SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tightness in chest

Francis

Hi all- one of my main anxiety symptoms is trembling and/or tightness in my chest. It seems to be helped somewhat by magnesium.

What causes this feeling? It seems this is a pretty common feeling people have.

Thanks for any explanations!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• Administrator

Francis, we have a lot of symptoms that seem to be caused by overstimulation of the vagus nerve in the front of the chest. It controls many autonomic functions.

Magnesium, "nature's calcium channel blocker," helps to calm the nerve transmissions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 10 years later...

Anyone is experiencing tight torso back and rib or jerks squeezing of these muscles?

Did anybody have any improvements?

In my case it seems to fluctuate during the day. It is a little milder in comparison to say 5 months ago but it does still get worse at times depending on activity level, temperature or foods that I eat.

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• Altostrata changed the title to Tightness in chest

@Giuly88

Yes, I get this. Similarly, mine cycles throughout my body. It has improved over the course of many months and is not as intense or frequent as it was. I get patterns where it will tighten and get aggravated by walking, or even just running up the stairs quickly. Mine is not affected by foods or temperature and will sometimes just tighten for no reason. Slow repairs over here. How long have you had it?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23 0.25mg - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate, vitamin D

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

8 hours ago, LotusRising said:

@Giuly88

Yes, I get this. Similarly, mine cycles throughout my body. It has improved over the course of many months and is not as intense or frequent as it was. I get patterns where it will tighten and get aggravated by walking, or even just running up the stairs quickly. Mine is not affected by foods or temperature and will sometimes just tighten for no reason. Slow repairs over here. How long have you had it?

Thank you Lotusrising for replying.

Glad to hear yours has improved. Hopefully it will disappear soon for all of us who suffer from it.

Much love and healing vibes

Giuly88 ❤️

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

8 hours ago, LotusRising said:

@Giuly88

I stopped escitalopram in February and this symptoms started in May so it is 6 months now. 

When did it start it for you?

32 minutes ago, Giuly88 said:

I stopped escitalopram in February and this symptoms started in May so it is 6 months now. 

Thing is my muscles also tighten if I stand still and I also have a jittery feeling all the time as if muscles have to move constantly either in the form of a contra action/tightening or as shaking/vibrating/trembling.

My torso/abdomen jerks too in a circular manner or sometimes clenches when lying down on my back.

When I breathe I can feel a constriction feeling as if there is not enough room/space to take a deep fulfilling breath, it is awful.

Did you experience any of these above symptoms, variations in muscle movements?

Thank you Lotus ❤️ (sorry for my multiple replies, I can’t concentrate effectively enough so to incorporate all the information  without forgetting bits of it 🤦🏽‍♀️).

Giuly88

6 hours ago, Giuly88 said:

I've had these symptoms for just over 2 years, but I was very destabilized when I started tapering and never really gained any solid ground. My muscle symptoms started in my chest and then moved to my abdomen and extremities, then up into my head. They cycle constantly, sometimes throughout the day, but sometimes will be in just one area of my body on/off throughout the day. Thankfully, I have windows now where I feel nothing :) 

When I breathe I can feel a constriction feeling as if there is not enough room/space to take a deep fulfilling breath, it is awful.

Yes, this is one of my worst symptoms and many describe it as "air hunger". It's like the brain, muscles and nerves don't communicate effectively. I know I'm getting enough oxygen, but the sensation of not being to take a deep breath is awful, I agree. This has slowly improved for me. 

shaking/vibrating/trembling.

Yes, vibrating/trembling! It used to be much worse for me, and it felt like energy or electricity going down my arms and legs. I rarely get this now.

My torso/abdomen jerks too in a circular manner or sometimes clenches when lying down on my back.

Yes, similar. Mine just happens, unrelated to movement or anything. It feels like a very deep pressure in my abdomen, much like other areas. It moves around and used to affect my ability to eat. Sometimes though, it feels like my digestion stops for a while, with the sensation of pressure, and then will all of a sudden let go, if that makes sense. And if I eat a little too much it will irritate the nerves in my abdomen and the muscles reflexively tighten. It's all very weird. 

I can't stress enough how much this has improved for me over the months though. Unfortunately, I haven't really found anything that really helps with this. I know magnesium is mentioned above, but I didn't notice anything while taking it. Time seems to be the only factor for improvement. Sometimes heat or putting pressure manually in an area beside it will help temporarily, but mostly, I just wait for it to pass and try to distract myself.

I think you'll find that this will slowly get better over time, if you haven't already noticed improvement.

Please reach out anytime! 💖

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

Thank you Lotusrising for this excellent feedback and description.

You have given me solid hope. Bizarrely enough, like most of us on this forum and beyond, I never needed any drug, no anxiety or depression and actually I don’t even agree these so called ‘mental illnesses’ exist at all and certainly not as ‘clinical conditions to be medically treated’.
With me it was stress and overwhelm due to work, children and just life.

As we have all sadly found out, these mental med aka poisons are affecting us mentally as well as disabling us physically at a neuromuscular level and of course they do affects us physically because they target the CNS and so how could the medical establishment not recognise the interwoven brain-body connection?

Clearly, doctors have no idea what these poisons do, they also refuse to help, they gaslight patients, do not acknowledge withdrawal, therefore should not be allowed to prescribe them.

it is an absolute legalised crime against humanity, change will come and I know that here in England, as far as I’m concerned, I will be campaigning for these medications to be abolished and raise awareness about the necessity of educating about micro-tapering.

I still struggle to come to terms with what has happened to me and of course all of us innocent souls.

Sorry about my rant. Thank you so much for comparing notes.

This torso symptoms are my worst nightmare and is made particularly severe because are located on the core where everything happens namely heartbeat, breathing, digestion you name it.

Healing vibes to both of us ❤️

Hi Lotus, 

Do you get muscles tightening when standing or sitting still, in a relaxing still position where you think you are letting your muscles go but then instead they tighten up and are very painful? 

It seems as if the muscular control works against, in reverse, as if the more I want to stay still and relaxed the more muscles want to move, either by tightening, pulling or even twisting.

I can see you are from Alberta, Canada. I lived in Vancouver for 3 months in the very distant 2001. Loved the suspension bridges, the skytrain, the pacific centre shopping mall and the Bookshop ‘Chapter’ where you could just read for free and savour a cuppa 😊

HI @Giuly88

56 minutes ago, Giuly88 said:

Do you get muscles tightening when standing or sitting still, in a relaxing still position where you think you are letting your muscles go but then instead they tighten up and are very painful? 

Yes, this is exactly what happens. It's not something I have any control over, no matter how relaxed I try to make my body. I lived in the bath tub when it was at its worst and used a heating pad ALL the time. It is less painful for me at this point though, thankfully. I've spent a great deal of money over the last 6 months on massage and physio to help with this. Have you considered, or used any alternative therapies yet?

59 minutes ago, Giuly88 said:

I can see you are from Alberta, Canada. I lived in Vancouver for 3 months in the very distant 2001. Loved the suspension bridges, the skytrain, the pacific centre shopping mall and the Bookshop ‘Chapter’ where you could just read for free and savour a cuppa

Yep, I'm right next door to BC, though our weather here in Alberta is sunnier, although much drier and brown this time of year. Waiting for another snowfall to make things feel more "Christmasy" :) Chapters is great! They're everywhere here.

59 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

HI @Giuly88

Yes, this is exactly what happens. It's not something I have any control over, no matter how relaxed I try to make my body. I lived in the bath tub when it was at its worst and used a heating pad ALL the time. It is less painful for me at this point though, thankfully. I've spent a great deal of money over the last 6 months on massage and physio to help with this. Have you considered, or used any alternative therapies yet?

Yep, I'm right next door to BC, though our weather here in Alberta is sunnier, although much drier and brown this time of year. Waiting for another snowfall to make things feel more "Christmasy" :) Chapters is great! They're everywhere here.

Please to hear things have improved. For me over the last couple of weeks and then even more over the last couple of days I can see that my torso doesn’t distend as much as it used too in that the bloatiness of my abdomen resulting from the involuntary tightening is less pronounced if it makes sense.

I have been having moments where I felt that muscles let up but then as soon as I feel any emotion, excitement or just everyday life energy then muscles react straight away to any stimulus, triggers. Really weird never ever in my life did I experience this.

Could you suggest any exercises that I could do for this? I have an appointment with physio next week but all they have suggested so far is breathing exercises.

Do you think maybe strengths exercises could better than stretching because I have realised sometimes stretching actually makes it worse? As I have researched, tight muscles can also be weak and therefore may necessitate strengthening?

Canada is beautiful. I remembered going to eat perogies at the Russian restaurants and getting my favourite custard fruit tart in Vancouver Island at the market 😋.

My then boyfriend used to teach skiing nearby Vancouver but I cannot recalls the place now 🫢🤦🏽‍♀️

9 hours ago, Giuly88 said:

For me over the last couple of weeks and then even more over the last couple of days I can see that my torso doesn’t distend as much as it used too in that the bloatiness of my abdomen resulting from the involuntary tightening is less pronounced if it makes sense.

Excellent, sounds like progress to me :) 

muscles react straight away to any stimulus, triggers

Yes, this still happens to me in my abdominal muscles. Sometimes if I eat just a little too much, it irritates the nerves and they reflexively tighten those muscles. Super frustrating. The CNS takes so long to repair, but I guess it is less and less sensitive over time.

Could you suggest any exercises that I could do for this? I have an appointment with physio next week but all they have suggested so far is breathing exercises.

Physio starts very slow, but in my experience this is a good thing. Mine has been slowly adding more strengthening as I go. I know it's very minor stuff at the beginning, but I also think it's foundational. Other than physio, I've added regular yoga back into my routine. I aim for 20-30 mins/day and I find that's enough for me right now. I really like yoga with kassandra on youtube. She's got a great mix of beginner, up to advanced. And yoga with Adrienne is also great.

If that's too much, you could also try yin yoga - really great for getting the tight muscles stretched, especially when they don't want to release on their own. 

My then boyfriend used to teach skiing nearby Vancouver but I cannot recalls the place now

I'm very close to the mountains, literally a 20minute drive from my house. We spend a ton of time out there skiing (cross-country) and hiking/camping. I'm working toward being able to do that again. But, baby steps ...

Thank you Lotus 😊. Yes I will try these yoga sessions online. I know it is such a slow process yes CNS takes a very long time to heal.

Time is definitely the ultimate healer and hopefully the physiotherapist next week will be of help.

Love hiking and skiing. The dolomites in Italy where I am originally from are also one of the best places for hiking, climbing. Rock climbing and of course skiing.

There is this place called ‘San Candido’ where I often go with my children and we take the cable car 🚠https://www.e-borghi.com/en/village/Bolzano/523/san-candido

I've noticed tightness in my chest sometimes. It seems to be worst when my SSRI is high and my Antipsychotic is low.

-First started taking Seroquel, Zoloft, and Lithium Carbonate in January of 2008 after mother's death. Continued to take these meds for several years.
-Had two Zoloft induced manic episodes, one in March 2013 and another in October 2014.

-Mostly off meds from October 2014 to April 2015.

-Went back on meds (Seroquel, Lithium and Zoloft)  in April 2015. Then started to also take Buspar.

-Summer 2021: Buspar = 45mg, Lithium Carbonate = 750mg, Seroquel = 350mg, Zoloft = 175mg. // Summer 2022: Buspar = 0mg, Lithium Carbonate = 525mg, Seroquel = 300mg, Zoloft = 87.5mg. // Summer 2023: Buspar = 0mg, Lithium Carbonate = 0mg (replaced with Lithium Orotate), Seroquel = 162.5mg, Zoloft = 37.5mg.

-Recent Zoloft Doses
    -Oct22 to May23: Z = 37.5mg -Jun23: Z = 50mg->37.5mg -Jul23: Z = 34.4mg, Aug23: Z=34.4mg->31.25mg, Sep23: Z= 31.25mg, Oct23: Z =34.4mg, Nov23: Z= 37.5mg, Dec23: Z = 37.5 (switched from night to morning)

-Recent Seroquel Doses
    -Dec22: S = 200mg -Jan23 & Feb23: S = 175mg / -Mar23: S = 162.5mg -Apr23: S = 150mg / -May23: S = 156mg / -Jun23-Oct23: S = 162.5mg, Nov23: S = 162.5mg -> 156mg, Dec23: S = 156mg

-Also taking: LTheanine, Fish Oil, VitC, D3&K2, GABA, Magnesium Glycinate.
-Current Situation: Just finished decreasing Seroquel to 156mg. Have felt overstimulated recently. Am currently switching the timing of taking Zoloft from night to morning. Have become depressed as I adjust to new timing of Zoloft.

4 hours ago, Giuly88 said:

There is this place called ‘San Candido’ where I often go with my children and we take the cable car 🚠https://www.e-borghi.com/en/village/Bolzano/523/san-candido

This place looks beautiful! Europe is definitely on my bucket list ❤️

22 hours ago, MattNNN said:

I've noticed tightness in my chest sometimes. It seems to be worst when my SSRI is high and my Antipsychotic is low.

Hi, is this symptom improving for you?

21 hours ago, LotusRising said:

This place looks beautiful! Europe is definitely on my bucket list ❤️

I am originally from Rome and my parents are still there. If you love history and architecture this place is a must go.

3 hours ago, Giuly88 said:

Hi, is this symptom improving for you?

I figured out the problem. Some quack alternative meds doctor had put me on at least 4 different suppliments that can cause serotonin syndrome when combined with an SSRI. Now that I figured that out I should be ok.

-First started taking Seroquel, Zoloft, and Lithium Carbonate in January of 2008 after mother's death. Continued to take these meds for several years.
-Had two Zoloft induced manic episodes, one in March 2013 and another in October 2014.

-Mostly off meds from October 2014 to April 2015.

-Went back on meds (Seroquel, Lithium and Zoloft)  in April 2015. Then started to also take Buspar.

-Summer 2021: Buspar = 45mg, Lithium Carbonate = 750mg, Seroquel = 350mg, Zoloft = 175mg. // Summer 2022: Buspar = 0mg, Lithium Carbonate = 525mg, Seroquel = 300mg, Zoloft = 87.5mg. // Summer 2023: Buspar = 0mg, Lithium Carbonate = 0mg (replaced with Lithium Orotate), Seroquel = 162.5mg, Zoloft = 37.5mg.

-Recent Zoloft Doses
    -Oct22 to May23: Z = 37.5mg -Jun23: Z = 50mg->37.5mg -Jul23: Z = 34.4mg, Aug23: Z=34.4mg->31.25mg, Sep23: Z= 31.25mg, Oct23: Z =34.4mg, Nov23: Z= 37.5mg, Dec23: Z = 37.5 (switched from night to morning)

-Recent Seroquel Doses
    -Dec22: S = 200mg -Jan23 & Feb23: S = 175mg / -Mar23: S = 162.5mg -Apr23: S = 150mg / -May23: S = 156mg / -Jun23-Oct23: S = 162.5mg, Nov23: S = 162.5mg -> 156mg, Dec23: S = 156mg

-Also taking: LTheanine, Fish Oil, VitC, D3&K2, GABA, Magnesium Glycinate.
-Current Situation: Just finished decreasing Seroquel to 156mg. Have felt overstimulated recently. Am currently switching the timing of taking Zoloft from night to morning. Have become depressed as I adjust to new timing of Zoloft.

I am originally from Rome and my parents are still there. If you love history and architecture this place is a must go.

Just realised I said dolomites in Italy where I’m originally from and then Rome where I’m originally from 😂. So what I meant was originally from Italy and specifically Rome. The dolomites is where I often go with my children. 

I have looked at the yin yoga and will try the poses.

Thank you so much Lotusrising ❤️

My abdomen has been squeezing, holding and clenching violently over the last few days and is chronically contracted with hypertonic muscles. This happens when I sit down. When I stand up however are the back, flanks and ribs that have their turns at tightening up and squeezing. 

I’m in terrible pain and discomfort.

Will this ever let up? I’m so discouraged. I’m scared I’m stuck with these horrific symptoms permanently.

How will my CNS rectify this? 😢

2 hours ago, Giuly88 said:

Will this ever let up? I’m so discouraged. I’m scared I’m stuck with these horrific symptoms permanently.

How will my CNS rectify this?

It will let up!! I know it's discouraging, but trust in your brain's ability to come back to homeostasis. It's possible and it happens 💖

10 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

It will let up!! I know it's discouraging, but trust in your brain's ability to come back to homeostasis. It's possible and it happens 💖

Thank you LotusRising 💕 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 6:03 PM, LotusRising said:

Hi LotusRising, hope you are well. 

I am having some horrible tightening of my lower mid and lower back particularly when I stand still or semi still but it is randomly. Very painful. It seems to be cycling from the torso when I’m sat to the back when I stand leading me to believe that body position and gravity have something to do with it.

Are you experiencing or did you experience this type of spasms?

I think it might have been the Zoplicone that I took a handful of times back in March for insomnia I don’t know what to think anymore really. 

I can’t believe how disabling these spasms are 😞

I am having some horrible tightening of my lower mid and lower back particularly when I stand still or semi still but it is randomly. Very painful. It seems to be cycling from the torso when I’m sat to the back when I stand leading me to believe that body position and gravity have something to do with it.

Hi @Giuly88

Yes, mine followed a somewhat similar pattern of cycling to different areas. Sorry, I know how challenging this symptom can be. I did find some interim relief, though short, from practicing yin yoga. Did I already mention that? I feel like I preach this one to everyone since it's so helpful for keeping everything from knotting together. I gave up on it midway through my taper, but wish I hadn't. I have to get a lot of trigger point and fascia work done now and I always wonder if my residual muscle issues could have been prevented.

I think it might have been the Zoplicone that I took a handful of times back in March for insomnia I don’t know what to think anymore really. 

How long did you take it? Is there a reason you think it's related to zopiclone, and not your escitalopram taper?

I also have tightening muscles in my chest as well as lower back. When at its worse I have to stop my mind racing to "I'm having a heart attack"!  I often have neck pain and twinges so not a totally mad thought 😆 I'm struggling with this at the moment so was glad to see this topic - though of course sad to read the experiences above.  I have to consciously force breath in and practice deep breathing into my stomach. 

The tightness is really unpleasant and takes me back to recovery from covid when breathing was difficult.  I'm finding that going for a walk helps, I don't know if it's because of the exercise or the fact I breathe deeper when walking, I'm overweight so walking makes me breathless at the best of times but I do like the therapeutic effect of walking.  I'd do yoga as I'm convinced that would help but struggle due to my size.  

My job involves sitting at a desk all day, and I work from home so don't even have a commute. This is definitely causing lower back pain at the right hand said but I do some physio exercises for that.  However, when the withdrawals are in full-force I find my entire lower back constricts and this extends to my hips and less often my thighs.  This will make walking difficult, I stumble along taking little steps, I must look drunk 😂

I can have the occasional spasm, usually when trying to get off to sleep; this feels like my diaphragm suddenly contracts with such strength my legs will jump.  So far, this only happens once in the night, so not sure if there's some kind of re-set going on.

Citalopram 20mg from 2014. Spring 2016 10mg for 4 weeks then stopped May 2016. Sept 2016, 20mg; increased briefly to 30mg but felt worse and dropped back to 20mg. May 2018 15mg. July 2018 10mg. May 2019 dropped to 7.5mg (ish).  Returned to 10mg from mid-June 2019. 16th Nov 19 gradually changed to 100% dissolved tablet over 2 weeks. 

2019 28th Nov 9mg.

2020 13th Jan 8.1mg. 11th Feb 7.3mg. 29th April 2020 6.57mg. 30th May 5.90mg. 21st July 5.31mg. 17th Sept 4.8mg.

2021 7th Feb 4.3mg. 29th Mar 3.8mg. 10th May 3.42mg. 19th June 3.12mg. 29th Sept 2.83mg. 10th Nov 2.55mg.

2022 7th Jan 2.3mg. 15th Feb 2.07mg. 15th Mar 1.87mg. 7th May 1.68mg. 20th June 1.5mg. 24th Sept 1.43mg. 12th Oct 1.35mg. 12th Nov 2022 commenced Brass Monkey method (mg values are those of the fourth drop where I'll hold for a least 2 weeks): 3rd Dec 1.25mg.

2023 4th Feb 1.097mg. 27th Mar 0.988mg.  8th May 0.89mg. 19th June 0.8mg.  14th Sept 0.72mg. 

2024 (commenced lower dose drops) 1st Jan 0.71mg. 8th Jan 0.70mg. 15th Jan 0.69mg. 22nd Jan 0.68mg. 29th Jan 0.66mg. 5th Feb 0.64mg. 12th Feb 0.6mg.  19th Feb 0.56mg. 25th Mar 0.52mg

Supplements:  Omega 3 Algae Oil, Vitamin D, Magnesium Citrate 

Non-AD prescribed drugs: Levothyroxine 200mg (since 1988), Amlodipine 5mg and Ramapril 10mg (since ~2005)

On 11/22/2023 at 3:44 PM, LotusRising said:

and used a heating pad ALL the time.

Oooh, that's a good idea!  This hadn't occurred to me for some reason but I'll definitely give this a go.

Citalopram 20mg from 2014. Spring 2016 10mg for 4 weeks then stopped May 2016. Sept 2016, 20mg; increased briefly to 30mg but felt worse and dropped back to 20mg. May 2018 15mg. July 2018 10mg. May 2019 dropped to 7.5mg (ish).  Returned to 10mg from mid-June 2019. 16th Nov 19 gradually changed to 100% dissolved tablet over 2 weeks. 

2019 28th Nov 9mg.

2020 13th Jan 8.1mg. 11th Feb 7.3mg. 29th April 2020 6.57mg. 30th May 5.90mg. 21st July 5.31mg. 17th Sept 4.8mg.

2021 7th Feb 4.3mg. 29th Mar 3.8mg. 10th May 3.42mg. 19th June 3.12mg. 29th Sept 2.83mg. 10th Nov 2.55mg.

2022 7th Jan 2.3mg. 15th Feb 2.07mg. 15th Mar 1.87mg. 7th May 1.68mg. 20th June 1.5mg. 24th Sept 1.43mg. 12th Oct 1.35mg. 12th Nov 2022 commenced Brass Monkey method (mg values are those of the fourth drop where I'll hold for a least 2 weeks): 3rd Dec 1.25mg.

2023 4th Feb 1.097mg. 27th Mar 0.988mg.  8th May 0.89mg. 19th June 0.8mg.  14th Sept 0.72mg. 

2024 (commenced lower dose drops) 1st Jan 0.71mg. 8th Jan 0.70mg. 15th Jan 0.69mg. 22nd Jan 0.68mg. 29th Jan 0.66mg. 5th Feb 0.64mg. 12th Feb 0.6mg.  19th Feb 0.56mg. 25th Mar 0.52mg

Non-AD prescribed drugs: Levothyroxine 200mg (since 1988), Amlodipine 5mg and Ramapril 10mg (since ~2005)

40 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

Hi @Giuly88

Yes, mine followed a somewhat similar pattern of cycling to different areas. Sorry, I know how challenging this symptom can be. I did find some interim relief, though short, from practicing yin yoga. Did I already mention that? I feel like I preach this one to everyone since it's so helpful for keeping everything from knotting together. I gave up on it midway through my taper, but wish I hadn't. I have to get a lot of trigger point and fascia work done now and I always wonder if my residual muscle issues could have been prevented.

How long did you take it? Is there a reason you think it's related to zopiclone, and not your escitalopram taper?

Thank you LotusRising.

I took Zoplicone over 2/3 weeks but twice a week very sporadically. I’m sure it is escitalopram. I’m so down today and trying to find answers. 

I think the answer is to just walk forward everyday putting one foot in fron of the other hoping for recovery. ❤️

16 minutes ago, Mamgu said:

Oooh, that's a good idea!  This hadn't occurred to me for some reason but I'll definitely give this a go.

23 minutes ago, Mamgu said:

I also have tightening muscles in my chest as well as lower back. When at its worse I have to stop my mind racing to "I'm having a heart attack"!  I often have neck pain and twinges so not a totally mad thought 😆 I'm struggling with this at the moment so was glad to see this topic - though of course sad to read the experiences above.  I have to consciously force breath in and practice deep breathing into my stomach. 

The tightness is really unpleasant and takes me back to recovery from covid when breathing was difficult.  I'm finding that going for a walk helps, I don't know if it's because of the exercise or the fact I breathe deeper when walking, I'm overweight so walking makes me breathless at the best of times but I do like the therapeutic effect of walking.  I'd do yoga as I'm convinced that would help but struggle due to my size.  

My job involves sitting at a desk all day, and I work from home so don't even have a commute. This is definitely causing lower back pain at the right hand said but I do some physio exercises for that.  However, when the withdrawals are in full-force I find my entire lower back constricts and this extends to my hips and less often my thighs.  This will make walking difficult, I stumble along taking little steps, I must look drunk 😂

I can have the occasional spasm, usually when trying to get off to sleep; this feels like my diaphragm suddenly contracts with such strength my legs will jump.  So far, this only happens once in the night, so not sure if there's some kind of re-set going on.

Hi Mamgu, thank you for your contribution. Did your symptoms go better with time in terms of intensity and frequency? 

53 minutes ago, LotusRising said:

Hi @Giuly88

Yin yoga and yoga in general are proving very effective for me for relaxation and temporary relief. I still look forward to my brain recovering the muscle signal though 😙 

7 minutes ago, Giuly88 said:

Hi Mamgu, thank you for your contribution. Did your symptoms go better with time in terms of intensity and frequency? 

I'd say in terms of frequency it's ramping up more.  But I think I'm at the business end of my taper, i.e. relatively low doses.  All my other WD symptoms arrive more often so I'd expect the chest tightness to be the same.  Though it's difficult to be objective as I'm having a fairly grotty time lately and I have a propensity to catastrophise (read health anxiety! - like thinking it's a heart attack!!).

In terms of intensity, I'd say it's pretty much the same each time.  Though when the muscles ease enough that I can breathe naturally, I still feel an ache in my chest these days.  I don't recall having that previously. 

I've been going through a stressy time of late and I'm sure that hasn't helped.  I'm taking a small hold in dose reductions so it will be interesting to see if this eases in a week or so.  Mind you, I'm planning a trip to visit family over Christmas so expect all the usual excitement and exhaustion that comes with being around boisterous grandchildren!

2019 28th Nov 9mg.

1 hour ago, Giuly88 said:

Yin yoga and yoga in general are proving very effective for me for relaxation and temporary relief. I still look forward to my brain recovering the muscle signal though 😙 

Ha! Yes, ditto! I'm ready for that anytime!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi LotusRising and a Happy New Year,

Hope you had a relaxing Christmas too.

I’m just after some collective encouragement and support.

No sure whether this is a wave. My upper body muscle tightness has increased over the last few days including torso, back, flanks. 

I haven’t done, taken or eaten anything different from the ordinary.

Did you experience waves where the muscle symptoms were more severe than usual? Do you think they will lead to more healing? 

Peace and healing vibes to you 💕🙏

Happy New Year to you too @Giuly88 :)

Did you experience waves where the muscle symptoms were more severe than usual? Do you think they will lead to more healing? 

Yes, I certainly did!

I tend to get a big flare where the symptom is more intense, followed by lesser intensity, then disappearance of that symptom. Another new symptom might pop up in the meantime, with a similar pattern. For me, this cycle has repeated but with lesser and lesser intensity each time. The nervous system seems to heal in patches. This link provides a good analogy of how the nervous system heals. It's long, and written relative to healing from benzos, but holds true for AD's too and has a lot of great information.

It will most definitely get better and is certainly a sign of healing.

9 hours ago, LotusRising said:

Happy New Year to you too @Giuly88 :)

Yes, I certainly did!

I tend to get a big flare where the symptom is more intense, followed by lesser intensity, then disappearance of that symptom. Another new symptom might pop up in the meantime, with a similar pattern. For me, this cycle has repeated but with lesser and lesser intensity each time. The nervous system seems to heal in patches. This link provides a good analogy of how the nervous system heals. It's long, and written relative to healing from benzos, but holds true for AD's too and has a lot of great information.

It will most definitely get better and is certainly a sign of healing.

Thank you LotusRising ❤️

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy