When God Is Not Enough: Religious States Have Highest Rates of Anti-Depressant Use

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

When God Is Not Enough: Religious States Have Highest Rates of Anti-Depressant Use

AlterNet by Laura Gottesdiener February 14, 2013

They say that religion is the opiate of the masses, but it seems that the opiates of the religious are antidepressants.

A study released yesterday confirmed that Mississippi remains the most religious state in the Union, followed by a handful of its southern belt brothers: Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, as well as the Mormon stronghold of Utah. The Gallup poll showed that 58 percent of all Mississippians identify as “very religious.” The least religious states in the U.S. are the former stomping grounds of the very, very religious Puritans: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire.

But life in these highly faithful states doesn’t seem to be all its cracked up to be. The most religious states in the U.S. share another trait: the highest use of anti-depressants.

Utah has long been the nation’s capital of happy pill popping, with its citizens twice as likely to be on anti-depressants than the general U.S. population. But the rest of the observant states aren’t far behind. Of the top-ten most religious states, nine have higher than average use of anti-depressants.

Some states have startlingly medicated populations.

In Utah, Louisiana and Arkansas--the 2nd, 4th and 5th most religious states in the Union-- nearly 20 percent of the population is on some form of anti-depressants, according to a 2006 study by one of the largest prescription companies.

The rest of the highly religious states aren’t far behind. Mississippi (most religious), Alabama (third most religious), South Carolina (6th), Tennessee (7th), North Carolina (8th) and Oklahoma (10th) have above average rates of anti-depressant use, with 15 to 17 percent of the citizens medicated. Of the top-ten most religious states, only one--Georgia--isn’t disproportionately addicted to anti-depressants. Nationally, the prescription rate was about 14 percent.

Read More

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Very interesting and thought-provoking.. I am surprised that the pattern is opposite of what i expected if usage patterns are tied to weather (lack of sunshine , long winters, rain).

I look forward to others' thoughts.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I'm shocked Utah isn't the most religious state in the Union.

I clicked through to the Forbes article but it seems like they are only showing data for the top 10 most medicated states. I'd like to see data on all fifty states so it's a shame they are not showing. Obviously, to know which are the top 10, you need data on all 50, so they hve it.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm shocked Utah isn't the most religious state in the Union.

I clicked through to the Forbes article but it seems like they are only showing data for the top 10 most medicated states. I'd like to see data on all fifty states so it's a shame they are not showing. Obviously, to know which are the top 10, you need data on all 50, so they hve it.

Hi Alex, yes, I checked thru to the article you mention as well and was disappointed. I was going to post that one instead of the above, but the information was not accessible.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

How are they defining "religious"?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

- Zimmerman

Thanks. I think there's a whole other segment who are believers but avoid the term 'religious' in favor of 'spiritual'. Non-denominational, etc. I don't know how this might effect the outcome or purpose of the analysis.

Of the top 10:

Mississippi

Alabama

Utah

Louisiana

Arkansas

S. Carolina

Tennessee

N Carolina

Georgia

Oklahoma

Of the top 10 I've only been to LA. Spent a weekend or two in New Orleans before the hurricane. I can assure you that I didn't run into many 'very religious' people in N'awlins. I confess I skipped church service that Sunday.

The least religious states are the obvious ones for the most part. I've never been to Washington, Oregon but have spent a lot of time in New England in my life. My impression is that New Englanders are most sophisticated about their supersitions than Texans (since I live in Texas) but not that much less superstitious, though perhaps there is a larger fraction of rational people in New England or WA/OR, but this fraction exists everywhere and always represents a tiny % of the overall pop as far as I've ever observed.

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure the antidepressant use has much to do with self-reports of being "religious", whatever that means. Most of these states are also among the most economically depressed.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I'm not sure the antidepressant use has much to do with self-reports of being "religious", whatever that means. Most of these states are also among the most economically depressed.

I think this is a good point. I can't think of any reason that being "very religious" should affect antidepressant usage rate. So I think you're right in that it's not a causal relationship.

- Zimmerman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Interesting blog discussion. I particularly appreciate "shut up pills". Hadn't heard that before.

I looked at the pictures and I don't really make the same sense of it as boring man.

The most prominent feature is the East|West disparity.

Yea, if there is a valuable takeaway from the pictures, it is not apparent to me. Except WTF with Maine?

- Zimmerman

Oh my gosh Skyler, I wish my mother was alive to see this.

No offense to anyone on this board who has strong religious beliefs but she thought it was all essentially a bunch of cr-p. She would have loved this article.

CS

AlterNet by Laura Gottesdiener February 14, 2013

They say that religion is the opiate of the masses, but it seems that the opiates of the religious are antidepressants.

A study released yesterday confirmed that Mississippi remains the most religious state in the Union, followed by a handful of its southern belt brothers: Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, as well as the Mormon stronghold of Utah. The Gallup poll showed that 58 percent of all Mississippians identify as “very religious.” The least religious states in the U.S. are the former stomping grounds of the very, very religious Puritans: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire.

But life in these highly faithful states doesn’t seem to be all its cracked up to be. The most religious states in the U.S. share another trait: the highest use of anti-depressants.

Utah has long been the nation’s capital of happy pill popping, with its citizens twice as likely to be on anti-depressants than the general U.S. population. But the rest of the observant states aren’t far behind. Of the top-ten most religious states, nine have higher than average use of anti-depressants.

Some states have startlingly medicated populations.

In Utah, Louisiana and Arkansas--the 2nd, 4th and 5th most religious states in the Union-- nearly 20 percent of the population is on some form of anti-depressants, according to a 2006 study by one of the largest prescription companies.

The rest of the highly religious states aren’t far behind. Mississippi (most religious), Alabama (third most religious), South Carolina (6th), Tennessee (7th), North Carolina (8th) and Oklahoma (10th) have above average rates of anti-depressant use, with 15 to 17 percent of the citizens medicated. Of the top-ten most religious states, only one--Georgia--isn’t disproportionately addicted to anti-depressants. Nationally, the prescription rate was about 14 percent.

Read More

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy