SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

rosexo: Prozac withdrawal help

rosexo

Hello :)

Basically I was put on a low dose (10mg) of fluoxetine (generic of prozac) in order to help me deal with major depressive disorder, this dose was upped to 20mg a week and a half later. I then started collapsing at random and was told by my gp to stop talking the fluoxetine completely and immediately. I have since suffered disorientation, insomnia and what can only be described as the worst headaches ever (so bad i was asked whether i had suffered a head injury or stroke and have been put on cocodamol to help me cope with the pain.) I would just like some help with lessening withdrawal symptoms as i have a job and am currently studying for a level exams and am in such agony i cannot study or even leave the sofa. Any help or support would be gladly appreciated :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi rosexo,

Welcome to the forum! You will get lots of support and good advice here. I'm sorry you are in pain and agony.

How did you feel when you were on 10mg of fluoxetine? We're you feeling bad from the start?

Alto will be along soon and is very knowledgeable.

Tezza

Hey, thankyou for the reply :)

From the start it made me quite detached and sleepy (which i took to be a plus, as i used to have around 5 hours sleep a night) but nothing apart from that until the dose was increased and the faints started. I just need this stuff out of my system, i had no idea what it could do to me, being only seventeen and all, and i can't cope with the withdrawal.

thankyou :) it was my first antidepressant so i had no idea what to expect, and im pretty sensitive to medication anyway :P i just didn't know side effects could be anything like this, plus my pulse has raised to around 140 while taking it, which is pretty worrying in itself and means im having a variety of blood tests done on monday D:

• Administrator

Welcome, rosexo.

How long were you on 10mg? How long on 20mg? When was your last dose of Prozac?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

It definitely sounds like 20mg was too much for you. Unclear about 10mg.

It's possible that taking a very small amount, perhaps 1mg-2mg, will help the symptoms, which might be withdrawal. If it helps, you would stay at that low dose for a month or so, then taper off by very small amounts. You can make a liquid to take a small amount, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

This may help, not work at all, or make symptoms worse -- it's up to you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thankyou for the advice :)

Unfortunately I can't try taking a small dose as the doctor has completely banned me from touching it again D: I just need the withdrawal to lift, i don't like the idea of being on cocodamol to cope with it long term, as it seems pretty addictive and with a list of fun side effects.

• Administrator

What did your doctor say happened?

You may be dealing with withdrawal syndrome for some months.

If you're in Wales, you could see Dr. David Healy.

Do you have any more pills left?

Hang in there!

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012