Spencer Low dose nortriptyline withdrawal.

Spencer

I was on low dose nortriyline for 3 .5 years for chronic pelvic pain and potential IC

Unknown to me i stopped the drug almost cold turkey without any knowledge of potential withdrawal

My symptoms have been daily nausea / general low energy and light headeness

My Dr said " impossible its withdrawal from that low dose and sent me for a battery of tests ( all normal)

Its been over a month and nothing eases the nausea ( the am its not bad but gets worse as the day progresses )

I have decided to reinstate the drug to see if symptoms ease up .. If positive I know what is really happening to me and will withdraw slowly

Questions: could this be withdrawal symptoms ? Any advise on how to taper ?

A bit overwhelmed

Thanks

Nortriptyline 10 mg for about 2.5 years for chronic pain

Quit cold turkey feb. 12th / bad withdrawal symptoms

Reinstated for 5 days in march / very bad reaction quit again

Suffering with Nausea / headaches / chills

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spencer,

welcome to the forum.

Your symptoms absolutely do sound like withdrawal. Many people on this forum are sensitive to even the slightest changes in medication doses.

Most Doctors don't recognise withdrawal syndrome. Reinstating a small dose of the drug can sometimes help alleviate withdrawal symptoms

Please free to add your medication history in your signature. Here is a link about how to do that:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

An expert will be along very shortly to advise you about tapering.

In the meantime this information might help:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

I wish you all the best.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thank you very much for your reply . I will wait for further information.

• Administrator

Welcome, Spencer.

What dosage of nortriptyline were you taking?

I put together this topic for you Tips for tapering off nortriptyline

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am sorry that I did not mention dose

10ml once daily.

• Administrator

Do you mean 10mg or are you taking the liquid?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

10mg capsules.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spencer,

Welcome! I'm glad you found us! This is the best forum on the web, IMHO.

Alto is most knowledgeable about tapering and/or reinstating. I've followed her advice and been able to reduce several drugs and gotten much better at the same time.

Tezza

Tezza

thanks for your comment ... I was not efficient in providing all the information needed I look forward to the follow up reply and I am encouraged by your progress.

stay well.

• Administrator

Still, even if it's 10mg, you're accustomed to it. For gradual tapering, you'll probably want to use a liquid.

Its Spencer again , as I mentioned in my last replies I have added the 5mg back hoping for some relief however, I feel worse than I did when I was completly off the medication after going cold turkey . Can you feel worse reinstating a dose and I know it was suggested to consider 7.5 mg but of course I am overwhelmed thinking will it help or hinder .The other thought is that I was off completely should I have stayed and waited it out ? Sorry I am so confused and overwhelmed by what is happening /I feel so awful and of course two Dr's I have seen fail to even consider that what I am experiencing is real.

So do I taper or do I try to add more ? PS It was 7 days since I added the 5mg back / the nausea is strong headache, and hot and cold flashes.

Again , I am sorry for the repeated emails perhaps someone with a similiar experiance could give me some words of wisdom.

sincerely,

• Administrator

How have your symptoms changed since you added back 5mg?

Yes, initially I felt a bit better for 2 days and since then I actually feel worse nausea and now headache that was only a bit of fuzziness prior to adding the 5mg.

that is why I am concerned ... should I add to 7.5 or try to go back off ?

thanks again for your support it's appreciated beyond.

spencer

• Administrator

I would try reducing to 4mg. You may have become sensitized to nortriptyline.

Please keep track of your daily symptom pattern and let us know how you do.

I will try 4mg this evening and monitor symptoms thank you for your suggestion

Is there anything that helps with the nausea ? I cannot seem to find anything on site ?

I have tried ginger peppermint and pepto bismal to no avail

• Moderator Emeritus

I found that keeping something simple and small in my stomach helps. A few saltine crackers whenever I just start to feel icky works for me. Get the unsalted ones at first. Hope things settle down for you soon. I think they will... just keep trying to be patient. You're doing a good job of listening, trying things and giving it a bit of time.

As Alto said, please keep track of your daily symptoms by writing them down. I have found patterns in my symptoms that I would not have noticed otherwise and have been able to " fix" them with simple lifestyle changes.

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Dear Alto:

I reduced dosage last night to 4mg and woke up with a crashing headache and the nausea remains... I will stay the course for next few days however, I have a question in that I went cold turkey and wa s off the drug approx for 5 weeks reinstated the drug 5mg last Wednesday only.. if the small dose is not helping should I stop again if the symptoms increase before it builds back up in my system ? or do I need to taper regardless at this point. If so , would I need to follow the 10% for 4 weeks ?

If I felt a bit better the tappering would of made so much sense however, I just seem to be a bit confused as to ]best next steps . My husband is concerned and wondering why continue to take it if you feel worse.

I realize that I have asked many questions but I seem not to be following the norm in this whole matter and I am frightened by the way I am feeling 24/7 ?

I have no experiance what so ever with the process .

I will respect your time as well, but if you could help put this in a bit more perspective for me .. I do not want to go backwards.

thanking you immensely for your time and expertise

sincerely.

• Administrator

I would stay at 4mg for a week, it takes time for the dosage to reach steady-state. Track your symptoms.

If it reduces symptoms, you should stay there for at least a month or two, then taper by very small amounts.

Hi there

I just wanted to reach out as I discontinued the 4mg on Friday night (22nd) ..... As I cannot blame anyone for this decision but I had pressure from my family to just stop ( they were worried and concerned and read that reinstatement after a month would not work ! I am very confused as you can clearly see.

Saturday and Sunday still had nausea but more tolerable today I think all the strength of the withdrawal is back ... Chills headaches and NAUSEA very bad.

I am so sorry I stopped again and I am embarrassed to write in again however , I feel some despair as not sure where to turn and more importantly what to do now .

Sincerely,

Spencer

Ps public health system in Canada .... So hard to find a Dr and if you do it's months for an appt !!

• Administrator

Reinstatement after a month might work, but you need to be consistent with the dosing to find out.

I hope your family is otherwise supportive and won't give you a hard time if you continue to have withdrawal symptoms after giving up on reinstatement.

Thank you for your reply ... Given that I have stopped since Friday would it be suggested I try to reininstate again at 4mg ? How long does it usually take for the reinstatement to settle some of the symptoms . I had reinstated for 8 nights / i think I felt it wasn,t working

I am trusting this lack of confidence is part of what I am going through but I cannot express my appreciation for some guidance

My family is supportive just a bit overwhelmed along with me ... This is all pretty new to us

Sincerely

Spencer

• Administrator

This indicates the 4mg nortripyline was helping, as it sounds like your symptoms got worse after you dropped it:

Saturday and Sunday still had nausea but more tolerable today I think all the strength of the withdrawal is back ... Chills headaches and NAUSEA very bad.

I guess you can start taking it again. The half-life is pretty long.

There are no magic bullets for withdrawal syndrome. With reinstatement, you might get only a small alleviation of symptoms. You have to stick with it to see if it's going to help. Sometimes it takes 6 months or more.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spencer,

When you get a chance, please add your med info lie this:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

(Another member actually requested this, it's helpful to anyone reading your posts)