SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Phosphatydilserine, aka phosphatidyl serine (Seriphos or Cortiphos)

alex

So I read a whole thread about people trying phosphatidylserine did work for people or not? I couldn't really tell if it did or not. I would like to know what supplements or ideas worked for people to balance their cortisol levels?

I know, MLL, I had the same feeling when I read the topic last year, no glowing praise OR outright condemnation of it to be found. I think it works for some, others say not. Our Alex used it quite extensively, not sure if he still does.

It seems as though cortisol levels balance when the nervous system calms down and not directly as a result of any drugs, supplements or hopeful thinking. Time is the healer, I guess. Attention to diet and getting mild exercise every day. In my case, it was such a gradual thing but here it is a year after acute WD destabilization and a lot of the high cortisol alerting symptoms have cleared. The weight I lost has come back ( :( ), I fall asleep pretty easily, the 'inner vibrations' are gone (those went away early on), I am not startled by feathers rustling anymore.

It must still be a little high because I undertook an exercise regimen a while back and could not lose an ounce of my extra pudge. I lost inches, though. Inability to lose weight is often blamed on high cortisol and lack of sleep and my sleep is still not back to what it was. All you can do is get some PS and try it for yourself. Please post your results in this topic for others to see.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I know Dr. Oz doesn't have a good reputation right now for allegedly providing advice that doesn't work but this list of foods to lower cortisol is worth a shot since if it doesn't work, there is obviously no harm unless you have problems with the foods.

http://www.doctoroz.com/slideshow/cortisol-reduction-grocery-list

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I tried seriphos 100mg last night and it made me feel so tired and it may have given me a headache or that could have been coincidence. Then the next day I felt pretty groggy and out of it and so I'm not sure if I should take it but I do know I need some help getting my adrenals back to normal. Any suggestions?

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

I tried seriphos 100mg last night and it made me feel so tired and it may have given me a headache or that could have been coincidence. Then the next day I felt pretty groggy and out of it and so I'm not sure if I should take it but I do know I need some help getting my adrenals back to normal. Any suggestions?

I am partway through the book Rethinking Fatigue: What Your Adrenals Are (?)Really Trying To Tell You. She is basically saying what Alto has said, "The adrenals are slaves of the brain." It is a lot of information, but helpful. But a lot is in just trying to get your brain to feel safe and unstressed. Regular sleep hours, mild exercise, whole foods, minimize stress as starters. But it does take a long time.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank you, yes I heard it could take a long time. I was told 6 months to a year to get adrenals back to normal.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

A couple more thoughts: somewhere there is a thread on "forest bathing", basically the concept that extended time in nature will naturally lower cortisol production. Also, some nutrients are needed in higher amounts when the adrenals are making an abnormally large amount of hormones. I think magnesium and vitamin C are two, there are probably others. But vitamin C isn't good for everyone in WD. I take, after slowly working up to it, 1000mg twice a day.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

I am partway through the book Rethinking Fatigue: What Your Adrenals Are (?)Really Trying To Tell You. She is basically saying what Alto has said, "The adrenals are slaves of the brain." It is a lot of information, but helpful. But a lot is in just trying to get your brain to feel safe and unstressed. Regular sleep hours, mild exercise, whole foods, minimize stress as starters. But it does take a long time.

Meimei!!!!

That is just the info I needed! That is exactly what I did for the last year and I did it so religiously and rigidly it was not funny. I even stopped cleaning my house because just thinking about it panicked and alarmed me.

I have had this gut feeling I cannot explain that that is the reason I seem to have recovered from the he11 I was in so quickly. Even the pssd.

Thank you! Now I have to go read the book......

MLL: Unfortunately, supplements such as PS don't often work. You started at a high dose and we always recommend you start low and work up. You just cannot coerce your adrenals into working properly during wd, it does not work. Sadly, all of us try anyway and suffer for it. I skipped all the supplements except mag citrate because I had horrible palpitations and aching in my tendon sheaths from inactivity and it was the only thing that helped.

My cortisol must still be high because I wake too early in the morning and I am unable to lose weight but overall I feel so much better than last year. The 'overalerting' from my adrenals has stopped.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I just ordered some PS and now after doing a little research, I fount that some is made from the brains of cows. For a while they were concerned wiTh mad cow disease. Most of the stuff now is from plant derivatives but in this day and age can you trust anyone.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can PS make depression worse, or specifically, can it trigger SAD? I started getting very depressed/anxious in the winter while at university about 9 years ago untiI found omega-3 kept it at bay. However, I've been taking PS in the morning for a few weeks now and I've just had a really (!!) bad week with massive anxiety and depression complete with suicidal thoughts.

Supposedly, there's evidence that people with SAD have an attenuated cortisol awakening response in the winter months (when morning light triggers cortisol release). So by taking PS in the morning, which blocks cortisol. I may have inadvertently triggered my SAD.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Administrator

PS can cause unexpected reactions. People often find it goes south on them in various ways.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Okay I read all the stuff here about phosphatidylserine and I think I want to try it. The problem is the Seriphos brand is not available in my country. So I checked what other brands can I buy here. Most of them seem a bit too expensive for me. I would not want to buy the most expensive ones, just in case it is not working for me...

The cheaper ones seem to be better value but the problem is that they all have other stuff in them. Now I am not sure which one to try....

There is the most expensive one by MusleTech which containts 300mg of phosphatidylserine per capsule. 

Then there is the Now Foods one in softgel form....the problem with this is that it also containts 60mg of Gingko Biloba

But I am most tempted to try one from Scitec Nutrition called Anti-Cortisol http://www.powerbeck.com/scitec-nutrition-anti-cortisol.html

This also contains Glycine and L-glutamine. The Glycine sounds good but not sure about the Glutamine. Alto, you said that you have reservations with glutamine. Can you exlplain why?

Considering that glutamine directly affects the GABA system would that be a problem for me considering that I used to take benzos and sleeping pills too?

I would really want to try it because my sleep seems like to deteriorate.....thx

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

• Moderator Emeritus

I just threw a bottle of PS in the trash. Can't remember why I didn't like it, but I think it was the usual thing, it didn't really help and caused unexpected problems. I wish I had back the thousands of dollars I've spent on supplements over the years, dangit!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Yes I partly feel your pain, of buying stuff that are of no use. That is why I made the decision to limit what I try to the things that are reported to help more people. PS seems one of these things. BTW I was just thinking about this issue today: I wish I could get just a few pieces of capsules of things to try first.... and not buying a whole 60 capsule thing every time...duh

I am even thinking about trying eating a food high in PS first (like herring). Though not sure that would be enough of a dose to feel its effects.

Actually for some reason I am more and more convinced that my insomnia has more to do with the damage done by the benzos and sleeping pills to the whole GABA-Glutamate system. But anyway reducing cortisol with PS sounds good enough for me. (I guess this is more complex thing but still)

Anyway Rhi I would be interested what is your opinion about my question concerning the Glutamine (maybe off topic a but know you know a lot of stuff about benzo withdrawal so thx ;)

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

• 1 month later...

I seem to be able to tolerate Seriphos (1000mg) multiple times a day. Does anyone know if there is a theraputic dose or a max dose?

Started AD in 2009 with Zoloft.

In 2010 changed to wellbutrin and luvox in 2011 added ritalin due to fatigue - went as high as poss on luvox
Different NP in late 2012 and she got me off all that and started me on
-Prozac / -Lamictal  -Risperidone  -Amphet Salts -and Xanax as needed
Stopped meds in early 2013 until supervision. Was off 4 drugs in weeks/a month (don't remember exactly) - still off meds except Xanax when needed
Fall 2013 - crying fits - hadn't cried in over 10 years - shaking, awful anxiety and suicidal depression. As of Feb 2015 ot as bad as Fall/Winter 2013, but still depressed/anxious

Only med I take now is .25 Xanax when needed (few times month) - usually half a pill

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin D Seriphos Cod liver oil

I contacted the Manufacturer and they wouldn't answer any questions. "talk to your doctor" 

Started AD in 2009 with Zoloft.

In 2010 changed to wellbutrin and luvox in 2011 added ritalin due to fatigue - went as high as poss on luvox
Different NP in late 2012 and she got me off all that and started me on
-Prozac / -Lamictal  -Risperidone  -Amphet Salts -and Xanax as needed
Stopped meds in early 2013 until supervision. Was off 4 drugs in weeks/a month (don't remember exactly) - still off meds except Xanax when needed
Fall 2013 - crying fits - hadn't cried in over 10 years - shaking, awful anxiety and suicidal depression. As of Feb 2015 ot as bad as Fall/Winter 2013, but still depressed/anxious

Only med I take now is .25 Xanax when needed (few times month) - usually half a pill

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin D Seriphos Cod liver oil

• 1 month later...

I've been having success with Seriphos to help me sleep through the night and have less cortisol anxiety upon awakenings. It's not fool proof (sounds, light, etc) but overall I'm a fan.

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

Okay I read all the stuff here about phosphatidylserine and I think I want to try it. The problem is the Seriphos brand is not available in my country. So I checked what other brands can I buy here. Most of them seem a bit too expensive for me. I would not want to buy the most expensive ones, just in case it is not working for me...

The cheaper ones seem to be better value but the problem is that they all have other stuff in them. Now I am not sure which one to try....

There is the most expensive one by MusleTech which containts 300mg of phosphatidylserine per capsule. 

Then there is the Now Foods one in softgel form....the problem with this is that it also containts 60mg of Gingko Biloba

But I am most tempted to try one from Scitec Nutrition called Anti-Cortisol http://www.powerbeck.com/scitec-nutrition-anti-cortisol.html

This also contains Glycine and L-glutamine. The Glycine sounds good but not sure about the Glutamine. Alto, you said that you have reservations with glutamine. Can you exlplain why?

Considering that glutamine directly affects the GABA system would that be a problem for me considering that I used to take benzos and sleeping pills too?

I would really want to try it because my sleep seems like to deteriorate.....thx

I am really sensitive to anything that could possibly end up as glutamate, which includes glutamine (was told by orthomolecular docs this would overstimulate me) and I developed irritability on a glycine-containing compound. I think it interfaces somehow with glutamate as well.

56 years old

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Some people are sensitive to glutamine as meimei is. (Monosodium glutamate or MSG is related.) You may or may not be.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

More info on the two PS forms, as they are clearly NOT the same as Alto previously indicated upthread. The two forms can easily be confused as the same when they have entirely different properties:
http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-there-any-difference-between-seriphos-and-phosphatidyldsrine.182334/

"Seriphos is phosphorylated serine, as opposed to phosphatidylserine.

Here's an article which talks about the differences between the two:

Seriphos - phosphorylated serine

Proprietary Blend: Phosphoserine and Ethanolamine 1,000 mg

Other ingredients: Gelatin.

This form of phosphatidyl serine is less expensive and more efficient in converting the stress hormone cortisol than regular PS. Phosphorylated Serine is a pure product and not derived from animal tissue. The serine is from vegetable sources and the phosphate is from a pure phosphate donor compound.

Regular PS (phosphatidylserine) acts as a precursor molecule and is not the active form of the nutrient. In the tissue, regular PS is linked to glyceroland, the appropriate fatty acids specific to each tissue, and is not linked to the fatty acids provided in PS. In short, fatty acids can oxidize in regular PS.

Seriphos, Phosphorylated Serine, is less expensive and does not oxidize. Absorption does not depend upon enzyme availability in the gastro-intestinal tract of the user as does PS.

Seriphos, like PS, stimulates neuronal plasticity, acting as a compensatory adaptive mechanism to cell deterioration, and is capable of preventing or delaying the age-dependent decline of neurotransmitter function.

Chronic stress, physical and mental, can desensitize the hypothalmic-Pituitary-Axis and elevate cortisol. Seriphos can help optimize the stress response, and repair the damage wrought by catabolic stress hormones. PS, when consumed in food provides only 20% of active phosphorylated serine. Each 100 mg of PS only yields 20mg of activated serine following consumption. The bulk of the weight is derived from two fatty acids, acting as a precursor molecule and is not the active form of the nutrient. Seriphos is more stable, economic, and a more active molecule than PS.

Seriphos can improve memory and sleep. Clinical studies show an improvement on both computerized and standard neuropsychological performance tests."

From what I glean from the research thus far, unless evidenced by serum, saliva and urine cortisol testing that shows clear elevations, the PHOSPHORYLATED form may reduce cortisol excessively and produce untoward reactions, therefore the PHOSPHATIDYL form may be the safer bet to err on the side of caution. I have tried both and it was the latter that actually made me feel weak, depressed, and nearly unable to leave my bed upon waking. All Seriphos did was make me relaxed. You'd think it'd be the opposite.

MEDS SUMMARY:

1) Valium: 10mg avg prn from 09-06-14 to 10-20-14
2) Xanax: 0.75mg avg prn from from 09-19-14 to 10-16-14
3) Lexapro: 5mg q.d. from 10-06-14 to 10-16-14
4) switched immediately to Clonazepam: 0.5mg average/day for 2 weeks (10-17-24-10-30-14); titrated to 1mg (0.5mg bid) on 10-31-14 to present; started microtaper @ .625% (.0031250mg x 2) from 08-09-15 to 08-15-15; .800% (.0038750mg x 2) from 08-16-15 to present; destabilized 08-19-15 (due to change from original tablet); reinstated, on day 54, and have tapered a total of 14% as of 09-30-15 with zero symptoms (knock on wood)!
5) Lamictal: 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14, 25mg every 2 weeks; destabilized 01-15-14; reinstated 01-22-15 at 25mg q.d. from 01-24-15 to 02-19-15; cut approx. 3-4mg every 5-10 days until 03-22-15, then cut 2mg every 5-6 days until 05-12-15; holding at 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
Detailed Analysis - Lamictal history: https://app.box.com/s/rnermghleue9aemyhd57l1a00gsk2i4u

6) Also taking meds for blood pressure (Coreg @ 6.25mg b.i.d. and Losartan @ 50mg b.i.d.) + for blood clot I had back in 2012 (Xarelto @ 10mg) + for hypothyroidism (Armour Thyroid @ 1grain q.d.)

HISTORY & SUPPLEMENT LIST: https://app.box.com/s/mc9mch8za2lbizgs9z8j4mzhz2oswn8l

• 1 month later...

maybe it is the phosphorus :) that would be interesting I have read books says Ad drugs were like steroids... in how they affect the body. 

Symptoms of phosphorus deficiency include loss of appetiteanxiety, bone pain, fragile bones, stiff joints, fatigue, irregular breathing,irritabilitynumbnessweakness, and weight change. In children, decreased growth and poor bone and tooth development may 

Distinction between the common symptoms of the phosphate-depletion syndrome and glucocorticoid-induced disease.
Abstract

A phosphate depletion syndrome developed in a steroid-dependent asthmatic patient. Initially, the clinical picture was confused with steroid-associated myopathy rather than the phosphate depletion syndrome which has similar symptoms. The classic biochemical findings led to the correct diagnosis. Cessation of phosphate-binding antacids and phosphorus repletion rapidly corrected the biochemical findings and led to the patient's clinical improvement. Platelet phosphate metabolism was evaluated; it was found to correlate with the phosphorus-depleted state and clinical recovery with phosphate repletion. Attention is drawn to the clinical entity of phosphate depletion which may mimic steroid-induced side effects, both of which may occur in patients receiving steroids and antacids.

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 10 months later...

Has anyone tried taking the supplement seriphos at lacti tomlower cortisol at night and sleep better ?

Xanax PRN ( 1/2 of .25mg approximately 2-3 a month when needed ) since May 2015

In April 2016 started birth control and in my opinion it triggered anxiety for almost a week straight and took 1/2 .25mg Xanax everyday for that week ( never had taken that many in a row before )

Saw the family MD and gave me Prozac 20 mg.

took it for 6 days and could not handle the side effects and had to stop working

Went back to the dr on the 7 day and told me to stop CT . I told him that I was scared to stop so suddenly so he gave me 10mg to take to see if the side effects decreased

Took the 10mg that night and the next day felt so much worse . After that did take anything any more except and antibiotic due to UTI

It's been almost 7 weeks and I have a lot of weakness ( comes and goes) anxiety , cortisol urges at night and worse in the morning which usually lessens throughout the day , tinnitus , heavy leg feeling , fatigue and burning skin mostly my left arm, face and neck mainly when I fee the cortisol surges .

I have it and tried it but can't say I noticed a difference.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

I think you have to take a for s few days to notice a difference . Did it make your symptoms worse ?

Xanax PRN ( 1/2 of .25mg approximately 2-3 a month when needed ) since May 2015

In April 2016 started birth control and in my opinion it triggered anxiety for almost a week straight and took 1/2 .25mg Xanax everyday for that week ( never had taken that many in a row before )

Saw the family MD and gave me Prozac 20 mg.

took it for 6 days and could not handle the side effects and had to stop working

Went back to the dr on the 7 day and told me to stop CT . I told him that I was scared to stop so suddenly so he gave me 10mg to take to see if the side effects decreased

Took the 10mg that night and the next day felt so much worse . After that did take anything any more except and antibiotic due to UTI

It's been almost 7 weeks and I have a lot of weakness ( comes and goes) anxiety , cortisol urges at night and worse in the morning which usually lessens throughout the day , tinnitus , heavy leg feeling , fatigue and burning skin mostly my left arm, face and neck mainly when I fee the cortisol surges .

No seriphos did not make my symptoms worse. I did take it for a few weeks. I cannot say I noticed a difference. I was desperate for sleep so I kept trying.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• 3 months later...

I tried enerphos for two days and then stopped taking it and couldn't sleep the entire night. Has anyone had withdrawals?

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Ok, I just read the Consumer Labs report on Phosphtidyl Serine (PS) and Phosphatidyl choline (PC).  This is my summary of an article read behind a paywall.

All changes in formulations (e.g., Seriphos) are because the old form of PS was made from bovine brain, which is no longer a safe source.  They have reformulated nearly all of them (I don't know where you could find bovine PS anymore) because of mad cow disease.

The tests which showed how marvellous PS is, were all done on bovine PS.  

Subsequent tests on PS from vegetable sources have not had the same outstanding effect that the prior, bovine sources provided.

Vegetable PS is usually made from soy, which is not good for people with thyroid, endocrine, or autoimmune problems.

I will be discontinuing this supplement, a little distressed that I fell for it, but I had to buy a subscription to Consumer Labs to find out.

The one thing they do recommend as valuable in the article is choline, which is found in egg yolks, meat and certain legumes. It is helpful for preventing (though not curing) fatty liver, and recovery from stroke.

PC is the least efficient way to get choline.  The best provider of choline is "choline chloride."  

Since I eat eggs and meat, and beans too - I do not feel the need to add this supplement.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I never took the old formula, so I can't compare the two versions, but I have had pretty good results with the new Neesby Enorphos.  I take 50 mg at bedtime.  When, as almost always happens, I awaken at 2:00 or 3:00 a.m, I take another 50 mg, which gives me--most nights, not all-- another two or three hours sleep.  I've tried another 50 mg when I awaken at 5:00 or 6:00 with no luck.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 months later...

I have read the section on seriphos on the forum and would like to try a small amount to see if it will help my sleep pattern , waking with huge cortisol spikes and overheating , is there another suitable brand other than this that's just as good , I have looked on amazon and found it to be rather expensive, just wondering if there is a cheaper but affective alternative

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• 10 months later...

Have read this thread and still not sure if I should try Seriphos ... Others who have tried it? with good or bad results...

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

Same here, Athena. I’m also looking for more details about Seriphos. 

HopefulOne1

History:

Zyprexa 5mg (21JUL18) ☹️

Mirtazapine 7.5mg (19FEB18), raised to 15mg (20MAR18)

==> taper started; 14mg (23APR18)....9.5 mg (12MAY18)...7.5 mg (02JUN18)...6 mg (23JUN18)....stopped CT (21JUL18)

- Xanax 0.5mg 4-5 days/wk for ~10 yrs; reduced to 2-3 days/wk (19JAN18)

- Lexapro 20mg for ~10 yrs; ~6wk fast taper, last pill 13MAR18

- Provigil 200mg for ~10yrs; quit ct AUG 2017

- ~10 yrs of Prozac, Zoloft & Wellbutrin (not at same time) prior to Lexapro but don’t remember lengths of time or doses.

- Supplements: morning - kelp (iodine), VitD / evening - fish oil, mag gly, fiber 

• Moderator Emeritus

On 3/17/2018 at 5:12 AM, brassmonkey said:

The main ingredient in Enerphos (seriphos is basically  the same stuff) is phosphatidyl serine.  It reacts poorly with antidepressants and antihistamines ( and I just learned today Benzos) causing their affects to increase.  Testing shows that it is "possibly safe" to take for up to six months, but its effectiveness drops off and stops rather quickly.

"Enerphos is the phosphate esters of the serine and ethanolamine that are present in the form of calcium magnesium salts".  It appears to be a refined version of something we already recommend. I don't think the refining will gain us much over the calcium magnesium that we already know works."

Consumer Labs reported the following on PS (Phoshatidyl Serine):

The successful trials were run on an animal based version of PS.  However, this was derived from brain tissue, and with the advent of Mad Cow, they have since started using vegetable sources.

The vegetable based PS has NO EFFECT, is useless in trials, but they trumpet the "successes" based on the animal based version, and apply it to sell the vegetable based version. 

Your body makes all the PS it needs. However, the only way to get a therapeutic dosage of PS is to take a supplement.

PS was originally manufactured from the brains of cows, and all the studies described here used this form. However,
because animal brain cells can harbor viruses, that form is no longer available. Most PS today is made from soybeans or
other plant sources.

There are reasons to expect that plant-source PS should function very similarly to PS made from cows' brains, and some
animal studies suggest that it is indeed effective.
1-5,43-45 However, in preliminary trials, soy-based PS and cabbage-based
PS failed to prove beneficial.

I reported a summary of this in Feb 2017, but was able to get the details out from behind the paywall.
The Aussie naturopaths love PS, I see flyers and ads for it in all the "healthy practitioners" places - but - again, if it's vegetable sourced, the trials do not apply, and it's unethical to use the beef-brain trials to sell a vegetable sourced product.  I got in a discussion (it wasn't quite an argument) with my orthomolecular doc, who doesn't read Consumer Labs and believes that the trials apply to her vegetable sourced PS products.
This may be a strong case for placebo effect (for those of you getting results) and an equally strong case for save your money, it's a marketing scheme.
For choline, I have been trialling  Citicoline (cytidine-5-diphosphocoline), it is supposed to be the best for cognitive function.  But it is very expensive (as is PS), and I don't feel that much smarter, so I will discontinue.  The bottle is $45 - do I feel $45 smarter or more productive each month?  I reckon not.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2015 at 2:55 AM, csm2014 said:

More info on the two PS forms, as they are clearly NOT the same as Alto previously indicated upthread. The two forms can easily be confused as the same when they have entirely different properties:
http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-there-any-difference-between-seriphos-and-phosphatidyldsrine.182334/

"Seriphos is phosphorylated serine, as opposed to phosphatidylserine.

Here's an article which talks about the differences between the two:

Seriphos - phosphorylated serine

Proprietary Blend: Phosphoserine and Ethanolamine 1,000 mg

Other ingredients: Gelatin.

This form of phosphatidyl serine is less expensive and more efficient in converting the stress hormone cortisol than regular PS. Phosphorylated Serine is a pure product and not derived from animal tissue. The serine is from vegetable sources and the phosphate is from a pure phosphate donor compound.

Regular PS (phosphatidylserine) acts as a precursor molecule and is not the active form of the nutrient. In the tissue, regular PS is linked to glyceroland, the appropriate fatty acids specific to each tissue, and is not linked to the fatty acids provided in PS. In short, fatty acids can oxidize in regular PS.

Seriphos, Phosphorylated Serine, is less expensive and does not oxidize. Absorption does not depend upon enzyme availability in the gastro-intestinal tract of the user as does PS.

Seriphos, like PS, stimulates neuronal plasticity, acting as a compensatory adaptive mechanism to cell deterioration, and is capable of preventing or delaying the age-dependent decline of neurotransmitter function.

Chronic stress, physical and mental, can desensitize the hypothalmic-Pituitary-Axis and elevate cortisol. Seriphos can help optimize the stress response, and repair the damage wrought by catabolic stress hormones. PS, when consumed in food provides only 20% of active phosphorylated serine. Each 100 mg of PS only yields 20mg of activated serine following consumption. The bulk of the weight is derived from two fatty acids, acting as a precursor molecule and is not the active form of the nutrient. Seriphos is more stable, economic, and a more active molecule than PS.

Seriphos can improve memory and sleep. Clinical studies show an improvement on both computerized and standard neuropsychological performance tests."

From what I glean from the research thus far, unless evidenced by serum, saliva and urine cortisol testing that shows clear elevations, the PHOSPHORYLATED form may reduce cortisol excessively and produce untoward reactions, therefore the PHOSPHATIDYL form may be the safer bet to err on the side of caution. I have tried both and it was the latter that actually made me feel weak, depressed, and nearly unable to leave my bed upon waking. All Seriphos did was make me relaxed. You'd think it'd be the opposite.

Are you still taking Seriphos? What was the ultimate outcome for you?

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to chime in here to say that Phosphatydylserine is one of my go to supplements. There are other brands besides Seriphos (I had never even heard of seriphos). I'm a bit surprised to see that Seriphos is 1000mg per capsule. I'm taking the PPS from the "Double Wood" brand off of Amazon. 300mg per serving. I've been taking 2-3 servings a day, and I thought that was a lot! This supp is a big part of my anti-fatigue stack. Fatigue has been my worst withdrawal symptom, and labs showed that it's related to sky high cortisol. I can tell when the PPS wears off. The fatigue starts to kick in. I take another dose of PPS and the fatigue typically improves again. 

-SSRIs starting at age 16 - around 1996. Tried just about every one available for a period of a few years. Stabilized on Zoloft. Have been on it since about 2003.
-Added .5mg Haldol for Tourette's and OCD in 2005
-Tapered in fall/winter of 2012, got off of Zoloft completely. Think I went too fast. Long term withdrawal symptoms persisted for months, to the point that I went back to a 100mg dose.
-Found this site, tapered using the 10% plan in 2015. It was really rough. Went back on Zoloft at 100mg.
-Found a great therapist in 2017, learned new self care skills. Started tapering again. Got down to 50mg Zoloft, .4mg Haldol by late 2017 (? - memories a little fuzzy these days)
- Taper got rough again. Held dose at 50mg Zoloft, .4mg Haldol through early 2018. Wife had a baby. Was putting in a lot of hours at work. Had a "poop out". Brain fog, debilitating fatigue, and the works.
- Consulted with a health coach who specializes in mental health and psychiatric drug withdrawal. Developed a plan that involved hormones and supplements. Did a fairly rapid taper on Zoloft and Haldol over the course of 1 year. Felt awful, but it was manageable with the help of the hormones/supplements and frequent visits to my therapist. Psychiatric drug free as of 4/2020. I have about 10 months off of Haldol now, and 6 months off of Zoloft. Battling long term, protracted withdrawal symptoms, and going through h*ll, but so far I've managed to (just barely) keep my high paying job and maintain my relationship with my wife. (Updated 10/2020)

• 1 year later...

D-Serine ? Anyone see benefits?

ProzacNovember 2019: 10MG start

January 2021: up to 60MG 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

April 2021-May: taper to 0MG

June 2021: Zoloft 7 days and ween off. 
August 2021: escitalopram 5MG-10MG

August 2021: Propanol 10MG-20MG as needed 

September 2021: weened off escitalopram over a week.

October 30th: Citalopram 20MG 

November 10th: stopped - 10MG 2 days. 
November 14th: Prozac 20MG

November 18th: stop C/T 

• 1 year later...

I take Seriphos sometimes when the insomnia comes back. It am still struggling as to whether or not it helps it. I definitely have less wake ups when I take it and it seems to when combined with the melatonin amplify melatonin's sleepy feeling. but it seems to still have an affect in the morning.  If I take it I am usually very groggy for a few hours the next day.

???? To  early April 2021: citalopram 20mg. This was a about 12+years

April 2021: stopped taking citalopram 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

6/16/2021 reinstatement of citalopram at 10mg

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

• 5 months later...

Anyone here has tried this  suplement to lower cortisol and help with insomnia?

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy