SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Self-compassion vs. self-esteem

basildev

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd post this link to a research paper on self-compassion because it really helped me.

Despite being highly educated in the science of the mind I struggle badly with self-judgement and the wd symptoms certainly don't help either.

No matter how much work I do on myself (and I've done a LOT)I find myself comparing myself in every area of my life with others and of course, coming up short. This article and it's corresponding website has helped me a lot. There are heaps of research papers on the subject. I bought the book but I don't think you need to do that to get the gist of it.

I hope it helps some of you too:

https://webspace.utexas.edu/neffk/pubs/SC%2C%20SE%2C%20Well-being.pdf

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thanks for the article.

Yes, compassion is different from self-esteem. I think the more compassion I can show myself the more self-esteem it can create. It helps to show compassion for others too. Service bolsters esteem.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Nikki

Some days are harder than others...

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a *really* good article, Basildev. What is the name of the book?

Thanks!!! This is just what I needed at a bad time in life!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

No worries Jemima.

I'm finding the whole site really useful too. The book is called 'Self compassion' by Kristen Neff. You can get a kindle version but it's pretty expensive compared to most Kindle books. Still it was well worth it for me.

The website is great too because it has free self-compassion guided meditations in MP3 format.

What I like about this concept is that it points out that it is the human condition to feel 'not good enough'. So when I get caught in a 'shame-trance' it feel really isolating, like I'm the only one going through this. But when I remind myself that we all feel this way (at least according to the studies and research we do) I don't feel so alone.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy