rosebuddy: taking multiple drugs with side effects

rosebuddy

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry but there seems to be some sort of miscommunication :( I read through my post to check if I gave any advice on which drug to taper first and I didn't. You are probably referring to advice you got some time before? 

I don't have enough experience to give any advice on such complex situations with so many drugs and major interactions between them (I ran your drugs through the drug interactions checker and 3 major interactions appeared). We will have to wait for someone with more experience to advise on which drug to tackle first. What was said earlier might no longer apply so it would be good to put the update of your most recent drug situation in the signature. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Here are the results of the drug interactions checker, only the three major interactions. The rest of the list is too long :(. If I were you I wouldn't seek advice from a doctor that put me on such combination :(

Wait for answers and plan carefully before making any change.

bupropion ↔ oxycodone

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Percocet (acetaminophen / oxycodone)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with oxyCODONE. BuPROPion alone can cause seizures, especially at higher dosages, and combining it with oxyCODONE may increase that risk. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-3-big.png bupropion ↔ cyclobenzaprine

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with cyclobenzaprine. BuPROPion alone can cause seizures, especially at higher dosages, and combining it with cyclobenzaprine may increase that risk. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-3-big.png bupropion ↔ aripiprazole

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Abilify (aripiprazole)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with ARIPiprazole. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of ARIPiprazole, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional in

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. 

1995 xanax used Ashton method tapered from 80mg to 30 mg of valium. Then back up to 40mg July 2014.
1996 Wellbutrin increased gradually by my Psych to 450XL, 
1998 Abilify 10 mg, then cut to 5mg then back up to 10 mg. in July 2014
2004 Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia weight 124
2004 Oxycodone 10/325 4 x a day as needed, at present (10/17) I am taking 4x a day
2004 Flexeril 20mg at night to help me sleep
2004 Lamictal 200 mg at night
2012 Buspar: tapered off 3/13

10/14 current wt 205

BIGGEST CONCERN: CHRONIC, ACUTE SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS

• Administrator

I had suggested an order to go off drugs more than a year ago.

rosebuddy, please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

The following drugs you're taking are all CNS depressants: Xanax, oxycodone, Flexeril, Lamictal. It's a wonder you can walk.

Our list of doctors is here http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

Did one doctor prescribe all these drugs? He may be a nice person but that is irresponsible. You may need to phone around and interview doctors to find one that might help you minimize drugs -- and even then, it's likely you'll have to figure out how to taper on your own.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

Well, I'm back after 4 years. Don't remember initial advice, I know i accidentally took 200 mg lamictal, instead of the two 400 mg. 2 days ago and felt all wired out until I took the other 200 mg tablet. How do you taper by 10%. I took 30.5 Valium last night instead of the normal 40. I have been up since 2 a.m.I forgot how to list the meds I'm on at the the bottom of each post. I have had 2 doctors tell me to get off the valium, the percocet,, and adderal 10 mg. (I fell asleep at the wheel and had 1 accident. I have to pull off the road and take a nap when i feel sleepy driving." I stopped the adderal because both docs( 1 my PcP and the other my medical mariuana doctor) said it was like I was using downers and then adderal  as an upper. My psychiatrist is well-known, he wrote a book that has been translated into many lanuages. Still, he gives me all psych meds. I have CRS (Can't remember s***) Terrible memory. he will give me what drugs i want.  I cut the Percocet down to 5mg to 10mg once a day. The directions are 10mg every 4 hours and i took it even if i wasn't in pain. .I get this from my pain mgmt doctor. I have clinical depression and tried to get off the Wellbutrin and couldn't get out of bed. Also off coffee so there's another chemical that was keeping me "up" during the day. I am sleepy a lot. My previous psychiatrist told me I would always be on valium the rest of my life. I am 56.

What a mess. Help needed. Thanks for still being here.

This is what I take at bedtime

Lamictal 400mg 

Abilify 5 mg. (causes very dry mouth during the day--bad breath)

Valium four 10mg tablets

Also 20 mg flexeril for fibro, but I don't know if it really works, have been on it since 2004

In the morning:

350 Wellbutrin ER

150  Wellbutrin XR and vitamins

I tapered off the Percocet 10mg to 5  to 10mg 1 time per day if i just cannot shake the pain. 

I vape Medical Marijuana as needed for pain. My pain is gone within seconds. It has less than 0.072 percent THC. Just a trace amount. I use it for deep muscle pain for fibromyalgia instead of the percocet.which gave me energy.

Thanks for any advice and please tell me how to list the meds at the bottom of my posts.  

I don't want to be too down or too up. I take care of my grandbaby. I have been on these doses for at least 5 years, the wellbutrin since 2003 and xanax then valium instead for about 6 years. I understand that all of these are not psych meds but they do affect my mood. I have fallen asleep 4 times since starting this post.

1995 xanax used Ashton method tapered from 80mg to 30 mg of valium. Then back up to 40mg July 2014.
2004 Oxycodone 10/325 4 x a day as needed, at present (10/17) I am taking 4x a day

10/14 current wt 205

• ChessieCat changed the title to rosebuddy: taking multiple drugs with side effects
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi rosebuddy and welcome back.

Please update your signature by following these instructions. Thank you.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 5 years later...
On 2/4/2013 at 6:28 PM, rosebuddy said:

15 drug interactions with my 7 meds!

10/14 current wt 205