SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DanWilson On Zoloft for 5 years

DanWilson

Hey, I'm new here (obviously). I'm 19 years old, got started on Zoloft when I was 13. I was on it for 5 years, getting off it before I started college at 18. I don't know the dosage rates I took (I never kept track of that), but if I remember correctly I was told it was about average for my age. Basically, I think my libido is way below average for a 19 year old male, and I have a very hard time remembering things, both of which I've found to be side-effects of SSRIs. I'm not really good at writing lengthy blocks of my problems so here's the 3 big questions I have:

1. How long will it take for the Zoloft to work its way out of my system?

2. Could I have done any permanent damage to myself (Memory, Libido, etc) by taking it for so long or taking it at such a young age?

3. Are there any solution's to try and remedy these problems (without more meds)?

Thanks, I'll try and be more descriptive in later posts.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the site, DanW,

Someone with more knowledge will be along to answer you better than I can. I'm pretty sure the Zoloft is out of your body by now, though. Most of the problems we encounter are caused by the medicine leaving the body too fast.

I'm sorry you are still having issues. Please browse through the site, you should find some helpful information.

Welcome! to answer your last question..there is great info in symptoms and self care.

This is the club no one wants to be in.

We should at least have t-shirts and a cool handshake!

In all seriousness, you have found a great resource here.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

• Administrator

Welcome, DanW.

When did you last take Zoloft?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

1. How long will it take for the Zoloft to work its way out of my system?

2. Could I have done any permanent damage to myself (Memory, Libido, etc) by taking it for so long or taking it at such a young age?

3. Are there any solution's to try and remedy these problems (without more meds)?

Thanks, I'll try and be more descriptive in later posts.

1. The Zoloft is long out of your system. What's left is how it remodeled your nervous system.

2. What we see is that people very gradually recover from the iatrogenic symptoms. It can take a long time. Be patient. Post in this topic as a journal to track your progress.

3. See our Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, DanWilson.

I'm sorry to read that you're still having problems with the after-effects of Zoloft, but considering that you took it for five or so years it isn't surprising that your antidepresssant withdrawal symptoms haven't completely cleared up. Lack of interest in sex is a very common after-effect of taking an SSRI, but that does go away over time. Did you, by any chance, go off the Zoloft cold turkey?

I doubt that any permanent damage has been done, and your age is likely on your side. It seems that younger people bounce back a bit faster than us older folks (I'm 67).

In any event, you've come to the right place for good information and friendly, gentle support.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.