Sleep Apnea Misdiagnosed as BiPolar

compsports

Well, someone just posted on another board that he/she had complained of being tired to PC doctor and when doc couldn't find anything wrong, referred person to psychiatrist who in five minutes diagnosed him/her with bipolar disorder. Fortunately, the poster rejected diagnosis but it still took many more months before he/she was finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.

Both doctors who misdiagnosed this person are a disgrace big time. But sadly, this is par for the course.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

As a bit of extra info about sleep apnea...it can be over-diagnosed too. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but now with hindsight it's clear that the drugs were causing mine...both by having made me gain weight AND by over-relaxing the airway.

I'm by no means questioning that sleep apnea is a valid medical concern for many people, but the drugs can cause these issues too. Also, now that I know how to research diagnosis it's clear to me that my sleep apnea was actually very mild but they actually recommended surgery which, again, for me was total overkill and I was subjected to a very risky surgery (thank god it went well..actually the only medical procedure in my life that didn't go south big time!) Still I don't have body parts now...they took my uvula and my tonsils and again, in retrospect knowing what I know about the body and how it all works together for well-being I would NEVER have allowed them to remove parts of my body and for that I'm very sorry.

I know that for you it's a totally different situation compsports...I know for one thing you're not overweight...I was very overweight and on a lot of drugs when I got the diagnosis...

anyway, certainly if it's a factor before drug use and weight gain it's a much more credible problem...for me the drugs caused the problem and it's worth being aware of that as well for those in a situation more like mine was.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I don't doubt it Gia K and the fact that they recommended the uvula surgery which has a very low success rate in curing apnea is criminal. I am so sorry you went through that.

For folks who might have missed my previous comments, I think the drugs made a mild or moderate case more severe.

Is there anything in the literature that says these drugs cause apnea? Still haven't found anything but I don't doubt it for a second that they do.

CS

As a bit of extra info about sleep apnea...it can be over-diagnosed too. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but now with hindsight it's clear that the drugs were causing mine...both by having made me gain weight AND by over-relaxing the airway.

I'm by no means questioning that sleep apnea is a valid medical concern for many people, but the drugs can cause these issues too. Also, now that I know how to research diagnosis it's clear to me that my sleep apnea was actually very mild but they actually recommended surgery which, again, for me was total overkill and I was subjected to a very risky surgery (thank god it went well..actually the only medical procedure in my life that didn't go south big time!) Still I don't have body parts now...they took my uvula and my tonsils and again, in retrospect knowing what I know about the body and how it all works together for well-being I would NEVER have allowed them to remove parts of my body and for that I'm very sorry.

I know that for you it's a totally different situation compsports...I know for one thing you're not overweight...I was very overweight and on a lot of drugs when I got the diagnosis...

anyway, certainly if it's a factor before drug use and weight gain it's a much more credible problem...for me the drugs caused the problem and it's worth being aware of that as well for those in a situation more like mine was.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

they cause weight gain which is often what triggers sleep apnea and they relax the airways which also contribute and make it worse. No literature is needed really. These are established facts that support the assertion.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.