Ernie: New bloke on the block

Ernie

First and foremost I very glad to have found this site

I have been on anti depressants since 1991, I am certain I have been on Efxor XR since it first hit the doctors surgery as freebies to hand out, I have never tried to give up but think about it every now and again,

There have been a few times I have run out and been that far away from any town I have had to go without wouldn't want to try that too often I thought my brain was going to short circuit

Even thinking about trying scares the crap out of me,

One thing I have found is the my mood level is mono if that makes any sense flat. I don't get sad but feel I have lost the ability to laugh, really don't know if that is just me or the Drugs

Thanks for letting me join

Looking forward to reading how each individual has managed get off antidepressants

Ernie

Edited by tezza
Added name to Topic Title

Ernie

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ernie,

Welcome! The drugs tend to put a damper on our emotions. That's a common complaint among people on anti-depressants.

Would you mind adding your history by following instructions here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Here is a link on how to taper Effexor:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

Thank and again, welcome to the community,

Tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ernie

Welcome from a fellow Victorian. Emotional numbing is a common experience. I have found coming off meds has broadened out wat I can feel to include more joy which is lovely. I understand your fear about coming off your antidepressant. There are lots of things that reinforce good mental health like fish oil, exercise, good diet, plenty of sleep. Also if you taper off slowly it's likely you can avoid the experience you had when you ran out of pills.

I must say its great you have joined the forum before starting to come off. Many of us got here having started, done it badly and in a very bad way.

This is a very supportive forum. Ask any questions you like

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ernie,

Welcome to the community.

You have done the right thing by doing your research. This site will give you all the information you need to make an informed decision.

Good luck with your taper!

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Ernie.

Yes, lack of emotion is definitely a side effect of antidepressants. I'm still having some problems with that after being off of Lexapro for over a year, but then I "tapered" way too fast and am probably taking longer to recover because of that. You're very smart to study up first before trying to get off the drug.

You'll find lots of valuable information here and lots of gentle, friendly support.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.