SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Day of Action to Stop Mental Health Profiling

UnfoldingSky

https://www.facebook.com/events/413065465440858/id_50f8dac726e4b1700264408

Day of Action to Stop Mental Health Profiling 1/21/13 MLK Day

Public · By Occupy Psychiatry

[When]

Monday, January 21, 2013

[Where]

Everywhere

[Description]

*To protest the scapegoating of people labeled with mental illness by politicians, media, gun control advocates and the pro-gun lobby

:In particular to protest the "NY SAFE Act" pushed through NY's legislature and signed by Gov Cuomo, which expands state and federal criminal databases of people labeled as mentally ill, unconnected to any actual crime or act of violence, and expanded outpatient commitment (forced drugging in the community)

:To protest any discriminatory proposals coming out of Vice President Biden's Task Force

*To invoke our connection to Martin Luther King Jr. and the values and traditions of nonviolence:

:We are a nonviolent community

:Many of us have been traumatized by violence and do all we can to stop it

:We are being labeled and profiled wrongly as violent, because of the actions of a few individuals

:Forced psychiatry is violent

:The new laws being enacted - in NY and likely at the federal level and in other states - will further restrict our civil liberties and constitutional rights

:We are protesting nonviolently for our civil and human rights

*To affirm and celebrate our "creative maladjustment" to a society that pits neighbor against neighbor with a duty to report thoughtcrimes and eccentricities to the state

("Creative Maladjustment" comes from several of King's speeches, including a 1967 speech of King to the American Psychological Association where he called for an International Association to Advance Creative Maladjustment, see http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/53556. David Oaks and MindFreedom International have taken up this call as part of the Mad Pride movement, http://www.mindfreedom.org/kb/mental-health-global/iaacm. We honor David and wish him well in his recovery from serious injuries and surgery.)

more info at about link...

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

At least I am not so blind to the reality as I once was -- if anything good has come of this, that be it.

I do have a question:

How can the governor of New York expand a federal database? The legislature and executive of a state can't enact laws with which the other states or the national govt must comply, so far as I understand the law. The protestors' opening betrays a misunderstanding of process or, more likely, unnecessary pulp which turns me off. And why are the called Occupy Psychiatry? I think Wall Street Bankers came out of the Occupy Wall Street thing with an improved reputation due to the ineptitude of that crowd -- which was mathematically almost impossible yet still seemed to happen. If reasonable folks conclude Wall Street Bankers look the better alternative, your movement is a failure. Wall Street Bankers, for Pete's Sake!!!

The word 'Occupy' should probably be retired from consideration when naming an advocacy group, IMO. Associate your group with something that has succeeded for Pete's Sake! Everyone with eyes can see that Wall Street survived the occupation. Come on, Marketing 101, people!!

My thought on the matter:

The true problem, as far as I have observed, isn't that dangerously disconnected and demented human beings don't exist at all. There are hundreds of millions of folks just in America and a lot of diversity. Some of US are going to be serial killers, arsonists, psychopaths ... mentally ill. Leaving aside definitions, I don't deny that people suffer from distortions of reality, that we don't understand all the causes. The big secret, that Mr. Cuomo and all these jokers are clueless of, is it's not possible to tell who's dissociative state is iatrogenic and who has a brain tumor or whatever.

Once personal health choices are determined by the state or an expert the risk increases that the 'sick' person will be required to take toxic drugs which besides causing illness actually, as evidence suggests, will raise the chance that the person does do something maniacal or demented.

I'd be happy to support the cause. I'd like to see the cause be effective though. Gotta start somewhere, I guess.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

At least I am not so blind to the reality as I once was -- if anything good has come of this, that be it.

I do have a question:

How can the governor of New York expand a federal database? The legislature and executive of a state can't enact laws with which the other states or the national govt must comply, so far as I understand the law. The protestors' opening betrays a misunderstanding of process or, more likely, unnecessary pulp which turns me off. And why are the called Occupy Psychiatry? I think Wall Street Bankers came out of the Occupy Wall Street thing with an improved reputation due to the ineptitude of that crowd -- which was mathematically almost impossible yet still seemed to happen. If reasonable folks conclude Wall Street Bankers look the better alternative, your movement is a failure. Wall Street Bankers, for Pete's Sake!!!

The word 'Occupy' should probably be retired from consideration when naming an advocacy group, IMO. Associate your group with something that has succeeded for Pete's Sake! Everyone with eyes can see that Wall Street survived the occupation. Come on, Marketing 101, people!!

My thought on the matter:

The true problem, as far as I have observed, isn't that dangerously disconnected and demented human beings don't exist at all. There are hundreds of millions of folks just in America and a lot of diversity. Some of US are going to be serial killers, arsonists, psychopaths ... mentally ill. Leaving aside definitions, I don't deny that people suffer from distortions of reality, that we don't understand all the causes. The big secret, that Mr. Cuomo and all these jokers are clueless of, is it's not possible to tell who's dissociative state is iatrogenic and who has a brain tumor or whatever.

Once personal health choices are determined by the state or an expert the risk increases that the 'sick' person will be required to take toxic drugs which besides causing illness actually, as evidence suggests, will raise the chance that the person does do something maniacal or demented.

I'd be happy to support the cause. I'd like to see the cause be effective though. Gotta start somewhere, I guess.

Hi Alex,

Since my comprehension isn't working this morning, I am not going to address the points you made. But as an FYI, Paul Applebaum, a psychiatrist, did an interview on NRP, and was very concerned about the bill violating patient confidentiality since it would put healthcare providers of having to report patients who might become violent. Sorry, I can't find the link.

If I were in NY, h-ll would freeze over before I did psychotherapy. Heck, I think I would be worried about confidentially no matter where I sought it.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Yes, I don't know the specifics but it seems like a bit of noise that will, in most instances, be impossible to implement. Most psychologists and shrinks tout confidentiality and their business is based on it.

Who would go to see a therapist or shrink if they have to register as a mental patient? It would kill the industry. The industry has pretty effective lobbyists so I suspect in practice the profiling effort will have about the same effect as the president's 08 campaign pledge to close the Gitmo holding prison. Some laws are political statements and some are actual laws.

Or, if I'm wrong, then this may end up being a good thing -- This law would have saved my life. I never would have went to a therapist if I'd known there was a chance I'd end up in some mental health database.

Unintended consequences can be good, too.

- Zimmerman

Yes, I don't know the specifics but it seems like a bit of noise that will, in most instances, be impossible to implement. Most psychologists and shrinks tout confidentiality and their business is based on it.

Who would go to see a therapist or shrink if they have to register as a mental patient? It would kill the industry. The industry has pretty effective lobbyists so I suspect in practice the profiling effort will have about the same effect as the president's 08 campaign pledge to close the Gitmo holding prison. Some laws are political statements and some are actual laws.

Or, if I'm wrong, then this may end up being a good thing -- This law would have saved my life. I never would have went to a therapist if I'd known there was a chance I'd end up in some mental health database.

Unintended consequences can be good, too.

Hi Alex,

You make some good points but I do worry about therapists who are worried about getting sued and to be cautious, will report a patient who says something that might be misinterpreted as a threat.

They do tout confidentiality but then if I remember correctly, there is a section about when it would be broken. Pay careful attention boys and girls to the fine print. It may save your life.

CS

I'll keep my eye on it, maybe the thing will backfire.

I don't want to get more cynical about the whole thing but I'm sure Gov. Cuomo is aware that there is a vacancy coming up in 2016 and signing some anti-gun measures will be advantageous to him with his left flank and during the primaries.

I actually think it's sort of a brilliant idea and I sort of support it. Everyone who takes mental health medications needs to register in the FBIs National Database of the Mentally Ill. It'd take a year or two, or five knowing the efficiency of beaucracy, so plenty of time to taper to nil.

My statement was sincere. If such a thing existed 15 years ago, I'd have lived a very different life.

- Zimmerman

I'll keep my eye on it, maybe the thing will backfire.

I don't want to get more cynical about the whole thing but I'm sure Gov. Cuomo is aware that there is a vacancy coming up in 2016 and signing some anti-gun measures will be advantageous to him with his left flank and during the primaries.

I actually think it's sort of a brilliant idea and I sort of support it. Everyone who takes mental health medications needs to register in the FBIs National Database of the Mentally Ill. It'd take a year or two, or five knowing the efficiency of beaucracy, so plenty of time to taper to nil.

My statement was sincere. If such a thing existed 15 years ago, I'd have lived a very different life.

Hi Alex,

I never doubt what you say.

Well, without the internet, I might not have been aware of the database if it existed. So I can't honestly say my life would be different.

By the way, a relative asked if I would seek treatment knowing there would be a database. I said no.

She seemed surprised even though on one level, she seems to understand why this not a good idea.

CS