lexicon: off ADs for 2 months and in horrible distress

lexicon

Admin note: link to benzo forum thread - Lexicon: Please help me, I am confused ..:(

I have been off AD 'S for 2 months now, and still experience horrific distress .. I have issues with my head being in a state of heaviness., numbness, zaps etc.

Also, my neurological system seems to be effected ..

I take Ativan, but it does not seem to help ..Yesterday I suffered an Anxiety attack that would not end ..

My Psychiatrist says that it will take time for the symptoms to go away, but says does not know how long.

I feel he tapered me too quick., dropping 10 ml of Lexapro and 25 ml Zoloft in 15 days ..

Two weeks ago, I was at the ER, as my heart started doing strange and scarry beats..

Please help me, if you have, or are going through these symptoms .. Also please tell me what to expect with this nightmare ..

Lexicon

Edited by Shep
added link to benzo forum thread

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lexicon

• abir

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, lexicon.

Yes, it sounds like you tapered too fast and got bad withdrawal symptoms.

In these situations, when withdrawal symptoms occur, doctors are supposed to reinstate the drug, let the patient stabilize, and taper more slowly later.

Lexapro comes in a liquid, you can get a prescription from him and take a little bit, such as 2mg to start, to see if it helps your symptoms. For more information about Lexapro, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/ Zoloft also comes in a liquid, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/ -- but I would reinstate just one of the two SSRIs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Lexicon. I'm glad you found us.

Tapering off both Lexapro and Zoloft in 15 days is just brutal. I tapered off 10 mg. Lexapro in three and a half months and went through withdrawal for over a year. The first six months were just hellish.

Do try going back on one of the drugs starting with a much smaller amount than the last dose, as Alto said, and take it from there. If, say 2 mg. Lexapro helps, but not enough, add another milligram after a week to ten days. Two months off the drugs is iffy in terms of reinstatement, so listen to your body. If 2 mg. of Lexapro (or Zoloft) makes you feel terrible, stop the drug right away. It's very important to be aware of how you're reacting and to take good care of yourself in withdrawal.

If your doctor won't cooperate, find another one. He is apparently not at all familiar with antidepressant withdrawal, although unfortunately that cluelessness is more common than not.

How long have you been taking Ativan? How much do you take and how often?

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you so much dear Alto for the suggestion ..I will talk to the doctor about it.. The day he dropped the 12.5 of Zoloft, my BP shot up .. When he re -instituted 12.5 ml of Zoloft my BP again went sky high.

I am very frightened with my situation. Today, most day I was feeling as though ants were crawling beneath my skin ..My head is a mess .. With what feel like bands of electrical zaps in half of my head, and numbness and heaviness on the other half.

Also I have fatique, sleeplessness, a nasty smell in my nose, dizziness, ataxia, and no interest to eat ..Yet, I still carry the AD weight ..

I will be grateful if anyone could help me in any way . Thank you, Lexicon

Hello,

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Dear Jemima, thank you so much for writing to me ..Ativan is another issue that I am dealing with ..It was given as part of treatment for Hyperthyroid .. The dosage is 0.5 ml, and this past year (2012) I took it 4 times a day ..

I feel that it does not offer me any help any more, and wonder if it causes me harm ..

I think that at some point, I will need to taper that ..

Yesterday I had a protracted Anxiety attack, and the Ativan did nothing to help ..

I would appreciate any help you could offer me ..With gratitude, Lexicon

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you've been taking .5 mg. of Ativan four times a day for a year (I assume you mean milligrams and not milliliters, as 5 ml. of liquid could contain any amount of medication) it's probably best to keep on taking that dose for now. Ativan is addictive and it's short-acting, meaning that a person can go into withdrawal between doses, but the four times a day dosing should prevent that. It's possible that you've developed a tolerance for Ativan, but it isn't possible to tell if you're experiencing any withdrawal symptoms apart from the abrupt Lexapro and Zoloft withdrawal. I would guess probably not, but that's just a guess.

For now the important thing is to get stabilized from the abrupt antidepressant withdrawal. Trying to reduce the Ativan dosage at this point in time is likely asking for trouble.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Dear Jemima, yes the Ativan is. 5 ml in tablet form ..I worry about it, as it appears that it does not protect me from the new symptoms, which are debilitating Anxiety attacks ..

I used to have those back while on AD 'S .. Why now ..?

Also, another new symptom is not been able to get a breath of air. .. It is like being hungry for air, and not be able to get it .. My chest feels constricted ..

I am attempting to secure an appt. with the doctor, to hopefully get liquid Lexapro ..

Today I feel hopeless and discouraged .. I am grateful to have found you, Alto, and this site ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

After a sleepless night, I awoke with a stuffy., heavy head, a numb land tingly lower face, A palpitating heart, a nervous stomach. ..

Feeling depressed, and hopeless ..Can anyone please talk to me ..? Thank you for any help ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

So sorry to hear you are going through this Lexicon. The mornings can be horrible, you are not alone with this. If I had a bad morning in early withdrawal - I did find that things would often improve as the day went on.

You could try some breathing techniques, nose breathing used to help me:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1175-yoga-breathing-technique/page__fromsearch__1

Take care

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Oooh, dearest Gem ..Thank you for your kindness in responding ..But it is prolonged AD withdrawls that I go through, because of very quick tápering .. I am now in my 2nd month ..With no end in sight ..

Thank you again for your encouragement, it means so much ..!!

Take good care ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I'm so sorry! I've read the only known thing is that everything changes, we just don't know when. Are you well enough to read some success stories? I think.one valuable thing in the suffering of WD is learning gradually to cope with the pains of life without meds. I hope you learn something valuable today.

My most scary thing is mania, which I put mysel into yesterday with a med error. But I am learning some lessons...friends that will share it with me, with laughter and bring us food and tell my girls to text them if they need anything...and that even if I can't focus, doing housework that involves big muscle groups instead of details is possible. But I know too that depression is so much more stifling. Mostly just want to say your voice is heard!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I am practicing the breathing technique you so kindly send ..I am going through anxiety as I am writing this to you, and my heart is racing ..

I am a bit awkward, but I will practice .. I am grateful ..Thank you ..

Gem, how long did your racing heart last?

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

You are right dear Meimeiquest, things change, with new symptoms added .. debilitating fatique and skipped heart beats, along with neurological issues are my new problems ..I am grateful that you wrote, with kind words of encouragement ..Thank you ..

I wish wellness for you ..I will try to read success stories. ..Thank you ..

Take good care ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi lexicon,

I merged your new topic with your existing topic, we are limited to one topic per member in the Intro and Updates forum. Please add all updates in this thread. You can use your thread, here, as a journal to keep track of your symptoms and progress.

I'm very sorry you are having a bad day. Have you browsed through the Symptoms and Self-care sub-forum, yet? There is so much helpful information there.

I know this is a difficult time and you have come to the best place, IMHO, for support from people who understand and care.

If you could add your history by following directions here, it would be very helpful:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thank you, I hope you feel better soon!

I am sorry Tezza, but I am having s problem following what you want me to do .. Alto send me similar directions, and I thought I took care of it .. It appears I have not ..

I will ask someone in the household to help me ..

Thank you .. Take good care ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

lexicon, please keep track of your symptom pattern, in writing, throughout the day. This will help to identify triggers for symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Jemima, yes the Ativan is. 5 ml in tablet form ..I worry about it, as it appears that it does not protect me from the new symptoms, which are debilitating Anxiety attacks ..

I used to have those back while on AD 'S .. Why now ..?

The problem is that antidepressants actually change the way the central nervous system, of which the brain is a part, functions. Some neurotransmitters are killed off and some new ones are grown by antidepressants, and the structure is artificial and abnormal. When the drug is removed, especially when it is removed abruptly, the CNS and the brain have to struggle to get back to normal on their own, and this is the source of many withdrawal symptoms. The CNS repairs itself in very unpredictable ways and this is probably what's behind the windows and waves pattern of recovery. This is also why a very long, slow taper is important. The CNS needs that chemical support, in gradually reduced amounts, to recover normal function as painlessly as possible

So the fact that you're having anxiety attacks two months out is no surprise at all. Severe withdrawal for two months is also to be expected and it may continue for several more months. Or it may not. No one knows enough to predict how long because everyone's drug history and physiology is unique. Ativan was never meant as a cure for antidepressant withdrawal. It just takes a bit of the edge off withdrawal syndrome.

I hope this explains some of what you're experiencing and that it helps.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lexicon, that anxiety is just dreadful isn't it? I used to get that nightmare gut churning 24/7 anxiety you are describing years ago when I was taken off Zoloft too fast, it used to reduce me to tears, but Meimequest is so right, it feels like forever right now but it really won't go on forever, time passes and we slowly heal, you've come to a good place for support and understanding from people who've trod the same path.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry Tezza, but I am having s problem following what you want me to do .. Alto send me similar directions, and I thought I took care of it .. It appears I have not ..

I will ask someone in the household to help me ..

Thank you .. Take good care ..

Not to worry, dear, lexi! You will catch on after you are here for a bit.

The signature is for you to add your drug history in. Then all your meds and efforts will appear under all your posts.

I can understand your confusion. It will be ok, don't worry.

Love,

Tezza

Thank you, dear Strawberry ..

I am grateful for your words of encouragement ..Yes anxiety is terrible, along with every other symptom ..Last night I awoke at 3am, to something that felt like apnea .. I could not take a meaningful breath, and felt like I was folding ..It was like being hungry tot air, and trying to breathe was not registering .. I was very frightened .. II took a half an Ativan, finally, and was able to sleep for a bit at 6am.

Did you have this? Are you familiar with it ..?

Today, my head has been in a bad place, with heaviness, dizziness .. I needed help to get around, as my legs felt weak, and would not support me..

I wish you well .. With love and gratitude, Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Dear Lexicon

I hope the breathing technique is of some help to you xx Don't worry about getting it perfect, it comes with a bit of practice. I found it particularly good for the racing heart.

Glad to be of some encouragement :)

I’m so sorry for your suffering Lexicon, very best wishes to you xxx

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

• Moderator Emeritus

Lexicon, at my very very worst I couldn't sleep full stop I was churning up so intensely. I can't remember having the apnea you describe, but then it's all different variations on the same theme, intense anxiety from withdrawal. It's nice to find other people who've been in the same boat isn't it?

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thank you dear Strawberry, for the kind words and encouragement ..

I just cannot comprehend all this distress continuing after 2 and a half months of having dropped the SSRI 'S ..

I awoke today, with the back of my head feeling heavy and numb ..Immediately I get frightened, and my stomach and heart start acting up .. It feels like Anxiety ..

Because of the head problems my Internist wants me to have an MRI ..Did you ever have one?

And how long did your ordeal last ..?

I am grateful that you write to me ..wishing you wellness and happiness always ..with love Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Dear Jemima, you are so wonderful putting things into prospective .. Thank you for writing me .. I get encouraged from you ..

I was writing yo Strawberry, talking about the problems with my head .. what you think ..? I get so very dizzy and uncomfortable when this happens, I am not stable on my feet, and need help to get to the bathroom even ..

Did you have this? Ot have you known another with this situation?

Wishing you blessings ..Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

No I never had an MRI scan. I found my chronic symptoms lasted until I reinstated sertraline (Zoloft) then they would clear fairly rapidly.

Aaah, can you please tell me a little more about that? How long were you in distress and did you decide on your own to use the. Sertraline ..? And how much did you use and for how long?

It was suggested here that I do that, but my situation for it to work is iffy, because 2 and a half months have passed since the abrupt taper of the Sertraline .. when I asked the doctor who did the tapering, he said he did not think it will work for the long time that has passed, and also when he tried to reinstate the last dose of sertraline which was 12.5 ml, my blood pressure went sky high ..

I would be grateful for any input .. much love..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

If you're considering reinstatement, a very small amount of either Lexapro or Zoloft (NOT BOTH TOGETHER) may help your withdrawal symptoms without setting off high blood pressure.

Welcome, lexicon.

Yes, it sounds like you tapered too fast and got bad withdrawal symptoms.

In these situations, when withdrawal symptoms occur, doctors are supposed to reinstate the drug, let the patient stabilize, and taper more slowly later.

Lexapro comes in a liquid, you can get a prescription from him and take a little bit, such as 2mg to start, to see if it helps your symptoms. For more information about Lexapro, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/ Zoloft also comes in a liquid, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/ -- but I would reinstate just one of the two SSRIs.

I am suffering ..:( Today I woke up frozen cold .. No reason for it, as it was not cold at all ..

Then I started having heaviness and numbness to my head from the base of my neck, to my forehead .. It is the most distressing feeling ..:( Ativan does not help anymore .. Then dizziness set in .. My heart has been beating scarry, my tummy is in knots and hurting., my legs are totally weak, with tingles beneath the skin ..

I feel depressed, overwhelmed and hopeless ..

This situation is still with me, as I am writing this .. I am isolated, and it is a huge producion to get ready for a doctor's appt. I am blessed that a friend takes me, as I do not drive anymore ..

So I am thinking to try liquid Sertraline becauseI have some from before ..

If I start with 1 or 2 ml, what would be the worst case scenario?

Please guide me ..I will be grateful ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

The worst case is that you will feel worse, but after you stop the sertraline, in a little while you'll be back to where you are now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lexi,

If my understanding is correct, 1mL is equal to 20 mg in liquid form Sertraline. If that is right, you may only wish to take .1mL to begin with. It's usually best to start with a very small dose and go up a little a week to 10 days later, if you need to.

Do you have a tiny 1mL syringe?

• Administrator

Yes, pay attention to the difference between mg (milligrams) and mL (milliliters)!

Thank you for your care ..much love.

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Jemima, you are so wonderful putting things into prospective .. Thank you for writing me .. I get encouraged from you ..

I was writing yo Strawberry, talking about the problems with my head .. what you think ..? I get so very dizzy and uncomfortable when this happens, I am not stable on my feet, and need help to get to the bathroom even ..

Did you have this? Ot have you known another with this situation?

Wishing you blessings ..Lexi

The symptoms you describe are very typical of withdrawal. I had terrible dizzy spells and got pretty banged up by falling down in the bathroom one night in the dark. I doubt that there is anything permanently wrong with you or that an MRI will reveal any problem. Not everyone gets dizzy spells, but I think quite a few of us here in the forum have experienced them. For me, the dizziness went away after about two to three months.

Lex I also have been reading your story. Alot of us here have been in your shoes. Hang in there. I know the desperation you feel all to well.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Aww, Flower ..I weep as I read your post ..Thank you tor writing, and for your encouragement..I wishyou wellness with all my heart..I woke this morning shaking like a leaf, it looks like neurological issues ..my head is once again in a bad place, with heaviness and numbness ..Also my cheeks ..I have numbness with tingling ..

Thank you for letting me complain to you, first thing ..

I will pray for your well being ...with love and gratitude ..Lex

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I do not have one on hand, but a dear friend is bringing me one ..:)

I have been loosing faith Tezza .. The last 3 days I have been in a bad place with my head ..

It feels numb everywhere .. I then get anxious, and start the anxiety going .. knotted and painful tummy, along with my heart beating with these crazy beats.

When would I get a break? Even for a few hours .. Is it possible? 2 and a half months have passed, and I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. ..:( xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.