Gardner off Pristiq

Gardner

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler

I save to email as I can't save to WORD right now.

Check out the program I sent you a PM about. It's a clip board extender and will allow you to save as you enter into anything you are working on, including the forum. I absolutely loathe losing info, so save to this program. Yeah, I still lose some, but a fraction of what I once did.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gardner

• Altostrata

• Skyler

• tezza

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Skyler

Husband trying to fix computer all nite so must use tablet.

Took just another 1/2 effexor at 10:00

Calm and no itching.

Will let you know how the night goes

I took the night Telus as Alto suggested.

Nite

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Skyler

Calm and no itching.

I took the night Telus as Alto suggested.

Nite

Gardner,

You are a sweetie. A most likeable sort. Hope your husband is good to. LOL, give him a hello for me?

Glad there is no itch. Hope your night was good.

Skyler

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks Skyler

Calm and no itching.

I took the night as prilsoc as Alto suggested.

Nite

• Administrator

I'm sorry Gardner, I've lost track of what you're taking for Effexor. You keep on referring to 1/2 tablet and I don't know what that means.

As I understand it, you've been taking 25mg in the a.m. and 25mg in the p.m.

My suggestion was to take 25mg in the a.m. and 12.5mg in the p.m.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

You are correct Alto that was your suggestion.

Sorry I have to use tablet right now.

last night was the first night in 4 nights I slept through the night.

Will go to computer for details but to answer your question

I only took the 12.5 this am to see how I handled it. It am going to wait another hr and take the other 12.5.

Frankly I'm afraid I might be having an allergic reaction to this drug and I want to take it slow.

• Administrator

Yes, that is why I suggested reducing your total daily dosage to 37.5mg Effexor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I don't remember you ever suggesting that 37.5 be the total amount for the whole day.

That is the time released correct?

I guess based on your suggestion of being able to cut the 25 mg of effexor I would have more control.

I'll watch for your answer. You were right about the prilosec

:-)

• Administrator

Are you taking timed-release Effexor?

25mg plus 12.5mg = 37.5mg.

If you're not taking 37.5mg per day, how much are you taking?

NO I am not taking time release.

I guess that is what I will be taking.

I just was doing it in 3 parts. I am worried about a reaction as I have been to ER with reactions before.

Not a good idea to do in 3 doses? I am tasking second dose now as its been 6 he's.

I was trying to see if ears stopped ringing by not taking 25 in am but it comes and goes and are ringing now after the morning 12.5.

Jim can't get to the computer problem I will try to delete the notices for you.

Let me know what you think. My personal pharmatist called this am and said 25 am 12.5 pm was OK or 3 doses at 12.5 OK to.

• Administrator

Yes, you can take it in 3 parts.

The ear ringing may be from the Pristiq withdrawal. When did it start?

It will take your nervous system time to adjust to all the changes in medication. That is why we urge people not to make big changes.

Yes, you can take it in 3 parts.

The ear ringing may be from the Pristiq withdrawal. When did it start?

It will take your nervous system time to adjust to all the changes in medication. That is why we urge people not to make big changes.

Thanks ear ringing a couple of days ago off and on
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thanks ear ringing a couple of days ago off and on

Tinnitus can be like that when it's flickering out, the windows and waves pattern. Tinnitus is my most prominent WD symptom, and there are a number of others here with it as well.. unfortunately you have lots of company!.. and it sounds like yours is on the run. Yes!

Thanks Skyler for the link

I've been doing a lot of reading on here today

Just reinforces this is going to be a long haul that I have to be prepared to do :)

• Moderator Emeritus

we don't have much choice do we?

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

DAY 18 Sunday

Alto, hope my account is still not bouncing. I just wasn't up to posting here yesterday or fight with the computer

Yesterday was a bad one.

Did other meds on list as we discussed. Forgot nite doses :( but no reflux.

Took 2-12.5 doses 6 hr's apart and at 11:30 pm took 6.5 for a total of 31 for the day. Was afraid to take more because of itching and some anxiety and am afraid I might be having a reaction to effexor.

I am anxious this am but could get right out of bed. Heart beating not as fast. I am anxious shakey and unfocused.

Just no ambition to do anything.

Since I am tapering so fast I'm just trying to let the days go and chalk it up to w/d and wait till Dr is back on Wed or call the Dr service or go to Er.

BUT MY PLAN TODAY

is to tough it out as all of you guys do daily

At least I have support here since I seem to be getting emails now. Who knows why

Love some encouragement :-)

• Administrator

The mail bouncing is not your fault, Gardner. It has to do with this site's hosting service.

Please be VERY consistent in your Effexor dosing. Irregular dosing affects your heartbeat and sleep. Your reduction to 37.5mg should take effect in a few days. If the problem is the Effexor, the itching should be diminished.

The mail bouncing is not your fault, Gardner. It has to do with this site's hosting service.

Please be VERY consistent in your Effexor dosing. Irregular dosing affects your heartbeat and sleep. Your reduction to 37.5mg should take effect in a few days. If the problem is the Effexor, the itching should be diminished.

Thanks Alto

I'm so glad to know that it wasn't my fault.

Ae we still not getting alerts?

I just came on to change my computer and found you just posted this but didn't get email alert. I have been trying to enlarge the fonts so i can read easier. I highlighted and hit the sizes drop down but it didn't work.

I will be very consistent with the effexor 12.5 three times a day and will take nite pills as listed before esp prilosec. Only taking the synthroid, 1/2 capsule of prilosec, hydro, asacol in am.

So the itching will be DIMINISHED IN 3 DAYS or will be deminishing during these 3 days? You can tell I am concerned about possible reaction to it as I have said that I have been to ER with adverse reactions to most abx. I react to all but vancomycin and Z pack.

Thanks for understanding my concern on this matter. I have been monitoring my heart beats but can't do blood pressure as cuff won't reach around

my arm.

Thanks for this info. Guess if the emails alerts are down I will just keep checking the site.

Are there any other tips other than deep breathing and meditation and the nice site you have posted on this site ...that you have for me?

Don't know what I'd do without this site over this long holiday weekend. :) Hope you have a good day.

Alto, Could Gardners symptoms be due to a reaction to effexor? I reacted to effexor several years ago experiencing rapid heart rate, itching,sweats, anxiety and nausea and vomiting. These symptoms started about 7 to 10 days into commencement of the medication. I had to stop taking it because of these symptoms. If Gardner is having a reaction to effexor would it be better for her to continue on 37.5 mg or reduce the dose?

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

Alto, Could Gardners symptoms be due to a reaction to effexor? I reacted to effexor several years ago experiencing rapid heart rate, itching,sweats, anxiety and nausea and vomiting. These symptoms started about 7 to 10 days into commencement of the medication. I had to stop taking it because of these symptoms. If Gardner is having a reaction to effexor would it be better for her to continue on 37.5 mg or reduce the dose?

Thanks for sharing your experience mogfish. Appreciate your concern. Mine seem to start on maybe the 12th day I think. Thank God today has been better.

Took the second 12.5 6 hr's after am.

Time will tell. I don't take anything for granted anymore.

I did take separately a acedemediphen and 2.5 Valium.

Judy

DAY 19 Monday

Yesterday was a better day in total.

Itching around dinner but was better at bed time.

Took 12.5 am 12.5 at 2:00 and 6.5 at 11:00.

Only woke up once and back to sleep.

Used the bathroom at 6:00 and back to sleep till 8:00 And anxiety hit but didn't stay in bed so that's 2 days of getting right up.

Resting pulse rate is 92. So I'm guessing that the hyper/anxiety is to be expected as my w/d has been so rapid. It calmed down yesterday after I took morning 12.5 dose.

Alto I would sure appreciate your input if you have the time. Wonder too why itching only at nite? I would think that was a good sign.

Hope to hear from some of you out there please. Your comments so appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Gardner,

You need to STICK to a dosing schedule. You've been changing it about and that is very confusing to your nervous system.

Choose whatever dosing schedule you need to be on (per advice Alto has given you) and stay at that dose and schedule for as long as it takes for your nervous system to settle down.

The way you keep changing your dose is only going to cause more problems. Your nervous system doesn't know what to expect and is responding accordingly.

Take the same dose at the same time every day.

The itching could be an allergic reaction to just about anything. There's really no way to determine if its from the medicine or not. It's possible, but it's also possible it could be from the detergent you are using.

An allergy can just show up one day even with things you haven't been allergic to before.

Wishing you well :rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not saying you need to change anything you are doing, just saying give yourself some time and you will eventually adjust. I know it's difficult because we want to FIX things.

Be patient and be gentle with yourself. It just doesn't happen overnight.

I really do hope you feel relief soon!

Thanks Tezza

I am sticking to my schedule like Alto said.

Your email was encouraging. Now have headache on top of head like I did when starting drug.

Will use a ice pack and hope not to use Advil as I can take 1 a day but have not been taking for fibro or bone pain...as don't want to put drugs in system right now.

thanks again for your encouragement.

• Moderator Emeritus

You are very welcome, Gardner. If I got better, and I did, you can too! Try not to worry about it too much. I know that's not easy but try to do something to rest your mind from the whole WD thing.

Maybe you could get a little indoor plant box and start some seeds to set out later. I know you must really miss gardening.

Hugs

• Administrator

It's a good sign your itching has diminished.

I thought you were going to stay at 12.5mg, 12.5mg, and 12.5mg for a bit?

Gardner, it's important you stay at ONE DOSAGE PATTERN for about 4 days at least. PICK ONE AND STAY AT IT.

mogfish -- yes, I think Gardner may be having an adverse reaction to Effexor. My suggestions are to find the minimum dosage that will assist the Pristiq withdrawal symptoms and cause the least reactions.

You are very welcome, Gardner. If I got better, and I did, you can too! Try not to worry about it too much. I know that's not easy but try to do something to rest your mind from the whole WD thing.

Maybe you could get a little indoor plant box and start some seeds to set out later. I know you must really miss gardening.

Hugs

Thanks Tezza

GREAT IDEA. Before the w/d got a tall indoor plant stand and added 3 plants. For Christmas I got a herb kit so I'm ready to go. Must not let this consume me. !!! Right., your success inspires me to conque this too. :-)

It's a good sign your itching has diminished.

I thought you were going to stay at 12.5mg, 12.5mg, and 12.5mg for a bit?

Gardner, it's important you stay at ONE DOSAGE PATTERN for about 4 days at least. PICK ONE AND STAY AT IT.

mogfish -- yes, I think Gardner may be having an adverse reaction to Effexor. My suggestions are to find the minimum dosage that will assist the Pristiq withdrawal symptoms and cause the least reactions.

Thanks both of you. I agree with remaining on the same schedule.

I was trying to stay with a exact schedule. At nite, when the itching started, I decides to cut the dose to 6.5 to see if it would help and it seemed to. So that dose above is 2 days. Not sure why I have such a headache today maybe the drastic temp change or w/d.

Going to TRY to stop obsessing about this. :(

Thanks for the support on possible effexor reaction. That is what is causing the anxiety and with Dr off, he is the only one in office who knows how drug sensitive I am.

DAY 20 TUESDAY

Embarrassed to even post. I think looking over notes I am on day 3 of 31 mgs in 3 doses.

Was praying that today anxiety would be better and it's not. Feel so hyper. I have keep dosing consistent. Don't know if I should go to unknown Dr to get blood pressure checked.

What can they suggest if I am having intolerance to effexor?

Ideas? I am trying not of obsess I really am

• Moderator Emeritus

DAY 20 TUESDAY

Embarrassed to even post. I think looking over notes I am on day 3 of 31 mgs in 3 doses.

Was praying that today anxiety would be better and it's not. Feel so hyper. I have keep dosing consistent. Don't know if I should go to unknown Dr to get blood pressure checked.

Gardner, I know you are concerned about a possible allergy to effexor, but you need be mindful the clock starts all over, with even more symptoms for good measure, every time you drop the dose. So while your journal may go back 3 weeks, your internal clock goes back 3 days. Please follow Alto's advice without any embellishments. If you are considering an additional change, run it by her first.

PS For the record, it's better to round the decimal points up.

DAY 20 TUESDAY

Gardner, I know you are concerned about a possible allergy

your internal clock goes back 3 days.

For the record, it's better to round up for the decimal points. Please follow Alto's advice without any embellishments. If you are considering an additional change, run it by her first.

What do you mean ..embellishments ? Not sure what you mean ?

I am sticking with this dose and not change as per Alto

Will run all by her.

Just hate the racing heart.

Thanks for answering

• Moderator Emeritus

For the record, it's better to round up for the decimal points. Please follow Alto's advice without any embellishments. If you are considering an additional change, run it by her first.

Embellishment.. just a turn of phrase.. another way of saying make any changes, which you have already decided not to do. Way to gooo!!

I'm not an expert on effexor WD, but maybe your racing heart is due to WD?

I guess there isn't anything to do for this but tough it out. :(

alto said changes in dose would cause the heartbeat issues and sleep changes. Nite sleep is OK but try to sleep during day and hyperness interferes.

Thanks Skyler

Gardner,

The racing heart, anxiety and feeling hyper are all very common withdrawal symptoms. My heart raced at 90-100bpm for the first few months during and after taper. It raced for a few hours after waking. I stayed in hyper mode all day and slept about 4 hours per night, waking at 4am.

After approximately 5 months off, i fell into hypo mode. Everything slowed down: heart rate, blood pressure, energy, MOOD. I think (HOPE) i am finally seeing some light. It's dim, but i think i can see it, at almost 2 years after my last dose. It's been very difficult.

Hang in there. It's critical to stay consistent in your dosing to minimize symptoms and long term withdrawal like mine.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).