FeelingAlone - Serotonin Syndrome and withdrawels

FeelingAlone

• Administrator

Give it about 5 days. See how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FeelingAlone

• Altostrata

• tezza

• 2Reds

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear about your plight, FeelingAlone. I'm proposing that one of the ways to "survive antidepressants" is to begin questioning the current medical perspective in support of antidepressants and its most basic view about 'mental diseases". For instance, the medical orthodoxy propagates that serotonin is the substance of happiness in spite of robust evidence that serotonin is linked to brain dysfunction, inflammation, metabolic disruption, stress hormone release, impaired blood circulation in the brain, cancer and so on (see http://www.supplements-and-health.com/tryptophan-side-effects.html ). Or, the popular medical claim that mood disorders are "chemical imbalances" without the medical profession ever elaborating on what it is that's causing these physiological malfunctions (although this has been known for aons). And if causes are not addressed a cure will never be available. At best, their methods are palliative -but more often than not severe harm is the result instead because if you fight symptoms, and not causes, other symptoms (problems) will surely surface in time.

• Administrator

That may be true but we still have to deal with the very real neurological effects of withdrawal syndrome!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ever since I've been in withdrawal, my whole body shakes like I have Parkinson's Disease, does anyone have any suggestion on how to get my body to "chill" and relax?

Celexa 40mg from 2004-Oct. 2012. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Syndrome. Tried to reinstate 3 weeks after ct, but had an allergic reaction to it.

Amitriptyline 25 mg from 11/07/12-11/30/12. Stopped due to inability to stay awake and made anxiety worse.

Lexapro started at 5mg and slowly increased to 15mg Dec. 8 2012-Feb. 15th 2013. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Toxicity.

Lamictal 5mg 3/2/13 to try to stabilize my nerves. Seems to be helping with the brain zaps, emotional rollercoaster, and DP/DR.

Find a reason to smile everyday :-)

• Administrator

Epsom salts baths might help, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2871-healing-bath-for-anyone-who-hurts-or-simply-needs-to-relax-httpwpmep5nnb-7wj/ and magnesium topics in the Symptoms and Self-care forum.

Are you taking fish oil? This seems to help a lot of people.

I can't take fish oil, would flaxseed oil be ok?

Celexa 40mg from 2004-Oct. 2012. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Syndrome. Tried to reinstate 3 weeks after ct, but had an allergic reaction to it.

Amitriptyline 25 mg from 11/07/12-11/30/12. Stopped due to inability to stay awake and made anxiety worse.

Lexapro started at 5mg and slowly increased to 15mg Dec. 8 2012-Feb. 15th 2013. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Toxicity.

Lamictal 5mg 3/2/13 to try to stabilize my nerves. Seems to be helping with the brain zaps, emotional rollercoaster, and DP/DR.

• Administrator

Are you allergic to fish? How about omega-3s from algae? See http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400645/Vegetarian-Sources-of-Omega3.html

No, I'm not allergic, but fish and fish products have never agreed with my stomach.

• Administrator

Hi everyone, I'm in search for a new psychiatrist today. The one who I trusted told me there is no way I'm going through withdrawal from Lexapro because there's no literature on the subject! I told him that after being on Celexa for 8 years and Lexapro for 2 months and then going cold turkey has screwed with my nervous system. I told him that being on ADs for 9 years and then taking the drug away is going to cause serious problems. He told me I'm not a doctor, so what do I know. I know that I'm physically sick and emotionally screwed. So he tried to start me on 25 mg of Lamictal, but I only took 2.5 mg of it and it made my emotions better, but the brain zaps 10x worse. I'm going to try to reinstate Lexapro at 1mg tonight and stop the Lamictal and see if that helps. I'm going to trust my instincts from now on and not listen to someone telling me its all in my head....Why do doctors have to be so damn stubborn and ignorant to the issue of AD withdrawal?!?! So frustrating. Anyways, does anyone know a good doctor in Western Nevada?

• Administrator

There are many, many papers on SSRI withdrawal syndrome, including Lexapro withdrawal.

Here are the doctors we know of http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

I'm sorry there are none in Nevada. You'll have to phone around and see if any seem likely. If you find a good one, please let us know so we can add to the list.

Any MD can write you prescriptions for psychiatric drugs. Some non-psychiatrists have a better understanding of tapering than psychiatrists do. What's important is finding a doctor who you feel listens to you.

FeelingAlone. I am SO sorry. That's just as bad as my doc saying to me that maybe I just have the flu instead of acknowledging signs of withdrawal. I hope there is someone who knows a good doc near you. Good luck, my friend.

2008: Started Lexapro after dealing with a year of not wanting to admit to myself that I had postpartum depression

2008-2010: Normal until 2nd pregnancy, which was WAY more difficult than the first

2011: Struggling with postpartum depression again. Lexapro not working anymore

2012: Wellbutrin, Celexa, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Vistaril, Xanax, Zoloft, Lamictal

January 2013: Zoloft 250mg and Lamictal 300mg

Developed Lamictal rash on my face and a persistent headache.

Weaned down to 100mg for both meds over a few weeks.

Feb 18 2013: Rash unchanged, headache severe. Stopped both meds.

Now dealing with AD withdrawal

Thank you 2Reds for your support :-) I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm telling him that I have brain zaps, extreme rage, nausea, headaches, lethargy, depression, muscle aches, and despair and he tells me its unrelated to stopping ADs. Apparently he can't put 2 and 2 together...

Altostrata, I took a lamictal last night, can I try the Lexapro1mg tonight or do I need to give my body a day break?

• Administrator

How much Lamictal have you been taking and for how long?

My guess is you can take a little Lexapro tonight. I wouldn't continue the Lamictal, though, I'd see how the Lexapro works for you. It may be several days before you feel the Lexapro.

I've been taking 2.5 mg of lamictal for 2 days...I don't understand why it made the brain zaps worse.

• Administrator

Try one thing at a time, a little Lexapro might help.

Altostrata, I decided to give the lamictal a fair shake since I'm too scared to try a low dose lexapro. I'm now on 5mg at night, it really does seem to be helping a lil more each day. My question is, how long do I stay on 5mg for? Do I ever need to increase since it is benefiting me? My thought is if it helps in stabilizing me, can I stay on it for awhile before very slowly weaning myself off of it?

Or is it wise to try maybe even .5mg of lexapro with the lamictal?

• Administrator

Don't jump around with your medications. This will cause a lot of problems. I would not experiment with Lexapro at this point.

If 5mg Lamictal is helping, stay there for quite a while. Think several months, at least. Let your nervous system calm down.

Rather than eliminate your symptoms immediately, that low dose will help your nervous system gradually regulate itself. More is not necessarily better; you may get side effects from the Lamictal. You want your nervous system to recover from the influence of drugs, not to get clobbered by another one.

Thank you Altostrata, that makes sense to me. I guess I'm just so desperate to be "me" again. On my down days, I don't have a lot of patience. I need to remind myself that I won't be fixed overnight. I should appreciate that I'm better, if only slightly, from last week :-) Thank you again for your guidance and support. It helps tremendously to have a place to turn.

• Administrator

When did you increase to 5mg? It takes about 4 days for the increase to reach steady-state in your bloodstream.

2 days ago...Tonight will be my 3rd night at the 5mg dose. I can say though, that the Lamictal has reduced my brain zaps, anger, and some of my derealization/depersonalization. I'm not scared to be by myself and feel like I'm going to be ok. I'm better, but definitely still pretty sick.

• Administrator

Sounds like it's going in the right direction, give it time to let it work.

2 days ago...Tonight will be my 3rd night at the 5mg dose. I can say though, that the Lamictal has reduced my brain zaps, anger, and some of my derealization/depersonalization. I'm not scared to be by myself and feel like I'm going to be ok. I'm better, but definitely still pretty sick.

FeelingAlone, this sounds like great progress! I sincerely hope things continue on this path for you :)

If/When I start a medication, this is exactly what I would want to do. Start one drug at a time and take it extremely slow.

Good luck!

2008: Started Lexapro after dealing with a year of not wanting to admit to myself that I had postpartum depression

2008-2010: Normal until 2nd pregnancy, which was WAY more difficult than the first

2011: Struggling with postpartum depression again. Lexapro not working anymore

2012: Wellbutrin, Celexa, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Vistaril, Xanax, Zoloft, Lamictal

January 2013: Zoloft 250mg and Lamictal 300mg

Developed Lamictal rash on my face and a persistent headache.

Weaned down to 100mg for both meds over a few weeks.

Feb 18 2013: Rash unchanged, headache severe. Stopped both meds.

Now dealing with AD withdrawal

I've been having this symptom for a few days and was wondering if its normal....I zone out and then my mind races like I'm not me anymore, what's the point of this all, am I really here, kinda freaked out by life....please tell me this will pass and I'm not losing my mind!!!

Can someone please tell me this is normal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi FA,

I wish I had a good answer for you, I'm sorry I don't. I don't quite understand this feeling that you're trying to explain. Maybe it's depersonalization or derealization, I'm not sure.

I've had racing thoughts before, though, and that symptom passed. Maybe meditation would help, it could at least be relaxing for you.

Maybe you could try doing something you once enjoyed, something that would require you to really focus.

How long has this been happening? Is it a new symptom? Are you keeping a log of medication dosing and symptoms?

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge than I will be able to shed more light on this matter.

Love,

Tezza

It's been happening for about 4 days now. It's like I check out and go some place else. I believe it is depersonalization/derealization. I think it's my mind trying to adjust to being off ADs. It's really scary. When it happens, I just try to focus on something or get up and do anything I have to focus on. I'm hoping it's just withdrawal symptom and not something permanent. When we are in the midst of withdrawal, we always fear the worse cause we are battling our way through the unknown.

• Moderator Emeritus

FA,

Yes, DP/DR is a symptom of withdrawal and it does get better. You are doing the right thing by getting up and doing things that you must focus on.

Just be very gentle with yourself, you will get past this, it just takes time. Your brain is trying to remodel itself and achieve homeostasis.

I'm sorry you're having a rough patch, just hang in there.

Hugs,

Tezza

Thanks Tezza! It really helps to be reassured during tough times. I don't know what I'd do without this support group. Do you have any other ideas to help cope with DP/DR?

Has anybody tried Visteril for anxiety/nervousness? I hear its non addictive and safe...

• Administrator

Look it up on the Web. I believe it's a tricyclic antidepressant.

I did, it says it's an antihistamine. It's what people used before Benadryl came on the market. It doesn't say any where that it's a tricyclic.

• Administrator

Who recommended it to you? I don't know if it will help or not. If you try it, try a tiny amount first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxyzine

Due to its antagonistic effects on several receptor systems in the brain, hydroxyzine has strong anxiolytic and mild antiobsessive as well as antipsychotic properties.[3] Today it is used primarily for the symptomatic relief of anxiety and tension associated with psychoneurosis and as an adjunct in organic disease states in which anxiety is manifested. Because of its antihistamine effects it can also be used for the treatment of severe cases of itching, hyperalgesia and motion sickness-induced nausea.[4][5] Even though it is an effective sedative, hypnotic, analgesic, and tranquilizer, it allegedly shares virtually none of the abuse, dependence, addiction, and toxicity potential of other drugs used for the same range of therapeutic reasons.