Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Evoldnahturt
9 hours ago, BobJoe said:

Just a warning to you guys. I tried to quit olanzapine cold turkey and  fucked up my heart by accident. Now i have problems with heart electricity and might need a stimulator in near future. 

So dont try to go cold turkey!

I started having heart issues while still on Olanzapine.  I still do, to some extent, but I suspect that this, like most issues caused by poor lifestyle choices, is one of those things that the body can repair on it's own once you start being good to it, so I'm not too worried about it.  Time will tell!

Altostrata

lucy's experience with Zyprexa and Seroquel is continued in her Intro topic:

On 5/29/2018 at 4:33 AM, lucyinthesky said:

Guys,

By way of an update, I am afraid to report that I may have spoken too soon regarding my "successful so far" switch from Zyprexa to Seroquel.    As soon as I tried to go below 2.5mg Zyprexa (while increasing from 75mg to 100mg Seroquel), I have been unable to sleep (even though the Seroquel makes me extremely groggy and sleepy, my brain just isn't able to get into sleep mode). I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall.  I'm not sure what my next move will be -- just wanted to update you that it certainly isn't as easy as I thought. Zyprexa addiction is the worst. :(

Please continue the conversation in lucy's Intro topic

ChessieCat

MadHatter's method:

25 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

I mix 1 tablespoon pancake syrup with 3 tablespoons water.  I use a pill crusher to grind up the 2.5mg Zyprexa.  I pour the powdered pill into the mixture and mix it up.  The syrup helps the powder be evenly distributed so that it doesn't just all fall to the bottom.  

erer

Olanzapine is an evil drug. Indescribably evil.

But I came here to say, that I am beginning to feel that it IS possible to get off it.

It has been 6 months since my last dose of Olanzapine.

It was hell. Taking the drug was hell. Tapering was hell. Being without Olanzapine is wonderful! I will not get into detail, but being at home for 3 years, not able to work, severely  agoraphobic, fighting for my life every single day, I started getting my life back piece by piece with every drop in Olanzapine. I would say I started to feel better after dropping below 1,4 mg. 

This whole time I used orodispersible tablets that I "dissolved" in 20 ml of water, stirring the water constantly I pulled it into a 20 ml syringe. Shaking the syringe constantly I pressed the excess liquid out (and never stored it for another time!).

MOD NOTE:  please ask erer questions in erer's Intro topic

I am happy to share my experience with anyone who wants to ask me something about it. Best of luck and all my best wishes to everyone who is tapering, about to taper or dreaming about tapering :)

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note