Gardner off Pristiq

Gardner

Thanks Skyler

This new ME since re locating to Ca, I don't even know

I've always been such a positive up beat fun person

She sure has gotten lost

I wish there new Dr would have known me before.

My old Dr of 25 Yeats GOT ME :(

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gardner

• Altostrata

• Skyler

• tezza

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Skyler

This new ME since re locating to Ca, I don't even know

I've always been such a positive up beat fun person

She sure has gotten lost

I wish there new Dr would have known me before.

My old Dr of 25 Yeats GOT ME :(

Refresh my thinking, did you say why relocated to CA, is this something you can share?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

After 31 wonderful years we moved from a lovely suburb outside of Philadelphia. I had such a wonderful life there. Active in a Garden Club lots of friends 17 fabulous Gardens I loved tending,

I swam every day for exercise, had wonderful supportive drs and a gifted chiropractor i saw once a week.

then after 9 years our son who had moved to California said he wasn't going to be coming back to the east coast so just retiring we sold everything and moved out here without a home etc

I never dreamed we wouldn't be that close to our son who we don't see that often. He tries and is a wonderful son but lives farther away than we planned

You name it and i've tried and done evertything to adjust but just have been sick with 4 cases of c-diff so had to stop swimming and doing pt ad medicare ran out.

I quit smoking over 2 years ago and that's when the depression really started. My Dr said... " well if your this depressed maybe you should start again" so he has tried do many ad like vibbrid think it was...

Anyways going to lay back down

Hubby and I were going out to dinner but he just ate so guess that's off.

Thanks for listening

Alto

I was really wondering if this drug itself might just not be agreeing with Me as it never ever helped depression?

I was just using it to withdrawl from pristiq.

Do you see any issues with the meds?

the ones at the bottom I haven't been taking very often at all

• Administrator

Thanks for entering the information.

Save New list My drug list GARDNER

DAILY

Synthroid (levothyroxine) 1 100 MG AM

hydrochlorothiazide 1 25 MG AM diuretic

Asacol (mesalamine) 1 400 MG AM - PM colitis

Claritin 24 Hour Allergy 1 10 MG AM

Caltrate calcium 600+D 1 600 MG PM ???

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) 1 20 MG AM - PM

Flovent HFA(fluticasone) 2 PUFFS AM - PM

ProAir HFA (albuterol) 2 PUFFS AS NEEDED asthma

Nasonex(mometasone nasal) 1 SQUIRT EACH NOSTRIL AM

acetaminophen 2 EX STRENGTH BUT DON'T US IF USING ADVIL

diazepam 1 2.5 MG AS NEEDED AND DON'T USE OFTEN

Advil (ibuprofen) 1 200 MG A DAY IF NEEDED FOR BONE PAIN

Neurontin (gabapentin) 1 100 MG OR 2 PILLS AS NEEDED BUT NOT TAKING WITH EFFEXOR

Gardner, please make an appointment right away with your doctor and request that your medications be reduced to the minimum.

For example, in magenta above -- you are taking 3 drugs for nasal allergy, plus albuterol. (Why are you using albuterol, do you have asthma?).

(I use only fluticasone occasionally, when my allergies act up.)

Here are your drug interactions

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=11-0,862-0,1257-0,1310-782,2336-1589,1665-15548,1486-12319,1124-1963,2416-11598,1147-677,1750-1709,109-2464,1463-869 I added Effexor to your list of drugs in the interaction checker and found a number of worrisome interactions. Please do this and read all the reactions for yourself.

Read the "Professional" version, the consumer version is dumbed-down and will tell you to talk to your doctor.

Please look carefully at all the drug interactions with hydrochlorothiazide and make sure you absolutely need it.

Do you absolutely need to take Prilosec OTC? This drug interacts with others AND interferes with vitamin B12 absorption. B12 is essential for good neurological functioning. It also causes low magnesium -- hypomagnesemia. Diuretics increase magnesium loss.

Low B12 and magnesium could be adding to your neurological symptoms.

From FDA information at http://www.drugs.com/pro/prilosec.html

Bone Fracture

Several published observational studies suggest that proton pump inhibitor (PPI) therapy may be associated with an increased risk for osteoporosis-related fractures of the hip, wrist, or spine. The risk of fracture was increased in patients who received high-dose, defined as multiple daily doses, and long-term PPI therapy (a year or longer). Patients should use the lowest dose and shortest duration of PPI therapy appropriate to the condition being treated. Patients at risk for osteoporosis-related fractures should be managed according to established treatment guidelines....

Hypomagnesemia

Hypomagnesemia, symptomatic and asymptomatic, has been reported rarely in patients treated with PPIs for at least three months, in most cases after a year of therapy. Serious adverse events include tetany, arrhythmias, and seizures. In most patients, treatment of hypomagnesemia required magnesium replacement and discontinuation of the PPI.

For patients expected to be on prolonged treatment or who take PPIs with medications such as digoxin or drugs that may cause hypomagnesemia (e.g., diuretics), health care professionals may consider monitoring magnesium levels prior to initiation of PPI treatment and periodically....

See other adverse reactions from Prilosec, and see if you have any of them.

Are you taking calcium in addition to Caltrate calcium 600+D, maybe in a multivitamin? drugs.com says "Concurrent administration of calcium-containing products may decrease the oral bioavailability of levothyroxine by one-third in some patients."

Note that albuterol and fluticasone interact:

Although they are often combined in clinical practice, the concomitant use of beta-2 adrenergic agonists and corticosteroids may result in additive hypokalemic [reduced potassium] effects.

I also checked Flockhart's P450 liver enzyme charts to see if there were any conflicts. (oaklily, this is where the liver enzyme information is most important.) Effexor is metabolized by the liver enzyme identified as P450 2D6.

Omeprazole is metabolized by P450 2C19 and 1A2.

Fluticasone effectively inactivates liver cytochrome P450 3A5.

Re mometasone http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00764

Upon in vitro incubation, one of the minor metabolites formed is 6ß-hydroxy-mometasone furoate. In human liver microsomes, the formation of the metabolite is regulated by cytochrome P-450 3A4.

According to dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/33/9/1283.full.pdf (PDF), Claritin (loratadine) is a substrate of CYP-450 3A4 and P450 2D6. This indicates a potential significant interaction with both Effexor and mometasone.

The itching may be caused by the Effexor-loratadine interaction, which is interfering with metabolism of Effexor. (By the way, I got liver damage from an interaction between Paxil and Claritin's brother, desloratidine.)

Why are you taking Claritin?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Wow a lot to absorb but I will.and re read a couple of times. But have some answers off the top of my head.

I know it took you long time to do this and I so appreciate it especially on Valentines Day.

Yes I have asthma but do NOT take the nasal spray daily, nor the inhalers but that's Was what was perscribed.I will stop the claritan also as it was me that requested it will see how I do without it.

The hydro..is for blood pressure and its all I take for it. B/P IS ALWAYS 130/70. I've been taking it for here maybe 15 yrs along with 25 milligrams zoloft of for fibromyalgia. Those 2 together worked so will.at least for me after 15 years Zoloft wasn't working so Dr upped it to 50 and still didn't help. Read now you can build up tolerance for it.

Used welbutrin for 2 months in Jan 2010 to stop smoking. Then they put me on

Savella- didn't help titrated slowly too

Celexa- didn't help

Vibbryd- couldn't tolerate and did titrate slowly less than real dosage for a few months

Then pristiq for 7 weeks now effextor 25/25 for 15 days.

I'll re read and comment later..

Oh Asacol is for microscopic colitis. I will stop the prilosec in the am as sure the GI would OK it

Thanks for caring so much.

Hi Gardner,

I'm sorry your move to CA has turned out to be a disappointment. I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs

Thanks Tezza--appreciate you support. I sure tomorrow is better too. Hated to miss our valentine dinner date.
  • Administrator

You might skip the Claritin for a few days and see if the itching is reduced.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

That's what I was going to do. The easiest one plus inhalers

I do have a pulmonologist as I have a history of lung issues in the family. Just had as lot of lung scans and kidney scans

and all was well. Kidney, for intercestial cystist. All heart test and scans/echo were good.

2 months ago huge amount of blood work done. Just low vit d and I also take 1,000 mg of D. ALSO TOOK 4 draws to culture for blood infections I think

Plus the caltrat DOESN'T HAVE THE VIT, SORRY

• Administrator

You can edit any of your posts within an hour. Click on the Edit button on the bottom.

Hi Judy,

I'm itchy too mostly at night. I can only assume that the itchies are due to weaning especially now that I see that others are itchy whilst tapering too. Not taking anything for it, just trying to stay cool by swimming after work and the fan on at night. It's pretty consistently hot downunder at the moment, a little unusual for beautiful Melbourne town which is famous for 4 seasons in one day! :)

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

Alto

The itching has been in creasing over the last few days.

Don't have in the mornings.

No other new meds add.

I do take slot of meds.

Judy

I'm itchy too!!

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

Thanks Mogfish

DAY 16

Alto,

I didn't take the prilosec or claritan this am. No pm pills last nite.

Itching, fast racing heart beat, adgation and shakes all evening.

Bed at 10:30 woke up 5 times during the note. This anxiety the worst ever had. I got up at 7

not going to put any more of this poison in my body right now.

this morning usually take a 25 at 8:00.I will take 1/2 later. I CAN'T take this constant anxiety. It's now 9:30 and not as anxious w/o 25 mg

Should call Dr and beg for apt but just no energy and anxiety coming back :(

I'm not sure I'm going to make it but if I battled c-diff 4 times I guess I can but just so TIRED of fighting for my health :(

• Administrator

Gardner, you took NONE of your pm pills last night?

Are the symptoms you had last night new symptoms?

Which medications did you take last night? What about the Effexor?

Please don't make huge changes in your medications all at once.

Save New list My drug list GARDNER

DAILY

Synthroid (levothyroxine) 1 100 MG AM

hydrochlorothiazide 1 25 MG AM

Asacol (mesalamine) 1 400 MG AM - PM

Claritin 24 Hour Allergy 1 10 MG AM

Caltrate calcium 600+D 1 600 MG PM

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) 1 20 MG AM - PM

Flovent HFA(fluticasone) 2 PUFFS AM - PM

ProAir HFA (albuterol) 2 PUFFS AS NEEDED

Nasonex(mometasonenasal) 1 SQUIRT EACH NOSTRIL AM

acetaminophen 2 EX STRENGTH BUT DON'T US IF USING ADVIL

diazepam 1 2.5 MG AS NEEDED AND DON'T USE OFTEN

Advil (ibuprofen) 1 200 MG A DAY IF NEEDED FOR BONE PAIN

Neurontin (gabapentin) 1 100 MG OR 2 PILLS AS NEEDED BUT NOT TAKING WITH EFFEXOR

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alto

Took the effexor 25 of course at 8:00. Thats wehen I got the heart palpations extreme anxiety itcvhing

Just didn't take

Prilosc

Vit D

Caltrate

Asacol

I was waiting to see what you wanted me yo do but damn tablet or phone didn't show your message

I was in charge of a movie group outing this am and just canceled as waiting from word from you but know you have a life other than this

I will be awaiting to hear what you say.

Afraid to call Dr ad I didn't do what he said

Just took syn thyroid, ASA col hydro this am

No clartiatyin'or allergy sprasys or inhalers

I know if I stop all won't know what is helping but feel every safe getting rid of these

Will keep checking site

Still haven't taken 1/2 of 25

Hope yo hear

Will check site myself

Yes last note symptoms were getting increasingly worse over last 3 days

Didn't like pristyiq as made me asleep now this is just 24/7 anxiety with effexor have never been stable on it and never helped.

It's just poisoning me

• Administrator

Don't you need the Asacol to treat a medical condition?

It would be best to cut the Prilosec by a quarter at a time, to avoid rebound heartburn.

Yes, I would reduce Effexor as you've done, but cutting one of the two 25mg doses in half. Personally, I would reduce the evening dose rather than the morning dose.

I did n' Add

Imodium 2 tables just had fast soft stools last 4 days

lomotil 20 mg

These as needed never in the same day

Bio-k + 15 billion daily 1 tablet in am daily

need to add to my list

Eating some yogert and took pro biotic this am

Just saw this

Agree will take 1/2 in pm better but just today take in am

Yes Asacol but GI told me I could adjust as symptoms indicated

The priloc is a capsule

didn't know about rebound

So I will not call the Dr ?

I am still hyper but not like before and know it's b/c I didn't tasks the effector.taking 1/2 now

The 2.5 Valium is OK to take now as didn't see a problem with list yesterday

Know it's a muscle relaxer but can't add anxiety can it/?

Never ever has before in all the years I took this small dose never took a 5mg

• Administrator

Gardner, I'm finding it difficult to interpret those posts you're making from your phone.

This process is too complicated to do like this.

I'm so sorry I was using the nexus 7 pad as I am now.

Are you not seeing the posts clearly or is it what I am saying that is not clear.

I will try to move to the computer if its what you need me to do to help make it easier for you.

• Administrator

Please use complete sentences. I have to ask questions for clarification and it's frustrating. I don't understand what you're saying about the Imodium and the 1/2 tablet.

You need to taper Prilosec. If I were you, I'd open the Prilosec OTC capsule, carefully pour half out, put the capsule back together, and take the other half. Do this for a week. Then pour more out (3/4), take 1/4 capsule for a week. Then stop.

If you're taking this kind of prescription Prilosec:

http://www.drugs.com/prilosec.html

You may open the Prilosec delayed-release capsule and sprinkle the medicine into a spoonful of applesauce to make swallowing easier. Swallow this mixture right away without chewing. Do not save the mixture for later use. Discard the empty capsule.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the great tips.

Will get some lunch and go to the computer.

As usual, the Dr is off today until Wednesday.

Hi Gardner, I empathize with Alto. I've had difficulty as well, and I'm not trying to track multiple meds. Are you able to get to the computer at least once, maybe twice a day so as to exclusively post from there? And only use the phone for reading messages?

The 2.5 Valium is OK to take now as didn't see a problem with list yesterday

Know it's a muscle relaxer but can't add anxiety can it/?

Never ever has before in all the years I took this small dose never took a 5mg

I don't know what you mean here.. does this mean you did not take the 2.5 mgs of valium yesterday, and you may have had resulting anxiety today because of a missed dose? If so, please know this is probable. Don't underestimate the effect a benzo may have if you have been on for a prolonged period.. a year or more.

Please do not respond to this message until you get to the desktop PC, okay? I had to guess to figure out the meaning of your message above, and Alto is trying to track all your medications.

I'm glad you shared the story about your relocation to CA from PA. What a sad story. Most unfortunate.

Skyler

PS.. meds like Pepcid can cause wicked rebound heartburn, so you need to follow Alto's advice on terminating.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I just wrote 1/2 hr worth of replies and when to spell check and lost it all

I did take the 1/2 of 5 mgs valium ( 2.5 ) yesterday and b/c of the horrid hyper/anxiety all day i took a total of 3 1/2s. Never have done that before.

I'll be happy to add more meds that confused you both.

I will do as you asked with the prilosec

My phone isn't getting email so will be using this computer.

Judy

• Moderator Emeritus

Judy, how are you saving your work? Are you using the basic windows capacity? I have a small program that is very easy to use and will PM the name to you. Thanks for using the computer.

Skyler

Judy, how are you saving your work? Are you using the basic windows capacity? I have a small program that is very easy to use and will PM the name to you. Thanks for using the computer.

Skyler

My drug list Judy xxxxxx 3

acetaminophen

diazepam

hydrochlorothiazide

Advil (ibuprofen)

Asacol (mesalamine)

Bio-K+ Extra Strength (lactobacillus acidophilus / lactobacillus casei)

Caltrate 600+D Plus Minerals (multivitamin with minerals)

Claritin 24 Hour Allergy (loratadine)

Effexor (venlafaxine)

Flovent HFA (fluticasone)

Imodium (loperamide)

Lomotil (atropine / diphenoxylate)

Nasonex (mometasone nasal)

Neurontin (gabapentin)

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole)

ProAir HFA (albuterol)

Synthroid (levothyroxine)

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)

Edited by Altostrata
masked identifying information
  • Administrator

Thank you. Which are occasional or as needed?

My drug list Gardner 3

DAILY AM

Synthroid (levothyroxine) 1 100 mg pill

hydrochlorothiazide 1- 25 pill

Asacol (mesalamine) ½ pill

Bio-K+ Extra Strength (lactobacillus acidophilus / lactobacillus casei) 1 pill

Effexor 25 mg

DAILY PM

Caltrate 600+D 1 pill

Effexor (venlafaxine) 25 or 1/2

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 1 pill

Priosec ½ capsule

AS NEEDED

acetaminophen

diazepam

Advil (ibuprofen)

Imodium (loperamide)

Neurontin (gabapentin)

ProAir HFA (albuterol)

I pray this will help

I have been at the computer all afternoon

I will be back to ck

I will be doing the priloc tonight like you said.

I am debating what to take for effexor.

Just can't stand going crazy again tonight as afternoon has been so much better.

Guess i should take a 25 effexor :(

Judy

Skyler

My drug list Judy Lockyer 3

acetaminophen

diazepam

hydrochlorothiazide

Advil (ibuprofen)

Asacol (mesalamine)

Bio-K+ Extra Strength (lactobacillus acidophilus / lactobacillus casei)

Caltrate 600+D Plus Minerals (multivitamin with minerals)

Effexor (venlafaxine)

Imodium (loperamide)

Neurontin (gabapentin)

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole)

ProAir HFA (albuterol)

Synthroid (levothyroxine)

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)

I didn't think this went as an attachment. Good Grief

i couldn't see in this box

It will take me some time getting used to this site and my computer as it is not stll working properly.

Was wondering if i was having an allergic reaction last 2 nites to this effexor as i've never had this before.

Dr office called back at 4:00 and said " go to ER if you are having issues, and NO he doesn't have a opening to see me on Wed when he comes back" :blink:

Skyler