Lamictal (lamotrigine) to calm post-acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS)

Phil

• Moderator Emeritus

Dude, it's very thoughtful asking for assistance for Marsx.  This is in Marsx's Intro topic:

18 minutes ago, Marsx said:

Ive also taken lamotrigine in the past and wouldn't retry it.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

8 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Dude, it's very thoughtful asking for assistance for Marsx.  This is in Marsx's Intro topic:

Hi Chessie

Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate it.

No longer a member.

Hello. I had also not taken lamotrigine for withdrawal in the past, it was just a drug my doctors had me experiment with during the whole trial and error to get rid of anxiety. Anyways, after a reinstatement of my original med hasn't produced any results, I am considering micro doses of lamotrigine. Will update once I start a trial. 

Various  ADs: 2007-2011

Seroquel- 500mg: Jan, 2011 - Jan, 2013

Amitriptyline- 150mg: Jan, 2013 - Jan, 2017, stopped Cold Turkey

Clonazepam: 1mg on and off: 2014- March 2018

Reinstate amitriptyline- 5mg April 1, 2018 

1mg Amitriptyline - April 14, 2018 onwards

Lamictal didn't agree with me  i was wondering whether there are some other  ways  to correct this action of  locus coeruleus "fight or flight"  disinhibited and the glutamatergic system  i have read somewhere that vitamin B6  in the  form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate, green tea camomile tea  and  zinc all help  ( i don't know what i have done with the text ?? )

If anyone has any information  it will be greatly welcomed 

I've been medication free for 65 months and a half months as posted of May 30th 2021 , stopped   med's December 14th 2015,  history  20 years on  Prozac 80mg & Moclobemide 150 mg  per day,  stopped  Moclobemide sometime in 2012 then about a year later lowered Prozac  dose to 20mg  per day, then changed to Paroxetine, then change to a Mirtazapine,  then change to Lexapro,  then changed to Brintellix,  then changed to Edronax  all at 10mgs or less  over a period of about  year,   Edronax tapered 4mg to 2mg over  10 weeks, 2 mg for 8 weeks 1 mg for 10 weeks  stopped all meds completely 14 December 2015  3 months later all HELL broke loose 

18 Jan 2019 reinstated Prozac  .25 mg then ceased 8/8/20

• Administrator

mickde1, please update your Intro topic 

with your experience with lamotrigine. Delving further here into the dosage you took, etc. would take this topic off track.

I only know of lamotrigine because of my own treatment with it. If I knew of anything else that might help, I would post about it.

Some people react badly to B vitamins, including vitamin B6. Please use search in the Symptoms forum to see our discussions about it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 2/15/2017 at 12:29 AM, Altostrata said:

Lamotrigine is not addicting. You will need to taper to go off it, though, because the nervous system becomes accustomed to it over time.

I am dubious that it will help you go off a benzo, but who knows. Has this doctor seen it work before?

Please remember to start very low and go slow. Let us know how you're doing.

Altostrata,

I would love more information about your healing that took place while on the Lamotrigine. I am obviously very cautious of ever putting another drug in my mouth again...

Were you able to successfully come off without withdrawls, or new damage? How long did it take you to come off? Did you have any bad side-effects while taking it? In what ways did it help you to heal? How long did you take the 5mg dose? I am super sensitive and go paradoxal to all supplements and alot of foods. Does this predict that it wouldn't work for me? Or did this help you even if you had these same hypersensitivities? 

When you say its not addictive, is this in the technical sense, as in how they still say anti-depressants are not addictive? Wouldn't they actually re-wire and change the brain in the same mechanism as ssri's? I just want to make sure I understand the drug mechanism before I think about using it for healing.

At this point I am still withdrawing, I'm down to 5mg Lexapro, from 20 mg. It has taken me 2 yrs to get here. Although my symptoms are a lot better than they were in the beginning when I was tapering faster, It's still disabling and I haven't seen any full windows of relief since starting the taper. Each taper (i'm doing less that 10% a month) comes with giant waves of symptoms, and when I have my period, all bets are off. I am a mess. My worst symptoms are of the mental sort, but also new physical symptoms and "diseases" have emerged.

I am hoping that by adding a baby dose of the Lamotrigine, I might have a little smoother transitions with the drops in dose, and I might begin to see more healing.

What are your thoughts? Do you still think it was worth it for you to take the chance? 

Has anyone else had any success with this method?

Thank you!

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

I would also like to hear more about this.

My situation is a little different: I am already taking Lamictal, I have tapered it from 200mg to 46mg in about three years. I have been thinking would it make sense to leave it around 5 mg (when I reach that point), to help me completing my Seroquel taper?  (If I would just continue tapering, I would jump off of Lamictal long before reaching the lower doses (and hardest part) of tapering Seroquel.)

2008: Cymbalta 60 mg, stopped at 30mg; Seroquel 25 mg for sleep; higher doses of Seroquel autumn 2008 and Lamictal started Dec. 2008

2009: Seroquel XR 300 mg + Seroquel IR 300 mg + Lamictal 300 mg

2010: Lamictal down to 200 mg. 2011: Seroquel XR down to 200mg (by first tapering IR 25mg at a time).

2015: started tapering Lamictal, down to 175mg, held for two weeks, down to 150 mg. Got symptoms.

2016: tapered Lamictal, now with 10 % rule and 3-week holds. Got it down to 100 mg. No significant symptoms.

2017: tapered Lamictal, with 10 % or less and held 3-6 weeks in between. Got it down to 50 mg in July.

Oct. 2017-Feb. 2018: tapered Seroquel IR from 200mg to 150mg. Feb. 2018: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 150mg and IR up to 200mg.

April 2018: continued tapering Lamictal, down to 46 mg. June-Oct. 2018: continued with BM slide, down to 35mg.

April 2019: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 100mg and IR up to 250mg. July IR down to 225mg, Aug. IR down to 200mg. Dec. Seroquel IR down to 190mg.

Jan. 2020: Seroquel IR down to 180mg. Feb. IR down to 175mg. March: IR back up to 200mg. May: Lamictal down to 34mg. July: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 50mg and IR up to 250 mg. Held for 3 weeks, then IR down to 225 mg. Aug. IR down to 200 mg. Nov. Lamictal down to 33mg, Dec. down to 32mg.

Jan. 2021 down to 31mg, March 2021 Lamictal down to 30mg. June 2021: last switch: Seroquel XR down to 0mg and Seroquel IR up to 250mg.

• Administrator

Everything I know about lamotrigine is in this topic and One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome.

Read this post carefully

For information about titrating lamotrigine, see Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Althea, I have no idea if a little lamotrigine will make it easier for you to come off Seroquel. Even so, I might do as you've planned, the low dose of lamotrigine might be something of a cushion.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@altostrata,

I'm really just looking for advice on whether you think that the Iamotrigine could be helpful in stabalizing some while still tapering the last bit, as I've never "stabalized" through the entire tapering process. In my case, I started having WD symptoms before ever going off the drug, as it turned on me (see my intro). 

The questions I still have after reading the posts are:

Did you really have no WD's when tapering off? How long did it take you to come off?  Did you only take the drug for the 1 year, and at which point did you feel you were healed?  I'm asking bc you mentioned that you don't want to stay on it to long term bc it can change the way the body works...

I'm still WD'ing from 5mg, which should take me about 1 more year. I'm wondering if this might help this WD process go smoother so maybe I heal as I'm going (which I already have noticed that i am healing some as I go, although not much). 

Does this make sense? I am dealing with a foggy brain, I apologize ;) 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

• Administrator

Peachy, I can't answer your questions without knowing more about your situation. Your Introductions topic is the appropriate place for that discussion.

To answer others: As I explained very carefully earlier in this topic, if your nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal, you will want to start at a very low dose of lamotrigine, less than 5mg (males) and possibly less than 2mg (females and those whose nervous systems are very sensitive). Most doctors think the starting dose of lamotrigine is 25mg and will insist you take this. Lamotrigine at too high a dose may have adverse or paradoxical effects.

Despite this repeated advice, several people have posted in this topic having started at too high a dose and gotten bad results. This is why I am hesitant about posting at all about lamotrigine.

I have also very carefully specified that lamotrigine, even at a very low dose, needs to be tapered. The nervous system becomes dependent on this as it does on any psychiatric drug. I'm not going into whether you want to call this "addictive" or not; you can use search on this site to see the discussions about "addictive." Lamotrigine needs to be tapered carefully. I hope that's clear now.

I personally did experience difficulty in tapering lamotrigine until I got it that it needs to be tapered very, very gradually. But whether I experienced this or not, you can take it to the bank: You need to taper lamotrigine, despite anything your doctor says or you read on the Web.

Gianna Kali was on high doses of multiple drugs, including lamotrigine. She went off a couple of them too fast and already had withdrawal symptoms when she reduced lamotrigine. Going off lamotrigine too fast added problems, but she did not develop severe withdrawal syndrome from going off lamotrigine alone.

Lamotrigine itself is not nearly as dangerous a drug as antipsychotics or benzodiazepines. It's not as difficult to taper as paroxetine, venlafaxine, or duloxetine. Taken at a very low dose, it's unlikely to make withdrawal symptoms worse. If you insist on starting at 25mg (or more) under the theory that more is better, you are setting yourself up for trouble and I'd appreciate it if you take responsibility for the error instead of blaming the drug.

I was on lamotrigine for a couple of years in all. I came off it prematurely and all my withdrawal symptoms came back. I went back on it, this time at dosages up to 5mg, for another year or so. You can bet I tapered it very carefully after that.

Like everything else, lamotrigine's effect is individual. I cannot predict how long any individual might stay on a very low dose of lamotrigine to settle withdrawal symptoms. It depends on your degree of benefit. As I've said repeatedly, taking a very low dose of lamotrigine has a subtle, gentle effect. It will not immediately take away your withdrawal symptoms. It is a crutch to take the edge off the alerting and help you to sleep a little, to start, so your own nervous system can take over and gradually calm itself. I would expect this to take a year or so.

15 hours ago, Althea said:

I would also like to hear more about this.

My situation is a little different: I am already taking Lamictal, I have tapered it from 200mg to 46mg in about three years. I have been thinking would it make sense to leave it around 5 mg (when I reach that point), to help me completing my Seroquel taper?  (If I would just continue tapering, I would jump off of Lamictal long before reaching the lower doses (and hardest part) of tapering Seroquel.)

If I was you I would focus on tapering the seroquel and then once finished the taper and stable start the lamictal taper, there is a high chance of bad insomnia tapering seroquel so if lamictal is helping sleep then taper that last,

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

On 5/1/2018 at 11:59 PM, Altostrata said:

Althea, I have no idea if a little lamotrigine will make it easier for you to come off Seroquel. Even so, I might do as you've planned, the low dose of lamotrigine might be something of a cushion.

Altostrata, thank you for your insight on this, I appreciate it. I know that this is pure guesswork, but those who have more experience are making better guesses than those with less experience.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:52 AM, Altostrata said:

a very low dose of lamotrigine, less than 5mg (males) and possibly less than 2mg (females and those whose nervous systems are very sensitive

This was clarifying to me. I’m a sensitive female, so my plan is to leave my Lamictal at around 2mg. It may help or not, but it shouldn’t hurt either. And now I know it’s important to wait at least one year before very slowly tapering those last milligrams. That doesn’t sound too bad to me as Lamictal is not as dangerous as many other meds.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:52 AM, Altostrata said:

Gianna Kali was on high doses of multiple drugs, including lamotrigine. She went off a couple of them too fast and already had withdrawal symptoms when she reduced lamotrigine. Going off lamotrigine too fast added problems, but she did not develop severe withdrawal syndrome from going off lamotrigine alone. 

This was important information, too. Even though I’m familiar with Gianna’s story, I hadn’t realized that part of her suffering came from tapering too fast. I have been going slow but I will have to go even slower. Maybe it's better to stop even estimating how many years this is going to take - many. I want to try my best to stay functional.

I'm deeply grateful for this site and all the advice and support here. Thank you!

2008: Cymbalta 60 mg, stopped at 30mg; Seroquel 25 mg for sleep; higher doses of Seroquel autumn 2008 and Lamictal started Dec. 2008

2010: Lamictal down to 200 mg. 2011: Seroquel XR down to 200mg (by first tapering IR 25mg at a time).

2015: started tapering Lamictal, down to 175mg, held for two weeks, down to 150 mg. Got symptoms.

2016: tapered Lamictal, now with 10 % rule and 3-week holds. Got it down to 100 mg. No significant symptoms.

2017: tapered Lamictal, with 10 % or less and held 3-6 weeks in between. Got it down to 50 mg in July.

Oct. 2017-Feb. 2018: tapered Seroquel IR from 200mg to 150mg. Feb. 2018: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 150mg and IR up to 200mg.

April 2018: continued tapering Lamictal, down to 46 mg. June-Oct. 2018: continued with BM slide, down to 35mg.

April 2019: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 100mg and IR up to 250mg. July IR down to 225mg, Aug. IR down to 200mg. Dec. Seroquel IR down to 190mg.

Jan. 2020: Seroquel IR down to 180mg. Feb. IR down to 175mg. March: IR back up to 200mg. May: Lamictal down to 34mg. July: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 50mg and IR up to 250 mg. Held for 3 weeks, then IR down to 225 mg. Aug. IR down to 200 mg. Nov. Lamictal down to 33mg, Dec. down to 32mg.

Jan. 2021 down to 31mg, March 2021 Lamictal down to 30mg. June 2021: last switch: Seroquel XR down to 0mg and Seroquel IR up to 250mg.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:48 PM, dj2010 said:

If I was you I would focus on tapering the seroquel and then once finished the taper and stable start the lamictal taper, there is a high chance of bad insomnia tapering seroquel so if lamictal is helping sleep then taper that last,

dj2010, what made you think taking my 46 mg Lamictal would help me sleep? It's quite the opposite: when I taper Lamictal, I start to sleep more deeply. That has led me to conclude that Lamictal has been causing me insomnia (it has that effect on high doses), and that's why I have needed such high doses of Seroquel to sleep. That Lamictal insomnia has been masked by Seroquel. If I would taper off of Seroquel while still on high doses of Lamictal (and 46mg is a high dose), I might end up having Seroquel WD insomnia and Lamictal induced insomnia. That's something I defininitely want to avoid.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, Althea said:

dj2010, what made you think taking my 46 mg Lamictal would help me sleep? It's quite the opposite: when I taper Lamictal, I start to sleep more deeply. That has led me to conclude that Lamictal has been causing me insomnia (it has that effect on high doses), and that's why I have needed such high doses of Seroquel to sleep. That Lamictal insomnia has been masked by Seroquel. If I would taper off of Seroquel while still on high doses of Lamictal (and 46mg is a high dose), I might end up having Seroquel WD insomnia and Lamictal induced insomnia. That's something I defininitely want to avoid.

Hi Althea, 

I just wanted to say that seroquel helps with sleep and tapering lamictal first will probably be the best thing to do. 

I’m only tapering off seroquel at the moment and I’m down to 7.5mg but it’s still making me sleep. I will eventually get rebound insomnia once I’m off it but I’m not trying to think about that yet. One step at a time.

If you’re going through rebound insomnia because of taoering seroquel first and then you taper the lamictal it would be much harder as you’ve got the severe insomnia to deal with as well as the withdrawals from the lamictal.

I think you are wise to taper the lamictal first.

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

P.s.

I don’t know anything about tapering two meds at the same time but if you decide to do that maybe the mods can help you. 

I’m too exhausted at the moment to read your thread again right now, they may have already given you advice.  I do know that seroquel side effects in the long term are not good. I even remember one of the mods here telling someone to try and get off it before another  med.

If you are worrying about not sleeping without the seroquel, I’m only on 7.5mg and am still sleeping. You are on really high doses.

Hope you figure out what to do xxx

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

16 minutes ago, Carmie said:

I just wanted to say that seroquel helps with sleep and tapering lamictal first will probably be the best thing to do. 

I’m only tapering off seroquel at the moment and I’m down to 7.5mg but it’s still making me sleep. I will eventually get rebound insomnia once I’m off it but I’m not trying to think about that yet. One step at a time.

Hi Carmie,

Nice to "meet" you here! I agree with what you said, thank you for your words! You actually read my mind because I was planning to ask you whether your 7,5 mg still makes you sleep. It's giving me so much hope, even though I know that we are all individuals.

No, mods have not yet given me any advice with my questions about Seroquel switch in my thread. It will be months from now until I need that information, so I'll wait patiently. Now I'll go and update my thread and then, off the screen I go.

Sending hugs, thanks for being here for me and everyone else 🤗

2 hours ago, Althea said:

hi, I meant that because seroquel is absolutely awful to taper, it took me many years of failed tapers to finally get off it, and if lamictal was helping you then it would support you getting off seroquel, but if it is not helping you thats different, its your decision which to taper, I have never been on lamictal before so not familiar with it

hopefully the mods will give some better advice

take care

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

• Administrator

Lamotrigine at too high a dose can interfere with sleep. The "sweet spot" of lamotrigine dosage is different for each person.

Please read this topic from the beginning before recommending any lamotrigine dosage.

• Administrator

For everyone who is curious about taking low-dose lamotrigine for withdrawal syndrome, I have updated this post, which contains most of the information you're looking for, and summarizes answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) that have arisen in this topic.

Please do not send me a pm asking any of the any of the questions already covered in this post and the FAQs regarding taking lamotrigine for withdrawal syndrome.

• 6 months later...

@Altostrata

I was wondering if its possible that lamictal could help with neuro-emotions, sound sensitivity and the moods associated with WD? I know you suggest it for sleep (mod note: see this post), but I do not have a problem with sleep, and I tend to have less energy most days. I'm also still on low doses of Lexapro, and tapering. My situation is special bc I started having WD without tapering my meds, and then I started off with too fast of a taper. I have been de-stabalized since the beginning (2.5yrs ago) but to different degrees. I am currently tapering at a snails pace. 

Thanks! 

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

• Administrator

Lamotrigine is not a sleep drug, it calms the nervous system overall (if you don't take too much of it).

I don't know what lamotrigine would do for you, Peachy.

@Altostrata

thanks for the reply!

But it didn't cause you to be more tired, sleepy or slow in the daytimel? Just calmed/smoothed things out? I was just curious if it helped with the neuro/mental symptoms. 

If I do try it, It will only be very careful micro dosing. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Peachy said:

@Altostrata

thanks for the reply!

But it didn't cause you to be more tired, sleepy or slow in the daytimel? Just calmed/smoothed things out? I was just curious if it helped with the neuro/mental symptoms. 

If I do try it, It will only be very careful micro dosing. 

A micro-dose did not cause med to be more tired, sleepy or slow in the daytime. It reduced the alerting.

7 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It reduced the alerting.

which symptoms went along with the alerting?

did it help with neuro-emotions? 

thanks!

• Administrator

ADMIN NOTE: Read One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome before reading this topic.

Skip to the information in this post and FAQs and read it all carefully. Then read the rest of this topic.

For information about titrating lamotrigine, see Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

• Mentor
On 11/10/2018 at 4:13 PM, Peachy said:

which symptoms went along with the alerting?

did it help with neuro-emotions? 

thanks!

Peachy

my opinion, and it's just that, is that you really don't want to be adding a new drug at this point

I did try a tiny dose of lamictal but it was EXTREMELY difficult to find the "sweet spot"- the dose that helped without making things worse

I also had taken lamictal in the past for a very long time, so I had a good idea how I'd react to it

your time would be much better spent looking for non drug coping skills, honestly

probably not what you want to hear, but i found out the hard way, it's what will help the most

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

For what it’s worth, I agree with Happy.  Lamictal made my symptoms markedly worse and the withdrawal, even from micro doses, was pure hell.  It put me in the hospital twice and then into a wellness rehab for 8 weeks to stabilize.  Google Lamictal withdrawal and you’ll find out quickly that it can cause suicidality among other dreadful issues.  Messing with glutamate was even more dangerous than serotonin in my situation.  Please tread lightly.  

21 years of daily SSRI use in total...

Paxil                                                                                                                                                 1995-1998

Zoloft (50 mg)                                                                                                                                 1998-2002

Lexapro (10 mg)                                                                                                                              2002-2015    (**August 2015, Lexapro “stopped working" after near death of my 1.5 yr. old son**)

Lexapro (15/20 mg) - increasing dose only made SEs worse                                                     Nov 2015 - Mar 2016

Zoloft (25/50 mg) - made derealization worse                                                                            Mar 2016 - Jul 2016

Celexa (20 mg) - made symptoms worse                                                                                    Oct 2016 - Jan 2017

Remeron (7.5 mg) - helped me eat and sleep for 4 nights, then went bad                               Jan 2018 (stopped after 2 weeks)

Lamictal (5.0 mg) - horrific withdrawal                                                                                        Jan 2018 - Oct 2020

TODAY - 100% DRUG FREE 

(Trialed Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta - severe reaction, couldn't tolerate longer than a few days)

• 3 months later...

I see some good/bad to this....wondering if there are any lamactril updates or success stories? Thank you❤️

Rachel - 1998-2012 Prozac 20mg

2012-2014 Prozac 40mg

Sept 17 Remeron 15mg, March ‘18 7.5mg

Jan 31 - Feb 13 1/4 - 1mg Ativan

Jan 31 - feb 5 - 2mg Prozac, 4mg feb 7

feb 10 - 10mg rem, Feb 27 - 7.5mg rem

Feb 27 - March 6th - 5mg Baclofen 

March 12th - Keppra 250mg

March 24 - 30mg phenobarbital 

I’ve already said my piece.  Did more harm that good for me.  Nasty drug with an even nastier withdrawal profile.  Please tread lightly.  

21 years of daily SSRI use in total...

Paxil                                                                                                                                                 1995-1998

Zoloft (50 mg)                                                                                                                                 1998-2002

Lexapro (10 mg)                                                                                                                              2002-2015    (**August 2015, Lexapro “stopped working" after near death of my 1.5 yr. old son**)

Lexapro (15/20 mg) - increasing dose only made SEs worse                                                     Nov 2015 - Mar 2016

Zoloft (25/50 mg) - made derealization worse                                                                            Mar 2016 - Jul 2016

Celexa (20 mg) - made symptoms worse                                                                                    Oct 2016 - Jan 2017

Remeron (7.5 mg) - helped me eat and sleep for 4 nights, then went bad                               Jan 2018 (stopped after 2 weeks)

Lamictal (5.0 mg) - horrific withdrawal                                                                                        Jan 2018 - Oct 2020

TODAY - 100% DRUG FREE 

(Trialed Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta - severe reaction, couldn't tolerate longer than a few days)

• 4 weeks later...

Oh good grief. Thank you for the note. I will be extremely cautious and will hold at .5mg for awhile to see benefit. Hopefully won’t have to go above 1mg - but if it’s that bad maybe Valium would be the better option. Bleh 😕 glad you’re doing better now though ❤️

Rachel - 1998-2012 Prozac 20mg

2012-2014 Prozac 40mg

Sept 17 Remeron 15mg, March ‘18 7.5mg

Jan 31 - Feb 13 1/4 - 1mg Ativan

Jan 31 - feb 5 - 2mg Prozac, 4mg feb 7

feb 10 - 10mg rem, Feb 27 - 7.5mg rem

Feb 27 - March 6th - 5mg Baclofen 

March 12th - Keppra 250mg

March 24 - 30mg phenobarbital 

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2018 at 3:43 PM, Happy2Heal said:

Peachy

my opinion, and it's just that, is that you really don't want to be adding a new drug at this point

I did try a tiny dose of lamictal but it was EXTREMELY difficult to find the "sweet spot"- the dose that helped without making things worse

I also had taken lamictal in the past for a very long time, so I had a good idea how I'd react to it

your time would be much better spent looking for non drug coping skills, honestly

probably not what you want to hear, but i found out the hard way, it's what will help the most

So the micro-dose did not help you at all?

On 11/14/2017 at 11:19 AM, Eleven10 said:

I have managed to get a low dose of lamotrigine from my dr. I have 5mg which I intend to half or quarter. My main worry is it will make me more anxious or agitated which I don't think I could handle. 

Did you end up trying it? Did it help???

On 3/28/2018 at 9:28 AM, GracieAnn said:

I’ve been reading thru about Lamictal. I’m trying to taper Prozac after many years of too quick tapering. I have akathisia that can be quite severe.im wondering if you all would share your takeaway on lamictal? Should I ask my dr for it? Do you feel it speeds the healing of the nervous system?

Did u ever try the lamictal?

On 3/29/2018 at 8:04 AM, Survivor1 said:

I am on 1.25 mg lamictal for severe alerting sensations due to dropping my drugs too fast, and I have seen very good results.  Started two weeks ago getting 2-3 hours broken sleep among other symptoms to today with 6 hours sleep with 1 or 2 awakenings.  For me, it has worked wonderfully.

Clearly it doesn't work for everyone.  But I am thankful it did for me.  Regarding tapering, I think one has to go very slowly off it, maybe even less than 10%, like every other psych drug. 

In short, take at your own risk.

Are you still taking the lamictal? Are you still tapering your drugs at the same time? 

Im considering trying it for the agitation and aggressive feelings, moods, sensitivity, etc. did it help with anything besides sleep? 

Terrified to try it, but it’s been three years and getting worse. Still trying to taper Lexapro. Im stuck...

• 1 month later...

I'm pondering lamictal, just in the hope it'll help with the dissociative symptoms as well as some of the tension/anxiety. 

Reading the above posts gives something of a mixed picture. A couple of people have had success a couple of people feel markedly worse, some are in between. 

If I do decide to try I'll keep you guys posted. Itll be a very small dose thats for sure. 

Citalopram. Briefly early twenties, no ill effects seemingly. Don't remember dose.

Sertraline on and off for ten years.  I was ignorant and started and stopped frequently. Doses of 50, 75 and 100. I can not recall/did not record dates prior to 2018.

JANUARY 2018: Last period of use was was 150mg of sertraline on 14/01/18  (which triggered extreme depression and anxiety that never settled, amongst other symptoms). I then tapered to 100mg in March (15/03/18), then down to 75mg in April(01/04/18) , 50mg later (11/04/18) 25mg in May  (16/05/18),  and was at 0mg in June (02/06/18).

Mirtazapine 15mg 01/08/18- 02/10/18, 15mg (6 weeks at 15mg the two week taper). - caused deeply unpleasant waves of extreme anxiety, depression, zombie state and mania.

Still on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day since April 2018. Supplements: Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B6

• Altostrata changed the title to Lamictal (lamotrigine) to calm post-acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS)
  • 3 months later...

@Altostrata Does it matter which version of lamictal we get?

Brands: Lamictal XR, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal, Lamictal Starter (Orange) Kit, Lamictal XR Starter (Orange), and Lamictal ODT Starter (Orange)

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy