melo on klonopin

melo

Help ive ta ken klonopin for 3 yesrs tried to get on severa l antidepressa nts got more a anxiety and panic attacks. Im in severe ches t back neck pain. The dr ss yd I hsve psnic disorder and I need to stay on it to get off klonopin. Im miserable have cut k to 2mg I cant get out of bed severe headaches head feels like its shaking I cant take it. If I get on an antidepressant which ive tried will thst help me get off k. Obviously I have anxiety I thi nk its from menopause. Im about to loose my family. I dont trust drs. Whst should I do pleaseee help

• Moderator Emeritus

Help ive ta ken klonopin for 3 yesrs tried to get on severa l antidepressa nts got more a anxiety and panic attacks. Im in severe ches t back neck pain. The dr ss yd I hsve psnic disorder and I need to stay on it to get off klonopin. Im miserable have cut k to 2mg I cant get out of bed severe headaches head feels like its shaking I cant take it. If I get on an antidepressant which ive tried will thst help me get off k. Obviously I have anxiety I thi nk its from menopause. Im about to loose my family. I dont trust drs. Whst should I do pleaseee help

Hi Melo, I'm very sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. ADs do not help with benzodiazepine WD and they often need a full taper regimen as well.

It sounds like you are in withdrawal from too precipitous a drop. How long were you taking klonopin. How much did you cut, when did you start tapering. What was the dose before you started to taper. I have been tapering off klonopin (now diazepam) for 30 months. For most of that time, I've been symptom free, but only because my pace has been veryy slow.

Do you have a history of any other benzodiazepine use? What other medications and supplements are you on now.

Your post will be moved to either the main forum intro section or the benzodiazepine sub forum, so don't be surprised if you get a redirect to this message string. You can use this thread to journal and give us updates. Welcome to our forum!!!

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Welcome, melo.

I moved your post here to start your Intro topic.

It sounds like you have Klonopin withdrawal symptoms, from tapering Klonopin too fast.

Since you've had bad reactions to antidepresants, if I were you, I wouldn't take any of them. Doctors think they will assist Klonopin withdrawal, but tapering Klonopin more gradually is a much more appropriate treatment.

Reinstating your earlier dosage of Klonopin might help withdrawal symptoms.

This site is about going off psychiatric drugs, but tapering benzos takes specific techniques we don't cover.

I suggest you start phoning doctors near you to see if anyone is knowledgeable about tapering benzos. You might ask if they're familiar with the Ashton method, this will at least indicate they've got some background.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Drs in uda dont brlieve in ashton method. I ve read it ive tried to go slow with no luck. Dr says get on antidepressant thrn wean klonopon but they all give me 10 times the anxirty so I quit them. I was up to 3 mg taprred to 2.5 cutting .125 e ach time cant go slower but was never stable on them. Severe anxiety psnic cant take the pain.its been 8 days since cut in severe pain. Anyone with s uggestions pleaseee

3 years on klonopin but I did have fight or flight and one panic attack before klonopin..could it be I have severe anxiety and until. I find an antidepressant to stabi lize me I wont get off. Im desperate....

• Moderator Emeritus

Drs in uda dont brlieve in ashton method. I ve read it ive tried to go slow with no luck.

Identifying a doc who knows about tapering is not easy, so you need to spend some time calling around. My suggestion is to contact Recovery Road for support. They may be able to give you tips on how to approach docs, and have a wealth of experience with other related issues. They also have a Facebook Page.

3 years on klonopin but I did have fight or flight and one panic attack before klonopin..could it be I have severe anxiety and until. I find an antidepressant to stabi lize me I wont get off. Im desperate....

I was up to 3 mg taprred to 2.5 cutting .125 e ach time cant go slower but was never stable on them.

Any anxiety you had is now being amplified by WD. For now, start taking 3 mgs. of klonopin. At this point you need to stabilize, and the best way to do this is go back to the last effective dose and hold until you feel better. When the WD symptoms ebb, you will need a slower taper plan, and Recovery Road could direct you to a resource that will help you set one up. There are ways to taper more slowly, you just need to be connected with folks who can teach you how.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

The problrm is I was never stable. Im shsking internally which they tell me is anxirty from what I dont know unless its menopause.

I don't know how long you tried to stabilize after you went to TID dosing but it may not have been long enough. I've been holding on my meager dose of diazepam for 5 months and the WD symptoms have all but extinguished.

I can't speak to menopausal anxiety but WD symptoms make any anxiety worse. As far as I know, peri menopausal symptoms generally involve hot flashes, etc, not like the anxiety associated with PMS.

I would send an email to, or call Recovery Road regarding your need for help with a benzo taper (they can help you identify resources for this) and other support. For now, we have pretty much done what we can here. I'm very sorry this is all so difficult.

• Moderator Emeritus

My last cut was 8 days ago. They told me to cut every 2 weeks. Our u on a antidepressant while weaning.

Every two weeks is too steep for you (and would be for many others). Go back to 3mgs and hold there until you are doing at least as well as before you started to reduce, and get informed help with your taper ASAP.

I would not take an AD because they do not help. And no, I have not tried. I've read wayyy too many cautionary accounts from people who only got more WD symptoms, who developed crippling side effects (ADs have worse side effects than benzos), or at the very best, had no improvement. I do not recall reading so much as a single account from someone whose life was improved. And don't forget, ADs need careful tapering just as much as benzos. People who are already neuro sensitized are more likely to have issues withdrawing from other psychotropics.

There is a benzo withdrawal support group online. I don't know the name, but you can google benzo withdrawal support group and see what comes up.

I have never had to do a taper from benzos...but it does sound like you need to go back on them to stop the anxiety/panic, stabilize for a spell and then find out how to do a benzo taper.

On this site, there is a section for benzo support. When you log onto the site look down below the tapering, family, etc. It's there.

Hang in there.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Thx this has been going on to long the suffering is unbearable.

It will be more bearable when you connect with people who can help! Put your energy into reaching out.. how about sending a message to Recovery Road, just remember, they may take a couple of days to get back to you . You could also read this page..Beyond Meds. Start educating yourself, follow the links on the Beyond Meds page, and from this page on Recovery Road. Learn how to advocate for yourself.

• Moderator Emeritus

<br>There is a benzo withdrawal support group online.  I don't know the name, but you can google benzo withdrawal support group and see what comes up.<br><br>I have never had to do a taper from benzos...but it does sound like you need to go back on them to stop the anxiety/panic, stabilize for a spell and then find out how to do a benzo taper.<br><br>On this site, there is a section for benzo support.  When you log onto the site look down below the tapering, family, etc.  It's there.<br><br>Hang in there.

<br>Nikki, Unfortunately, we don't give the type of comprehensive benzo support Melo needs.  This is the reason neither Alto nor I directed her to the sub forum.  It would be unfortunate for Melo to expend time and energy that would not result in the kind of feedback that would benefit her most. Also, I'm hoping Recovery Road can give a better quality of help than the benzo community you are thinking of. <br><br>Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

Nikki, Unfortunately, we don't give the sort of basic information or comprehensive support Melo needs, and this is the reason neither Alto nor I suggested she go to the sub forum. See the following post..

Melo, unfortunately, this is not a benzo site, and we are not geared to help with specific benzodiazepine taper protocols, but we can help you sort out what is going on with them and address your AD questions. A lot of folks have issues with both, so we frequently get questions that are not in isolation. If you still want help with benzo tapering specifics, we'll direct you to other resources, and will be here in any event.

I'm trying to direct Melo to Recovery Road as opposed to the benzo withdrawal group you are thinking of in hopes they might better address her needs. I wonder if you have looked at their site, they are doing some impressive work.

Hello Melo. Another Klonopin taperer here.

Please try resuming your previous 3 mg dose as Alto suggested. Dropping by 0.125 mg is way, way too fast and your nervous system is destabilized. Antidepressants cannot fix this.

I've been where you are right now. I know how horrible it is. Please try the updose and give it some time to work.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

• Moderator Emeritus

Sparow you cant get smaller than.125 thats an eight

Melo, we do this by making a liquid suspension of klonopin, but you need specific instuctions on how to do this. We do not have a full benzo forum here, and are in no way equipped to give detailed help on benzo tapering. For now just know it's possible to get the small reductions you will need. Please put a message thru to Recovery Road so you can get the sort of info you need, K? I'm going to hold back on further responses until you have connected with other resources.

• Administrator

melo, since you've read Ashton and you know the basic idea, you might find a doctor you can work with, who will cooperate when you request a change in your prescription. This does NOT have to be a psychiatrist. Any MD or OD can write a prescription.

Do you have a family doctor you like?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.