beans tapering off celexa

beans

• Moderator Emeritus

Well if there is a reason that's me stuffed, I've been doing this taper for 5 years :lol:

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

I think Glenmullen was saying some people are so afraid, they go off slower than they need to. From my perspective -- do whatever works and don't set yourself up for withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Just checking in. I'm down 15% from where I started 2 months ago.

Surprised at how strong the symptoms are sometimes. Depression and headaches. But it's bareable. My main reaction is change in sleep. I'll take a nap, but it's "fake" sleep. At night I wake up regularly, but can fall back to sleep regularly too.

I assume (hope?) that tapering will get easier as I will know & anticipate my reaction to cuts?

Wondering if there are foods or activities that make symptoms worse...

Celexa 20 mg  2002
Benzo FREE - Tapered clonazepam 8/11 to 6/13

Began liquid Celexa taper 2/13

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

too emotional > 2 mg and holding

• Administrator

Hello again, beans. That sounds like maybe you're going too fast, or making cuts that are too big. What is your tapering schedule?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I've cut 5% approximately every 3 weeks

I usually feel symptoms right after a cut, and then they go away. That's what it seems like, but I'll know more once I get used to this "lifestyle"

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Administrator

Is that 5% on your last dosage? Your decreases should be getting smaller in milligrams.

Oh, good point. Thanks for your sensitivity to these details.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• 1 month later...

Darn.  I made a second batch, but it separated, I just lost 2 months worth of pills. The only difference was I used only 40 mg pills this time, the first time it was a combination of 20 mg and 40 mg.  Not sure why that would matter.  It never happened with benzo.

Going to have to find another way, I can't risk it happening again.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

Darn.  I made a second batch, but it separated, I just lost 2 months worth of pills. The only difference was I used only 40 mg pills this time, the first time it was a combination of 20 mg and 40 mg.  Not sure why that would matter.  It never happened with benzo.

Going to have to find another way, I can't risk it happening again.

How much are you trying to mix that you lost 2 months worth of pills?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I was just being lazy I guess.  30 x 40mg pills and at the rate that I'm tapering it should have lasted 3 months in the refrigerator.  It worked the first time.  And all through the benzo taper.

bummer

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

I was just being lazy I guess.  30 x 40mg pills and at the rate that I'm tapering it should have lasted 3 months in the refrigerator.  It worked the first time.  And all through the benzo taper.

bummer

In the refrigerator.. you were mixing 3 months in advance and refrigerating?  I use water as a diluent for lyrica and Alto only recommends keeping the mixture no more than 3 days... (I was keeping my mixture for 5 days and caused myself considerable grief).

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

bummer

In the refrigerator.. you were mixing 3 months in advance and refrigerating?  I use water as a diluent for lyrica and Alto only recommends keeping the mixture no more than 3 days... (I was keeping my mixture for 5 days and caused myself considerable grief).

Hi Skyler,

Yes, I use Ora-plus, and generally make 1 batch per month, although compounding pharmacists have told me that it should last even longer.  Soooo much better than water because it is a suspension fluid - meaning the medication stays EVENLY distributed throughout the liquid.  In water, most of these substances fall or spin to the center - you've got to be super fast to get a dose. Fat holds medication better, like milk but I don't drink milk.  So, I found Ora-plus as a natural enough suspension.It's how, or similar to how, pharmacists create liquid medication. 

I love it for the ease of use. I only do calculations once a month, not every day.

However, this batch separated immediately. :excl: Never happened in the 2 years I've been doing this.  :unsure:  The pharmacists I asked said it just happens sometimes.  It must have something to do with the brand (?) of citalopram I'm using. 

Guess I'll have to try water until I figure this out.  :D

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• 4 weeks later...

Finally quit coffee.  again....  but more serious this time.

Just feeling so anxious and unpredictable, why not 'control the things I can' and quit coffee and sugar?  I wasn't taking my mood swings seriously until I lost my temper (inside at least) with a sales person. I was walking around like a ticking time bomb unaware of how my mood was affecting everyone around me. (clich'e but true)  Final straw was fighting with my boyfriend - enough.  I need to chill out.

I felt calmer and much better from the first day off coffee, even with the headaches.

The opposite swing is depression, but luckily I am not in the grips of it, just a lingering 'invitation' to wallow in despair.  Happily, thankfully, I've been able to choose not to accept for now. Maybe the scare is giving me energy to make more positive changes.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• 5 months later...

I'd appreciate suggestions on benefits of updosing versus holding the same dose.  The irritability is more than I've ever experienced.  Unbearable really.  Will it go away on it's own, or do I NEED to stabilize at a higher dose first?

I'm taking 3.5 mg now.  down from 20

any advice is appreciated

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Administrator

What drug are you talking about?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beans,

I merged your topic in tapering with your introduction thread because your question about irritability and withdrawal is part of your own withdrawal process and better understood in context.  It looks like you may have been decreasing too fast.

How long have you been feeling increased irritability?

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu,

I think I've been feeling this way for at least a month.  But it seems just get worse with time even though I've been holding at the same dose for a couple weeks.

It is definitley possible that I've been decreasing too fast.  Since I tapered off clonazepam first, over a two year period, I was used to certain reactions to my reductions.  I never reduced by schedule, but instead by feeling. And since I didn't get the same reactions with celexa, I kept reducing?  Again, just going by feeling.

So wondering now: is it best to go up to a much higher amount? to go up a bit at a time until symptoms abate? or hold as is?

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

It looks like your increased irritability began shortly after you reduced from 12mg to 4mg  on 11/28, which was more than a 50% cut.  But you wrote that you have been feeling that way for more than a month.  Did this begin before or after you made that last big cut?

We recommend cuts of no more than 10% of the current dose.

Then, about 2 weeks later, you made another reduction of .5 mg, even though your irritability was increasing.

Did you hold at 12mg for about 4 months and then drop to 4mg suddenly at the end of November? I'm getting this information from your signature, so please correct me if I'm wrong.  Also, the last date you have as 12/12/12, rather than 13 for the year, but I'm figuring that's a typo.

If this is correct, then its quite possible  that what you are experiencing is a withdrawal symptom from the drop from 12mg to 4mg at the end of last month, and an updose may help.   But you wrote that you have been feeling more irritable for more than a month.

If this is the only symptom which is bothering you, I think its important to work out if this started before you made the cut from 12mg - 4mg, or after.

Keeping daily notes on dosage and symptoms can help to keep track of how things are effecting us as we taper.

Are you still avoiding caffeine?

I'm reluctant to suggest anything until you can clarify that I have these details right.  But it is looking like you would benefit from an updose, close to where you were last stable at 12mg.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi Petu,

Sorry I wasn't clear.

That large jump was actually 50-ish small cuts in a 4 month period.

See, since I taper using liquid, I can make very small daily decreases.

Not saying that's the wisest, but that worked for benzo, so I used that method

since I started tapering Celexa in February.

Once I started feeling irritable, I stopped tapering completely and have held steady. 

This is a new symptom I've never had before in 3 years of tapering.

I notice I do feel much worse after I've over-eaten.

I'm sure it would also be better if I avoided chocolate and caffeine better.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beans,

It sounds like you may have been tapering too fast, here are our tips for tapering off celexa:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/?hl=celexa

If you feel better when you avoid caffeine and chocolate, perhaps it would be good to give those up for a while, I am the same and can no longer have caffeine, it increases anxiety for me.

You could reinstate a little, back up to the dose you were at before the irritability started, or just continue to hold, two weeks really isn't a long time, sometimes people find they need to hold for several months as part of a taper when symptoms persist.

Please let us know what you decide to do and I hope you feel better soon.

Petu.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

beans, it sounds like you went too fast with the micro-taper. Even micro-taperers have to hold sometimes.

As Petu so perspicaciously put it, you might updose very slightly, perhaps back to 4mg, or hold for a good long while.

Thanks for answering my question Petu.

If it's just the same to hold as updose, I'll hold for another month or so then decide.

just saw your response Altostrata.

Okay, I'll go a bit up and hold a month and see how things are.

thanks!

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14