LeavingLexapro- Introduction

LeavingLexapro

Hi, I have been off of Lexapro now for approximately 1 month. I have tried to go off this medication more than a couple times over the last few years. I have been on the medication for moderate depression and anxiety. As the withdrawal symptoms have kicked in, in the past, I have gone back on the medication, due to the sheer enormity of difficulty withdrawal presents. I have shared this with my doctor when it has happened, and she has always automatically assured me the symptoms I am experiencing can't be withdrawal, that it must just be a sign that I need the medication. I have determined that it is in her best interests for me to say medicated. So, this time around, I am not giving up so easily.

I have experienced a wide array of emotions since I started tapering. While tapering, after each reduction I would feel weepy for a couple days, and then I would feel very good, until the next reduction. Then, when I completely came off the medication, the real issues started. I have experienced everything from mania to rage to extreme sadness. I had never experienced mania in the past.

The mania was enjoyable, in that I had a lot of energy, interest in sex, and a general feeling of extreme confidence and positive attitude. At the same time, the mania was a little exhausting. Kind of felt like the Energizer bunny in mind and body. Kind of like I was on a merry-go-round that wouldn't stop. The mood swings have been quite excessive, and I am having much more difficulty dealing with the normal stressors in my life. I go from content to livid in a matter of seconds. Feels like I am losing it at times.

I am more than a little concerned about how long it will take me to get back to normal, whatever that is now. I have read in some places that the brain can take as much as 3 months to fully adjust to minor medication changes. So, I am a little concerned that I came of Lexapro too fast, from 30 mg to 0 mg in 3 months time. I can't imagine going back on it to taper more slowly- just seems counter-intuitive, I guess.

Anyone have any advice on how best to deal with the symptoms, and any advice on whether I will eventually get back to normal without re-starting a tapering dose?

Thank you for your help!

Tapered from long-time use of 30 mg of Lexapro to nothing, in 5 mg reductions every 2 weeks, down to nothing, ending at Christmas, 2012.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Leaving Lexapro!

Can you tell us a bit more about your taper? What dose were you on, how often did you reduce and by how much?

Most of us have tried the too fast taper and have ended up back on our medications...this forum suggests a 10% reduction every month or so. That gives you the best chance to stabilise between reductions and avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Leaving. Welcome. I too am tapering lexapro since being on it for a long time. I am personally very sensitive to reductions... I experience symptoms for about a week after just a 4 % cut. I can't imagine tapering as fast as you did but everyone is different.

What were your previous attempted tapers like and did your doctor recommend increasing your dosage after each "failed" attempts ie you complained about the symptoms? If so, that seems to be a common theme with clueless doctors. 30 mg is a pretty high dose of lexapro I believe.

Someone will be along soon with useful suggestions on what to do next.

Good luck.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

Welcome, LL.

Yes, mania or hypomania are known to be withdrawal symptoms. To be on the safe side, as symptoms can get worse, you may wish to reinstate a small amount of Lexapro, perhaps 2mg, stabilize, and very, very slowly go off that last little bit.

Do you have any Lexapro left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello, Altostrata. Yes, I do have some tablets left. Thank you for the advice. I will reinstate with 2 mg, if it becomes necessary. For now, I will just try to ride it out. At least I have an option should the symptoms become more than I can handle alone. :) I do have a very supportive family, thankfully. And I have to say, I have had more success this time than I have had with attempts at quitting in the past. I have been taking fish oil and probiotic supplements as well. I have read that these supplements can ease symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to handle the extreme emotions, particularly the anger? I don't want to be hurtful to those I love, or damage any other relationships while in this transition.

Tapered from long-time use of 30 mg of Lexapro to nothing, in 5 mg reductions every 2 weeks, down to nothing, ending at Christmas, 2012.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Altostrata. Yes, I do have some tablets left. Thank you for the advice. I will reinstate with 2 mg, if it becomes necessary. For now, I will just try to ride it out. At least I have an option should the symptoms become more than I can handle alone. :)

I'm afraid that assumption is wrong. The problem with waiting is that most people only have a window of about a month to safely reinstate and you're nearing the end of that time. Here's a post by our Adminstrator, Alto, regarding reinstatement:

About reinstating

Please don't hesitate to go back on a small dose of Lexapro. Speaking as someone who has been in withdrawal for over a year because of getting off 10 mg. Lexapro too fast (over a three month period), I hope you'll reconsider. It's obvious that you aren't one of the lucky ones who can quit taking antidepressants quickly with no problems as you're already having serious withdrawal symptoms. And they are all familiar to me.

What most people don't understand - because these drugs are so strong and cause changes in the central nervous system and brain - is that getting off the drug fast is like yanking a crutch away from someone with a broken leg before they can walk again. Your brain has adapted to this chemical support and stopping the antidepressant abruptly leaves the brain unsupported and struggling mightily to get back to normal. Those struggles result in withdrawal symptoms which are painful and sometimes disabling.

The very best thing you can do to spare your family and other relationships is to go back on a small amount of Lexapro right away. We'll be here to support you either way, but reinstating, stabilizing, and then tapering off very slowly is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Welcome to the forum. It was a godsend to me when I first crash-banged off Lexapro and throughout the past thirteen months. There are many helpful, supportive people here and lots of sound information.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi LL... I am tapering off Lexapro right now.

I went off Lex once before, too fast - I went from 20->0 in 80 days. 20 mg is significantly less than 30, and 80 days was still WAY too fast.

Now I'm changing my dose about once a month. My first step down was 13% instead of 10% so I'm staying here for 5-6 weeks. After a couple of weeks I'm feeling great again, but resisting the temptation to drop doses any faster. It's hard, because I'm anxious to be off this crap.

What matters is the long-term. Your brain on 30 mg of Lexapro (that is HUGE!!!) has undergone VAST physical changes. This can't be undone overnight. This isn't like going off heroin and getting past the DT's. Your brain has to physically change structure again. It might take you a year, done properly. Do you want to be a basket case for a year?

I'm not trying to discourage you - rather, I'm encouraging you to do this in a sane way, for you and for your family, and so that you don't end up giving up.

In addition to all these brain structure changes, you haven't had to deal with real emotions this whole time. Years of blunted emotions means you have to re-learn how to manage them, just like a rehab patient relearning to use her legs or something. Except you aren't going to rehab 3x/week for professional help with it (such a thing doesn't exist so far as I know). You're learning all on your own, day by day, in real life.

Stretching this analogy - would you take this same rehab patient who can't use her legs & drop her in the middle of a 6-lane highway & tell her to run for it? No way! But this is basically what you've done to yourself.

After two weeks of feeling great, today I'm dealing with terrible irritability. I haven't had enough sleep & this past week has been very demanding of me physically & mentally. My husband has left town, and my kids are driving me bat-poop crazy. 50% of this is me not able to deal with the irritability. 50% is that I've let my kids learn to be overly demanding because my normal internal brake was broken.

And that is problem #3: everyone in your life has learned they can push you too far, because you haven't been reacting properly all this time. Family, friends, colleagues. Now they are going to push and you aren't going be able to put up with it anymore. You can't re-establish all the proper boundaries overnight, either. This takes time, if you want to keep your relationships intact.

1) structural brain changes

2) emotional un-blunting

3) relationship changes

It's too much, all at once. The tortoise wins this race.

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

Jemima said: "The problem with waiting is that most people only have a window of about a month to safely reinstate and you're nearing the end of that time."

Jemima, can you explain a little what you mean by "safely" reinstating? What are the risks and possible results?

Thanks.

• Administrator

The sooner you reinstate, the more likely it will reduce withdrawal symptoms. It seems there's a window of opportunity for reinstatement, beyond which it doesn't work and may make symptoms worse.

This window varies from person to person, so no one can tell for sure if or when reinstatement will help.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

So, does 2 mg to stabilize seem reasonable, as one of the responders suggested?

And then, how do you reduce 10% a month when on such a small dosage? How do you cut the pills and weigh them in such small amounts?

And then how long do I do the taper to come off completely?

Thank you for your help.

• Administrator

It might help. Your nervous system might have adapted somewhat and not need as much to get back to equilibrium.

To taper by tiny amounts, you'd use a liquid. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

LL I had a very hard time tapering Lexapro. As you put it "the enormity" of the WD had me go back on a few times I tried to decrease. I did it slowly and it took quite a long time.

Sooo, the advise to go back on Lexapro in a small dose may really help your WD symptoms. If you were on 30mgs. you may consider 10-15mgs. and see what happens.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 4 weeks later...

If a person has been off a medication for 2 months, what is the best advice?

Try to reinstate?

Try to ride it out for fear that the reinstatement will just make it worse?

And if a person does reinstate at this point, what mg would that person reinstate at?

I tapered off 30 mg to 0 mg in 3 months. I wish I could talk to my doctor about this, but she doesn't seem to understand withdrawal at all. She assumes that any ill effects after discontinuing just means that the person needs to be on medication, not that it could be withdrawal.

I am so sad and anxious, and I feel helpless. I thought I could handle this, and I am fine most days, but the slightest life complication sets my nerves into a raw, frayed state.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LL

Unfortunately, doctors don't seem to recognize withdrawal as a cause for symptoms.

What was the last dosage you took just before you went to Zero? That would probably be a good place to start if you wish to reinstate. You could try that for, say a week and then decide if you need to updose by tiny amounts. (If it helps but not enough)

Three months was a very fast taper, I would think.

What was the last dosage you took just before you went to Zero?

I was last on 5 mg.

• Administrator

Since you're feeling very sensitive, LL -- not the least imaginary, by the way, when a person is experiencing withdrawal syndrome -- I might start with 1mg liquid Lexapro.

Any MD can prescribe this. I suggest you phone a doctor you trust right away, say you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and request a prescription for the liquid. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

If you can stabilize on a small amount for a month or so, you'll be able to complete your taper by reducing by very, very small amounts, 0.10mg or less at a time, to finally go off.

Do you have any other withdrawal symptoms now?

Just a lot of anxiety and depression. I am not even sure how to know if I just need the medication at this point, or if it just still withdrawal. I just know I feel worse the last month or so than I did before I started on the medication.

• Administrator

If those are withdrawal symptoms, reinstating a small amount of Lexapro should help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a lot of anxiety and depression. I am not even sure how to know if I just need the medication at this point, or if it just still withdrawal. I just know I feel worse the last month or so than I did before I started on the medication.

Feeling worse than you did before you started the medication sounds more like withdrawal. This is a common statement in withdrawal.

Whatever you decide, I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Well, I finally bit the bullet after having a pretty crappy day yesterday. I started yesterday evening on 1 mL Lexapro to try to reinstate after 3.5 months off the medication. I had a little trouble sleeping, but this could be due to the fact that I took an evening dose. Today, I took a morning dose, and I had a couple bouts of anxiety during the day. We will see how it progresses.

I also continue to have some nausea, and a bit of cramping feeling in my stomach. It was a little stronger today than prior days when I was off the medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have found that keeping something simple in my stomach helps with the nausea. I eat plain, saltine crackers in between meals. Also..ginger tea made from fresh ginger root will help me immediately with nausea. There are simple recipes on the net.... well worth it. Hope something will help as I know with lexapro.... it is NO FUN feeling yucky.

I have my fingers crossed & am optimistic that reinstating that little bit will help a lot soon!!!!..... keep us posted!!!

RU

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

First off, thank you all so very much for your help. :)

I began my reinstatement with 1 mL of Lexapro 2 days ago after being off medication completely for 3.5 months. I started waking very early my first night, and now I have had a completely sleepless night.

I decided to finally reinstate for fear that my withdrawal symptoms would continue to drag out for months, but I had seen some improvements over the last month or so. I have been able to go longer periods of time without major anxiety, and had more patience and and less anger.

Having such a strong reaction (sleep disturbance) to reinstatement, do I keep taking the 1 mL for the next month, and hope things improve, or does this mean I am not going to have success with reinstatement?

I had made a little progress recently, and with now going from sleeping well the last 2.5 months to sudden sleepless nights, I am afraid of starting with strong withdrawal symptoms all over again.

Please advise. If you do advise I stick the reinstatement out, can anyone tell how long it might take before my sleep returns to normal, and maybe recommend a page to read FAQ of reinstatement symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LL--

A small reinstatement will not cause great or instant changes; it just may give you some relief from the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. But it doesn't happen overnight usually. Since your CNS has been destabilized for quite some time now (it sounds like it's been a long time since you've been stable, actually, with your multiple withdrawal attempts) it is likely to take you some months to really stabilize.

Alto will be along eventually to give you advice regarding the dosage. I just wanted to let you know that it's not realistic to expect instant results from this small reinstatement. The improvement and stabilization will come gradually, over time.

I really don't know as much about AD withdrawal and reinstatement as I do about benzos, so I could be wrong, but I do think it's possible your insomnia is not caused 100% by the small dose you have reinstated, and I think it's possible it will go away.

Patience is the key with psych med withdrawal, tapering and recovery. It takes the brain a lot of time to heal and rebalance itself.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LL,

Alto will be here later to give you the best advice. I'm sorry you're still struggling with this.

Have you noticed any hypersensitivities to other things, certain foods or drinks, etc.?

I hope you get relief soon.

Tezza

Hello, tezza.

I haven't noticed any other new or renewed symptoms so far. Just slightly nauseated feeling, and I felt pretty nervous yesterday evening. Felt wide awake last night. Finally got 3 hours of sleep.

• Administrator

LL, reinstatement after such a long time is a crapshoot.

I would try the 1mg for 4 days total, take at the same time each day, and see how you do.

Thank you, Altostrata. I will take it for the 4 days, and then provide an update.

Hello, again.

I have completed 4 days of the 1 mL reinstatement dose. Since Wednesday morning, I would say that I have felt possibly a little less nervous, and a little less negative. I have slept well both of the last 2 nights.

It's kind of difficult to judge in such a short time, especially since my moods have been somewhat erratic anyway. The only changes that were incredibly obvious were the 2 nights of sleep disturbance, and the increase in the acid feeling in my stomach/crampiness after eating meals.

I suppose I should continue with the resinstatement?

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, again.

I have completed 4 days of the 1 mL reinstatement dose. Since Wednesday morning, I would say that I have felt possibly a little less nervous, and a little less negative. I have slept well both of the last 2 nights.

It's kind of difficult to judge in such a short time, especially since my moods have been somewhat erratic anyway. The only changes that were incredibly obvious were the 2 nights of sleep disturbance, and the increase in the acid feeling in my stomach/crampiness after eating meals.

I suppose I should continue with the resinstatement?

Thanks.

If it were me I would even if you feel just a little bit better that is a very good sign. Has the nausea improved some?

The nausea is not so bad. I have been able to keep food down, just feeling slightly nauseated after I eat.

If I continue to take the 1 mL and I don't see much effect after taking it for a while (so that it seems like it not really worth taking), can I just stop taking it? Or will it require another taper?

• Administrator

The idea is to stabilize for a while, maybe a couple of months, then taper by very small amounts off even 1mg.

Over the 4 days, did you have a gradual small improvement? If so, you might want to take another milligram, for 2mg Lexapro.

Well, the problem is, I am not that good at classifying my own moods. I tend to get grumpy about things at work, for example, too, so it's hard because there are so many variables. I felt pretty good yesterday, for example, but then I feel a little more nervous and annoyed today. I guess there might be a very slight improvement, but I can't say with absolute certainty. Also, over the last month or so, I have been able to regulate my mood a little better anyway. So, I haven't noticed that I get annoyed or down every day like I did in the beginning of my withdrawal. I have maybe 3 bad episodes a week now.

• Administrator

So, Altostrata. Do you recommend I stick with reinstatement a while longer?

• Administrator

Yes, if it's helped a little. In a bit, you might want to take a little more Lexapro.

Count on staying on a reinstatement for at least a couple of months.