Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol or calcitriol)

Altostrata

I'm having some trouble with vitamin d3. My levels are dropping into the range of deficiency, but when taking only 1000 IU by tablet orally, it seems to trigger an anxiety reaction and a definite worsening of sleep at night. 

This is when taking it as early in the morning as possible and making sure I'm taking some magnesium alongside it. Any advice?

• 2008: Started Citalopram 30mg
  • Sept 2014: Tapered down Citalopram over 6 months and discontinued Feb 2015
  • Severe withdrawals peaked in July/Aug 2015. Totally housebound.
  • Sept 2015: Sertraline started @ 100mg on GP advice.
  • Oct to Dec 2015: Reduced to Sertraline 50mg due to side effects. 
  • Jan 2016 to March 2017: Tapered Sertraline to 2mg @ 10% per month. 
  • Severe withdrawals peaked again June 2017. Totally housebound. 
  • Diazepam: July 2017 5mg // Aug 2017 2.5mg // Sept 2017 1mg // 12th Dec 2017 0.85mg 
  • Sertraline Reinstatement: 23 Oct 2017 5mg // 15 Nov 2017 10mg // 23 Nov 2017 15mg 

• 1 month later...

Low vitamin D is a major cause of sleep problems and fatigue. Both of which can characterise psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Therefore, adequate vitamin D levels is an important factor to optimize.

However, many of us have paradoxical reactions to supplements like vitamin D.

I'm in a situation where my vitamin D levels are low and falling. Yet, when I take it I seem to get intense anxiety, palpitations and sleep trouble the following night (if taking it when first waking up).

I'm a bit confused about how to improve this. Is it a case of continuing to take it anyway? ... Not take it could make D drop to levels where it could be a major cause of issues in itself.

Confused. Jay

• Diazepam: July 2017 5mg // Aug 2017 2.5mg // Sept 2017 1mg // 12th Dec 2017 0.85mg 
  • Sertraline Reinstatement: 23 Oct 2017 5mg // 15 Nov 2017 10mg // 23 Nov 2017 15mg 

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Low vitamin D is a major cause of sleep problems and fatigue. Both of which can characterise psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Therefore, adequate vitamin D levels is an important factor to optimize.

However, many of us have paradoxical reactions to supplements like vitamin D.

I'm in a situation where my vitamin D levels are low and falling. Yet, when I take it I seem to get intense anxiety, palpitations and sleep trouble the following night (if taking it when first waking up).

I'm a bit confused about how to improve this. Is it a case of continuing to take it anyway? ... Not take it could make D drop to levels where it could be a major cause of issues in itself.

Confused. Jay

ive recently tried a vitamin D supplement again and I found it much harder to fall asleep so stopped it again, I dont think I will risk it again now as in a couple of months the sun will be strong enough in the UK to be able to get all the vitamin D need from that, if using a Vitamin D supp then best to get a low dose childs one with a droplet so can start at a very small dose, one like this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Aid-Vitamin-Children-Included/dp/B0082A7GUM/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1515499963&sr=1-1&keywords=childs+vitamin+d

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

5 minutes ago, dj2010 said:

ive recently tried a vitamin D supplement again and I found it much harder to fall asleep so stopped it again, I dont think I will risk it again now as in a couple of months the sun will be strong enough in the UK to be able to get all the vitamin D need from that, if using a Vitamin D supp then best to get a low dose childs one with a droplet so can start at a very small dose, one like this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Aid-Vitamin-Children-Included/dp/B0082A7GUM/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1515499963&sr=1-1&keywords=childs+vitamin+d

Yes good idea. I'm starting with 250-500 IU. 2000 IU is the amount proven to raise levels to optimal. 

Out of curiosity, what time of day did you take it ? You may know this, but a big reason for vitamin D insomnia is taking it too late in the day, since it's essentially a wakefulness hormone. A friend of mine had super disrupted sleep until he took it when he woke up.

Suns a good idea too. But supplements seem like a quicker way to get optimal levels. At least for me, since I'm mostly stuck in the house right now.

Jay

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Yes good idea. I'm starting with 250-500 IU. 2000 IU is the amount proven to raise levels to optimal. 

Out of curiosity, what time of day did you take it ? You may know this, but a big reason for vitamin D insomnia is taking it too late in the day, since it's essentially a wakefulness hormone. A friend of mine had super disrupted sleep until he took it when he woke up.

Suns a good idea too. But supplements seem like a quicker way to get optimal levels. At least for me, since I'm mostly stuck in the house right now.

Jay

I tried taking it early in the morning at around 7am, it made me feel quite tired for some reason but same as last time I could not fall asleep that night, it took me around a extra 1 and half hours to fall asleep, its strange as I also have a SAD lamp which I got to see if it would help with sleep and every time ive tried using it I can not fall asleep that night, luckily my sleep has improved a lot since having epsom salt baths every night so don't need to keep experimenting with supplements etc a lot now,

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

3 minutes ago, dj2010 said:

I tried taking it early in the morning at around 7am, it made me feel quite tired for some reason but same as last time I could not fall asleep that night, it took me around a extra 1 and half hours to fall asleep, its strange as I also have a SAD lamp which I got to see if it would help with sleep and every time ive tried using it I can not fall asleep that night, luckily my sleep has improved a lot since having epsom salt baths every night so don't need to keep experimenting with supplements etc a lot now,

I'm the same with SAD lights. I tried it this week. It's way too stimulating for me, even at low doses and early in the morning.

I think it's just really easy to overstimulate the nervous system. And also, processing vit d supplements or unnatural light takes some physiological energy and is somewhat stressful. We just don't have the capacity to adapt to it yet i guess

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm the same with SAD lights. I tried it this week. It's way too stimulating for me, even at low doses and early in the morning.

I think it's just really easy to overstimulate the nervous system. And also, processing vit d supplements or unnatural light takes some physiological energy and is somewhat stressful. We just don't have the capacity to adapt to it yet i guess

thats correct, with time as you heal you will become less sensitive and then be able to tolerate it better, I could not take much magnesium citrate a few months ago, could only take about 1/8 of a teaspoon and even then it was sometimes activating and made my jaw go all tight etc but over the last 6 weeks I am able to take around a full teaspoon with no problem,

with Vit D supps i think i read on on this thread that its best to start at around 100 IU:  

just to say you know D is good for bones.

I have found studies that link osteoporosis with antidepressant drug. 

(i am french)

1998 prazépam, citalopram /1999 paroxetine prazepam /2000 paroxétine /2001venafaxine, alprazolam, clomipramine * 2002 (dont remember)/2003 clomipramine, alprazolam /2004 clomipramine /2005 alprazolam /2006(dont remember) * 2007citalopram, alprazolam, prazépam, venlafaxine /2008(dont remember) /2009 venlafaxine /2010 venlafaxine *All precedent withdrawal were very fast. I tried many times to stop but didn't know what happened. *2011 mirtazapine (22,5 mg) , norset , risperdal (cold turkey for risperdal and norset, analysis by doctor say that my body does not support and i was in danger) /2012 mirtazapine / 2013 mirtazapine  *october 2014 mirtazapine (15mg) - putting down slowly.   *when i was good for one month i  down 1ml. (1ml of 100ml of water in which there was 1 pill of 15mg of mirtazapine. At the end i remove 1ml of 50ml of water but with 0,5 pill it does the same concentration.) (i down more like "how i feel, because at the beginning i had a calendar tapping 10% every 15 days and i was really bad, so i decided to see one month and after if i was trust in my body, i remove 10% of the dose at the beginning; and at the end i remove 1ml (when the 10% was lower than 1ml). It was more how i feel. (it is just the last 1 ml that i remove rapidly because i think i was attached mentally and i need to break. and 1ml of 50ml of 15/2mg is just 1ml correspond to 0.15mg. ).  -juillet 2017 stop all. 

nov 2017 tetany and gastritis. I found "euphytose", "spasmine", "phyto-stress" from Govital(the more efficient if crisis because more concentrated)  efficient. If very bad i take valerian extract 1000mg (stop crisis). 

january 2022: I survive. Still having no hunger sensation.

Just want to update and say I found I could not tolerate 1000-2000IU tablets but did find I can tolerate 200-400 IUs. I eat it with spinach because magnesium deficiency can be a cause of vitamin d side effects, since mag is utilised for its absorption. It also seems better to have it with a meal, possibly for other cofactors. Also taking it first thing when waking up seems to reduce the chance of insomnia.

Studies show 200-400IU may not be enough to reach the optimal range (~50ng/DL). But it's certainly enough to keep a person out of severe deficiency if taken daily

Would encourage anyone to experiment with these small amounts if like me you find you couldn't handle standard doses.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone ,

i recently had my blood tested at my request of my PCP. It came back with low vitamin D (borderline “deficient”).  He prescribed 50000 IU of D2 once a week for about 4 months.  Has anyone discovered low vitamin D as well and been “cured” by vitamin D supplementation?  

Im still on Pristiq 50mg, now taken every 36 hours.  I still struggle with insomnia as the main troubling side effect otherwise fine but the insomnia is a constant battle and I don’t want to take any sleeping pills so I’m hoping that vitamin D could balance things so that maybe I could taper off this med.

TIA!

Jaco 

June-Current Started Pristiq 50mg 

March-June Discontinued Wellbutrin. 

February 15-March 1 2017: Taper Wellbutrin. 

December 24, 2016- Feb. 15 2017: Switched to Wellbutrin 150mg 2x/day after Genesight testing; 

August 4-December 23, 2016: Reinstate celexa

March 18-August 3, 2016: Switched to Prozac 

Feb-March 2016   Reinstate celexa

Jan-Feb 2016  Tapered 5mg/every week to 0mg

August 2015-Jan. 2016: Celexa 30mg

2008-2016: Celexa 30-40mg/day for anxiety

2006-2007: Strattera ?80mg/day + xanax

I know I was told to take vitamin D3 not D2. I took the one with 1000. But I don't see any difference. I am trying to get it from nature by going out during the sunny day. 

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

Hello Jaco2016,

I had low vitamin D myself and decided to take a supplement and go out in the sun daily for at least 60 minutes.  I had the option of the sun as i fortunately live in south Florida.  I would be careful taking such a large dose once a week.  There are good supplements out there that are D3 which is a more absorbable form from what i have read.  Also, it seems like the liquid forms are better than tablets or pill form.  The supplement i used was Biotics research Bio-D-Mulsio Forte.  It is basically 2000iu per drop.  Instead of taking 50000 in one shot i would take 6000 each day and see how you feel.  Of course, actual sun exposure would be ideal.  There is a website that is dedicated to vitamin D.  https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/ 

Also, there is an app for apple called "dminder"... not sure if they have it for android.

10mg Lexapro in the evening started Feb 9 ,2018 to March 28, 2018

Reduced to 5mg Lexpapro in the morning starting March 28, 2018

.75 Clonazepam in the evening started Feb 9, 2018

Supplements:

Multi-Vitamin (not to high in B vitamins)

Fish oil, soft-gels in morning and cod liver oil at night

Magnesium Glycinate 300 mg

Vit E 200 iu twice a day

Melatonin 3mg half hour before bedtime

"You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength" 

• 5 months later...

I was absent-minded and accidentally took 6 times of vitamin D that is my usual dose. I normally take my small dose with no problems and my levels are better than they used to be.

I also took it accidentally in the evening instead of morning like usually. I thought I was taking different supplement and took it  from the wrong bottle.

I found it activating and I had problems sleeping last night. Or maybe I just got anxious and it made my sleep worse or there are other factors. I used to be really sensitive to supplements before, during withdrawal but nowadays I use some of them with no problems but  I prefer smaller doses, just in case.

It just sucks to make this kind of mistake and think about this :( 

But I was just thinking does vitamin D only have an effect when it is taken long term.  Does even taking only one bigger dose can have any effect eight away or can it even cause adverse reactions during withdrawal when many people are sensitive. It takes time d vitamin levels to build up.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, hennie86 said:

I found it activating and I had problems sleeping last night.

That's not surprising.  Vitamin comes from the sunshine - it should be taking in the morning.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Can bigger vitamin D dose trigger anxiety ? Have anyone had this kind of reaction? I took 2400IU of vitamin D accidentally instead of my normal dose. Normally I use 400 IU daily with no problems and have used it for a long time.  I have had really nasty anxiety after bigger dose, for two days, feeling uncomfortable sensations in my body.

I think I keep a break using vitamin D supplement even though if it is not the cause. Just in case.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

When in withdrawal, our systems are very sensitized to supplements or even foods that normally would be tolerated.  Two days of taking six times your normal dose could certainly have been a shock to your system and cause the symptoms you describe.  You could take a little break then start back.  With supplements we always recommend starting with a low dosage to be sure you can tolerate it.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 8 months later...

I just wanted to add my experience with vitamin D to this thread as a warning to others!

I am a year into withdrawal and have been doing great for the most part. A lot of my symptoms have disappeared and the few that are left are way less in intensity/duration. I haven't been taking any supplements other than fish oil, magnesium, and evening primrose oil and those three were only ever beneficial to me. However, I was advised by my doctor that my vitamin D levels were low and she prescribed 10,000IU vitamin D3 a day (I wasn't aware this was a super high amount until later looking online). Oh boy, WHAT a mistake! I suffered with immense anxiety within 48 hours of taking my first dose. Intense pain in my spine and the horrible symptom that I had my first 9 months of withdrawal (pain and discomfort in my chest) came back!! As well as severe anxiety, followed by emotional hell, and finally now severe fatigue. I was so angry. I didn't even put two and two together until a few days later, so I ended up taking 4 or 5 days worth of it until I realized what was happening. Unfortunately I'm still not feeling well at all though it is lessening in intensity. Unfortunately vitamin D isn't water soluble so I may have to wait a while until my reaction passes completely. It seems to be very common for people to just not tolerate D supplements (especially high doses) in withdrawal and I would recommend to anyone reading this to not even take the chance.

Thinking back, in a cruel turn of events I remembered that 5 years ago when I first started withdrawal (WAY too quickly), my doctor had prescribed the same dose and I had taken that for my first month of withdrawal, which looking back I think was making everything 100x worse! In particular this weird sensation in my chest and severe fatigue which D seems to cause.

Vitamin D is important but I think there is a 'vitamin D craze' going on right now that may or may not be warranted. Levels that were once considered perfectly adequate are now all of a sudden considered deficient, and doctors are prescribing extremely high doses. I did everything "right" that you're supposed to do with D like also taking its cofactors (magnesium and K2) and I still had this horrendous reaction. My level isn't super low at 26 so I'm gong to stop them for now for sure. 

I seem to be able to tolerate plant milks that have a little bit of D2 added to them, but not high or even standard doses of supplemental D3. I also read that magnesium can help raise vitamin D levels. For now I'm just going to stick to that and getting some sun when I can. I guess for some people D3 works great but it really goes to show every body is different.

2001-2011 Zoloft up to 150mg

2011-2013 celexa up to 40mg

2013-2014-begin reducing celexa to 20mg 

2014-2016-on and off celexa up to 30mg

2017- Zoloft up to 150mg

may 2018-cold turkey Zoloft

Thanks for the information about your reaction to vitamin D. I would never have expected that or recognized what was going in, either. 

About 80% of Americans are deficient in vitamin D and I personally have the second lowest levels my doctor has ever seen. 

I hope that you can get your levels up with time, but onviigsky, you will have to start with tiny doses and even then  e alert  for any side effects. 

Most of us are deficient  in several  things due to the inadequate nutrients in our food, as well as the fact that these nutrients get used up too quickly when we are exposed to toxic chemicals because many nutrients are involved as Co- factors in biochemical   detox pathways. . 

The books of Sally Rogers, MD have been very informative for me. I was aghast st some of what I read as it is such crucial information information that was presented in medical literature 20 years ago but which, oddly,  nobody seems  to know about. 

Just like the situation with the dangers of antidepressants.  

As as it turns out, a deficiency in any of perhaps 40 different nutrients can be the cause of severe depression. And a ton of other diseases. 

So ot is important to eat eat a diet full of good nutrition and fur mist peopje, taking supplements is necessary as well. 

Magnesium is another one thst 80% of Americans are deficient in. 

Vitamin C is important, as is glutathione, and 5-HT and tryptophan are recommended for depression. Tyrosine is recommended for energy. 

Everybidy is different, so don’t think that I know specifically what is good for you. It is best to get one’s Levels checked 

organic foods in addition to having many fewer chemicals, also has much more nutritional value. 

I’mcsure most of you know that if you type “toxic 12” into your browser you will be able to easily find the list of the 12 types of produce with the most toxic chemicals. There is the “free  15, or something like that, that lists the 15 cleanest foods. 

If one buys the toxic 12 in organic form and the rest, or at least the free 15, in regular form, one can avoid the worst of the chemicals with the lowest cost. 

The foods are retested every year and a new list put out. Apples and strawberries are always near the top of the worst. Avocados are usually the cleanest. 

If I had had this information 20 years ago, I wouldn’t have had to go through years of depression. It was stated that it ought to be considered malpractice for a psychiatrist not to test a patient with depression’s  levels of all the relevant nutrients.  It virtually no one does this. They reach instead for their prescription pad. 

I personally get profoundly  depressed  when exposed to mold or to insecticides which are toxins which deplete nutrients. 

Most peopke arent that sensitive, of course,   It wouldnt it be s shame to miss the cause of a severe depression that could be remedied by taking magnesium, or vitamin D, or glutathione, etc. 

When i think of those many lost  years of horrible depression and being barely aware because of the antidepressants side effects and think about how it all could have. Even so easily fixed, I get angry. 

All that information, about nutrient deficiencies causing depression and about the horrible effects of antidepressants has been available in the medical literature for at least 20 years, and often two generations. 

How is it that we are all so ignorant??

and on that note, I think I will go to bed. 

I do realize, by the way, that I did get off topic a bit. I just felt it was important for everyone to know this. 

Amitriptyline

trazadone

prozac

mao inhibitor 

wellbutrin

Lexapro

Adderal

Just like you julia, I think there's a vitamin D craze going on. I tried it when my doctor said I was deficient and had horrible reactions to just 400 mgs of it.  I read the information in the packet and it said that it is not for those who have had kidney stones or gallstones. I have had both. It says it can also raise blood sugar, cause calcium deposits etc. so it is not for everyone.  I have friends who are perfectly healthy, never eat dairy and never sun bathe, have no osteoporosis etc and I also know one who takes both vitamin D, calcium and magnesium and has severe osteporosis so I don't believe in any supplement crazes that may stem from the supplement industry and those of us who have been damaged by antidepressants often can't tolerate many supplemnents and I doubt we need them if we eat a varied diet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

SA suggests doing your own research and using caution when introducing new things.  Members in psychiatric drug withdrawal can have sensitised systems and it is better to try a small dose of the substance to test to see how you react to it.  Also only introduce one new thing at a time, as well as only one change at a time, eg do not introduce a new thing at the same time you make a reduction in your drug:  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 6:18 AM, JamesF said:

Jay

That’s great information. Jay. 

Thank you. 

Amitriptyline

trazadone

prozac

mao inhibitor 

wellbutrin

Lexapro

Adderal

• 5 months later...
On 3/13/2011 at 10:33 PM, Altostrata said:

There is little to no evidence showing benefit to 25(OH)D levels above 50 ng/mL, and increasing evidence to suggest that levels of this magnitude may cause harm.

For those with autoimmune disease, the optimal range might be a bit higher (45 to 60 ng/mL) to maximize the immune-regulating benefits of vitamin D

I believe the functional range for 25(OH)D is around 35 to 60 ng/mL. However, I can’t stress enough that there is significant variation among populations

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

• Administrator

There's a lot of confusion in medicine about proper vitamin D levels. This has not been settled. In countries where people don't get a lot of sunshine, such as Scandanavia in the winter, government health systems recommend vitamin D supplementation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

9 hours ago, Superwoman said:

There is little to no evidence showing benefit to 25(OH)D levels above 50 ng/mL, and increasing evidence to suggest that levels of this magnitude may cause harm.

For those with autoimmune disease, the optimal range might be a bit higher (45 to 60 ng/mL) to maximize the immune-regulating benefits of vitamin D

I believe the functional range for 25(OH)D is around 35 to 60 ng/mL. However, I can’t stress enough that there is significant variation among populations

I tried to post comments under these quotes earlier but I couldn’t get it to work.  That is why there are only the quotes and no comments for my last post.  So I will try again. 

The quotes are contradictory. It must be because like @Altostrata said there is confusion about proper vitamin d levels. 

I have autoimmune disorders so according to the doctor of this article the optimal range for me would be (45-60 ng/ml).  But then I was concerned because another quote says that levels above 50 are harmful.  Would it be harmful if my vitamin d levels were over 50 but less then 60?  I want to be in the optimal range to help regulate my immune system and help the depression. But at the same time I definitely don’t want toxicity. 

I had my vitamin d levels checked 3 weeks ago and my levels were 47 ng/ml.  I had been supplementing with 5,000 IU for many months. Note I had not taken vitamin d for several weeks before this test. 

I have not taken any vitamin d now for 7 weeks so the levels will have dropped somewhat.  I thinking that I will need to take vitamin d at some point because my vitamin d levels have always been low without supplementation.  How long do you think it would take for my vitamin d stores to drop too low without supplementing?  I live in a northern state and will get little to no sun all winter.  Do you think I could get through the winter without supplementing?  

I am worried about reactions since it can be activating and I am hypersensitive.  Has anyone tried using a vitamin d oil topically?  I would wonder if this would be better tolerated?  

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

• Administrator

I cannot answer any of your questions about vitamin D and the proper blood level for you with your conditions. I take 2,000IU vitamin D a day, it's a co-factor for bone and thyroid health. I avoid getting a lot of sun because of skin damage.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

https://vitamindwiki.com/Topical+Vitamin+D

Has anyone tried taking vitamin d topically?  See above link.  I wonder if people here who are hypersensitive might be better able to tolerate vitamin d topically rather than orally?

Vitamin d It is used topically to treat skin conditions.  It can be absorbed through the skin. 

https://vitamindwiki.com/Alternatives+if+not+swallow+pills+or+not+absorb+vitamin+D

Above is another link that shows different ways that vitamin d can be taken.  

OH my.... Can anyone help me please...

I took my Vitamin D just 2 months ago as doctor told me I was low on D(7 only), which is pretty low. Then I started to take Vitamin D drops (1000IU) almost everyday.

for the first 2 weeks I actually didn't notice anything, however, the third week I felt bit abnormal fatigued and also strange itchy on one foot thumb. I didn't notice it's VD.

About 3.5 weeks, I felt much more fatigued and agitated mood happened, and about 4.5 weeks, extremely itchy whole body made me couldn't sleep!

I decided to stop it. After stopping it, Around 3.5 weeks time, itchy and fatigue much lessoned, however, my anxiety slowly growing up, today, it went to the top!!! I also had 2 panic attacks! I haven't slept for 48 hours now.

I just wondering is this still causing by VD? I'm so confusing now, I have been holding my Lexapro for a year now, it seems not bad before, but after VD 4 weeks, chaos happened, will that be VD or Lexapro? 

Thanks!

2006 October Zoloft 50mg for anxiety.

2013 March Lexapro 10mg for 18 months to 2015 September.

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2016 11th November taper to 9mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

May 22nd- 6.3mg, June 10th- 5.7mg, Nov- 4.4mg, Dec- 4.3mg,

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• Administrator

It's unlikely that any of those symptom are caused by the vitamin D supplement. It sounds like you're allergic to something you're taking, eating, or in your surroundings. Did you take any antibiotics recently?

Hi Alto, thanks for replying me, no I didn't take any antibiotics, the only thing I took recently was Vitamin D, also I checked my Vitamin D level 1 week ago, it's 55.

2006 October Zoloft 50mg for anxiety.

2013 March Lexapro 10mg for 18 months to 2015 September.

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2016 11th November taper to 9mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

May 22nd- 6.3mg, June 10th- 5.7mg, Nov- 4.4mg, Dec- 4.3mg,

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, Superwoman said:

https://vitamindwiki.com/Topical+Vitamin+D

Has anyone tried taking vitamin d topically?  See above link.  I wonder if people here who are hypersensitive might be better able to tolerate vitamin d topically rather than orally?

Vitamin d It is used topically to treat skin conditions.  It can be absorbed through the skin. 

I tried some topical vitamin d see link... https://www.vitasciences.com/Creams 

I have been tolerating it much better than the oral vitamin d.  The oral vitamin d was upsetting my stomach.  They make a 1000IU and 2000IU.  I started with one pump of 1000 and am now at 2000IU.  I will report back when I get my vitamin d levels checked and see if it raises.  I like that it is a lotion and one less pill.  It felt slightly activating for the first few days and then I adjusted to it.  The company makes other topical supplements such as melatonin. 

• 1 month later...

I used the Sperti Vitamin D lamp and was able to tolerate it well with no issues. I am extremely hypersensiive to everything and cannot tolerate even 400Iu of an oral dose. The Sperti doubled my Vit D levels in less than a  month. It's expensive but works well.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2011 at 2:33 AM, Altostrata said:

NOTE: Vitamin D is a daytime vitamin. Even if you take it in the morning, it can keep you awake at night. Be sure to start low and don't take too much.

Hi @Altostrata so if you take for d3 in the morning it can keep you awake at night? I’m already suffering from insomnia so would you advise I not take this?

I can’t remember exact dates but:

I CT’d 20mg fluoxitine in Aug 2019. I thought to myself well I might as well come off mirtzapine. 10 years on this drug.

I CT’d 15mg Mirtzapine in Sept 2019. 2 years on this drug.

Insomnia started in Oct 2019 but I took no notice of it. I panicked in Dec 2019 as it became worse and of course never left. Hoping I I would get my

sleep back I reinstated mirtzapine hoping may sleep would come back in Dec 2019  at 7.5mg for a few days then 15mg for a few days then

stabilised at 7.5mg when I found SA. 

Since then I have experienced bloating which I have never had before, and a ectopic heart beat. Im exhausted and can't even think, speak or retain what people are saying to me anymore. I used to speak so intellectually and now I can't even get words out. 

• Administrator

"Even if you take it in the morning, it can keep you awake at night. Be sure to start low and don't take too much."

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, 

Sorry for my English... 

A saw a doctor for my aches who prescribed me 1 dose of 50  000 IU vitamin D/ month for 3 month. 

My level is at 22. My WD was slightly during one month with sun every days. I went in garden 2 or 3 times every day 15 mn. Not too much because I didn't have bought sunscreen this year. I've got it now. Usually I used sunscreen each time it is sunny before to go out. 

Since 2 months, it is raining a lot... I sayed  me why not to try carefully? 

I am very suspicious of supplements. That's why I bought little drops instead of the 50 000 IU dose. 

I took 1400IU early this morning and thought that it was little dose. 

I feeled me very bad one hour after taking the drops... rage, anxiety...i stayed in bed in dark trying to calm me and make self care almost all day. 

And I have read all this post... What I thought not a lot could be too much for me. 

I will stop the drops, wait several days or weeks and maybe try just one drop : 200 IU. 

Hope that sun will come back again is a good option too. Just a little time without sunscreen. 

2 lessons

We are never too careful with complements

I think too it is a bad idea to try a a new complement just before periods. (PMS) I just thought about this today. 

Take care. 

Vega. 

2018 : 29 July xanax 0,125x 2 12 Aug 0,25 x 2  28 Aug clotiazépam 5x2 4 Oct Prazepam : 5-5-7,5 to 3,5-3,5-6,5 25 oct 10x3 21 nov 9,5 x3/ Now Taper 2% / 21days = 19 may 2019 7,32x3/ Now 5%/8 days =10 july 5,145 x3 /Now 2% / 21 days = 27 sept 4,75x3/ Now 1%/21 days = nov 4,70 x3 dec 4,65x3 jan 2020 4,60x3 feb 4,50x3 march 4,45x3 april 4,385x3 may 4,32x3 

2018 : 29 Aug Venlafaxine 75mg XR 19 sept 37,5mg 4 oct 75mg18 oct bridge sertraline 1 nov Sertraline 50mg slow taper until mi April 2019= 25mg

15 July Escitalopram 5mg 20 Ju 4mg 22 Ju 3,25mg 23 ju 2,5mg  25 ju 2,25mg 8 Aug 2 mg 16 Aug 1,75mg 20 Aug 1,50mg 12 sept 1,25mg 24 sept 1,38mg 28 sept 1,50mg 8 Jan 1, 60mg

• 5 months later...

@fj929

On 3/30/2020 at 10:27 PM, fj929 said:

I used the Sperti Vitamin D lamp and was able to tolerate it well with no issues. I am extremely hypersensiive to everything and cannot tolerate even 400Iu of an oral dose. The Sperti doubled my Vit D levels in less than a  month. It's expensive but works well.

It's great you had such good results.  I would also like to boost my vitamin D naturally, as I can't tolerate supplements either.  Can you tell us the details - did you use it every day, and for what length of time?  What was your beginning and end vitamin D levels?  Thanks for your help ...

Started .25 mg. clonazapam Oct. 2016

Started 10 mg. Celexa Dec. 2016

Started 10 mg. amitriptyline January 2017

Also took 60 mg. Dexilant Oct. 2016 through April 2017, successfully tapered off

Stopped Celexa successfully Oct. 2017

Fast taper of amitriptyline Dec. 2017, had major WD symptoms and reinstated at 10 mg. Jan. 2018

Slow amitryptyline taper started Mar. 2019, reduced from 10 mg. to 0.93 mg. currently

Also still taking .25 mg. clonazapam daily in late evening

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy