dunerbug

Obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD: Repetitive intrusive thoughts, compulsive behaviors

thecowisback

And that is where my big mistake lies - I believe every one of them when they arise! I just cannot convince myself they are not real until a few days of worrying myself sick has passed. 

mstimc
18 hours ago, thecowisback said:

And that is where my big mistake lies - I believe every one of them when they arise! I just cannot convince myself they are not real until a few days of worrying myself sick has passed. 

My thoughts had the same overwhelming feeling.  A few days or weeks later, they may have seemed ridiculous, but in the moment they were terrifying.  One of my paths to recovery was reducing the "reaction time" between panic mode and letting it go. Sometimes, I'd allow myself a certain amount of time to catastrophize an issue as much as possible until the outcome became absurd, then I gave myself permission to chill out a bit and let it go.

mstimc

It just occurred to me how many times each day we do things that seem prime targets for OCD but we don't really give them a thought.  For example, I'm a woodworker.  When I was in WD and since, I find it therapeutic.  I had an office job, so creating things with my hands gave me a whole different way of being creative.  As you probably know, a woodworker's primary tool is the table saw.  A table saw spins a 10" or 12" blade at about 3,800 RPM and can easily cut off a finger or two if you're careless.  For all my years of unfounded paranoia, I never feared my table saw or other power tools.  I followed all the safety procedures and never did anything careless (and still have all 10 fingers to prove it).  So our OCD can be a selective adversary, choosing to attack our happiness using baseless or unrealistic fears and ignoring others.  To me, it shows that to a large degree, OCD is only as powerful as we let it be.