Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Evoldnahturt
9 hours ago, BobJoe said:

Just a warning to you guys. I tried to quit olanzapine cold turkey and  fucked up my heart by accident. Now i have problems with heart electricity and might need a stimulator in near future. 

So dont try to go cold turkey!

I started having heart issues while still on Olanzapine.  I still do, to some extent, but I suspect that this, like most issues caused by poor lifestyle choices, is one of those things that the body can repair on it's own once you start being good to it, so I'm not too worried about it.  Time will tell!

Altostrata

lucy's experience with Zyprexa and Seroquel is continued in her Intro topic:

On 5/29/2018 at 4:33 AM, lucyinthesky said:

Guys,

By way of an update, I am afraid to report that I may have spoken too soon regarding my "successful so far" switch from Zyprexa to Seroquel.    As soon as I tried to go below 2.5mg Zyprexa (while increasing from 75mg to 100mg Seroquel), I have been unable to sleep (even though the Seroquel makes me extremely groggy and sleepy, my brain just isn't able to get into sleep mode). I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall.  I'm not sure what my next move will be -- just wanted to update you that it certainly isn't as easy as I thought. Zyprexa addiction is the worst. :(

Please continue the conversation in lucy's Intro topic

ChessieCat

MadHatter's method:

25 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

I mix 1 tablespoon pancake syrup with 3 tablespoons water.  I use a pill crusher to grind up the 2.5mg Zyprexa.  I pour the powdered pill into the mixture and mix it up.  The syrup helps the powder be evenly distributed so that it doesn't just all fall to the bottom.  

erer

Olanzapine is an evil drug. Indescribably evil.

But I came here to say, that I am beginning to feel that it IS possible to get off it.

It has been 6 months since my last dose of Olanzapine.

It was hell. Taking the drug was hell. Tapering was hell. Being without Olanzapine is wonderful! I will not get into detail, but being at home for 3 years, not able to work, severely  agoraphobic, fighting for my life every single day, I started getting my life back piece by piece with every drop in Olanzapine. I would say I started to feel better after dropping below 1,4 mg. 

This whole time I used orodispersible tablets that I "dissolved" in 20 ml of water, stirring the water constantly I pulled it into a 20 ml syringe. Shaking the syringe constantly I pressed the excess liquid out (and never stored it for another time!).

MOD NOTE:  please ask erer questions in erer's Intro topic

I am happy to share my experience with anyone who wants to ask me something about it. Best of luck and all my best wishes to everyone who is tapering, about to taper or dreaming about tapering :)

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

MuffinHopes

Are there any success stories on here? I was put on zyprexa 4 months ago to counter insomnia caused by Latuda. Before I started all of this, I was sleeping 8 to 9 hours a night with no sleep aid. Now trying to get off 1.25 mg of Zyprexa was not successful. I tried twice; I lasted one month the first time and only five days the second time after realizing I would go insane if I don't sleep. I'm severet depressed about this stiuation as I have really terrible side effects. If this tapering method has worked for anyone, please let me know.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed triggering content

Evoldnahturt
On 2/6/2019 at 12:29 PM, MuffinHopes said:

Are there any success stories on here? I was put on zyprexa 4 months ago to counter insomnia caused by Latuda. Before I started all of this, I was sleeping 8 to 9 hours a night with no sleep aid. Now trying to get off 1.25 mg of Zyprexa was not successful. I tried twice; I lasted one month the first time and only five days the second time after realizing I would go insane if I don't sleep. I'm severet depressed about this stiuation as I have really terrible side effects. If this tapering method has worked for anyone, please let me know.

Tapering is working pretty well for me.  I don't do the water taper method, though.  Although some people have reported success with it.  I got a lot more ***** up than just getting an hour or two of sleep each night and my symptoms are barely noticeable at this point.  Do your research, don't be lazy, and you should be okay if you don't wait too long to take this seriously.

gladtobehere1984
On 2/17/2019 at 9:41 AM, Evoldnahturt said:

Tapering is working pretty well for me.  I don't do the water taper method, though

Hi Evoldnahturt,

Hope you are well. Is there a specific way you do your taper? If so, I would be grateful if you share it. Cheers

lucyinthesky

Hi @MuffinHopes. I tried a few times before to taper off both Zyprexa and Seroquel (similar atypical antipsychotic) NOT using the taper method and I was unsuccessful. I had exactly the same problem, I simply couldn't sleep. 

But I am now doing the 10% taper method, and I have gone from 2.5mg to 1.3mg. The only negative symptoms I'm experiencing are waking up a lot at night. When I've just done a reduction in my dose, I will have more sleep interruptions and it will be harder to get back to sleep (occasionally I can't get back to sleep at all), but after about 2 weeks, this subsides into just waking up a few times a night. It isn't perfect but it really is quite manageable. I'm feeling better than I ever did on the full dose. 

I did have to stop drinking alcohol. And I feel better and better the more I cultivate a positive mindset and nourish myself with healthy foods, meditate and exercise (etc.).

In terms of my method, I'm using tapering strips (https://www.taperingstrip.org/), which have been developed in the Netherlands (where I live) to help people taper. If I didn't have access to these, I would use the water method.

I really suggest you try the gradual reduction method. I believe it's the only way.

gladtobehere1984
5 hours ago, lucyinthesky said:

In terms of my method, I'm using tapering strips (https://www.taperingstrip.org/), which have been developed in the Netherlands (where I live) to help people taper. If I didn't have access to these, I would use the water method.

Hi Lucy,

I also found out about tapering strips but couldn’t be sure if it’s possible to do custom timed tapers with them, because they seem to come in standard dose reductions that happen in 28 days. (my foggy mind must have missed something) Did you get custom ones made that allow you to taper %10 each time and hold for a certain period in between the reductions?

Cheers

Evoldnahturt
12 hours ago, gladtobehere1984 said:

Hi Evoldnahturt,

Hope you are well. Is there a specific way you do your taper? If so, I would be grateful if you share it. Cheers

I'm copying and pasting from  a previous post on this thread:

I'm currently using micro scoops as the amount I'm working with is almost too small to weigh on a scale.  I believe this is the safest way to taper medications that are classified as "practically insoluble" in water once you get down to a weight that a milligram scale can't measure precisely enough.

Extra-large red scoops:  https://amzn.to/2IK8OcB

Large blue scoops:  https://amzn.to/2kpqYBO

Small yellow scoops:  https://amzn.to/2seIMnJ

I weighed ten scoops from each sized scoop individually and divided the weight by ten to get the weight per scoop.  I did this many times for each scoop size and went with the average.  I then weighed an entire pill to get the mg dosage per weight.  Let's say a 2.5mg tablet of Zyprexa weighs 95mg on a scale.  That's 0.0263157894736842mg (dosage in mg) per mg weight on a scale (2.5mg / 95mg= 0.0263157894736842mg).  Let's say you determined that the amount of Zyprexa that a red scoop holds weighs 6.25mg.  Multiply the dosage in mg per mg weight (0.0263157894736842mg) by this number to get the dosage each red scoop will give you (6.25mg x 0.0263157894736842mg = 0.1644736842105263mg).  Now you just adjust the number of scoops you need from each scoop size to get whatever dose you want.  Once you get to where you need less than what the smallest scoop provides, you take one of those scoops and divide it in half.  Then you divide each of those halves in half again.  You will then have four somewhat equal piles.  You divide the dosage that that scoop gives you by four to get the dosage of each pile.  You can divide piles as many times as you want to get to the dosage you need.

Please see Alto's comment regarding this member's tapering method.

These days I just do 50% drops and hold for three months, which makes tapering easier.  This gives me a rate of about 20% per month instead of the recommended 10%.  I decided to try this faster rate because I'm doing a lot better now and figured I could go back to 10% if my body started complaining about it.  So far so good, but I'm not courageous enough to try to speed it up beyond that.  By the way, I've looked and am no longer able to find the yellow scoops.  I hope you figure out an approach that works for you.  Godspeed.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

Altostrata
1 hour ago, Evoldnahturt said:

These days I just do 50% drops and hold for three months, which makes tapering easier.  This gives me a rate of about 20% per month instead of the recommended 10%.  I decided to try this faster rate because I'm doing a lot better now and figured I could go back to 10% if my body started complaining about it.  So far so good, but I'm not courageous enough to try to speed it up beyond that.  By the way, I've looked and am no longer able to find the yellow scoops.  I hope you figure out an approach that works for you.  Godspeed.

We should note that Evold is taking less than 1mg Zyprexa.

We don't recommend 50% decreases of Zyprexa at any stage of tapering. If you get withdrawal symptoms, you cannot count on updosing, sometimes it doesn't work.

Evoldnahturt
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

We should note that Evold is taking less than 1mg Zyprexa.

We don't recommend 50% decreases of Zyprexa at any stage of tapering. If you get withdrawal symptoms, you cannot count on updosing, sometimes it doesn't work.

I agree that it's certainly less safe and not something that should be considered by someone that isn't dealing with more than very mild symptoms.  I don't have a strong opinion on whether the dose is relevant, although it seems like it wouldn't be, but I believe the severity of symptoms are.  If your symptoms are more severe, you're likely at a more progressed stage, which often times comes with heightened sensitivity to dose changes and more severe consequences if your symptoms worsen.  It's also important to listen to your body if you're foolish enough to attempt something like this.  If you notice any strange neurological issues pop up or worsen, it may be best to slow down and/or decrease more gradually instead of making big jumps and holding longer.  I only considered this because of how well I saw myself respond over the past couple of years to the standard 10% taper and because I'm arrogant enough to assume that I'm more capable of figuring this out than anybody else.

Altostrata

Excellent points, Evold. You understand your symptom pattern and are in control of your taper.

gladtobehere1984
18 hours ago, Evoldnahturt said:

I'm copying and pasting from  a previous post on this thread:

Thank you Evoldnahturt. I've just remembered that I actually did read your previous post before. I forgot it was yours though :)

My current taper is %5-10 every 8 weeks or so.(tapering from Zyprexa 10mg) I'll wait at least 4 weeks after the withdrawal symptoms are gone. If that's more than 8 weeks I'll wait. If not I'll hold for 8 weeks anyways by default.

The reason I'm doing such a conservative taper is because I had my first psychotic break after I tapered from 1.5mg of Risperdal in around 1 year. The psychosis happened about 5 months after I was drug-free. Apparently, that was too fast. It's a big mess when one is psychotic so I'm hoping this slow taper won't trigger psychosis again.

My taper will take around 7.5 years. 

Once again thank you for sharing your method.

P.S. Does anyone have an idea why I might have developed psychosis 5 months after I was drug free? I couldn't find an explanation other than supersensitivity psychosis, but even that seems to happen only days weeks after being drug-free or reducing the dose and not 5 months after it. I also didn't have any withdrawal symptoms remaining at the time, and never had psychosis in my life before.

Altostrata

Responded in gladtobehere's Intro topic

People who never had psychosis cannot relapse into psychosis, but psychosis-like symptoms have been known to happen in withdrawal. Like other withdrawal symptoms, they come from a destabilized nervous system. They do not mean you have psychosis, like other withdrawal symptoms, they will gradually go away.

However, if you had psychosis symptoms before going on psychiatric drugs, that means you are "neurologically various" -- your nervous system is set up a little differently from most people's -- and you must take care not to tip it into psychosis symptoms again. When you're off drugs, you'll also have to treat your nervous system with care, so you don't behave in a way that gets you hospitalized again.

lucyinthesky
On 2/18/2019 at 4:20 PM, gladtobehere1984 said:

Hi Lucy,

I also found out about tapering strips but couldn’t be sure if it’s possible to do custom timed tapers with them, because they seem to come in standard dose reductions that happen in 28 days. (my foggy mind must have missed something) Did you get custom ones made that allow you to taper %10 each time and hold for a certain period in between the reductions?

Cheers

Hey, good question!

The dose comes in a variety of smaller pills. So a 1.9mg dose would (by default) be 1 x 1mg + 1 x 0.5mg + 2 x 0.2mg. However, I have taken to specifying exactly how the dose should come, so I make sure I can reduce it by 0.1mg myself (so I would ask for the 1.5mg dose to come as 1 x 1mg and 5 x 0.1mg). So I request the same dose for a whole month, then taper myself by taking away a 0.1mg pill when I need to. This actually works out cheaper too: they charge around 90 euros for a taper, e.g going from 1.5mg to 1.3mg in a month; and 50 euros for the same dose for the whole month. (The latter is what I am doing). I'm also saving all the spare 0.1mg pills, so I can use these later on.

This might get trickier when a 10% reduction becomes less than 0.1mg (i.e. when I'm under 1mg), but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (perhaps halving the 0.1mg pill, or using water titration when it gets to really small amounts). 

gladtobehere1984
21 hours ago, lucyinthesky said:

Hey, good question!

Ah ha! Great to hear. And it’s cheaper too like you say. Thank you for the through explanation.

And you are right, you cross the 0.1mg bridge when you come to it. I’m at 9.375mg now and have a long way till I get there.

Miko789

a question,

are the orodispensible wafers more soluble than the tablets? 

so they are for taper

Evoldnahturt

Neither are soluble in water.  Olanzapine is "Practically insoluble in water"

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olanzapine

Spideygsm

This post is incredibly old. I tried cutting the dissolvable wafers and the just fell apart.

At some point everybody tapering off Zyprexa

has to choose some does to stop taking the drug. What dose level is that?  It seems very difficult measuring very small doses whether by weight or volume. It became easiest for me to just cut the 2.5 mg tablets. 0.625 mg is where I stopped. 

It seem like a pain in the rear try and dissolve, weigh grains etc at such a small dose. I was so miserable, there no way I could have weighed or measured anything other than 1/2 and quarter pills

Good luck however you do it. 

Miko789

.if theres problem with the bits exposed to air? For 1 day?

1quarter is left in pill cutter for some days.??

hayduke

@Miko789 cut tablets seem to keep stored in a container for a few days at least.  I doubt I'd push it longer than that.

<5mg making a suspension in water has been worthwhile for better accuracy and it's not really much, if any, more difficult.

Pipette at home, and I find a syringe when on the road is good enough.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy