beans tapering off celexa

beans

I started tapering off celexa last week by making a 25% dry cut. As the week progressed, I felt more uncomfortable. Emotional, hyper, unable to sleep. So reading through this site, I reinstated almost the full dose, 20 mg. Maybe I'm at 18 mg. Felt better within an hour, the clamp was off my head. If this tapering has to be long, then it is what it is. Better safe than long term syndrome effects.

I'm going to try dissolving the pill in water to get a more exact dose while tapering. Maybe ora-plus if compounding pharms think it will work.

Celexa 20 mg  2002
Benzo FREE - Tapered clonazepam 8/11 to 6/13

Began liquid Celexa taper 2/13

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

too emotional > 2 mg and holding

• Administrator

Welcome, beans.

Well, you've done your reading! I call that a plan.

Here are the general instructions for making a liquid http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Please post in this Intro topic of yours and let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Beans

I am tapering Celexa too. Good move. You felt the WD and you went back up. All during tapers so many of us have to do that.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Beans. You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here. When you have a chance, please add your drug history to the signature area of your profile, like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This will help the rest of us understand your background and offer more on-target advice.

Your Intro topic is a sort of journal which not only keeps the rest of us up to speed, it can serve as a way of looking back to see how far you've come. I've found mine very useful for that, especially at times when I feel discouraged. Please continue to post here by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on "Add Reply".

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi Beans

I am tapering Celexa too. Good move. You felt the WD and you went back up. All during tapers so many of us have to do that.

Nikki

Thanks for the cheers Nikki. I was not sure that was the right thing to do, so I appreciate the feedback.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

Welcome, beans.

Well, you've done your reading! I call that a plan.

Here are the general instructions for making a liquid http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Please post in this Intro topic of yours and let us know how you're doing.

Thank you for the helpful information and links. I'm feeling much more confident about this undertaking.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

Woke up with a racing heart and panicy dream. not nightmare. Wonder if I should take full dose for a while before I taper?

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Administrator

Yes, stabilize at least for a few weeks.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

When I first tried to taper Paxil and was a wreck, I went back on a full dose and felt better right away.

When I tried to taper Lexapro a few time, same thing. And when I first tried to taper Celexa, you got it, I went back on the full dose.

It's so important to try and feel better in between these tapers.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Yes, helpful advice Nikki. Call me chicken, but I'm going to take my sweet time getting off this stuff.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, helpful advice Nikki. Call me chicken, but I'm going to take my sweet time getting off this stuff.

That's the ticket Beans. :) Welcome to the Freedom Train. It's slow but the scenery is great!!! RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thanks tezze & ru, 'the freedom train' I like it. Just get on and ride.

I'm back to full dose, 20 mg, until I feel more relaxed to start again.

I have a tapering question, i'll post here also,

I'm wondering about breaking the dosage into 3 throughout the day, so the 1/2 life is not so tough.

Any opinion/experience with that?

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

Beans you are incredibly wise and have done your research! I've taken 4+ years to taper down, it's the only way to do it with minimal side effects. Think of the tortoise and the hare. Answered your question about the splitting in the tapering forum.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Hi Strawberry & anyone tapering is welcome to answer,

Just wondering,

Do you feel that you can taper slow enough that you feel no symptoms at all? Is that the goal?

Basically, how much discomfort is the norm?

cheers,

beans

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you feel that you can taper slow enough that you feel no symptoms at all? Is that the goal?

Absolutely, none is best!

Basically, how much discomfort is the norm?

Depends on the person tapering, there are many variables. I found a forum to help before neuro sensitization developed, and tapered from 3.5 mgs klonopin. I am now at .4 mgs. diazepam (used a cross taper, not supported by this site). Until I ran afoul of cross over side effects from Lyrica at 1.25 mgs d., I stayed below the WD radar by cutting 10% of the previous dose, one month hold.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Skyler question, diazepam did not help with the klonopin taper? I dont want to be on klonopin forever but this is the longest I have ever been on it (9 months)

Beans, you were on 2 mgs of klonopin for 10 years? along with celexa? wow. I always was able to get off the klonopin once the zoloft kicked in (been on and off multiple times) question is how much klonopin are you taking now?

are you trying to taper from both celexa & klonopin at the same time?

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Please ignore the empty post.. <br><br>Sigh..<br>

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Skyler question, diazepam did not help with the klonopin taper? I dont want to be on klonopin forever but this is the longest I have ever been on it (9 months)

Beans, you were on 2 mgs of klonopin for 10 years?

Lainey, I was on 1 to 2 mgs of klonopin for 22 sorry years.

I tapered off by substituting the equivalence of klonopin for diazepam using the cross taper method developed by Heather Ashton. About 10% of people who do this (this is a rough guess), have problems, so this site does not recommend substitution. I found diazepam no easier to taper than klonopin, and the advantages are of convenience. Diazepam decimals are easier to calculate at lower doses, tablets can be used longer as they come in smaller doses, and the longer half life of diazepam permits once a day dosing. It should be remembered the cross taper itself may be bumpy, and not everyone can tolerate diazepam.

You may want to read this on addiction and dependence.

I'm will post this info in the sub forum for future reference! Lainey, you might want to do some more reading here.

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

Beans to answer your question - absolutely yes it is possible to taper slow enough that you don't feel much withdrawal, for me my taper has been so slow my withdrawals have been really benign, it's only since I got to the last bit, 4mg of Prozac, that I've struggled, but that doesn't mean that would be the case for you.

However I can only comment about tapering SSRI's I have no experience of tapering benzos or other psych drugs.

Like you, before I found places like these forums, I struggled with cold turkeys and too fast withdrawals off zoloft/sertraline, many times and failed many times.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks strawberry, Skyler & laineyk for your answers. Sorry I missed your messages when you posted them.

Today is my second day of my new (and LAST?) taper. liquid citalapram. I cut about 5%. I'll hold that for a while and see how it feels. I'm very happy to be tapering with contact to people who are further along than me.

laineyk,

In answer to your questions- yup -ten years- Klonopin .25 mg - 2mg. Now i'm taking .01 mg ! yippee! I never missed it. [sort of tapering at the same time - not fully]

I sure hope that citalopram is the same. hope! hope!

time will tell

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

Beans good luck with the taper...there's a few of us here tapering Celexa,it's good to have this in common with someone else.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes well done Beans for taking it steady, hopefully the cut will be small enough that you don't notice anything.

Thank you, thank you flower and strawberry,

These first newbie steps are very uncertain for me and I appreciate the camaraderie & feedback.

I'm off to the library for Joseph Glenmullen's book 'The Antidepressant Solution'. I've got so many questions about this withdrawal.

The biggest fear is that I'll be depressed again. But the fact is that I'm not in a "healed" state of mind. Me on SSRI does not equal jovial. In other words, this stuff was not the cure. And more importantly, could it be hindering ultimate healing?

The responsibility is on me to choose to change this status quo.

buckle up

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

The book by Joseph Glenmullen was my lightbulb moment about 7 years ago, however the examples in the book all go quite fast I think so don't read and feel pressured into thinking it will go that fast for you, it may, or it may not, but the principles of what he's saying and the information were a total revelation to me.

The book by Joseph Glenmullen was my lightbulb moment about 7 years ago, however the examples in the book all go quite fast I think so don't read and feel pressured into thinking it will go that fast for you, it may, or it may not, but the principles of what he's saying and the information were a total revelation to me.

Thanks & I will keep that in mind while I read. My plan = slow & steady.

If there are other books you've found helpful - please pass on the title.

beans

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

I think if you look in "In the Media" on here you will find lots of book recommendations.

Week one at 5 % cut: Trouble falling and staying asleep. Dizzy for 5 hours one day only - I thought it was an inner ear problem, took a decongestant. It hasn't happened again. Tinnitus is mild+.

Reading Glenmullen's "The Antidepressant solution". Favorite line so far, pg. 70 "The subjectivity of psychiatric diagnoses makes them vulnerable to commericial exploitation."

Not saying I feel exploited. But it is interesting how business and healthcare get tangled, which may slow the progress potential of healing sciences.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Administrator

It may have been too soon to make a cut, you may wish to hold off on the taper.

Thanks Altostrata. I'm okay, the sleep issues are not extreme, just very different. I wake very easily and frequently all, but I am getting sleep, so can't complain. No nightmares, no anxiety, just an alertness or caffeinated feeling.

I expect to be reaching a peak (?) with symptoms, (since it's been 6 days at 5% cut) and then a dropping away. At that point I will hold for a couple weeks? Assuming all goes as planned?

I wondered about something I read in "The Antidepressant Solution", that not only should one not go too fast, but one shouldn't go too slow. He only said it once, and did not elaborate.

Is there any reason that you would see not to go too slow?

Are there any dangers in going very slow?

Thanks for your help,

beans

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi beans,

There is more danger in fast tapering than slow. No, I don't think there is any danger in going extremely slow.

Here's a link that talks about this subject:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2364-the-slownhttp://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3928-these-are-awesome-for-anxiety-sleeplessness-etcvery-calming/page__pid__45661#entry45661ess-of-slow-tapers/

Going slow gives your brain time to 'catch up' and adjust to not having the med.

Tezza

Wow, thanks tezza for that link. What a contrast to Glenmullen who said 6 months is "excruciatingly slow". I got a lot from the book but I've got a lot more reading to do to get a grip on this phenomenon.

I slept solid last night. Symptoms subsided for this cut? hope so.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

Thanks tezza,

I was thinking cutting once a month to start. Then shorten the time if things are easy. sound too cautious?

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Administrator

Glenmullen recommends adjusting tapers to minimize symptoms. I find it more meaningful that in The Antidepressant Solution he states a taper should be virtually symptom-free.

Altostrata

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I am curious whether there is any reason to be cautious of going too slow.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14