolize the omega 3 fatty acids - however that's something like 1000% of recommended value.  Considering that vitamin E is a fat soluable vitamin, and therefore builds up in the liver, rather than getting excreted like B vitamins, wouldn't a daily consumption of 1000% lead to potential vitamin E toxicity, if they're being taken simultaneously with fish oils each day?  With a sensitized nervous system, isn't that potentially problematic?

• Administrator

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02813/facts-about-vitamin-e

Dr. Weil recommends supplementing with vitamin E that provides a minimum daily dose of 80 mg of the whole complex, including mixed tocopherols and mixed tocotrienols. It should provide at least 10 mg of tocotrienols. If you can't find that, look for a product with mixed natural tocopherols (400 to 800 IU daily). Avoid dl-alpha-tocopherol, the synthetic form.

I had posted here before that the fish oil I was taking made me very itchy and went away after I stopped taking it. I had salmon last night at dinner, and guess who woke up with itching all over the chest and arms? Sad because I love salmon. Looking for a vegan source of omega 3's now.

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

2009 - Started Effexor XR 75mg. Consistent therapy starting Oct 2013

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

• Administrator

Might be a good idea for you to stay away from fish oil for a very long time.

Has anyone tried Lovaza? Each one-gram capsule of Lovaza contains 465 mg of EPA and 375 mg of DHA. It's a prescription based Omega-3 so I thought I would try it and hope that it's less expensive since I have insurance. I also have high triglycerides and thought it might help.

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

Might be a good idea for you to stay away from fish oil for a very long time.

For sure. I ordered this last night - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LL7AXE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I had that itchy burning feeling from a low quality omega 3 fatty acid supplement.  I've been taking one of the highest quality ones available, with no ill effects:   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFP82PA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I read another post somewhere on either this thread or another about Norwegian Gold as being one of the top 2 omega 3 supplements not available via prescription.  For those of us low on funds the prescription route is a good idea - I didn't even realize that was an option.

On another note, my doctor "prescribed" D3 supplements, but all that meant was that the local CVS pharmacy went into the supplement Isle, opened up a bottle, and poured them into their own prescription bottle.  Source:  I talked to the pharm tech who was preparing my "prescription".  She then insisted that I purchase the same exact thing for buy 1 get 2, so I did that, got 100 pills for $15.

I wonder if they also do this sort of thing with omega 3 "prescriptions" or not?

• 4 weeks later...

I am using this brand. I have just bee taking one a day but it seems to be helping. Thinking about starting 2 a day.

EPA 625mg per capsule

DHA 244mg per capsule

http://ww.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/one-per-day-fish-oil-1360-mg-032948?

AD History
Zoloft (Sertraline) 4/07 - 7/09, Celexa (Citalopram) 7/09 - 10/09 , Zoloft (Sertraline) 11/09 - 4/10 , Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) 5/10 - 4/15 , Effexor (venlafaxine) 5/15 (2 week taper)

Taper 
05/2015 - Effexor (venlafaxine) 75mg  7 days, Effexor (venlafaxine) 37.5mg 7 days.

Reinstatement  Effexor (venlafaxine)
05/21/2016 37.5mg 06/01/2016 18.75mg

I bought some fish oil today and it says on the label that one pill contains 1000 mg salmon oil , 180 mg EPA and 120 DHA .

How many pills should I take to get the 2000 mg recommanded here ?

2,000-3,000 mg EPA + DHA

So between 10 and 15 pills per day for your brand.

I take this brand here, so I only need to take 3-4 pills a day to get my required doses.  I strongly recommend this brand, I've read it's one of the highest quality fish oil supplements on the market.  Each pill contains about 800 mg of EPA+DHA. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FXX3LY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002AQYAXU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PQ6KFBAM5XVEPEPCCCG

It's a bit pricey.  I would estimate that it costs about $40 per month using this brand at 3-4 pills a day - but if it's helping me, that's not a very large price.

Thank you so much .

Another question : if it's mentioned on the label that the capsules contain B vitamins in them , are those vitamins natrually contained in the fish oil or does that mean that the fish oil is combined with other supplements ? Because I read that many people in WD are hypersensitive to vitamin B supplements and I wanna avoid any possible bad reaction .

And also , each capsule contains 1.4 mg omega  vs 300 mg omega 3 is that a healthy ratio ? 

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018

I bought some fish oil today and it says on the label that one pill contains 1000 mg salmon oil , 180 mg EPA and 120 DHA .

How many pills should I take to get the 2000 mg recommanded here ?

2,000-3,000 mg EPA + DHA

So between 10 and 15 pills per day for your brand.

I take this brand here, so I only need to take 3-4 pills a day to get my required doses.  I strongly recommend this brand, I've read it's one of the highest quality fish oil supplements on the market.  Each pill contains about 800 mg of EPA+DHA. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FXX3LY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002AQYAXU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PQ6KFBAM5XVEPEPCCCG

It's a bit pricey.  I would estimate that it costs about $40 per month using this brand at 3-4 pills a day - but if it's helping me, that's not a very large price.

Thank you so much .

Another question : if it's mentioned on the label that the capsules contain B vitamins in them , are those vitamins natrually contained in the fish oil or does that mean that the fish oil is combined with other supplements ? Because I read that many people in WD are hypersensitive to vitamin B supplements and I wanna avoid any possible bad reaction .

And also , each capsule contains 1.4 mg omega  vs 300 mg omega 3 is that a healthy ratio ? 

B vitamins are water soluble, so it's not very likely that they occur naturally with fish oil (a lipid).

I made a mistake in your previous post, your pills contain 300 total omega 3's so it would be 7-10 pills - not 10-15.  Sorry about that.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great short video on the benefits of Omega 3 in depression.  Very compelling.

http://www.empowher.com/heart-disease/content/heart-disease-how-does-omega-3-fatty-acid-intake-affect-capt-hibbeln-md

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

I am using this brand. I have just bee taking one a day but it seems to be helping. Thinking about starting 2 a day.

EPA 625mg per capsule

DHA 244mg per capsule

http://ww.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/one-per-day-fish-oil-1360-mg-032948?

I started taking the capsule in the evening with dinner and unless it is coincidence it seems to be helping me sleep better. 

AD History
Zoloft (Sertraline) 4/07 - 7/09, Celexa (Citalopram) 7/09 - 10/09 , Zoloft (Sertraline) 11/09 - 4/10 , Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) 5/10 - 4/15 , Effexor (venlafaxine) 5/15 (2 week taper)

Taper 
05/2015 - Effexor (venlafaxine) 75mg  7 days, Effexor (venlafaxine) 37.5mg 7 days.

• 2 weeks later...

EPA 625mg per capsule

DHA 244mg per capsule

In doing some research I understand triglyceride form is better than ethyl ester and that ethyl ester may even be bad for me? I'm wondering how would I tell? Do they have to list that on the bottle? I quoted my post of what I am using. I wondering if I should switch to something that states is a triglyceride formula?

AD History

Taper 

I just looked at the label close and it is listed as Ester Omega™ Fish Oil. I wonder should i get something else? Comments?

AD History

Taper 

I am so impatient............. I ended up ordering Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega® 2x it is a triglyceride-form omega oil and is IFOS certified. Plus it has higher DHA than my current which I believe to be good for anxiety.

each soft-gel contains 

EPA 562mg

DHA 438mg

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1739

AD History

Taper 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy