Stomach acid....Tums?

laineyk

I have since all this began been having alot of burping and stomach acid...lost 25lbs d/t no appetite...my stomach pain is upper mid abd section and when I take Tums it helps but its full of calcium and that makes me worry because I heard that calcium is not good for anxiety and I do take magnesium

any thoughts on what to take

Dr said it was probably d/t my anxiety and had me on prevacid but your not supposed to take that long term and I didnt get as much relief from that as I do with Tums

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. Calcium is actually considered a natural relaxant, and people often used to take calcium supplements just for that purpose.

Perhaps they were thinking about the fact that most diets involving processed foods etc. tend to have plenty of calcium (often added to the foods) but don't provide enough magnesium. Not knowing the source of what you were told, that's just a guess.

Also, some people with depression have found that they seem to have unusually high needs for magnesium, and need more (in supplemental form) than diet can provide them. (Some people have the same situation with other nutrients.)

If you have unusually high needs for magnesium and it helps you, by all means take magnesium supplements. But be sure to get enough calcium too, whether from Tums or just from diet. Magnesium and calcium work synergistically. Magnesium won't be utilized properly by the body if you're deficient in calcium.

Some people say that it's best to take supplemental magnesium separately from a calcium supplement or even a meal high in calcium (such as a dairy meal) when using magnesium for immediate effects of relaxation or sleep. I really don't know that that's true - see what works for you.

Some people say their magnesium supplement works best if they take it at bedtime (to relax for sleep) and taking calcium or eating high-calcium meals at other times but not within a certain number of hours before (or after) taking the magnesium supplement. But I've read where other people got the desired results from taking a combined calcium/magnesium supplement. See what works for you.

As for the acid, you might want to keep a "food log" (times/foods eaten - including supplements - and times symptoms appear or worsen). You might find that the problem correlates with certain foods.

(I'm reminded of that because I almost never have stomach burning or acid problems, but the other day I tried eating a small amount of a food that I know is in a group that I'm allergic to, and I did get what for me is extremely rare stomach burning for a day or two. Not saying that's what's causing the problem for you, but you might want to try it and see if a pattern emerges.)

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• Administrator

Tums are fine.

What you want to do is to take calcium apart from magnesium, so you can benefit from both. Calcium and magnesium taken together interfere with each others' calming action.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am a huge fan of papya enzyme for indigestion and heartburn. You can get it at a health food store or sometimes in a health food section of a regular grocery store. In my opinion, it works better than anything else.

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

• Administrator

Great idea. I have some in my fridge.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Stomach acid....Tums?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy