SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Janie: is there any treatment for protracted withdrawal

Janie

Janie,

How are you doing? I searched your thread looking for some information on saffron. Did you restart your b-vitamin? I think it could be significant that you felt worse when you weren't taking it... Please leave an update if you get the chance. Hope you are feeling okay.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Janie

• Altostrata

• Lexy

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi JAnie

I am also on Effexor. Do you mind posting me asking how you tapered off?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Thanks Alex and Lexy.  I am taking B complex again and feeling better, but the 'better' could be from a variety of things. # 1, it's now been over a year from my being totally off effexor so I think it is time for the healing to be finally coming along. I have suffered during this, the longest most miserable year of my life but made gradual progress to get to this point. #2 I had my thyroid medicine increased and since then the recovery has seemed to speed up, so I THINK that helped! I might try to get it increased again, but may not need to try that since I am feeling so much better and each week seems better now.  #3 My doctor put me on Amoxocillin (sp?) in case I have Lyme disease. Test was negative, but there are many false negatives for this, and since lyme can affect your mental state and I think maybe the heart (my 2 biggest symptoms) she agreed to give me the antibiotic treatment.  So, 3 weeks into that I am feeling better so THAT could be what's helping. I also pray a lot so have to say it doesn't matter what exactly is working, just that prayers are being answered and I am so glad I didn't give up any of the times I felt like I should give up and go back on a med! I pray this is not just some huge window. I realize there are still ups and downs but compared to even 2 months ago I am soo farther up and so less down. It is wonderful. I am still getting the some pain in the gut / solar plexis/ and or heart area. If I don't have that, I am likely to feel depressed. But there are more hours in more days when I have neither.  The anxiety is now at a level that responds more to my attempts to control it.  Or else my brain has healed enough to re-balance when the anxiety starts up.  When I get jittery, it seems I can tamp it down by my thinking, by deep breathing, or if it's pretty bad, by lying down and relaxing and breathing.  Spouse massage, hugging my pillow, getting mind on something to keep it active, all are more effective than they used to be.  I can entertain more positive thoughts and hopes than before. My problems and worries are not the dire emergencies and tragedies they felt like before.  At least most of the time.  I am worried about winter and dead looking trees, cold gloomy days, stuck inside , short days and long nights etc etc, but am trying to not dwell on that and hope for feeling better before the deep dark winter sets in. 

I urge anyone going throught WD to consider thyroid problems.  I think having the thyroid off could be a contributing factor to our symptoms. Even though anxiety is usually a hyperthyroid symptom, it CAN also be caused by hypo thyroidism. Lyme disease is rather common and the symptoms are different for each person. Ask for an antibiotic as a trial like I did. I don't think it would cause any problems except that it destroys good flora in the gut, so you have to eat lots of yogurt or take 20 to 30 billion strong pro-biotic.  I think one or both of these treatments have helped me.

Lexy, the way I tapered was to get my perscription changed to non-time released tablets. My doctor said effexor only had capsules but she was wrong. I asked the pharmacist and found out there are tablets.  So I switched to tablets, I think I took it 2 times a day since there is no time-release.  Then I used a pill splitter to cut the tablets and tapered . It was not very exact since the tablets crumble and later I tried to weigh the crumbs on a scale but I didn't have a very accurate scale.  I would recommend trying to get a very delicate scale or some way to measure crushed tablets as a powder so you can do it more exactly. Anyway, I did my taper from 75 down to nothing in about 3 months. I thought that was slow, but obviously it was way too fast for me since I have suffered enormously from withdrawal. I would suggest you devise a taper lasting a year.  While I was tapering I had brain zaps and other unpleasant effects, but that was expected.  I could work and function so I thought I was doing okay.  I had more energy and lost stubborn weight as soon as i was off it. I could wake up and feel alert in the morning. My restless leg syndrome was GONE and has stayed gone.  About a month or so later I started feeling depressed off and on. Then it was all the time. About 4 or 5 months after stopping the anxiety started. Anyway, I suggest you just go super slow with the withdrawal if you've been on effexor (or any other AD's) for more than a year or two. I think the longer you have been on them, and the more kinds of psych meds you have subjected the brain to, the more likely you might be to have bad and long WD symptoms. Just what I think I have read. Good luck. Hopefully you will be lucky and have a very easy withdrawal.

I wrote before about my slow heart beat.  It's still slow. I had bad heart flutters and one time, maybe it was a panic attack I don't know but I almost went to the emergency room. A 24 hour holter monitor only caught one missed heart beat since it was a good day for me. I asked for and got a month long monitor, which I have now. I've recorded some possible heart flutters, but haven't had any major scary episodes like that one time, probably because that was directly stress related and my anxiety has improved.  I am more concerned with this slow heart beat than ocassional stress-related flutters. If I exercise more than gently, I get out of breath, feel weak, and even feel faint and sleepy.  Even at rest, at times I feel I am not getting enough air. I used to think it was because the heartbeat was so slow, but now I'm wondering if that feeling was because of muscular tension around my lung and breathing muscles.  My theory is my body has slowed my heart in an attempt to calm everything down and counter-balance the extreme anxiety I've had all these months.  With the anxiety finally subsiding, I really think my body will re-adjust and heart beat will return to normal.  That is my hope.  The cardiologist doesn't have anything to offer to treat slow heart beat. I think they only give you oxygen if it's so slow you frequently faint and have foggy thinking.  Fortunately I am not that bad, at least yet. 

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

I am so happy to hear you are doing much better. You are a kind and thoughtful person.

You just give me hope

That there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I was at 150 for 6 weeks a year ago this month and cut my dose to 75mg after

I started feeling more anxiety. It took 3 months in bed to somewhat stabilize.

I feel I've been tapering so slow. Since Jan 2013 I've tapered from 75 to 48.75.

Is that too quick?

For the past two days I've had like a migraine headache. My forehead over my eyes

Is throbbing. I feel nausea, achy, dizzy. For the last two weeks I've had crying spells over

Nothing. For the past 2 and half weeks Ive stopped tapering.

I just don't know what to do.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Well if  you wanted to taper over a year, then 6 months from January would be July at half of the 75 you had in Jan so you are about on track.  BUT #1, I am not sure a year is slow enough, #2 I guess the last part of the taper perhaps should be slower than the first part.  I think the body has  trouble going completely off. I know someone who has gotten down to a crumb and is having trouble going to nothing.  So I would slow down on the reductions from now on.  Stretch it out if you are suffering a lot. If you haven't stabilize for 2 weeks, it's smart to not reduce more.  You might could go back up.  i think I had periods of almost 2 weeks with no window. If you don't improve soon, even with a temporary window, consider going back up a tad.

Have you read that some folks say switching to prozac is an easier way to withdraw?  I wish I had tried that. Although it's scary to subject the brain to yet another formula, I've heard it can make the transition easier due to the better half life of prozac ( longer or shorter I forget what). Maybe you could look into that and see if folks on this site have discussed it. Why did you switch from prozac and could you consider switching back?

I can only say to reduce ever so slowly.  It seems wise to wait until there are no WD effects for some good time before reducing it again. I would have rather tapered over 2 years or whatever it took and survived with only brain zaps and headaches, than to go through 1.5 years of the misery I have had of intense depression and anxiety, feeling like I cannot function, cannot cook, clean, barely groom, barely function at work, not much reason to live, just hoping healing will be forthcoming. Thank God they are right that time does heal.  The brain cells seem to rebuild very slowly.  Do all you can to build the brain - eat healthy whole foods, berries and walnuts are brain food, and exercise as much as you feel up to.

Exercise and also acupuncture helped me with depression and the anxiety. It might get you through this current slump.  Are you taking B vitamins. I think that helps depression. Have you had Vit D checked? low D can also contribute to depression. I took L-Tryptophan for several months and I think it helped my depression. In fact I bought a huge bottle and never used them all. I should give to someone. I know it's not winter yet, but maybe those SAD lights could help. You have to fight with everything you can come up with. That is what got me through this. Maybe everything didn't work, but each new thing I tried gave me hope and kept me going. If you have actual things in life to cause depression, of course you need to address that and get counseling if possible. That is another big thing I did and am doing because I have very real stressors and depressing things going on.

I am no expert and it's hard to know what to say except give a few ideas and tell you what has helped me.  I have noticed when I felt really bad and could not take it much more, my body would seem to recover a bit. Like it was tired of the horrible effects and had to improve to like take a rest!  Hopefully you will get into a good period soon.

I wish you hope, health and healing!! Let me know how it goes.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Janie,

I wanted to check in and see how you are doing?

Thanks Lexy. I've been thinking of you and wondering if your headaches are better or gone.  How are you doing otherwise?

I've had ups and downs. Had a very bad down a few days ago. Felt like giving up. This life is not worth it. But I did feel better the next day. Everyday is such a struggle if not all day, then part of the day, to cope and function like a normal person. I'm sooo tired of it.  I know I'm better than I was 6 months ago, so I have to remind myself of that, but it's still pretty bad a lot of the time and I'm not feeling as good as I was about 2 months ago.  I'm not eating well again. I just have no interest in food.

The month long heart monitor test is over, but doctor can't meet for consultation until oct 16. I doubt they will have any answers or treatments.  I doubt the monitor was even picking up more than a few skipped beats. Aside from skipped beats, I don't like the feeling of pressure and that my pulse is weak at times. Sometimes every few beats will be a strong beat, mixed with many beats I can barely detect with my finger. On the pulse ox device we have, the line barely moves and then everynow and then it will move well with a strong beat. I really don't think it is the way my finger is in the device, because I can also detect this irregularity by just feeling my pulse. I suspect the monitor only records the beats/skipped beats, not the strength of beats. so they will say I'm fine, just a few skipped beats once in a while.  But I know it's more than that, but I'm not sure I captured those times on the monitor recordings. I feel okay most of the time but sometimes it's quite scary and distressing. Even if they confirm a problem, I'd be afraid to take any med to speed up or regulate my heart. I just want to know if they think I will get better or worse and should I try to exercise more or less. I know stress and nervousness can cause palpitations but why is my heart beat only in the 40's even though I have anxiety? I want to ask about dysautonomia but I suspect the doctor will not confirm or explain it since few doctors are knowledgeable about it. I might have to have an operation in the next year or two and need to know if it will be safe to do so.

The weekends are worse for me. I miss the busyness and structure of being at work. I have pretty bad anxiety and depression together! The contant 'butteflies in stomach' nervousness, nerves tingly and painful all over, general gloom and brain pain is pretty bad today.  I don't feel up to doing anything constructive. I did go walking and later swam and that helped.  I'm reading "Proof of Heaven" by the neurosurgeon who was in a coma for 7 days and should have died or had brain damage but instead recovered and told of his experiences in the world of the afterlife.  It is encouraging to read and think that there is a reason for all the suffering on earth, or that at least that someday we will escape it and can be in a safe and loving place.

I hope you're having some good days lately. Let me know how you are.

When I first started having anxiety and panic attacks I thought I was having heart attack.

I had to wait to have it checked out until my mother added me to insurance plan.

All that time I kept feeling as if I needed air and shallow breaths, felt like needles going through my chest area.

I went to see a GP and he said my EKG look abnormal. That just shot my anxiety through the roof. I was getting panic attacks, and just listening for every little pain or rapid or slow breaths. GP sent me to a cardiologist who later

Said my heart was fine.

When you are busy and focused in other things do you feel these things going as much as when you aren't busy?

What do you mean about the brain pain? Are you talking about the dreadful brain zaps?

I hope you will hear good news soon.

I also read in somebody else's post about the skipped beats. I don't remember whose, but maybe if you search "skipped heartbeats" you will something.

I will check in with you again soon.

Please do not ever give up.

I awoke at 3:30. Insomnia getting worse and worse lately. For a few months I was able to sleep until  5 and then starting waking at 4 and now I wake up about 3 or 3:30. I have to look into going back on something. I just feel I can't go on. I fear its getting worse again.  I have a lot of stressors in my life and I will be unable to deal with it all unless I'm on something. I don't know how to figure out the safest med to take. I feel there is really no one to help me.  Family and friends give a little encouragement here and there but I feel like I need an intervention or something. My house is a mess. I am barely maintaining my house, myself, my health - eating poorly, lost a bill and almost had our car insurance discontinued. Husband is a hoarder and I can't counter act that anymore. I've gone to a number of counselors but they don't seem to know how to truly help me. I considered calling a suicide line just to talk to someone .I'm not suicidal but feel I could get there soon.  I don't want to be put in a facility because they will put me on meds that will mess me up more. I don't see a way out of this mess.  I know I will probably feel better and even good in another day or so, but that doesn't prevent another return to this lowest dark place of misery and suffering the next day.  It's a constant roller coaster and I just want to get off.

The tension in my gut and chest are so high I can't sleep. I start to dream but don't feel really asleep. After a few seconds it seems I am awake again. It's as if only part of my brain starts dreaming but anothre part stays awake.

I get overwhelmed trying to read other people's posts - what might work for insomnia, calmness, etc etc.  There are no clear answers.  Sometimes i feel encouraged to know others know exactly what I'm going through. Other times it's discouraging when posters say they have been suffering for years and years.  I think of trying benedryl but I'm afraid any thing calming will slow my heart down even further but what the heck. i should just do it. If myheart stops that is kind of what I want.

I just tried looking for an anxiety support group in my area and can't find anything close, that is not 'closed to new members' or meets at a time I could actually be there.  I just don't know what to do.  My brain is so messed up.

I'm sorry Lexy. I wish I was feeling better and able to encourage you instead I of being down and needy. If anyone else is awake i could use some encouragement or ideas.

"The weekends are worse for me. I miss the busyness and structure of being at work. I have pretty bad anxiety and depression together! "

Janie I have a hard time on Sundays and it was better for me to work on Sundays.  It's a combo anxiety and melancholy.

I have asked lots of people if this happens to them and surprisingly it does.  Some type of association or reminder triggers it.

It was always a family day.  I am alone.  I used to go to Church as a kid and Sunday was the day before going back to Catholic School for more abuse.  So it is in there kinda deep for me.

A therapist told me she had the same issue (she went to Catholic Church/school too) and she said she had to practice many recovery tools on Sundays.

Now with us there is a chemical shift which is greatly affecting this.

I was determined not to go there today, so I journaled upon waking.  And I have been reading some positive things by Joel Osteen and Louise Hay on their FB pages.  I now need to get out of my pj's and decide what to do today.

Effexor is a tough drug and you sure have tremendous endurance.

Hang in there

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Keep busy and when you do not have anything to do, When your mind starts wandering

Instead write to us. Let us know. We do care because we are going

Through the same thing. We genuinely want you feel better because that's

What's encouraging the rest of us here.

Have you tried contacting a doctor that's on Alto's referral list?

Thanks Nikki and Lexy.  Interesting Nikki about the old feelings on a Sunday.  I know for me it's just the lack of structure on the weekends and having to face my worries and problems. At work I am too engaged to have to deal with it and dwell on anything.  I go to church, study group on Sunday, try to schedule exercise and outings, but weekends are still hard.  thanks for sharing and your words of encouragement. 

Lexy, No, I didn't know about Alto's doctor list. I will look for it. To answer your previous questions, when I'm busy at work I am sometimes suffering badly, sometimes can ignore the symptoms, and sometimes they actually go away and I might even feel normal (rare) or almost normal (ocassionally) for part of the day!! Then if I'm lucky the good feeling lasts into the evening as a nice window.  I don't think I've ever felt 'normal' on a weekend (since WD started). 

The brain pain is hard to describe. I'd say it is more than depression and anxiety - it includes foggy brain, a block that prevents being able to DO anything. It hurts to make a sandwich or clean up the kitchen for instance. It's a dread and gloom and general miserable ness. I don't get brain zaps any more (praise God) but I can tell my brain isn't 'clicking' or synapsing as it should.  When I feel good it's like all cylinders are firing and an engine is running smooth and strong. I love it and should just be glad that it does happen sometimes!!

Maybe when I get a laptop (hopefully near Christmas), I can be more connected.  I'm feeling better this afternoon.  Thanks for being there and responding!!!!

Just know I will be here. You are not alone.

I do understand about the demotivatiion, the extreme fatigue. I'm still getting the zaps.

What helps me a lot is playing with my dogs.

Pets can help with anxiety and depression, when I'm having one of my mood swings, they are the only ones that help me go through it.

Also maybe try to plan something every weekend.

Something you really like to do. It can be as simple as a puzzle or maybe a manicure. You will build up the excitement of looking forward to the weekend. Remember train your brain in to thinking how you want to feel.

• Administrator

The doctor list is http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

Janie, please look at the Symptoms forum for suggestions on dealing with the sleep problems, and others.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Janie

How are you?

Hi. thanks Lexy and Alto for suggestions. I like the idea of scheduling fun things to look forward to.  I find some events or schedule outings with friends and it does help, but some weekends there is nothing to do. I don't even know what's fun any more. 

This past week I felt quite good - comparetively. Only tingles and minor stomach tightness. Anxiety is at a lower level.  A new thing is a lot of twitches like electrical pulses throughout my body.  These are different from large muscle twitches. It feels more like the nerves are twitching or small muscles.  This has tapered off and stopped by the end of the week.  Overall depression remains.

I did meet with cardiologist who declares there is nothing (much ) wrong.  No bad events were recorded. He says there were some 'rare' pre-mature beats that are not of concern. The times I reported flutters there was no irregularity - so I have to conclude it is muscles near the heart twitching.  Can't the heart twitch like any other muscle and still be beating regularly? I don't think they know or care. I guess I am like all the other anxiety sufferers who think they have heart or breathing problems but are told the good news that their heart and lungs are fine.  I am glad, but wish the doctor was not so condescending.   He had no advice for the slow heartbeat. I even asked if I need to be careful with any meds that might relax my heart too much like benedryl but he acted like he had no knowlege or advice to give about meds. I got the feeling that he only wanted to deal with a patient having severe heart disease. no interest in bordeline heart problems or trying to prevent someone from getting worse.

I was supposed to start a dental treatment for TMJ/locked jaw with an appointment involving 3 hours of TENS (electrical pulses) on the jaw joint - to relax all muscles and determine my best and proper jaw position so that an orthotic can be made to keep my jaw there and theoretically reduce or cure the TMJ probems.  But the day before the appointment I suddenly realized it might not be good to have electrical impulses near my brain, especially with the twitching and pulses I was already experiencing.  I felt bad but canceled the appointment. Of course there is a hefty cancellation fee but I feel it is worth it to protect my brain.  I'll make a post someplace else to see if anyone knows much about TENS dangers. Dental office suggested there would be no effect on the brain but when I asked it it was safe even for people who get seizures she seemed to indicate it would not be recommended.

I am so grateful to God for the stability I've had for a full week.  I keep praying I don't have any more of those extreme low points. I'm still taking amoxicillin for possible lyme disease. Since taking it I HAVE been feeling better except for 1 weekend ago when I had a small lapse in dosage trying to get the renewal. Not sure if it is a factor or not.

Sometimes I wish I had a pet, but am not sure I'd feel up to the upkeep. I'd love a dog but my husband does not like dogs.  We lost our beloved cat last fall and have not felt ready to get another one yet.

Thanks for checking on me Lexy, and your helpful suggestions.  I hope  you have a good week this week.

Dear Janie

Im so glad to hear you are doing better.  I had been thinking of you and wondering how you were.  I am truly happy as I believe you 

are on your way to a better life without all these WDs.  

I hope you are able to get a pet.  Having a pet is the best therapy.  I've read that people that have pets live longer and have less stress.

I know I will get there too.  

• Administrator

I often felt fizzing near my heart, and sometimes what seems like odd heart beats -- but I believe it's something going on in my stomach. Probiotics and digestive enzymes have helped quite a bit.

There's a site called Meetup where you can join weekend activities and clubs. I recommend it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Alto. I have been taking probiotics due to the antibiotic for lyme disease and HAVE been feeling much better. May or may not be related to lyme/antibiotic. Perhaps instead it's just the probiotic is working! I know gut flora has a direct link to brain health. 

Not sure what you mean by digestive enzymes - yogurt and cheese?

Thanks for the suggestion on Meet-ups. I recently started with one walking group and will look for some other good ones.

• Administrator

Digestive enzymes are a different supplement, helping with digestion itself. For example, for digesting milk products, you would take an enzyme called lactase.

As we get older, our own enzymes don't work as well and we can give them a little help by taking a digestive enzyme supplement.

• 2 weeks later...

Janie

How are you? Hope everything is well.

Hi Lexy. Thanks for thinking of me. You are so sweet to check on me.  I hope you are doing well lately.  I've had some bad days but right now am pretty stable and hopeful. I think my progress is like the classic graph that jags up and down but the overall trend is a gradual improvement upwards.  Which seems to really match the theory that the brain is healing and repairing, but that it takes a long time.

My heart was acting up really badly last week. I think I'm having PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) which causes the fluttery feeling. I can watch it on a pulse ox indicator. The visibly weakish heart beats followed by occasional big strong beat seems to match the description of PVC I came across on the internet.  Cardio doc said I captured some PVC's on the monitor, but not enough to worry about, nor did he explain anything about what a PVC is.  I wonder what he'd say now that if I'm having them so much more frequently. It is worrisome when it seems to last for hours at a stretch.  But this week is better thankfully.

I pray alot, especially when I feel really desperately bad. It seems God comes to my rescue since I do feel better shortly after.  Just believing and trusting in that higher power helps me cope.  I believe healing takes place because of spiritual mechanisms working 'behind the scenes.'  Things have to manifest in heaven or be authorized in heaven before becoming reality in our world. I believe praying and asking for things initiates the process. I'm reading some library books on people who've had NDE's (near death experiences). It has helped me feel better about seemingly meaningless lives.  It helps me believe that there can be some purpose to and growth from suffering and sickness. Maybe we don't think we are benefiting, but after we die, we will understand more and have grown and improved from the experience.  

I have had more and more days and moments of feeling upbeat, hopeful. I can enjoy things more. I am much less negative and depressed. The anxiety and panicky moods are mostly much less or much more brief.   I pray I will not ever sink as low as I was. It is truly a place too close to hell.  I know I have improved. I'm so grateful for this healing.  I feel at this rate, I should be feeling pretty normal most all the time in a few more months. And that with the better moods and brain health, with greatly reduced and controlled anxiety, my heart will calm down and get back to normal.  That is my big hope.

Then I will be better able to tackle some real problems that need dealing with.  But it's kind of a catch 22, I'm not sure I can heal fully as long as these stressors are bothing me. It's hard to cope, to decide, to take actions and deal with the stressors when I am suffering the physical anxiety.

When I feel real bad, I think I need to get back on an AD. Which one, what do I do? I can't live this way. I can't deal with life like most people can. But then fortunately I feel better in a few days and say, look, it might take a few YEARS to recover, but that will be worth it if I can eventually heal and then live the rest of my life free of any psych med.  Stick it out and ride the waves. It will pass! Wait it out.

I think I do need to learn and practice more positive thinking, incorporate more de-stressing techniques, be strict and diligent with good nutrition, and other good habits to protect my physical and mental health. I need to learn and practice the skills of gratitude, assertiveness, cognitive thinking, staying close to God, etc. etc, to better deal with all of life's challenges that will come my way. I want to survive and thrive without meds!! It's a battle. I want get on top and stay on top.  It sure ain't easy though!!!!!

Well these are just some musing that perhaps others can relate to.  I hope my progress can be encouraging to others. I see a lot of evidence that my brain is repairing - very slowly.   

• Administrator

Janie, I've learned that magnesium glycinate and potassium are two supplements one can take to reduce heart symptoms. Are you taking magnesium? Have you had your potassium levels checked?

Janie, I don't want to be overly reassuring, but my husband just had a talk with his specialist about PVCs. He was having trigeminy, where every 3rd beat is a PVC. The dr. said even at that level, it is almost always benign. He said to watch out for times when there is absolutely no rhythm instead of an interruption in rhythm..that can indicate atrial fibrillation which can have more consequences. I believe the weak or missed beat happens when the ventricle, from some sort of stress or overstimulation, originates the beat early. Because it occurs when the ventricle hasn't yet emptied and refilled correctly, it doesn't pump out normally even though the contraction can be quite strong and makes either a weak or absent beat. I know they really don't feel good.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks Meimeiquest.  That sounds like the description of PVC I read about.  Sounds reasonable to not worry too much as long as the beat is pretty regular.  I do think it's stress related. Yes it feels very uncomfortable.  I feel for your husband if he is having PVC every third beat!!!   I have a follow up appointment in December with Cardio doc so by then hopefully I can say, it's worse or it's better.  This week the anxiety is low level, but depression is back today and some heart symptoms.  Always something, but overall I'm better than months past :)

Altostrata, I will look into the magnesium glycinate. Thanks for that tip! I can't find my latest lab work right now but if that is an electrolyte I know she ran the electrolytes and said it was okay (at least on the day of the blood draw!! I guess).

Yes, in WD I believe it is caused by the stress fight-or-flight hormones. My husband had a new BP medicine, but I think it is from the stress our whole family is going through.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Most people need more magnesium no matter what their electrolytes say.

• Moderator Emeritus

Magnesium isn't usually run on routine labs, at least at the hospitals I've worked at. Also I've heard that serum levels (that's what your labs measure) don't really give you the full story with magnesium, that you need to check a magnesium RBC level. I don't know much about that. But I do know it's hard to overdose on magnesium. Our bodies are pretty good at eliminating the excess.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you all.  Does it need to be magnesium "glycinate"?  Any suggestions on dosage?

Hey Janie and lexy i think we should fb link each other so we can talk about this effexor wd and support each other on a constant basis..message me with ur details or vice versa..all that i read i an going through. One love !

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Yes I need all support I can get!

Yes, I'd like to communicate with you and Lexy to give support.  How would we work it?  sorry I'm not too computer savy since I don't know what fb link is. I just tried to send you a private message but got a notice no messages can be sent to you.

Blood test for magnesium isn't normally run and even if it is the serum magnesium level doesn't fluctuate much. In any case you are likely to benefit from mg supplementation and very unlikely to be harmed at all. Probably every single one of us is magnesium deficient. Generally mg glycinate is well tolerated and absorbed. I understand Mg citrate is good also.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Mr A

I tried to send a PM to you too but couldn't any messages to go through.

Thank you Alexejice.  That is helpful. I think I already have the citrate variety. Will start taking it.

I am feeling so bad and I am so sick of this I can't live like this.  I don't know what to do. I am scared to death of trying to go back on meds but I don't know what else to do.  I cannot cope. I cannot live with this anxiety and depression.

My life problems are not going to go away any time soon and are likely to get worse. I don't feel suicidal exactly but the alternative is to go on a medication!!! That will make me worse probably . What should I do?

I called in sick. I think my husband will want to check me into a clinic!  Should I ask for a non-ssri type antidepressant. Would that be safer?? is it possible to be in a clinic without them putting you on meds?  Should I take sleep aid to sleep through this bad wave?? Somebody please help me.