It's Strange - Zofran helps with more than nausea, but why?

Christiana

I used to have nausea 24/7. Now it comes it waves. Sometimes I take a Zofran, or rather the generic version, which is Ondansetron. Sometimes it takes it away completely, sometimes it just dampens it some, and sometimes it doesn't do anything.

Something strange, or different, if you will, is it clears my head and gives me motivation, if that makes sense. The best way I can explain it is, it gets me out of that funky feeling of not being able to accomplish anything. It's like it connects my head and body, so that instead of thinking about what I need to do and not being able to do it, I can actually get some things done.

I know it somehow affects serotonin, but what exactly it's doing, I have no clue. Does anyone know? All I know is it makes it much easier for me to accomplish some things, although it doesn't completely take away the struggle, but it sure helps.

I'm only able to get a limited supply of it, so I have to use it sparingly, but even just 1 pill per day seems to help. On the days that I don't take any of it, I do notice a difference.

Is it safe for me to take it a lot? Am I hurting my recovery in any way? Could this be a clue, as to why I feel the way I do, when I don't take it?

I really want to tell my doctor about this, but I'm afraid of what they'll think and perhaps not give me anymore of it.

I wonder, do you know of a supplement, homeopathic or otherwise, that works the same way that it does? Perhaps it would be safer?

I'm really interested to hear from anyone about this, as I never expected to react to it the way I do. Thank you very much.

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

even though it's used primarily for nausea in cancer etc, it does appear to be a psychoactive drug and therefore I'd be very very careful with it's use.

it's been used some for schizophrenia as an adjunct treatment but I don't believe it's been approved...just off-label...

the fact is it's psychoactive and therefore is most likely not a good thing to add to the mix while one is in withdrawal except perhaps in crisis sorts of situations.

just my opinion based on the sort of drug it is...I've not seen anyone use it during withdrawal before.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Gia & Alto,

I really don't know what to think about it, now that you all have informed me more about it.

Gia - do you have any links to the studies done on it for that?

Alto - how would it's properties be helping me with an adverse reaction? Perhaps I've got too much serotonin, so its blocking some of it. Do I understand it's action correctly?

Thanks much for any insights you can provide.

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

• Administrator

Whatever it's doing, it's helping your symptoms. I would not conclude you have too much serotonin. Rather, ondansetron seems to act on the vagus nerve, see http://www.drugs.com/pro/ondansetron.html

You might be able get the same benefit from half a tablet.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

I've since quit using it, unless it's just absolutely necessary, especially with GiaK saying it's a psychoactive drug and you Alto saying it acts on the vagus nerve.  Now that I know.  Thank you both for informing me!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but...Just be careful, I had a severe reaction with zoloft and Zofran.

[*]At 15 years was put on 50mg of Zoloft for generalized anxiety and panic disorder.

[*]2006 Tried to withdrawal from 50mg . Doctor told me I would have no trouble. I tampered over about a month (50mg-0) which left me with severe and debilitating withdrawal symptoms. Doctors put my dose up to 75mg mistaking my withdrawal symptoms as a relapse. Stayed on Zoloft 75mg since 2006.

March 2015- adverse reaction between Zoloft (75mg) an antibiotic and anti nausea drug resulting in debilitating symptoms/recovery identical to withdrawal. Have not altered or changed dose since 2006.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy