Gardner off Pristiq

Gardner

• Administrator

I've learned that it is a good idea to try and have a consistent time to go to bed and a consistent time to wake. In my experience it appears to help the body to reset its diurnal cortisol pattern and seams to create stability. Give it a try and let us know if you have any improvement in energy or symptoms.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gardner

• Altostrata

• Skyler

• tezza

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Karma

I agree and what I did last 2 nights.

This am awoke with that paralyzed feeling a.d DH had pulled the blinds even

1/2 hr to get up and still hyper and so anxious.

Didn't have anything to eat last night because I was trying to get my blood sugar stable

call the doctor on Friday and they never called me back

Call back this morning and told them i wasn't happy with their lack of support on this withdrawal

I know it won't matter and can count on you buys.

I just HATED to do the increase Alto suggested as i want off this ax it's sure not helping the .

Depression

Sorry for the ramble

I just want my life back :(.

Day 12 report above

Gosh almost 2 weeks on the drug to get off the pristiq.

I never woulda guessed taking a sample would cause such a nightmare

• Moderator Emeritus

Tezza

I am using

Nexus 7 pad and I can't see my name or the arrow going down so I guess I'm going to have to go on the computer.

I did use your link.

what kind of pad or tablet do you use ??

Hi Gardner,

I use the Apple iPad. I'm sorry you can't see everything. When I was using a phone, I was missing a lot too.

Still DAY 12

Nausea dizzy cold can't eat as the thought makes me sick

Been in bed all day

Is this w/d

Haven't been like this during the day

Dr still hasn't called from fro I and today

Any support out there you guys

DAY 12-Dr nurse finally called.

" Friday is usually to busy a day for Dr to return calls...but I was told to call" so told in voice mail needs support over weekend. You can get a person to talk to you always have to just leave messages.

Drs directions :(

For 2 weeks

----------

25 mg one day

2 25 mg am/pm

Alternate

FOR next 2 weeks

--------------

1-Each day

For next 2 weeks

---------------

25 mgs every other day

This sure doesn't sound like your 10 % drop to me

Called the hospital pharmacists I know and respect he said

" 25 in am and 1/2 25 in pm for a week and see how I feel."

Think I did try that one time in my notes.

HATE to even ask you opinions as you have been answering me so kindly. To day has just been a bad day.

Would still appreciate your comments and thoughts, please !

Hi Gardner, Sorry to hear you are feeling so awful weaning of your meds. I'm in the early stages of weaning off pristiq (day 10) and so far so good. I am giving my nervous system a little bit of support by taking good quality flaxseed oil tabs and krill oil tabs as well as magnesium. These are both natural and shouldn't have any side effects. just be careful if you have a cardiac history or are on any blood thinning medications. Both these supplements are great for the heart as well as the nervous system and magnesium especially is a muscle relaxant. Fish oils can "thin the blood slightly" and therefore check with your doctor that it is ok to take although I am a cardiac nurse and many of my patients take fish oils, krill etc. Also as it is winter over there you may benefit from a vitamin D supplement as you wont be getting much naturally from the sun and most people are deficient in Vitamin D. Vitamin B might also help you and has minimal side effects except for making your wee smell a little differently !! :)

I hope it ok for me to give you this sort of advice on here. I'm new to the site. Go easy on yourself Judy. you are doing well and even though you are feeling pretty rotten you are still being pro active and seeking help and doing your best in a pretty hard situation. I hope you have a friend or 2 that can give you a hug when you need one. I'll send you the next best thing and send you a cyber hug xoxoxo

Megan

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

Megan

How nice to get up and see your

Note off support.

I live in southern Ca but we haven't had alot of sun lately.

I do take 1,000 D and Caltrat D 600.

Since moving here i haven't made friends but hubby is sire trying

will post more later just wanted to say thanks for caring

Judy

DAY 13

With 4 tapering options , I think that I'm going to go with this 1 the pharmacist recommended

25 milligrams in the morning and a half of 25 (12.5) at night for a week l.

The doctors version is a ping pong effect which I know you guys are against

Alto you have been do supportive, could you please comment on this as to if there is any danger in this.

took about 45 min to get up. Will post how the day goes.

This is the second day I've had to schedule something that I planned I have been sitting in the chair this morning and have not been active

Megan, so I have to watch that.

• Administrator

DAY 13

With 4 tapering options , I think that I'm going to go with this 1 the pharmacist recommended

25 milligrams in the morning and a half of 25 (12.5) at night for a week

Gardner, you've been taking 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the evening.

Why do you think you should reduce your dosage to 25mg in the morning and 12.5mg in the evening now?

Why for a week? What are you planning to do???

Here is our tapering Effexor topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

If you can't read this on your phone, please go to the library and read it on a computer there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto

I've read that link about 10 times.

Guess I don't get the 10% of what I'm doing ...25-25 a day

My Dr didn't seem like something you'd like and this'd plan seemed more in tune with yours

PLEASE CORRECT me if I'm wrong

I was just going to see how I felt after a week and evaluate

If you think that this is a bad idea feel freeblet me know.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gardner - doing what your doctor is suggesting is a 25% drop which is 2 and a half times what we would normally recommend. Your nervous system already is sensitised, this big a drop is only likely to make you more unstable.

I am not exactly sure of your plan - you are unstable on the 25mg effexor morning and night - if i was in your position i would be staying on this dose for at least a month to see if you stabilise - our aim is to help you be symptom free asap THEN to help you get off.

When it is time to reduce, you would come down 5mg of your daily dose - so 22.5mg in the morning and 22.5mg in the evening. That is where the digital scale or making a solution out of your tablets will become necessary.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

I agree with peggy, I don't understand why you're looking for tapering directions when you haven't stabilized yet.

You may need an INCREASE in dosage to stabilize.

I don't know what a decrease at this point will do. It may throw you back into severe withdrawal.

To reduce by 10%, you can make a liquid from Effexor and titrate using an oral syringe.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I finally get the 10 percent decrease now thank you Peggy and Alto

So ...dangerous to do drs way and pharmacist way

Only way to stay Stable is too keep on my 25-25 a day plan.

Your right i just want to decrease as safe and fast as possible

Comments appreciate as i feel so damn alone. :(

I know u think i am unappreciative and stubborn but just feel fragile and scared.

So many medical issues and c-diff 4 times since aug and were 4-5 weeks long each and on 2000 mg vancomycin

I'm just tired of being sick and that's why i was depressed :(

thinks aGain for being there for me

Will take my 25 tonight. :(

DAY 14 -- 2 WEEKS

Took the 25 last nite like you suggested

Last nite after I took pill whole body was itchy. Took acedimediphin w/ benadaryl 1 pill.

This am dirrehea 4 times. Bottom of feet tingle and feel Shaky.

Comments appreciated

• Administrator

Any other medication changes?

What other drugs are you taking?

Gardner,

You do not seem stubborn or unappreciative, only understandably confused by the lack of knowledge of doctors and pharmacists. Please remember that there are VERY FEW that understand or have ever dealt with this situation.

Alto has collected the best medical information available anywhere. Researchers are now referencing her work and this site for information. It's truly groundbreaking work. That your docs and pharmacist are not aware is not unusual.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3132-belaise-2012-patient-online-report-of-selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitor-induced-persistent-postwithdrawal-anxiety-and-mood-disorders/page__fromsearch__1

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3777-survivingantidepressantsorg-in-the-media/page__pid__43252#entry43252

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

how did you sleep last night? Diarrhoea could be from effexor or anxiety.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I kept waking up about 5 Xs but could go right back to sleep. Am keeping to more of a bed time at 10:30. I did have my first brain zap yesterday morning. I forgot to mention it.

I can't get emails on my phone now. Doing this on my nexus 7 pad. I wrote to Alto from my computer saying I can't log in but am logged on here. Need to find out what my user name and pass word are. I was sure they were correct.

Gardner,

You do not seem stubborn or unappreciative, only understandably confused by the lack of knowledge of doctors and pharmacists. Please remember that there are VERY FEW that understand or have ever dealt with this situation.

Alto has collected the best medical information available anywhere. Researchers are now referencing her work and this site for information. It's truly groundbreaking work. That your docs and pharmacist are not aware is not unusual.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3132-belaise-2012-patient-online-report-of-selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitor-induced-persistent-postwithdrawal-anxiety-and-mood-disorders/page__fromsearch__1

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3777-survivingantidepressantsorg-in-the-media/page__pid__43252#entry43252

Thanks for the links.

They were reasuring..

Appreciate your support

• Administrator

Gardner, I know it's difficult for you to type a lot on your phone, but I need to know what other medications you are taking.

Or, put them into the Drug Interactions Checker yourself http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the link here. That would be a lot less trouble for me.

Alto

Got your email re sign in thanks.

I use drugs.com a lot do well try to link for you if it makes it easier for you.

If I have trouble I'll just type them all out

Back on 25/25 as you think is best.

• Administrator

It could be one or more of your drugs is conflicting with Effexor.

Please type out a list here, with your dosages and what time of day you take each drug, PLUS do the interactions checker and post the link here. Thanks.

Just spent the night putting all the meds in drugs.com but not the amounts Or times per day so will have to figure out how to link or maybe cut and paste so you can get it

Will try tomorrow to get into computer

I've been checking drug interactions when I add a new drug. Some say a conflict but don't take at the same times

Have a nice Valentine's day.

Judy

Just spent 1/2 hr putting up post

Lost it :(

Worst anticipatory anxiety yet I've had.

Frozen in bed 1/2 hr today.

Been reading your suggested links here.

I have to accept this will be a long journey

Have to FORCE myself to get on the computer to get

List for Alto

My 2.5 valium always helps. Took 25 effexor 1:45 min ago

Getting some now before i lose this

Could use dome prayers and cyber support to.

• Administrator

Please list meds, amounts, and time of day you take each HERE.

Enter drugs in drugs.com and post only the LINK here.

You might find this easier to do on a computer.

It has taken me this long to get logged on

I will go and try to load the drugs.com i completed last nite.

It's going slow with the shakes and anxiety.

The valium isn't working this am for the first time in years.

I do not take it often.

Will try to get the list asap

Thanks Alto

• Moderator Emeritus

yes, it would seem gabapentin has a few interactions there - how long have you been taking it, why was it prescribed and what is your dosage?

Save New list My drug list GARDNER

DAILY

Synthroid (levothyroxine) 1 100 MG AM

hydrochlorothiazide 1 25 MG AM

Asacol (mesalamine) 1 400 MG AM - PM

Claritin 24 Hour Allergy 1 10 MG AM

Caltrate calcium 600+D 1 600 MG PM

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) 1 20 MG AM - PM

Flovent HFA(fluticasone) 2 PUFFS AM - PM

ProAir HFA (albuterol) 2 PUFFS AS NEEDED

Nasonex(mometasonenasal) 1 SQUIRT EACH NOSTRIL AM

acetaminophen 2 EX STRENGTH BUT DON'T US IF USING ADVIL

diazepam 1 2.5 MG AS NEEDED AND DON'T USE OFTEN

Advil (ibuprofen) 1 200 MG A DAY IF NEEDED FOR BONE PAIN

Neurontin (gabapentin) 1 100 MG OR 2 PILLS AS NEEDED BUT NOT TAKING WITH EFFEXOR

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PEGGY

GOOD CATCH. I HAVE NOT TAKEN THE NEUROTIN SINCE I STARTED THE PRISTIQ OR EFFEXOR THUS USE THE ADVIL ONCE A DAY.

I HAVE A RARE medical condition MAZABRAUD SYNDROME MORE SEVERE THAN ALBRIGHTS SYNDROME THAT CAUSES FIBROUS DYSPLASIA OF THE BONES AND TUMORS, MYXOMAS ,ONE LIKE A FOOTBALL WAS REMOVED TWICE FROM BACK OF THIGH OTHER LIKE

GRAPEFRUITS OR SOFT BALLS AND THEY ARE ON MOSTLY LEFT SIDE AND ARE ON ARMS AND LEGS. IT MAKES MOBILITY DIFFICULT AND THUS USE A WALKER

GOING TO TRY TO PRINT THIS AND TAKE MY NAME OFF IF

[/font]

Sorry for the caps but easier for me to see.

stil have the shakes and anxiety.

Valium has always worked before. :blink:

Any thoughts appreciated.

At least i got this up there for Alto

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for the caps but easier for me to see.

stil have the shakes and anxiety.

Valium has always worked before. :blink:

Any thoughts appreciated.

At least i got this up there for Alto

Good effort Gardner, everyone can see this was not so easy for you. I'm very sorry to hear you are having to cope with a major health problem. You would never know from your attitude. You certainly have accepted your situation and are doing the best you can to manage.

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin