SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Gadgets for sleep

jr1985

I decided to order myself a Zeo Sleep Manager after reading this http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/knowledge-center/stories/zeo-saved-my-wife The gist is that this man's wife was experiencing cognitive decline. Initially, they thought she may have had sleep apnea, but after using the Zeo to track brain waves during sleep, she discovered her REM sleep had been abolished by the antidepressants she'd been taking. After tapering off, her REM sleep returned and her symptoms improved.

I think it could be useful for showing how different supplements, diet, etc influence your sleep. I ordered myself one from ebay, as no where in the UK had them in stock. I'll update this thread when I get a chance to use it.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

I think Zeo is a wonderful machine that can be very helpful. I couldn't tolerate it...my hyper sensitivity was too much to have the band on my head, but I've known people for whom it's been very very helpful. Would love to hear about your experience. At this point I would be able to tolerate one too...though I don't feel such a need for one now either.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

JR,

Great info! I've wondered if sleep studies identify REM sleep disorder or are geared toward sleep apnea only.

This one paragraph in the content of message in link is concerning :

"So, with the approval of my wife’s physician, we started to slowly ween her off her medication. For about three weeks, nothing dramatic happened. A week ago yesterday, she woke up one morning and within minutes I knew she was ‘back.’ She was just remarkably different. Much more animated, much more engaged, much livelier."

Any references to withdrawing from meds quickly and without incident jump out at me now.

Sorry for the tangent. I look forward to hearing how you do.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I noticed that too Barb. My mum tapered off citalopram with no issues, so perhaps most people can get off without issue. On the other hand, maybe she was hit with massive withdrawal a few months after he made that post and had to go back on.

As for the Zeo, I ordered from the US (for almost half the cost!), so still waiting for it to arrive.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

lots of people go off these drugs without incidence which is a large reason why those of us who have a rough time are not believed.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

As an FYI, the company has gone out of business so I am not sure what means support wise if you have trouble with your unit.

http://mobihealthnews.com/20772/exclusive-sleep-coach-company-zeo-is-shutting-down/

Barb, one of the justifications for a full scale sleep study is it allegedly identifies 400 plus disorders :rolleyes: . The only other one I can think of besides apnea is restless legs syndrome.

And up Gia K, if the majority of people don't have problems with a drug and you do, you are definitely not believed. And even when a good percentage do, you still get blown off.

Doctors don't want to deal with patients who have problems, plain and simple.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

CS (or any),

In your interaction with sleep patients, have you known any diagnosed with REM sleep behavior disorder? How is it treated? I recall very few dreams even after 2 years off Pristiq and suspect my sleep architecture is messed up, but I'm not willing to go through a sleep study only to be told i need another drug.

My husband quick-tapered off of Effexor (20 years on SS/NRIs) about 1 year ago and is just now being hit by intense emotions. His dreams returned about a month after 6 week taper.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

CS (or any),

In your interaction with sleep patients, have you known any diagnosed with REM sleep behavior disorder? How is it treated? I recall very few dreams even after 2 years off Pristiq and suspect my sleep architecture is messed up, but I'm not willing to go through a sleep study only to be told i need another drug.

My husband quick-tapered off of Effexor (20 years on SS/NRIs) about 1 year ago and is just now being hit by intense emotions. His dreams returned about a month after 6 week taper.

When I had a sleep study, one of the techs said hers showed multiple awakenings (over 100/hr) but no apnea. They wanted her to have an MRI, but she was holding off d/t no insurance. An acquaintance had one and was eventually diagnosed with a treatable heart condition.. A sleep center here has an accredited (by some professional agency) psychologist who just works with untangling insomnia. Wish I could send him to your doorstep!

Best, Meimeiquest

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Barb,

If you want me to, I can post your question on the apnea board since there are sleep techs who visit there. Just let me know.

CS

CS (or any),

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Altostrata changed the title to Gadgets for sleep

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy