NJ bites the dust

compsports

Holy Moly, the person on Democratic Underground who compared the treatment of Muslims after 9-11 to the current treatment of people with mental illness is right on target. I just read about this proposed mental health involuntary commitment law in NJ and I am find this extremely frightening.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/01/christie_says_hes_committed_to.html

"Earlier this week, it wasn't clear when the Christie administration would roll out the "involuntary outpatient commitment" law, which gives judges discretion to demand people take medication and go to therapy if they pose a danger to themselves or others in the "foreseeable future." If they fail to comply, they can be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital. "

How are you going to determine who is a feasible threat? And god forbid if you become suicidal as I did from Prozac several years ago, your treatment will be more meds since most psychiatrists don't think that ADs cause suicidal ideation.

Oh my god, I find this frightening.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

As someone who's experienced the utterly dehumanizing horror of involuntary commitment, I too find this nightmarish. Is my name in one of these databases somewhere?

And of course, the one commenter who brings up the role of psych drugs in these shootings immediately invokes Hitler, vaccinations, population culling. Way to kill the credibility.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

As someone who's experienced the utterly dehumanizing horror of involuntary commitment, I too find this nightmarish. Is my name in one of these databases somewhere?

And of course, the one commenter who brings up the role of psych drugs in these shootings immediately invokes Hitler, vaccinations, population culling. Way to kill the credibility.

Sparrow

Oh my god Sparrow, I didn't know that. How frightening.

Yeah, I noticed most of the commentators liked the bill.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy