Lamictal (lamotrigine) to calm post-acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS)

Phil

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Armorall said:

@Altostrata Does it matter which version of lamictal we get?

Brands: Lamictal XR, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal, Lamictal Starter (Orange) Kit, Lamictal XR Starter (Orange), and Lamictal ODT Starter (Orange)

You will need to read this topic from the beginning to even consider doing this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I did! I printed out all the pages and was going to show my husband tonight. 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• Administrator

From your reading of this post, what kind of lamotrigine do you think you'd need for this experiment?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Low-dose? But I don't see that as one of the options. I guess I don't know what the letters that come after Lamictal mean?

https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• Administrator
On 10/3/2011 at 3:21 PM, Altostrata said:

As you will want to start at 2mg or lower, the only form of lamotrigine that comes in 2mg tablet is the chewable, dispersable tablet. (Otherwise, the usual starting dosage is 25mg immediate-release lamotrigine.) You might also use a compounded liquid to take a small amount. See Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Any extended-release form, such as Lamictal XR, will not be appropriate, as the dosage sizes are too large and you will not be able to make a liquid from the tablets.

Ok thanks! So, if I had to choose between trying the Lamictal and attempting reinstatement of Risperidone, you would pick Risperidone first?

• Administrator

If I thought lamotrigine was a better choice, I would have suggested it. Please put questions about your particular situation in your own Introductions topic, as further discussion takes this topic off-topic.

• 3 months later...

@Altostrata I saw someone in Egypt (can't find their thread) post the other day about asking if they could get  info on the psychiatrist in San Francisco regarding this treatment. I know I had asked the same months ago, and understand why it's not a good choice for me at this time (having not been withdrawing for very long, relatively speaking). But what about others like Hell and so forth? 

Surely this psychiatrist must know about the rampant suffering going on within the community? Is there no way that he/she would be up for Skyping or using a platform like wecounsel.com to regularly coach people on Lamictal usage (for a fee)? Or could they train a bunch of other psychiatrists to administer the drug? Wouldn't that be a huge contribution that the doctor would be willing to make? 

I see that the info is out there, but it looks like something that would need regular guidance from the one who treated you. And if that doctor ages out of the profession, it'd be so valuable to have the info passed on to other doctors. I know it might not work for everyone, but it seems worth a shot for those in protracted. Just a thought. 

@Armorall

I had a horrible reaction to this drug.  It made me manic, delusional and I had a full blown panic attack.  These are symptoms I had never had before.  It was one of the scariest experiences of my life.  I had side effects from the start but it wasn’t until several weeks of taking the drug that it built up enough in my body to cause a mental breakdown.  It made me high as a kite.  As it was leaving my body I was talking about the meaning of life and all sort of trippy things.  If it wasn’t for the bad trip they could sell that s***.  I talked to 2 pharmacists who said that I was having an adverse reaction.  The pharmacist said I had the rare symptoms, less than 1%.  But like he said if you are that 1% it might as well be 100%.  I honestly think that this drug was just not compatible for my body. Other people may not have a problem with it.  I will say though that I was astonished that this drug was so incredibly powerful and is legal.  

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

@Superwoman what was your dosage?

I don’t recall.  I would have to look at my med records.  I am sure that it was higher than the dose Alto recommends.  It was titrated up as the Effexor was titrated down.  With the lamictal side effects I was experiencing It is impossible to know if I was experiencing any withdrawal from reducing Effexor.

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

Does lamictal affect serotonin like an SSRI?

@Superwoman Off the top of my head, it affects the glutamenergic (sp) system responsible for the hyper-alerting type withdrawal symptoms (insomnia, anxiety). It is an anti-convulsant. 

From what it looks like, people are trying lamotrigine because of the success of Alto, but none have started at the recommended .5 dosage. They end up taking a therapuedic dose that starts at 25mg or much higher it seems and then claims it doesn't work. I'm not sure why they miss that part of the guidelines, but it is also why I am wondering if there is a way that participants can have access to the one that treated Alto or a push to have psychiatrists trained in this method. It sounds like there needs to be more supervision in order for it to work, and perhaps a breakthrough could be made in the WD community if there is one. I don't think it is recommended for people who are still tapering, though. 

My situation was different because I didn’t take the Lamictal for antidepressant withdrawal.  My doctor was cross tapering me from Effexor xr to Lamictal b/c the Effexor was not working anymore.   I am sure I was started at the therapeutic dose.

I also think the drug just did not agree with me.  Maybe I wasn’t able to metabolize it or something.  Everyone’s body is different so other people may be perfectly fine with it, especially at such a low dose.  I was just shocked at how potent the drug was!  I then got a different psychiatrist.  This doctor said that the drug may have made my dopamine levels too high and caused these symptoms.  @Altostrata, have you ever heard of Lamictal making someone high?

• Administrator

No, lamotrigine does not affect serotonin. It is not an antidepressant. It is an anti-seizure drug.

As explained above, if dosage is too high, people may have different kinds of adverse reactions to lamotrigine. I don't know what you mean by "high." Too much lamotrigine can make you feel disoriented or confused.

Probably your doctor started you on too-high a dose and you had an adverse reaction to it. Please read this topic from the beginning.

@Altostrata any comment on what I said and tagged you into regarding Skype or training others?

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

No, lamotrigine does not affect serotonin. It is not an antidepressant. It is an anti-seizure drug.

As explained above, if dosage is too high, people may have different kinds of adverse reactions to lamotrigine. I don't know what you mean by "high." Too much lamotrigine can make you feel disoriented or confused.

Probably your doctor started you on too-high a dose and you had an adverse reaction to it. Please read this topic from the beginning.

I didn’t take the lamictal for withdrawal. Several years ago my doctor prescribed it for depression at a therapeutic dose.  She cross tapered Effexor xr down and Lamictal up.  I have no idea why she even prescribed it because it is not typically used for major depression but bipolar disorder. 

By high, I mean tripping.  It made me “high as a kite.”  It was as if I took acid.  It seemed like the drug reached too high a level in my brain because this didn’t occur until a few weeks on the drug.

I was walking outside one day and I told me husband, “my brain feels weird”.  I felt oddly calm and euphoric and I didn’t know how to explain it.  I was sort of giggly.  I felt more off throughout the day and like something was wrong and I started feeling like I was crazy because by brain felt funny. 

That evening my husband and I were watching this movie about a woman who people thought was crazy, but she really was not.  It was the perfect storm.  I lost it and just burst out crying saying that I was afraid I was going crazy b/c my brain felt weird.  Then I had a complete panic attack.  I had a psychotic break.  I was delusional and thought I could read my dog’s mind.  I became manic and was talking a mile a minute.  I am not bipolar and have never been manic, only down.  I was really scared.  I felt like I was holding on to reality by a thread.  It was like a bad trip.  

That night as the drug was wearing off I was like a space cadet.  I was talking about all sort of trippy things.  I was talking about  the universe and meaning of life and these deep philosophical things because suddenly I felt like my consciousness expanded and I perceived things differently.  I have never used drugs other than marijuana a few times in my life.  But I have heard that when people take recreational drugs like acid you perceive and think like this.  It is possible I may have inadvertently taken too much.  I had side effects of forgetfulness and confusion and couldn’t sometimes remember if I took the medication or not.  

@Superwoman 

you mentioned you were cross tapering from Effexor when this happened? A few weeks after I came off lexapro cold turkey I tried two separate drugs (cymbalta for 5 days and buspirone for 11 days). I had a weird manic state on both, but I have no doubt it was the withdrawal from lexapro that caused me to react the way I did. Maybe the Effexor lowering combined with Lamictal created that effect for you. When I came off lexapro too fast, everything effected me different, even the meds I had been on.

- sertraline 50mg early May-2017 thru November 2017 (cold turkey/no issues but apparently I’m learning maybe a wave a year-14 months out that led me back to sertraline and my adverse reaction)

-sertraline 50mg (April 1 2019- April 13 2019 adverse reaction pill 1)

-lexapro 10-20mg (April 27 2019 - August 19 2019) seemed to stabilize on 10 and then again at 20 but screwed it up with alcohol both times bc I was told drinking wouldn’t cause problems...horrible activation at 20mg and destabilized completely after fast taper early September 2019)

-trazodone 50mg early (April 2019 - current ) Melatonin 5mg (mid July 2019-current)

-Buspirone 7.5 3x a day (September 19 2019 - September 30 2019)

-cymbalta 20mg (early October (5 days)

-Lamictal (early October 2019 with doses as high as 50mg single dose, then split dose, now 3x daily with slight reductions since Jan 2020)

-Lamictal split dose 37mg total (11.5mg8am/5mg 2pm/20.5mg8pm May2020 -current)

ativan-0.5mg once a day rarely. Advised by doc to take daily 11-14-19. Never did that and stopped taking it early December 2019.

36 minutes ago, Jmizz said:

@Superwoman 

you mentioned you were cross tapering from Effexor when this happened? A few weeks after I came off lexapro cold turkey I tried two separate drugs (cymbalta for 5 days and buspirone for 11 days). I had a weird manic state on both, but I have no doubt it was the withdrawal from lexapro that caused me to react the way I did. Maybe the Effexor lowering combined with Lamictal created that effect for you. When I came off lexapro too fast, everything effected me different, even the meds I had been on.

Yeah, I am wondering if this was the case. I was having dizzy spells which I attributed to Lamictal side effect, but it could have been withdrawal as well.  

• 3 weeks later...

Also, the doctor would not listen when I said that it was an adverse drug reaction, even though two pharmacists said that I was having a drug reaction.  Instead she insisted that I was I was bipolar and psychotic and she was ready to hospitalize me.  After my husband went home and looked up bipolar he knew that is not what I had.  We made a complaint at the hospital where she works.    

The bipolar diagnosis is pretty cruel, it can mean whatever the doctor wants it to mean. I have been diagnosed with it but I have the one "without mood swings" . Thankfully my family backed me up last time when the doctor told them if I got medicated only him would be able to assess progress, neither I or a third party would be able to see any changes in my personality (like what the hell, I went to him because I have horrible depersonalization and fatigue?) 

I see the word "dispersable" a lot, does it mean it breaks up fairly easy or is it something like extended release? A shrink told me lamictal might be a good idea, and I'm so desperate to get back to work again that I'm willing to ty at least a low dose

2007-2018 25mg-50mg Amitriptyline, 4mg Perphenazine, 500mg Valproic Acid

Nov 2018-February 2019 quetiapine, mirtazapine, pregabaline, estazolam, agomelatine, levomepromazine, trazodone, sulpiride

March 2019 - 37.5mg Amitriptyline, 4mg Perphenazine, waiting to tapper off slowly

February 2023 - Finished taper

• 7 months later...

Has anyone recently tried low dose lamotrigine for WD symptoms?

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/5/20 less than 1/8 teaspoon of Benadryl 

10/7/20 & 10/8/20 .10ml Benadryl (stopped 10/2020)

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol  (stopped 11/2020)

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped 10/2020 due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/9/20 grain of diazepam @ 2:30 am for muscle spasm pain (stopped 11/2020)

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped 11/10/20 due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

11/11/20 using lidocaine patch on neck and chest for pain due to muscle spasms

1/1/21       1 drop of liquid b12 (stopped 1/4/21)

I tried it for withdrawal from effexor and a bipolar diagnosis I clearly didn't qualify for. It was acceptable, pretty benign, but it didn't help with anything, maybe benzo withdrawal a bit, but for some reason I felt I needed to up the dosage which isn't a good thing, but like I said it was pretty much acceptable albeit not very helpful. 

Feb 2015 Invega 9mg tapered to zero over 6 month, Levomepromazine 25mg for 3 monthsCitalopram raised from 20mg to 80mg over 3 months, at 80mg for 1 year and 5 months, Venlaxafine raised from 150mg to 450mg over 3 months (after citalopram) maintained for 1 year and 2 months. Cold turkey off both.     Two shots of haldol decanoate. Alprazolam from 0.5 to 7(!) mg due to the immense stress of the ads. Down to 2.5mg October 2017

Occtober 2017 - Dec 2017 Moclobemide raised from 200mg to 800mg during a month and half discontinued with no tapering.

Jan 2017 Feb 2017Fluvoxamine and Venlaxafine 300mg and 450mg, abrupt start, no tapering in discontinuation. 30mg Mirtazapin at night.

Close to two months off antidepressants but on benzos. 6 months on 2.5mg alprazolam, Diazepam 5mg for 1.5 months. Currently on 600mg peronten, 400mg seroquel xr, Risperdal Consta 50mg. 

In the past 8 months dropped quitapine from 400 -> 300->200->100->75->50->25. Dropped paliperidone palmitate 100 to 75mg (two months on the lower dosage) Dropped Gabapentin 300mg->200mg->100mg->0

On 10/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, Jay78 said:

I tried it for withdrawal from effexor and a bipolar diagnosis I clearly didn't qualify for. It was acceptable, pretty benign, but it didn't help with anything, maybe benzo withdrawal a bit, but for some reason I felt I needed to up the dosage which isn't a good thing, but like I said it was pretty much acceptable albeit not very helpful. 

Thank you for the response.

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/5/20 less than 1/8 teaspoon of Benadryl 

10/7/20 & 10/8/20 .10ml Benadryl (stopped 10/2020)

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol  (stopped 11/2020)

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped 10/2020 due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/9/20 grain of diazepam @ 2:30 am for muscle spasm pain (stopped 11/2020)

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped 11/10/20 due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

11/11/20 using lidocaine patch on neck and chest for pain due to muscle spasms

1/1/21       1 drop of liquid b12 (stopped 1/4/21)

Hi @Altostrata I know you have previously mentioned that Lamotrigine does not work on serotonin but I saw that there are many references on the internet which explains it does work on the serotonin receptors.  Am I reading these papers wrong? I would love to be wrong and that you are indeed correct because this is my main worry. Since fast tapering 30mg Lexapro in Feb 2018 then going through intense withdrawals with no let up I was informed by someone knowledgeable in the withdrawal world that the 100mg Lamictal I was on could be preventing me from healing as it works on the serotonin receptors in a weaker way than SSRI's. So I began to taper off when I was about 22 months into lexapro withdrawal. 

Kind regards,

Hope

May 2014 - July 2015 0.5 Clonazapam (cold turkey off)

October 2014 - November 2014 took Beta Blocker Propranolol (fast taper off)

December 2014 - began 2.5mg Lexapro worked up to 30mg Lexapro over 3 months

December 2014 - 2 mg Valium started sometimes took up to 6 mg Valium

April 2015 - started 25mg Lamictal worked up to 100mg Lamictal

April 2015  - began taper 4mg Valium. Stopped Valium 

July 2015 - stopped crumb of 2mg Valium

September 2017 began taper 30mg Lexapro.

February 2018 last dose Lexapro 1.25mg

October 2020 - Began 10% taper of Lamictal Dec 2019. was going ok until tapered from 45mg - 40mg. 

September 2023 - on the 13th of September 2023 I took my last dose of Lamictal 0.1mg. Finally psych med free!!

• Moderator Emeritus
35 minutes ago, Hopetobefree said:

I saw that there are many references on the internet which explains it does work on the serotonin receptors.  Am I reading these papers wrong?

It would be helpful if you could provide links to what you have seen.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

As far as I know, lamotrigine does not act on serotonin receptors specifically, and even if it did, that wouldn't mean anything to recovering from withdrawal.

• 3 months later...

I have a question for people who have been taking lamotrigine (lamictal) for years, but haven't been taking it together with antidepressiants and/or amphetamines. Or, at least, for those who has been taking lamotigine with other meds, but in lower doses. This knowledge could be useful, because, if someone takes several drugs, it's hard to say which one has the largest impact to cognitive functions.

You can read that lamictal is lowing metabolic activity into several regions of brain, that it cause dementia, several people are describing about their cognitive decline that happened because of lamotrigine.

I'm experiencing cognitive decline and my short-term memory is ***** up. And I wonder if my cognitive functions and short-term memory will come back one day...

So, my question is: how long did it take, until your cognitive functions and short-term memory came back? Did it even improve?

And! I don't recommend lamotrigine for support during withdrawal process: If you have damaged brain by any other drugs, lamotrigine will be destroy it additionally. If I look in my history, I can say s that my cognitive decline has been becoming more rapid just after I started taking lamotrigine, even I have been taking antidepressiants and amphetamines before.

2009-2010: Asentra (50 mg)

2011: Cipralex (10 mg)

2009-2011: tried Zyprexa (5/2.5mg), Kventiax  (50/25mg) and Abilify (low dosage) (started refusing it - being zombie)

CT Cipralex, being free for several moths

2012-2016: Prozac (60 mg)

2016-2017: Alventa (75 mg)

2016: just tried Cymbalta and Ludiomil

2017-2018: Mirtazapine (30/45mg)

2012-2018: Wellbutrine (300 mg)

2014-2018: Lamotrigine (50/100/150 mg) CT Wellbutrin, tapering lamitrogine and mirtazapine too fast

Supplements: B12, D, Mg, trying B3, B1

I know I wrote a lot of nonsense here. I'm sorry, I feel shamed!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Prozack,

I responded on your topic here:  by Prozack

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 5 months later...

I know this is old but I have been reading all of the posts on Lamictal. I was on 100 mg at some point for a few years and then 50mg. and that was the one drug I didn't seem to have trouble coming off of. I am 11 months AD free after a bumpy not so informed 1 year taper. I am really suffering snd trying so hard not to take anything. I have prn klonopin but it is scary to take it.  Anxiety is still debilitating everyday all day with some super intense waves. Alto Strata, if you see this post can you weigh in on if microdosing lamictal has any effect on anxiety. I know you can't advise and it is tricky to dose but do you know if people have had any anxiety relief from it. 

Paxil  2000 - 2002  Tried unsuccessfully to discontinue

2002 - 2010 A series of trial and error, Wellbutrin, Effexor and unsuccessful attempts to discontinue.  

2010 - 2017 Lexapro With several unsuccessful attempts to withdraw 

2012 - 2017 Lamictal Successfully withdrew Lamictal no problem

2017 - 2020 Switched to 40mg. Prozac to prepare try another Withdrawal. 

2020 - On 15mg Remeron for a few months during withdrawal

Completely off of Antidepressants since Sept. 2020

Klonipin as needed throughout the process. .25 mostly, some .5, some .125,  2 to 12 times per mo.

• 3 months later...

Hi I reviewed all the posts I believe for the lamotrigine treatment and the withdrawals. Doesn’t seem too encouraging, seems like pretty mediocre results and lots of problems, although most didn’t seem to keep the dosage low and tapered too fast.

I’m currently suffering from a year and a half of pretty much constant muscle spasms and cramping so getting pretty desperate for some relief. Didn’t seem to indicate what symptoms people were trying to treat, I was intrigued initially by AltoStrata’s success given she mentioned in her paper that she suffered from 1.5 years of painful muscle spasms. Do you know if that was one of the withdrawal symptoms the lamotrigine relieved?

Coincidentally my symptoms have been attributed to a condition called Cramp- Fascilation-Syndrome by my neurologist although I don’t have the true muscle response on the EMG, and one of the listed medications is lamotrigine. Although I guess there is always a drug available for any ailment these days…

Thanks!

~1992-2015 Paroxetine, on and off a few times, fast tapers.

-2015-2019 Sertraline 50 mg to 100 mg & back down, 2 month taper and off October 2019.

-2020 mid January 25 mg Sertraline for 1 week, insomnia so stopped.
-2020 mid February - mid June 25 mg Sertraline steady and ~1.5 to 3.75 mg Mirtazapine on and off from a few days to a couple of weeks at a time with 1 to 2 week breaks.

-2020 June 24 to present - off Mirtazapine totally, 25 mg Sertraline taken every morning.

-April-July 7, 2022, 15 mg Hydroxyzine, stopped cold turkey.  Still on 25 mg sertraline.

-January 2023 started 20 mg Omeprazole (a ppi). -March 1-31, 2023 tapered off Omeprazole. -May 1, 2023 back on Omeprazole. -July 1-31, 2023 tapered off Omeprazole. -Sept 29, 2023 back on 20 mg Omeprazole.

-Oct 29, 2023 started 670 mg ashwaghandha.

-Nov 3,  2023, increased Sertraline to 50 mg,

I actually tried it for a few days and got nervous about it and quit. My take away from alftStrata was it calms the alerting system so I was hoping for less anxiety since that is my worst symptom. I still have others but they are not as bothersome. Fly like is cycling all of the time. I had about 7 doctors turn me down on the microdosing the Lamictal and I finally did an online telehealth with a random doctor who didn't understand it but she did write it! Best to you. A prayer of healing for all of us. 

Paxil  2000 - 2002  Tried unsuccessfully to discontinue

2002 - 2010 A series of trial and error, Wellbutrin, Effexor and unsuccessful attempts to discontinue.  

2010 - 2017 Lexapro With several unsuccessful attempts to withdraw 

2012 - 2017 Lamictal Successfully withdrew Lamictal no problem

2017 - 2020 Switched to 40mg. Prozac to prepare try another Withdrawal. 

2020 - On 15mg Remeron for a few months during withdrawal

Completely off of Antidepressants since Sept. 2020

Klonipin as needed throughout the process. .25 mostly, some .5, some .125,  2 to 12 times per mo.

2 hours ago, rachie said:

I actually tried it for a few days and got nervous about it and quit. My take away from alftStrata was it calms the alerting system so I was hoping for less anxiety since that is my worst symptom. I still have others but they are not as bothersome. Fly like is cycling all of the time.

Hi Rachie thanks for your comments. What do you mean with your last sentence above? Typo I assume?

so you were actually taking a larger dose of lamotrigine for 5 years though according to your history? Was it difficult to taper off of? Thanks!!

~1992-2015 Paroxetine, on and off a few times, fast tapers.

-2015-2019 Sertraline 50 mg to 100 mg & back down, 2 month taper and off October 2019.

-2020 mid January 25 mg Sertraline for 1 week, insomnia so stopped.
-2020 mid February - mid June 25 mg Sertraline steady and ~1.5 to 3.75 mg Mirtazapine on and off from a few days to a couple of weeks at a time with 1 to 2 week breaks.

-2020 June 24 to present - off Mirtazapine totally, 25 mg Sertraline taken every morning.

-April-July 7, 2022, 15 mg Hydroxyzine, stopped cold turkey.  Still on 25 mg sertraline.

-January 2023 started 20 mg Omeprazole (a ppi). -March 1-31, 2023 tapered off Omeprazole. -May 1, 2023 back on Omeprazole. -July 1-31, 2023 tapered off Omeprazole. -Sept 29, 2023 back on 20 mg Omeprazole.

-Oct 29, 2023 started 670 mg ashwaghandha.

-Nov 3,  2023, increased Sertraline to 50 mg,

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve tried Lamictal at 1.8mg in the evening, felt little agitated but don’t know if it was related to it. Before I fell asleep I felt I was flying around my body (or felt like I was up side down), then I down the dose to 1mg for 4 days, I don’t have any good effects from it then I quit, don’t know if it is worth to try again.

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who has used very low dose Lamictal, at what increments and frequency did you titrate up?  Also, I've read that if it works, to expect to stay on it for 1yr+, and I've read the 10% drop per month rule or slower to come off.  However, I have not seen at what dose or below it is safe to try to jump; does anyone have thoughts?

2004 -2015  citalopram 40mg
2015 CT switch to duloxetine 60mg with no problems
2021 June (exact date unknown) accidental CT discontinuation of duloxetine 60mg

• 2nd July duloxetine 30mg reinstatement (triggering immediate physiological issues)
  • later July up to duloxetine 60mg for a bit, back down to duloxetine 30mg after intolerance of 60mg
  • early August switch to citalopram 10mg, later August up to citalopram 20mg
  • mid September down to citalopram 10mg, late September discontinued citalopram 10mg after four months of terrible physiological and phsychological symptoms and hopelessness
  • Also added Ambien and Xanax mid September for insomnia 😢

Other meds:  Ambien 10mg, Xanax .625mg, liothyronine 130mcg, levothyroxine 25mcg, valacyclovir 1gm (for Epstein-Barr), hydroxychloroquine (for autoimmune disease), LDN (for autoimmune pain) 

Supplements:  l-theanine, magnesium, multivitamin, methyl folate & methyl b12 (for MTFHR), B6 & iron (for anemia), melatonin, NAC, omega 3, curcumin, vitamin c, vitamin d3, COQ10 ubiquinol, iodine, selenium, zinc, vitamin e, vitamin a

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, FosterTheCritters said:

For anyone who has used very low dose Lamictal, at what increments and frequency did you titrate up?  Also, I've read that if it works, to expect to stay on it for 1yr+, and I've read the 10% drop per month rule or slower to come off.  However, I have not seen at what dose or below it is safe to try to jump; does anyone have thoughts?

See:

tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy