Altostrata

SurvivingAntidepressants.org mentions and honors

Altostrata

ADMIN NOTE Additions from earlier postings on this site

2011 SurvivingAntidepressants.org in Christopher Lane's Psych Today blog

Belaise, 2012 Patient Online Report of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor-Induced Persistent Postwithdrawal Anxiety and Mood Disorders

SurvivingAntidepressants.org has been nominated for a 2012 Best in Show: Community Award in this year's WEGO Health Activist Awards (www.facebook.com/wegohealth).

Thank you to whoever did the nominating. And thank you to our moderators and members who make this community what it is -- the best darn withdrawal site on the Web.

Edited by Altostrata
Added admin note

alexjuice

That's terrific news!

jr1985

Yey! That's great news! :-)

caro123

Well deserved a big thank you to everyone who moderates and contributes !! :rolleyes:

UnfoldingSky

More than earned for sure! Having been on various drug withdrawal sites I feel this one is the best...Good job everyone!

Sparrow

Congratulations! A well-deserved honor.

Sparrow

Jemima

FAR OUT!!! I'm thrilled silly! :D:D:D

dalsaan

Well done Alto, you are a great activist

and congrats to other mods who contribute so much to the site

Dalsaan

strawberry17

Congratulations, this is well deserved Alto!

kerrip

Congratulations, it is totally deserved!

Altostrata

Thanks, everyone, we'll see if anything comes of this. It's nice to be nominated, anyway. (Who did that?)

basildev

Congratulations!

peggy

what fantastic new!

congratulations Alto! - you deserve recognition for what you have achieved :)

Altostrata

strawberry17

Never mind, we know this community is the best.

mammaP

That is a brilliant plug for SA, you must be so happy about this Alto, it You have worked so hard and to see this is great reward for all that work and validates everything that SA stands for.

Altostrata

http://www.thefix.com/content/ssris-worth-risks?page=all

The Unhappy Side of Anti-Depressants

By Jeanene Swanson 06/03/14

....Go on a number of online forums, however, and you’ll find everything from benign to hellish, and short- to very long-term symptoms. A popular web site for SSRI discontinuation syndrome, called Surviving Antidepressants, offers peer support; the second most visited topic is how to quit, or taper, effectively. Says the administrator in an email, “There are hundreds of thousands of patient postings all over the Web about the difficulties of quitting psychiatric medication and benzos, even under a doctor’s supervision.” The administrator adds that there are dozens of sites like this, set up to help confused patients figure out how to best taper based on other people’s experiences....

powerback

well done much deserved .As im dealing with protracted withdrawl i am so thankfull i found this site ,especialy at the start of it when its so scary.keep up the amazing work

Altostrata

Thank you, and welcome.

JanCarol

I found Surviving Antidepressants listed as a reference in Katinka Blackford Newman, "The Pill that Steals Lives."

It's an excellent journalistic expose - for every story of her own that she tells, she also tells of others who have suffered worse, and explains the trends in prescribing and how these horrible events cascade into "mental illness."

Healy reviewed it for scientific accuracy.  It's a really excellent read - less scholarly than Whitaker, very accessible.

Surviving Antidepressants is listed as the 3rd reference for "Where to get Help."

Altostrata

!!!!!!

I didn't know SA had been mentioned in that book.

mammaP

Brilliant! I think I will buy that book it sounds good.

Altostrata

SurvivingAntidepressants.org is prominently mentioned in two recent Psychiatric Times articles:

Online Communities for Drug Withdrawal: What Can We Learn?

Josef Witt-Doerring, MBBS

Daryl Shorter, MD

Thomas Kosten, MD

Apr 18, 2018

In this age of chat rooms and social media, an ever-growing number of psychiatric patients use the internet to find their treatment community online. Interactive forums, Youtube.com, and personal blogs are now connecting psychiatric patients in ways that were never before available. One treatment focus for these online communities is complicated withdrawal from psychiatric medications. This article discusses this phenomenon in relation to the well-established forums of benzodiazepine and antidepressant withdrawal.

Online forums, such as www.benzobuddies.org and www.survivingantidepressants.org, provide a platform for patients to support each other as they move through their withdrawal symptoms. These interactive sites feature different strategies for managing a wide range of withdrawal-related symptoms. Other sections provide inspiration for users through sharing stories about a successfully completed withdrawal experience. The traffic moving through these sites is mostly from within the US and is substantial: www.benzobuddies.org receives on average 250,000 hits a month and www.survivingantidepressants.org receives approximately 150,000 hits each month.1,2 It is interesting to note that the patient narratives from these websites are generating early clinical data that researchers are using to learn more about unexpectedly difficult withdrawal symptoms and syndromes.3

Antidepressant Withdrawal, Online Data, and a Bottom Line

James Phelps, MD

May 2, 2018

A recent article in the New York Times1 and another in the current print edition of Psychiatric Times2 express concern about antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. These articles raise the question: how many people who begin taking an antidepressant will have severe difficulties when they try to taper off?

Surprisingly, this has not been directly studied (per an hour’s negative search on PUB MED, consistent with work by a UCLA social psychologist3). Indirect data suggest the answer is "a lot."4,5 Several clinical trials underway will generate relevant data(eg, 6,7) but they are still not designed specifically to answer this crucial question.

For further insight, we can look at online communities referenced in the PT article. One of the most advanced of these is SurvivingAntidepressants.org. If testimonials might sway your opinion about the potential severity of antidepressant withdrawal difficulties, this site has hundreds.

Testimonials are easy to dismiss. But regardless of your opinion of testimonials as evidence, the posts at SurvivingAntidepressants.org make one thing clear: venlafaxine is among the most difficult of the antidepressants to discontinue. The large steps between dosage strengths require alternative intermediate strategies, but the large number of beads in each capsule make subdivision difficult (one member describes using a grass seed counter to count individual beads). See the Box for a representative post and notice that the author “is capable of differentiating their [sic] own symptoms," eg, insomnia, from withdrawal symptoms.

Other reasons

We have other reasons to avoid venlafaxine. Unlike SRIs, it can raise blood pressure, worsening hypertension, an all-too-common comorbidity with depression. Venlafaxine has also been found more likely to cause manic symptoms, in patients with bipolar disorder, than other antidepressant such as sertraline and bupropion.8 Since ruling out bipolarity is difficult, and since we have many alternatives to venlafaxine with just as much evidence for their efficacy, one can simply choose something else.

Paroxetine causes significantly more weight gain than other SRIs,9 so skip over that one too. Interestingly, paroxetine also appears disproportionately among patients searching for information about how to stop antidepressants.10

Citalopram can cause arrhythmias in patients with long QT syndrome11 so rather than putting patients through the hassle of serial electrocardiograms, skip over that one too.

Alternative antidepressants

This leaves fluoxetine, sertraline—and bupropion. According to a meta-analysis I reviewed in 2016,12 bupropion is nearly as effective for anxiety as are SRIs, counter to general beliefs. And compared with venlafaxine, it has a far lower propensity to induce manic symptoms.8

As published case reports13,14 and SurvivingAntidepressants.org posts show, stopping bupropion can cause withdrawal symptoms too. But on that website, the density of posts about bupropion is far lower than for venlafaxine (143 versus 2130—among posts numbering over 300,000), which certainly matches my clinical experience of difficulties with bupropion discontinuation: far fewer than with all other antidepressants.

Conclusion

Before starting any antidepressant, share with the patient the potential for difficult withdrawal when stopping it. This is tricky—because we don’t know how often people have horrendous experiences that are truly a result of the discontinuation. The folks at SurvivingAntidepressants.org think that we who prescribe antidepressants grossly underestimate the latent risk they carry. At minimum, they would tell us loudly: stop starting venlafaxine.

I would say: Stop prescribing Effexor, Pristiq, Paxil, and Cymbalta -- to start.

Dr. Phelps's article also contains a quote from this post by our beloved mammaP:

SkyBlue
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

SurvivingAntidepressants.org is prominently mentioned in two recent Psychiatric Times articles:

I would say: Stop prescribing Effexor, Pristiq, Paxil, and Cymbalta -- to start.

Awesome~! !!! 

Frogie

Congrats Altrostra!

Take care,

Frogie xx

FarmGirlWorks

Super kudos on this!

manymoretodays
Posted (edited)

Let's not forget Lexapro/escitalopram as well.......just saying.  Full disclosure of effectiveness as well.  Alternatives offered from the start............ 

And yeah......................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Alto though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Woohoo, making history and change and, and, and...........thrilled!!

Oh and mammaP too!  ❤️

Edited by manymoretodays

mammaP

WOW, I had no idea I was quoted! Thanks Alto. :wub:

Snowyowl16

Wow! This is great news!

Congratulations Alto!

Snowy

Altostrata

From Dr. David Healy's blog

The Horrific Effects of Not Being Believed

April, 18, 2018

The New York Times recently ran an article on Antidepressant Dependence and Withdrawal. This was dissed by British College of Psychiatrist figures from Wendy Burn to Simon Wessely.

It was surprising the NYT ran this article given they – like the guardian – have become active promoters of statins and vaccines but they did.

It was jaw-dropping to find Psychiatric Times, a periodical that offers a voice to American Psychiatric Association members, offer just as punchy an article as the NYT or even more so.  Psychiatric Times acknowledged that we don’t know what is going on and that psychiatry needs to wake up fast or its congregation are going to stop believing in it and turn to other sources like Surviving Antidepressants.

manymoretodays

Magnificent.  Awesome.  Wooohoo!!!!!!  We matter!  Not that I ever thought we didn't.......

Altostrata

SurvivingAntidepressants.org has played a role in development of Cinderella Therapeutics tapering strips.

Dr. Peter C. Groot has spearheaded this development. I have been corresponding with him for years.

14 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Dr. Groot also told me:

I am aware of the discussions on [SurvivingAntidepressants]. In fact, one of the comments on your website has been extremely helpful for us and has changed my way of thinking. After we presented the first tapering strip I got the comment that what I was doing was great but that tapering paroxetine from a dose of 20 mg in 1 month was way too fast. After my initial disappointment about this comment (I had been working so hard to work out this scheme) I realized that the schedule we proposed could work for some patients (as it turns out probably only for a very small minority), but not for others. As a result, I started thinking about a more flexible solution, beginning with the addition of a very limited number of extra strips, and finally resulting in the very flexible system that is now in place.

See our discussions here

Groot, 2018 Antidepressant tapering strips to help people come off medication more safely

Netherlands organization is producing tapering kits

Petition calling for tapering kits in the UK

Daily Mail: Tens of millions of Americans are struggling to get off antidepressants - and going to extreme lengths to quit