SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

FeelingAlone - Serotonin Syndrome and withdrawels

FeelingAlone

• Administrator

Thank you for that good news, Feeling.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FeelingAlone

• Altostrata

• tezza

• 2Reds

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

I've been stuck in a rut for 3 days now. My anxiety has returned along with shakibess, dizziness, loss of appetite, early morning waking with panic, and really negative thinking about life. I'm hoping this a wave and a window is coming soon. I'm also on my period and it always makes my anxiety much worse. Does anybody else notice their symptoms get worse with their period? Guess I'm looking for reassurance that this typical wave/window pattern and not my original symptoms reoccurring. I'm still on my 5mg of Lamictal. Please send me some kind words and reassurance cause I hate feeling alone and scared.

FeelingAlone

Celexa 40mg from 2004-Oct. 2012. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Syndrome. Tried to reinstate 3 weeks after ct, but had an allergic reaction to it.

Amitriptyline 25 mg from 11/07/12-11/30/12. Stopped due to inability to stay awake and made anxiety worse.

Lexapro started at 5mg and slowly increased to 15mg Dec. 8 2012-Feb. 15th 2013. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Toxicity.

Lamictal 5mg 3/2/13 to try to stabilize my nerves. Seems to be helping with the brain zaps, emotional rollercoaster, and DP/DR.

Find a reason to smile everyday :-)

The morning waking with panic sucked bad this morning, probably an 8/10. It did subside within 30 min and the shakiness isn't too bad. My mood seems to be better too. I just don't want to spiral down again because I'm working full time and don't want to lose my income. I'm probably just catastrophically thinking, but the fear is so strong. Damn anxiety!! Trying to do mindful thinking, but those damn thoughts keep creeping in :-(

Celexa 40mg from 2004-Oct. 2012. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Syndrome. Tried to reinstate 3 weeks after ct, but had an allergic reaction to it.

Amitriptyline 25 mg from 11/07/12-11/30/12. Stopped due to inability to stay awake and made anxiety worse.

Lexapro started at 5mg and slowly increased to 15mg Dec. 8 2012-Feb. 15th 2013. Had to stop cold turkey due to Serotonin Toxicity.

Lamictal 5mg 3/2/13 to try to stabilize my nerves. Seems to be helping with the brain zaps, emotional rollercoaster, and DP/DR.

Fellow survivor of serotonin syndrome here as well.. I thank God my brain has some sort of built in mechanism to help me forget the experience of those feelings. 

Glad to hear you are doing better too!

What helped me during the SS recovery was to write down my feelings, I was angry at my doctor and the ER staff.  I filed a complaint against both but doubt it will amount to anything, but it felt good to have a voice in the matter. 

The anxiety upon wakening is what I'm going through right now too.  You'll get a window of relief, it's as if an angel's hand reaches out and gives you a relief, even if it's short lived, it gives hope that things will be better. 

Lamictal was stimulating to me but also caused me to roll up in a ball in bed.  Not that I recommend any more tapers right now, but it sounds like you are going through the "normal" cycle.

SS is by far the worst experience ever.  One can try to describe it as the muscle clenching and uncontrollable movements but until that demon has been in your body it is hard to describe.  I was given Cogentin to slow down the activity but ended up toxic on that as well. 

It sounds like you are doing the right thing.  And yes, I notice a flare up of problems during period week.  For many months I was getting a period every three weeks, now it has returned to normal but the anxiety and other mood feelings are heightened during that time. 

I keep a daily journal and start to see patterns, seems to help at least brace for it . 

Past: Started on 30 mg of celexa in 2003 with lorazepam for sleep, switched to clonazepam in 2007

Last few years were spent cartwheeling around with various AD cocktails and multiple ER visits

Current:  5 mg celexa, .5 mg clonazepam, 1 mg melatonin for sleep 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello everyone,I've been stuck in a rut for 3 days now. My anxiety has returned along with shakibess, dizziness, loss of appetite, early morning waking with panic, and really negative thinking about life. I'm hoping this a wave and a window is coming soon. I'm also on my period and it always makes my anxiety much worse. Does anybody else notice their symptoms get worse with their period? Guess I'm looking for reassurance that this typical wave/window pattern and not my original symptoms reoccurring. I'm still on my 5mg of Lamictal. Please send me some kind words and reassurance cause I hate feeling alone and scared.FeelingAlone

Having symptoms get worse with your period is VERY common. Almost universal. I'm sure this is a wave for you. Hang in there.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

My therapist wants me to do Mindfulness Body Scan and I was wondering if anyone has a good website they have used. I googled it, but there are so many choices and was hoping you guys can help me narrow it down. I also have a nasty cold: stuffy nose, cough, and body aches...are there any cold medications I can use that won't exasperate my WD or anxiety? Thanks :-)

http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22 UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

• 1 month later...

Hello all, quick question. I'm having surgery on Monday and I'm so panicked about putting meds into my body. Any suggestions on how to calm my fears?

It would help to know that an important part of that fear is caused by w/d neuro-caos.

We are super-extra sensitive.

You will be ok.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Administrator

Is the surgery necessary? If not, postpone it.

If it is, talk to your doctors about your worries, let them know you are sensitive to neuro-active drugs, and get their assurance they will take this into account.

Decline all drugs except those that are absolutely necessary.

Then, calm your mind, trust all will be well, you've done all you can.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, its necessary :-( Fortunately, the procedure itself only last 15-20 minutes. I'm just trying to find a way to deal with the fuzzy head feeling I'm going to have upon waking up....that scares me the most.

• Administrator

Try not to worry about it. You've done your due diligence, you've made your decision, have faith in the future. At this point, perhaps do some meditative breathing to displace the worry, what will happen will happen.

Well I came out of the procedure great!! My anxiety was out of control about the meds, but I let them sedate me and it all worked out. Also, I'm pretty proud of myself for facing my fears. It's a very empowering feeling :-) Time to rest now.