Brain scans - fMRI, QEEG, PET, or SPECT - for psychiatric problems

Altostrata

What about diffusion weighted MRI?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

During one of my many google searches I came up with the article below. My neuro psychiatrist suggested that adverse reactions to medications don't have a medical diagnosis but the most seasoned medical expert will put it in the "toxic encephatology" category. I guess it's hard to diagnose with MRIs or CT Scans as we know. But there is a lot of evidence supporting SPECT imaging. I may have one done fir disability purposes. We already know that it's a time healing. Nothing a Doctor can do.

http://iggy131313.blogspot.com/2013/11/toxic-encephalopathy-caused-by-taking.html?m=1

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Administrator

merged similar topics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to ask my gp for a scan and referral to a neurologist. My reaction was so bad my adrenal glands aren't functioning properly, I know this because i have protein in my urine and low pottasium. I had my bloods repested again, and have the results back Monday. I use to have panick attacks sometimes but now I can barely feel my heart beat which must be low cortisol levels. My gp looked concerned listening to my heart on my back. It will be interesting to see what they find.

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

Regular aerobic exercise apparently increases blood flow to all parts of the brain, so I guess that would help. It also ramps up BDNF production as well as other neurotrophic factors, thus increasing neurogenesis/neuroplasticity.

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

I'm too frightened to try this sort of excerise, my heart rythem feels a bit strange. I walk my dog 3-5 times a day, sometimes briskly. I think aerobics is great for those who are nearly out of the woods, but possibly too intense for those who have a lot of symptons. I think swimming, yoga and walking.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Taking fish oil

I'm too frightened to try this sort of excerise, my heart rythem feels a bit strange. I walk my dog 3-5 times a day, sometimes briskly. I think aerobics is great for those who are nearly out of the woods, but possibly too intense for those who have a lot of symptons. I think swimming, yoga and walking.

I'm far from out of the woods yet and no matter how low I have been, I've always made time for exercise because I know the boost it gives me. This is entirely the individual's own choice however.

Btw, although Claire Weekes advice on coping with nervous illness is kind of dated, she maintained aerobic exercise abolished irregular heart rhythms/flutters/palpitations.

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

fMRI's are used extensively in criminal research and on the brains of violent criminals as well as those with schizophrenia etc, it is used to highlight patterns of brain activity versus a standard pallet like a MRI which only shows brain structures and sizes to compare. They definitely have more use than many of the other tests however in terms of specific, regional, and discrete brain regions, PET scans are predominant especially when using ligands to verify brain activity and / or genetic contributions to such activity.

It's important to realize that when extrapolating research one considers the difference between In-Vitro (outside living organism, separate organ itself or assembly in culture dish) & In-Vivo (within a living organism). Rookie mistakes are often done when attempting to take assumptions based on the former as we are not seeing the whole picture. When a living body (even of an animal) has all systems in-tact, the collaboration of such entities gives us a more 'realistic' look of how body systems interact including with the brain, but it also tells us how truly sophisticated it all is and how difficult it is to pinpoint a particular problem, simply because we can have influences to the brain based on gut abnormalities or other bodily problems like kidney failure, or kidney taxing, or liver dysfunction.

1. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/think-act-be/201605/using-brain-scans-diagnose-mental-disorders
  2. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/542467/
  3. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/neuroimaging-and-mental-illness-a-window-into-the-brain/index.shtml

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's hope Mark Zuckerberg & his wife's money invents a new generation of brain scanning so big pharma can see the damage for themselves!

Taking fish oil

We hope that Mark Zuckerberg is giving money to research, which found a solution to this damage :) **** medicines and psychiatrists... :)

I took 45mg of mirtazapine one year ago one month (August 2015 - September 2015) Because i was anxiety. my symptomps: no memory no short -term memory, no emotion, perception, time and space Disorientation, no planning, learning ability, no concentration, imagination power, I do not feel temperature, tastes, smells, poor cognition, confusion, headache in the frontal and temporal lobe, the brain is empty, there is no logical thinking, dr / dp, suicidal thinks

for what I understood, antidepressants (or benzodiazepines etc.) act on neurons, synaptic gaps close, and when they are stopped, neurotransmitters are damaged or become necrotic, or they are too numerous...

what to do to see the damage in neurons is photographe neurons within the synaptic clefts that no longer open, no longer worked and become uselessl and died, that's where we should see the damage, less hormones that pass through the nerves, deluge of hormones etc.

scans show brain tumors for example, but the damage of Sris do not give tumors, . démyiélinisations etc

I think that with these methods we come to nothing

antidepressants act on the neurons, it is here we must look, not the lack of blood or something in brain ...

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

I agree Ketiperri, a solution out of this mess would be amazing. I will dream about that tonight !

Taking fish oil

• 1 month later...

Something troubling me about psychiatry's recent use of brain imagery. They are using it as an excuse to lobotomize patients! No kidding! They claim that since certain parts of the brain light up during periods of obsessive compulsive behavior they can use a laser to kill that part of the brain, thus "curing" the OCD. Talk about stupid! Let's see, since many OCD behaviors such as hair pulling, skin picking and nail biting employ the hands maybe they should amputate the patients' hands. That would cure the behavior since they would never be able to pull their hair or bite their nails again.

http://www.livescience.com/37120-psychosurgery-ocd.html

I have been on so many medications since I was 20 and diagnosed as "mentally ill" that I have lost count.

Right now, however I have been taking:

Lamictal 25 mg: I went on it in March for only 13 days, then cold turkeyed off when I thought I was developing a rash because of it. Pretended to go back on it, but didn't. Not the best idea, but I had no way to reduce the dose. Anyhow I had no adverse withdrawal reactions, probably because I was on it for less than 2 weeks.

Abilify 20 mg:  I have been on this for several years. Actually at least half the time I have spent as a meds "consumer" I have been on this nasty pill. I finished tapering off it at the beginning of 2016. Was reinstated during the 4 days I spent in a psych ward in March. Tapered off it again in 10 weeks, from say March 15-June 30. Needless to say this is not exact, but I remember I was off it before July 4 (patriotic holiday in America!) I am doing fine, although I know I may have to wait till Christmas or later to know I am out of the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. The main thing I notice about being off is that I no longer crave sweets all the time and am losing weight without trying. Good thing since I used to weigh 350 lbs.!

Effexor 150 mg: This is the real trouble-maker. Since I have no other way of tapering I do the best I can by bead counting. I unscrew the gel capsule and count out the tiny micro-capsules or beads inside. This works fairly well with the generic time release version. Only 120 beads to count of almost identical size. Lately I have been "holding" at 20 bead removal due to some major stress in my life. Moving hundreds of miles from my old home and a bout of strep throat that wouldn't respond to antibiotics.  I guess that means I'm on 120 mg of Effexor right now. On October 16 I am going to recommence my taper since I am safely moved and no longer have strep! 

I admit now that I did something stupid. I had trouble opening the extra strength gel capsules containing the beads so I reinstated at the original dose for a week. I know it's not good to play ping pong with my brain, but I could never open the capsules without spilling those microscopic balls all over so I was never sure what dosage I was taking! Thank the LORD that I finally have the old kind again and can safely count out the amount. I am now back on 135 mg and feel somewhat better.

October 30, 2016. I am down to 120 mg effexor. November 27, 2016. Down to 105 mg effexor. December 25, 2016. 90 mg effexor. January 15, 2017. 75 mg effexor. January 21. 82.5 mg effexor. January 23, 90 mg again. Feb. 14, 81.25 mg. Mar. 15, 72.5 mg. Mar. 27, 65 mg.  Apr. 9, 58.75 mg. Apr. 24, 52.5 mg.

• 1 year later...
  • Mentor
On 11/11/2011 at 8:12 PM, Altostrata said:

n the meantime, fMRI has still taught us something interesting: The human brain loves looking at pictures of itself.

ROFL

that's priceless

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Brain scans - fMRI, QEEG, PET, or SPECT - for psychiatric problems

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy